Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Hardware Should Be Backward Compatible with Duo-Core Laptops/ Smaller Foot Print

Dj_Danny 10:48 PM - 5 December, 2016
Why can't the serato team add backward support for the Pioneer DJM-S9 to version 1.7.8 of SeratoDJ? Just invest in the the new mixer and now only my new top tier laptop can run it.

The reason I ask this is because this is the last version you guys had that supported duo core. This is my backup laptop. I am running a new quad core laptop but recently had a brand new laptop die in the middle of building overviews.

Its essential to have a backup laptop on hand. My older duo-core laptop has 4 gigs of memory and an optimized windows 7 OS. The machine ran Serato DJ without fail using DDJ-SX. You guys are seriously hurting DJ's by forcing the software to use more and more horse power. Scratch Live was the best piece of software we have DJed with and it was small and tight.

Now that you guys have exploded the software, it is not the same. So many pieces of extra things in the software such as the built in plugins etc. Using Scratch Live was a pleasure, Serato DJ is like a huge behemoth! Even takes a long time to start on new 8gig quad core laptop.

Scratch Live did everything a DJ could ask for. I have a hard time understanding why the software is so large and runs sluggish compared to Scratch. My duo/core running scratch live versus my quad core i7 running serato DJ, Scratch starts faster and I have a 30k+ library.
Hanginon 4:43 PM - 6 December, 2016
Like it or not, Serato is in business to make money - and right now in the DJ world, that means "controllers", and to be competitive in that it means you need "sync", "plugins", and so on. Software bloat is almost inevitable. Fortunately, faster CPU's are almost inevitable as well.

I certainly think they could have done a better launch of 1.9.2, reminding users that you better have something like Intel Integrated HD Graphics or better (which Intel i3's and above do have), or you might have problems. I realize core 2 duos haven't been officially supported since 1.7.8, but many were still using them - and some had graphics adapters that worked with 1.9.2 (if you were lucky), but most didn't. IMHO, this was probably an attempt to fix the erratic wave forms the SSL Groupies constantly complain about, but that's just a guess.
popnwave 8:12 PM - 10 December, 2016
Oh god - if you like SSL so much, if you like Win 3.1 so much, if you like OLD TECH so much then part out an old rig and run the OLD hardware.

Dealing with folks bitching about their old hardware on here has to be one of the most frustrating things next to idiots who steal their music. Even Rekordbox from Pioneer doesn't run well on stuff older than i3-i7 dual or quad core processors.

If you don't make enough to keep your laptop younger than 5 years old, then this is probably not a hobby or job for you. Hell even my 2012 MacBook Pro is getting long in the tooth and while I play with the betas I expect to have issues soon because that's how things evolve. I will either pony up for something newer or stick to whatever version supports my gear and leave it at that.

QUIT WITH THE WHINING!
deejdave 9:44 PM - 16 December, 2016
You are completely fumbling the term "backwards compatible".

Backwards compatibility exists when newer more capable hardware is able to run older SW or OS by method of emulation or conversion etc. A great example would be how Xbox one is backwards compatible with older XBox 360 games. The "older games" in this case would be SSL which does in fact run on newer machines so the backwards compatibility exists. Sometimes out of the box and other times using workarounds and other methods (emulation/conversion) offered by both developer and end user.

What you are asking for is your is equivalent to expecting a Playstaion 2 to run Playstation 4 games........... NOT gonna happen. Apple themselves have rendered all pre 2011 MacBook Pro's using Core2Duo processors "vintage" or "obsolete" depending on which region you live and are therefore no longer required to support said machines and they can legally do so due to their age.

If Apple themselves no longer offer support for these obsolete/vintage laptops how can you expect all DJ (and any other) apps to offer the support going forward? Furthermore when do you draw the line as expecting support forever is simply being unreasonable.
Hanginon 1:11 PM - 17 December, 2016
"Backwards Compatibilty" can only be done until it hampers future growth. Canon did it with their DSLR cameras - a whole new lens mount on their EOS series, completely different from older canon cameras, overnight obsoleting many expensive lenses. However, by doing so it enabled them to overtake Nikon is sales. There are many more examples.

Serato's fault is the poor communication they did in emphasizing the need for newer (better) hardware. Sure, it's buried in "system requirements", but nobody reads "directions" (you know, the little piece of paper that comes with everything you buy) for anything until (or after) they have problems. Their thinking is their laptops run everything else OK, why shouldn't it be able to run a relatively simple DJ Program? Probably could too, if it was coded more efficiently.