DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Sennheiser HD8 or Pioneer HDJ 2000mk2

TrickOrBeat 3:21 PM - 27 November, 2016
Goodmorning Everyone,

I just bought Pioneer DDJ sx2 and he need a best friend, a high class best friend who will stay with him and make a great combination.
I'm talking about Headphones.
I hear a good review about Pioneer HDJ 2000mk2, but the seller told me that there's no warranty for this product (Is it true??)
So he recommend Sennheiser HD8 which has Two years warranty.

Which is the better Headphones in a term of quality of sound and durability?
I usually play Hip hop and Progressive music.
eugguy 4:13 AM - 29 November, 2016
Both suck. I have both btw. Use Sennheiser HD25. The end.
djnonstopla323 11:07 AM - 29 November, 2016
I pulled the trigger on the HD8's
DJ Matty Stiles 11:32 AM - 29 November, 2016
Where I'm from, the only Sennheisers permissable are the HD25s. You're laughed at if you wear another type of sennies.

I can vouch for them. I've used the same pair for 11 years. 11 YEARS. Do you know how many gigs / practice sessions that is? Theyve been stepped on, thrown at the bottom of my DJ bag, dropped countless times and they still go strong. Best investment along with my SL3 I've ever made. The only thing that needed replacing was the ear pads, which senhhieser replaced for peanuts (Sennheiser outlet is just a 10 minute drive from my place). Thats the thing about them, every single part is replaceable. It's no wonder theyre industry standard. Theyre very light and comfortable too. Great for those long gigs.

Those are my practical ones and my beats are my "swag" ones if you can still call them that.

All the new kids are buying beats complain when they break or the leather on the headand peels off just after a few years and I just shake my head and point to my trusty old HD25s.
dj_soo 9:21 PM - 29 November, 2016
H6 - H8s are supposed to be their updates to the hd25s.

I'd hate to live in a place where your choice of headphone matters so much to other djs...
eugguy 10:14 PM - 29 November, 2016
Headphones are an integral part to a dj's setup. To the newer school dj who screen reads and uses guided visual cues, maybe not so much. If there was an order to sound quality I'd say HD8, HDJ2000mk2, HD25. In terms of functionality, fit and value, the HD25 all day. HD8s are not an update. The Amperior was actually an attempt to revise the model, but since then they have been discontinued. There was a recent update to the HD25 line which includes deluxe and light models.
dj_soo 12:09 AM - 30 November, 2016
I guess they are more of a new line specifically catering to DJs where the HD25 was supposed to be broadcast headphones that happened to be adopted by DJs.

I know a lot of people complain about the on-ear style of the HD25s as well so this is a full-cup alternative.

Personally, I liked the sound of the HD8s when I auditioned them in the shop and they felt very comfortable for me, but I have no reason to change my 9 year old HD25s that still work perfectly so I'll probably just keep on trucking with them until I absolutely have to get a new pair of headphones...
TrickOrBeat 4:54 AM - 30 November, 2016
Thank you for the quick response.
Quote:
Both suck. I have both btw. Use Sennheiser HD25. The end.

Quote:
Where I'm from, the only Sennheisers permissable are the HD25s. You're laughed at if you wear another type of sennies.

Quote:
Personally, I liked the sound of the HD8s when I auditioned them in the shop and they felt very comfortable for me, but I have no reason to change my 9 year old HD25s that still work perfectly

I only tried Sennheiser HD25 and Pioneer HDj 2000 mk1, since the store only have these 2 Headphones for trial.
And i have to agree in terms of quality, i go with HD25 all the way. (Note: They're not use any amp, the Headphones only connected to mixer). My only complain is that the "on-ear style" of HD25. Will it matter much for DJing? As a professional DJ, do you guys able to mixing with such a lot noise? (maybe not a lot, but still not the best isolation)

Quote:
If there was an order to sound quality I'd say HD8, HDJ2000mk2, HD25. In terms of functionality, fit and value, the HD25 all day.

I see, so right now my new Dilemma is that i have to choose between Sennheiser HD25 or HD8, because HD25 price is better that HD8 considering that it can live for 11 Years according to the testimonial.
DJ Matty Stiles 7:01 AM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
I'd hate to live in a place where your choice of headphone matters so much to other djs...

believe me it sucks
TrickOrBeat 3:38 AM - 16 December, 2016
Thanks guys, Just bought HD8 and its awesome.
Thick bass and super isolation.
with this Headphone i hope i can improve my mixing skills.

Cheers
djnonstopla323 7:16 AM - 16 December, 2016
Quote:
Thanks guys, Just bought HD8 and its awesome.
Thick bass and super isolation.
with this Headphone i hope i can improve my mixing skills.

Cheers

Great choice I have them and love them.
Laz219 5:32 AM - 18 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

believe me it sucks

Maybe it's because I've always had HD25s so nobody has ever mentioned it to me....but I don't think I've ever once had someone comment to me on my headphones in Sydney or Melbourne.
CMOS 4:12 PM - 18 December, 2016
Ive had a younger dude say something snide about my HD-25s, dude asked me if i made them myself because of the exposed wires going into the cups.

I asked him to try them out and compare them to his beats, he wasnt a dick and agreed they sound better.

Then i asked how his beats hold up, he said hes on his third pair in like 3 years. I told him mines were now 11 years old with all original parts other than new pads and cost 100 less than his beats.

I hadda help him pick his jaw off the floor.
Laz219 9:27 PM - 18 December, 2016
Yeah, I've had a few (non-DJ) friends since headphones became a fashion accessory comment about how my HD25s 'look cheap'
Headphone appearance has never bothered me, I just love the senns because they are good for pretty much everything, wouldn't use anything else to DJ with and they are so light and comfortable for travelling with. I always remember the HDJ1000s would leave my ears hurting for a few hours after a long set because they clamped so tight.
dj_soo 7:07 AM - 19 December, 2016
hd25s are basically the technics of headphones now
DJ GaFFle 4:09 PM - 19 December, 2016
Most of you guys praise them but I really don't like the HD25's anymore. To me, they're flimsy and disjointed:

... The head-crown pads come loose because they're held on with weak sticky tape.
... The exposed wires on the ear-cup insertion-point connections come loose.
... It was nearly impossible to find a coil cord for them to replace the lame straight cord cable.
... They look hella awkward; every time I see a broadcaster on TV with them during a game, they always sit crooked over their ears.
... Because of their split head design, the cabling can easily become entangled when pulling them out your transport bag.

Granted, mine have not broken or snapped in any places like most headphones do but they just look crummy even though they aren't my primary set. It's like they're the diva of headphones as far as daily usage and treatment is concerned.
AsBest 9:33 PM - 10 November, 2017
I think all cheap djs like sennh's because of troubles with ears... Nothing od SH can't be compared to even cheapest of Pioneer.
NUdisc0 10:48 PM - 10 November, 2017
HD8. They isolate more and are more durable than the HDJ2000. Though I have both, I still prefer in ear monitors (Shure se215)
Laz219 2:36 AM - 11 November, 2017
Quote:
I think all cheap djs like sennh's because of troubles with ears... Nothing od SH can't be compared to even cheapest of Pioneer.

Assuming I'm reading this right...that nothing Sennheiser make compares to the cheapest pioneers?
NUdisc0 3:03 AM - 11 November, 2017
HD25 are simply the best. They isolate well, stay on your head, are durable, modular, and super loud.
9684762 7:51 PM - 12 November, 2017
I used to show up at the party with a pair of Koss Porta Pro on ear headphones. they worked surprisingly well, but they probably wouldn't do well against the SPL seen at any decent dance club. I might get teased now and then for using them, but when the needle drops, the BS stops.

I've since then upgraded to a pair of Technics RPDH-1200s, but with those recently broken, I'm stuck with my backup set, the KOSS PRODJ100w. they're nice, but not so great on the sound isolation and I end up having to turn them all the way up to hear what I'm doing in some setups.

the HD8s are looking pretty good though. I will need to go check them out.