Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Moving in & out of using sync

djwalterdeans 7:25 AM - 27 December, 2016
Re: Pro Tip: Using Sync To Change Tempo

(serato.com)

I prefer not to use sync just because it's not how I learned and I don't like how it messes with platter control. But this article is interesting just because it would be cool to do on the spot BPM transitions.

There's some info missing from the tutorial. Which deck should I be pitching up with? Just messing around it seems like sync has to be on both decks, which it doesn't mention. What's the smoothest way to turn sync on, do a BPM transition, then turn it back off?
Tommy Deem 9:10 AM - 27 December, 2016
U can do those "on the spot" transitions without the sync...
Tommy Deem 9:11 AM - 27 December, 2016
And watch from youtube how the serato sync actually works :)
djwalterdeans 10:38 PM - 27 December, 2016
Yeah trust me I know I can switch BPMs without sync. But you can't pitch up +20% with both songs playing in the mix without sync. Let's see some of your dope on the spot BPM transitions Tommy.
DjSyndic8 8:42 AM - 28 December, 2016
Quote:
Yeah trust me I know I can switch BPMs without sync. But you can't pitch up +20% with both songs playing in the mix without sync. Let's see some of your dope on the spot BPM transitions Tommy.

sync is the best for transitioning different bpms
Serato, Support
Matt P 6:29 PM - 28 December, 2016
Hey Walter,

Whats up man.

Pressing sync on a paused track will match the bpm of the track you pressed sync on to the "Playing track"
You can mix the paused track in easily now as you don't have to match the tempos.
Once you have them lined up, you can use either pitch slider to raise the tempo of BOTH tracks. (*if using turntables, you'll need to use INT mode as analog pitch isn't recognized currently)
Once you have reached the tempo desired, you can turn sync off on the track you want to stop and mix in the next track traditionally.
Once you are finished playing the second track you can turn sync off on that track too and you are back to normal :)

*Note If you are using a controller you can use the SHIFT button to disable the pitch slider on the controller to reset the fader to wherever you want.

Hope that helps.

Sync is really fun, and can open up lots of layering possibilities too with sync available on the Sample player now available too. It can actually a lot more complex than people like to think, its far from cheating IMO
djwalterdeans 11:46 PM - 28 December, 2016
Quote:
Hey Walter,

Whats up man.

Pressing sync on a paused track will match the bpm of the track you pressed sync on to the "Playing track"
You can mix the paused track in easily now as you don't have to match the tempos.
Once you have them lined up, you can use either pitch slider to raise the tempo of BOTH tracks. (*if using turntables, you'll need to use INT mode as analog pitch isn't recognized currently)
Once you have reached the tempo desired, you can turn sync off on the track you want to stop and mix in the next track traditionally.
Once you are finished playing the second track you can turn sync off on that track too and you are back to normal :)

*Note If you are using a controller you can use the SHIFT button to disable the pitch slider on the controller to reset the fader to wherever you want.

Hope that helps.

Sync is really fun, and can open up lots of layering possibilities too with sync available on the Sample player now available too. It can actually a lot more complex than people like to think, its far from cheating IMO

Thanks man, that makes sense. Appreciate the help!
Tommy Deem 3:29 PM - 29 December, 2016
Quote:

Yes u can, u know there is pitch slider in both decks, move both needed amount to reach ur desired bpm.

I do these kind of things, for example i have 1track playing at 100bpm on deck one, took it to 110, the other deck have track which bpm is 128, i drop it to 110. Match the songs and depending on transition i can took both to 128 with pitchslidees and it sounds good.

Sync is easier way to do this though :p

For 3 decks sync is required if mixing 3 songs at the same time and pitching mix up :p with 2 songs it's not required but make it easy :)
Tommy Deem 3:31 PM - 29 December, 2016
Using turtables so i have to use pitchsliders to took both songs from 110 to 128, no easy way out from there.
Serato, Support
Matt P 5:48 PM - 29 December, 2016
Tommy Deem,

You have very limited options since you can't really move that far on standard technics SL1200's as they only have a max range of +/- 8bpm

I would assume you are using PLX or some sort of turntable that allows for +/- 50bpm or something.
Tommy Deem 8:46 PM - 29 December, 2016
Allmost, RP-7000. Had to sell my loved 1200's cause of that 8% limitation :(
Tommy Deem 8:47 PM - 29 December, 2016
But i love the thing that u actually have to work the basic functions with turntables :)
djwalterdeans 1:00 AM - 30 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes u can, u know there is pitch slider in both decks, move both needed amount to reach ur desired bpm.

I do these kind of things, for example i have 1track playing at 100bpm on deck one, took it to 110, the other deck have track which bpm is 128, i drop it to 110. Match the songs and depending on transition i can took both to 128 with pitchslidees and it sounds good.

For 3 decks sync is required if mixing 3 songs at the same time and pitching mix up :p with 2 songs it's not required but make it easy :)

There's plenty of other ways to get from 100-128. Even a simple echo/brake out to scratch in works. But we're not talking about these techniques, we're talking about the specific technique with sync in the article I posted.

Sidebar: mixing a 100 bpm songs usually sound pretty trash being played at 110 and 128 bpm songs at 110 bpm sound even worse. Just a heads up.
Tommy Deem 1:18 AM - 30 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There's plenty of other ways to get from 100-128. Even a simple echo/brake out to scratch in works. But we're not talking about these techniques, we're talking about the specific technique with sync in the article I posted.

Sidebar: mixing a 100 bpm songs usually sound pretty trash being played at 110 and 128 bpm songs at 110 bpm sound even worse. Just a heads up.

U just love to put urself above others xD just makes me laugh xD
It works just with smaller bpm range, and on spot :D

I don't say sync is bad, only that for doing on spot transitions it isn't required :D
Tommy Deem 1:34 AM - 30 December, 2016
And u said urself to do +/- 20% transition cause u do it, then u say it sounds trash xD get hold of urself :F 128->110 is besides around 14% :P which is less than that crappy +/- 20% that u use :D
djwalterdeans 2:56 AM - 30 December, 2016
Quote:
And u said urself to do +/- 20% transition cause u do it, then u say it sounds trash xD get hold of urself :F 128->110 is besides around 14% :P which is less than that crappy +/- 20% that u use :D

It's about getting from point A to point B smoothly and quickly. Moving a 100 bpm song up to 110 then mixing in a song that is slowed down 18 bpm is awkward & drags the process on to say the least. This is exactly what the technique we are talking about would avoid and why I was asking about it. Anyway, not looking to argue, keep doing your thing I'm sure you're awesome in your own way.

& Thank you Matt P for elaborating! After giving it some test runs I think I've got it.