DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Rane 62 or DJM‑S9

djsatony 7:00 PM - 2 December, 2016
I currently use a 62 but was wondering if I should switch to S9. For those of you who had experiences with both of these mixers what are the pros and cons. & should I make the switch or just stick with the 62?
DJ_Mav 7:36 PM - 2 December, 2016
Just picked up the s9 a month ago. I am loving it. I would see if you can go demo it somewhere first if possible. Also a very excellent sounding mixer. A few things to note:
-Only one effect can be selected at a time
-Only one pad mode selected at a time
-No split Cue
Other than those this is a very solid mixer so far.
Let me know if you wanna know anything specifically
Mr. Goodkat 10:27 PM - 2 December, 2016
you can use 2 efx at a time on the s9
djsatony 12:47 AM - 3 December, 2016
Thanks for the info guys, personally I like the bigger pads despite the fact I use a dicer but other than that are there any benefits regarding to s9 compared to the 62? maybe like the fader, sounds, etc
Dj_Nix 1:05 AM - 3 December, 2016
ssl lol
Niro 4:35 AM - 3 December, 2016
I have 2 of each. The S9 is simple and is very limited when you try and midi map the knobs and buttons.

Pros of the S9
8 colored pads
Paddle effects lever.
Usb is accessible
Xlr's are at the bottom
Simple

Cons
Can't midi map the load section independently
Load section is redundant
Loop assinment is meh
Loop scroll should be a knob
Don't like the cuing system
Pioneer gain structure is unpredictable
Fader caps stay on, but there's play
Effect buttons unassignable
Construction of Tension system on fader is not durable.
Crossfader is not user replaceable
Upfaders are cheap alps fader
No split cue (i don't use it, but some people like it)
Only 1 year warranty

S9 is a fun mixer, but could have and still be a really good mixer with some software upgrades and open up the mixer for full mapping.
Mr. Goodkat 3:18 AM - 4 December, 2016
Quote:
Only 1 year warranty

will be interesting to see how these hold up and get serviced if they don't.
Niro 3:27 AM - 4 December, 2016
Buddy of mine had his serviced for a crossfader. It was about 5-6 weeks.
Niro 3:28 AM - 4 December, 2016
Probably different for everyone since you actually send it to a service center, not pioneer.
desmorider 4:57 AM - 4 December, 2016
What is the best price for a new 62 now? Dealers must be running out of stock by now.
Mr. Goodkat 6:30 AM - 4 December, 2016
not gonna lie, i dont think my 62 is gonna withstand a ton of abuse. i remember my homie telling me it felt cheap, but hes a guru and i didnt get it. it actually makes me pay attention to the condition and not to fuck it up. its a flawed but great sounding mixer imo
Niro 10:39 AM - 4 December, 2016
Quote:
not gonna lie, i dont think my 62 is gonna withstand a ton of abuse. i remember my homie telling me it felt cheap, but hes a guru and i didnt get it. it actually makes me pay attention to the condition and not to fuck it up. its a flawed but great sounding mixer imo

I don't think any mixer with DVS controlls will take a beating. There are just too many moving parts being pushed, pulled, drummed on...etc. even if it did last a long time, the software supporting might not be there to support it. We also live in such a consumerist society and just itching to buy something new and maybe better or not.

Since i assign colors to my cue points, it's really hard to go back. I use to be able to do everything on my 62, now I carry a midi fighter so i can use the S9. :(

The future for DJ gear will be very interesting.
djsatony 6:37 PM - 5 December, 2016
thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. For now it seems 62 will do. I don't currently use SSL but I guess it's a plus for the 62. I probably will try out the S9 sometime in the future to try out the fader and what not.
djsatony 6:41 PM - 5 December, 2016
Quote:
thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it. For now it seems 62 will do. I don't currently use SSL but I guess it's a plus for the 62. I probably will try out the S9 sometime in the future to try out the fader and what not.

Btw only problem I have with the 62 is mostly the buttons (couple of my button is stuck and isn't responsive). They're small and sometimes unresponsive. That's the reason why S9 seemed so useful in comparison. For now I guess the dicer will do, & I also love the customer service for Rane.
Culprit 1:20 AM - 6 December, 2016
when it comes to features, the S9 is king and slowly becoming the standard in over here in Southern California. I like the Rane 62 sound output and dedicated sound control for the aux output against the software controlled output of the S9.

To date though, the mixer with the best output I have ever heard was the allen and heath xone 92

www.allen-heath.com

If i could get an S9 style Allen and Heath i'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd pay up to 2k for it easy..
djsatony 5:46 PM - 6 December, 2016
Quote:
when it comes to features, the S9 is king and slowly becoming the standard in over here in Southern California. I like the Rane 62 sound output and dedicated sound control for the aux output against the software controlled output of the S9.

To date though, the mixer with the best output I have ever heard was the allen and heath xone 92

www.allen-heath.com

If i could get an S9 style Allen and Heath i'd buy it in a heartbeat. I'd pay up to 2k for it easy..

Thanks for the input! I also have club residencies in socal /LA area but most of them still use 62 for their main mixer. Still haven't came across the S9. it's either 62 or the big 4 channel mixers for CDJ users
Culprit 5:51 PM - 6 December, 2016
What areas dude? Let's link up. I'm in the pasadena and fullerton area alot.
djsatony 10:00 PM - 6 December, 2016
Quote:
What areas dude? Let's link up. I'm in the pasadena and fullerton area alot.

DM me mostly clubs in LA like, belasco, busbys,playhouse, random lounges, and a lot of bars by the beach like sharkeez, american junkies normally but I do occasionally go in as a guest dj to different areas.
Niro 12:47 AM - 7 December, 2016
A few places in my area boight S9's and they sat around for awhile, because a lot of people were still on SSL or playing DJ's that are still using SSL.

It's starting to slowly take thou. Especially after the whole Rane buy out and people forcing themselves to switch over.
djsatony 12:56 AM - 7 December, 2016
Quote:
A few places in my area boight S9's and they sat around for awhile, because a lot of people were still on SSL or playing DJ's that are still using SSL.

It's starting to slowly take thou. Especially after the whole Rane buy out and people forcing themselves to switch over.

I too recently just migrated from SSL to serato DJ but I could see about an year or two S9 being the industry standard.
Mr. Goodkat 3:24 AM - 7 December, 2016
i dont see a club keeping the pads in working order on a week in week out basis for more than a year. i would see the 4 channel 900 type mixer being the standard
eugguy 7:41 PM - 7 December, 2016
loving my 62. just hate the bright cue / lights.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:54 PM - 8 December, 2016
Tracking. Love my 62. Only problem is the faders stiffen up and I have to apply the old selleys (australian equivalent of the rane-reccomended dupont lubricant). Ive had to open it up quite a few times now, because I mostly practice cuts and backspinning, the faders, espescially crossfader stiffens up. After applying the selleys you should be able to physiclly blow on the fader and it should go from one side to the other. But after a few thousand cuts it just stiffens up again. Getting annoying. Feature-wise the 62 has plenty.

Its probably a want more than a need but i have my eye on the S9.

Keen to hear more experience / advice from people who have switched over.
desmorider 11:54 PM - 8 December, 2016
If anyone has a like new 62 they want to trade for a like me s9, hit me up. I'm in Virginia.
djsatony 8:01 AM - 10 December, 2016
Quote:
If anyone has a like new 62 they want to trade for a like me s9, hit me up. I'm in Virginia.

I would be down for a trade. but I live in Socal. Is there any secure way to go through with this transaction?
DJ Matty Stiles 8:56 AM - 10 December, 2016
^ Neighbours!