DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rain + DJ Equipment = A Bad Time! Need Pro tips

Dj-M.Bezzle 9:05 PM - 4 December, 2016
My Sat night spot is an outdoor gig. Ive been lucky for the last year and a half but last night my luck ran out. I was in the middle of a set when I felt the terror of rain drops start. I was able to get my laptop, hard drive, and QSCs packed out and out of harms way but my ttm 57, techs, surge protector, dicers, and various XLR and power cables were not as lucky, The gear was not exposed for very long, maybe 2 minutes tops as the staff and I carried the full table from the deck to the club but there was a nice coating of water on all of the above.

So my question is what is my best way of proceeding from here? The equipment has not been powered up yet but it was dried off with a towel immediately. How long should I wait before powering it all up and giving it a test run. Should I take any of it apart and give it a cleaning with some alcohol before cranking it up or since it is just a bit of rain water and not a crown and coke should I be ok. Is there anything I should be extra cautious with? I think the surge protector should just be tossed. Any experiences or tips?!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:51 PM - 4 December, 2016
Quote:
My Sat night spot is an outdoor gig. Ive been lucky for the last year and a half but last night my luck ran out. I was in the middle of a set when I felt the terror of rain drops start. I was able to get my laptop, hard drive, and QSCs packed out and out of harms way but my ttm 57, techs, surge protector, dicers, and various XLR and power cables were not as lucky, The gear was not exposed for very long, maybe 2 minutes tops as the staff and I carried the full table from the deck to the club but there was a nice coating of water on all of the above.

So my question is what is my best way of proceeding from here? The equipment has not been powered up yet but it was dried off with a towel immediately. How long should I wait before powering it all up and giving it a test run. Should I take any of it apart and give it a cleaning with some alcohol before cranking it up or since it is just a bit of rain water and not a crown and coke should I be ok. Is there anything I should be extra cautious with? I think the surge protector should just be tossed. Any experiences or tips?!

I'd say put everything in a bag of rice, but your best bet is to let everything dry for a FEW days.

Make sure there is no standing water in said items.
DJ Reflex 11:17 PM - 4 December, 2016
I feel ya...
I got caught in a downpour once and my whole coffin was wet. Wipe it down and let it dry out for a couple days. If you have a hair dryer, set it to low (or no heat) and blow it dry.

As long as your gear was not poured on or submerged, a bit of water isn't going to kill it. Open your stuff up if you can and inspect. If no moisture present, then you're fine.
Joee 11:26 PM - 4 December, 2016
Quote:

a section of my contract states as follows

"4. Purchaser Responsibilities:
4a. Purchaser will make Venue available to DJ for at least 60 minutes before the Start Time, for setup of the equipment and materials. Purchaser will make Venue available to DJ for at least 60 minutes after the End Time, for takedown of the equipment and materials. 
4b. Purchaser will provide Dj with a safe and appropriate working environment. This includes but is not limited to: a secure and sturdy 4 foot long set-up table; a standard 120-volt grounded 3-prong outlet with at least 15 amps available, from a reliable power source within 25 feet of the set-up area; a facility that completely covers and protects Dj’s equipment and materials from adverse weather conditions (e.g., direct sunlight, rain, excessive
winds); crowd control if warranted; and directions to Venue and free parking. Purchaser accepts full responsibility and is liable for any damages, injuries, or delays that occur as a result of failure to comply with this provision.
4c. Purchaser will take reasonable steps to protect Dj’s equipment, materials and personnel during Performance, setup and takedown. Any damages incurred due to lack of reasonable protection on Purchaser's part (except in the case of gross negligence or willful malfeasance by DJ) will be payable by Purchaser to the extent of repair or replacement of damaged equipment, materials, and all costs of medical treatment.
4d. Purchaser is responsible for all charges imposed by Venue. These charges may include, but are not limited to, parking, use of electric power, elevators, fire marshal, and the time before and after Performance used by Dj for setting up and taking down equipment."

they would have payed for all my sh!t!!!!!!
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:33 PM - 4 December, 2016
Cool. Thanks guys!! Ill crack it all open and do a quick inspection tonight then ill let it sit for a few days. Thanks!
Taipanic 3:58 PM - 5 December, 2016
Also, for suture events:
I picked up a commercial tent at Costco for $200. Heavier duty than the cheapie pop up tents and came with 4 walls that velcro so easy on/off. Did an island party this year in a 40mph squall, we were still rocking, no equipment damaged.
Undercover makes water proof covers for speakers that protect the speaker but let the sound pass.
Always keep a box of large garbage bags with your gear that you can use to cover everything quickly & maybe a decent sized tarp.
Kind of a pain day in and out, but better than losing gear
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:55 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Also, for suture events:
I picked up a commercial tent at Costco for $200. Heavier duty than the cheapie pop up tents and came with 4 walls that velcro so easy on/off. Did an island party this year in a 40mph squall, we were still rocking, no equipment damaged.
Undercover makes water proof covers for speakers that protect the speaker but let the sound pass.
Always keep a box of large garbage bags with your gear that you can use to cover everything quickly & maybe a decent sized tarp.

Good stuff. Ive seen the speaker covers and those are def on the list now. Im going to look into the tent, do you have a link to the one you got? I was thinking about just getting a tarp, that way in a tight spot i can just throw the tarp over everything, take the speakers in real quick, then carry the tarped up table inside
Chris Deluxe 4:59 PM - 5 December, 2016
Def use the rice to drain al moisture from the equipment. Rain is mostly distilled water so it does way less harm then tap water or other liquids. If you get it all dry you should be okay.
Taipanic 5:21 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Also, for suture events:

Good stuff. Ive seen the speaker covers and those are def on the list now. Im going to look into the tent, do you have a link to the one you got? I was thinking about just getting a tarp, that way in a tight spot i can just throw the tarp over everything, take the speakers in real quick, then carry the tarped up table inside

www.costco.com
DJ Val-BKNY11203 5:50 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also, for suture events:

www.costco.com

That's alot of loot for a 10x10
CMOS 7:27 PM - 5 December, 2016
Yeah man you can get them for like 50 bucks at walmart.
Taipanic 7:30 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also, for suture events:

www.costco.com

It's pretty solid though, plus comes with the four walls. It also has a place to put a banner along the top. I paid a lot less for mine when it was on sale at the store, I think around $140.00-150.00
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:49 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Also, for suture events:

www.costco.com

It's pretty solid though, plus comes with the four walls. It also has a place to put a banner along the top. I paid a lot less for mine when it was on sale at the store, I think around $140.00-150.00

Thats not bad. I see alot of equivalents on amazon. How long does it take to set that up?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:51 PM - 5 December, 2016
Also, update, im hoping that the amount of water it was exposed to looked like more than it was. I took the faceplate off the mixer and nothing looked wet or damaged. I didnt open up the TTs but i would assume the equivalent. Im going to set it all up tonight or tomorrow and see where im at
Taipanic 8:22 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:

Thats not bad. I see alot of equivalents on amazon. How long does it take to set that up?

With 3-4 people to walk out the legs, it only takes about 5 minutes. the walls just velcro so you can add them in a few minutes if you need to.
Taipanic 8:24 PM - 5 December, 2016
Take it out of the case (I leave the top attached), spread the legs out, click top and legs into place, done.
Logisticalstyles 1:51 PM - 6 December, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
Yeah man you can get them for like 50 bucks at walmart.

There's a big difference between those tents. I have both and I can tell you the $50 Walmart tent will not last long or be as effective as the Cosco tent. If Bezzle just needs it for the occasional rain shower then the $50 Walmart tent will suffice but if he want's to use it weekly then I would say invest in the more expensive tent.
Taipanic 2:47 PM - 6 December, 2016
Whenever I've used the cheapie tents I usually end up having to put a tarp over the top of the tent also, as they usually start leaking through after a few minutes of rain.
Papa Midnight 5:37 PM - 6 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

a section of my contract states as follows

"4. Purchaser Responsibilities:
4a. Purchaser will make Venue available to DJ for at least 60 minutes before the Start Time, for setup of the equipment and materials. Purchaser will make Venue available to DJ for at least 60 minutes after the End Time, for takedown of the equipment and materials. 
4b. Purchaser will provide Dj with a safe and appropriate working environment. This includes but is not limited to: a secure and sturdy 4 foot long set-up table; a standard 120-volt grounded 3-prong outlet with at least 15 amps available, from a reliable power source within 25 feet of the set-up area; a facility that completely covers and protects Dj’s equipment and materials from adverse weather conditions (e.g., direct sunlight, rain, excessive
winds); crowd control if warranted; and directions to Venue and free parking. Purchaser accepts full responsibility and is liable for any damages, injuries, or delays that occur as a result of failure to comply with this provision.
4c. Purchaser will take reasonable steps to protect Dj’s equipment, materials and personnel during Performance, setup and takedown. Any damages incurred due to lack of reasonable protection on Purchaser's part (except in the case of gross negligence or willful malfeasance by DJ) will be payable by Purchaser to the extent of repair or replacement of damaged equipment, materials, and all costs of medical treatment.
4d. Purchaser is responsible for all charges imposed by Venue. These charges may include, but are not limited to, parking, use of electric power, elevators, fire marshal, and the time before and after Performance used by Dj for setting up and taking down equipment."

they would have payed for all my sh!t!!!!!!

I see I'm not the only one. Yours doesn't look to different from my own.

Here's some of the text I have:

Ensure that there is a level performance area no less than 6’ X 4’ within reasonable distance of a working 120 volt, 20 amps grounded outlet, there is atable which is at least 5’ X 2.5’ to set-up equipment on, and, in the event of outdoor events, there is sufficient overhead cover for all equipment from elements

The performing artist has viable access (this includes parking) to the set-up area at least one hour before and one hour after the performance for set-up and tear down of equipment.

All reasonable steps are taken to protect the performing artist and his/her equipment against damage resulting from unsafe conditions or actions of the client, its employees, agents or guests.

Ensure that neither the Client nor its employees, agents or guests operate, move, or retain any of the performing artist’s equipment at any time.

The performing artist, in order to prevent equipment damage or liability arising from accidental injury to any individual in attendance, reserves the right to deny any guest access to their equipment. This includes the use of microphones.

Eject or remove any employee, agent or guest, at the performing artist’s request (within reason), due to extenuating circumstances.

Accept full liability and responsibility for any damages, injuries, or delays that result from failure to comply with any of these provisions at any time during this event.

Any delay in the performance or damage to the performing artist’s equipment due to improper power is the responsibility of the Client and legal action may be taken to recover damages.

The artist reserves the right to cease performance for anycircumstances deemed to be a real or implied threat to them,their equipment, or any attending guest. They shall not resume performance until the client has resolved all issues within a reasonable time period at which time the performance shall resume in accordance with the original terms of the agreement.

It is understood that if this is a “Rain or Shine” event, the performing artist’s compensation will be in no way affected by inclement weather. The performing artist reserves the right, in good faith, to stop or cancel the performance should the weather pose a potential danger to him/her, the equipment, or attending persons.
dj_soo 6:01 PM - 8 December, 2016
I once did a gig where they didn't put a gutter section over a pair of tents and water just leaked all the way through in what was more or less a waterfall - right into my 57.

I let it dry out and it worked, although most of the buttons were fucked. I opened it up and sprayed the buttons down with deoxit and they worked flawlessly and the mixer still works today being used weekly.

As much as I enjoy my 62, the build quality and longevity doesn't even come close to the original 57.
DJ Remy USA 6:11 PM - 8 December, 2016
It's a little late but summers here I do a lot of out door gigs and have to deal with unexpected rain a lot.

I purchased a jumbo sized poncho cut it down the seams to spread it wide and it's folded nice in my DJ bag in a pocket doesn't take up much space it's saved my ass. I just toss the poncho over the DJ table at least then your shit won't get soaked
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:47 PM - 8 December, 2016
I went ahead and set everything up and gave it a "dry run" (lol pardon the pun) last night and everything appeared to be in working order. I noticed the pitch was off a bit on one of the tables but i dint think thats related and may have been like that for some time. What suprised me was the dicers were fine, i kinda expected those to suffer a little.

Quote:
It's a little late but summers here I do a lot of out door gigs and have to deal with unexpected rain a lot.

I purchased a jumbo sized poncho cut it down the seams to spread it wide and it's folded nice in my DJ bag in a pocket doesn't take up much space it's saved my ass. I just toss the poncho over the DJ table at least then your shit won't get soaked

Thats a great idea!