DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Oldskool DJ trying to move with the times

DJ Hawkeye 5:04 AM - 27 November, 2016
Greetings fellow DJs

Little bit of background. I started DJing in 1990, but packed away the gear about 5 years ago, all analog gear (1200s and a mixer). Nothing digital.

After having a play on a little Numark mixtrack pro a friend bought I've decided to get back into DJing, make the move to the 21st century and embrace the digital world.

I just wanted some help and opinions as to the best way to upgrade.

I still have my SL1200 mk2's and they're as solid as the day I bought them. I would need to upgrade my mixer, as the old Numark Ive got has seen much better days.

I have no desire to play out, this will be for home use only. Saying that Im only interested in quality gear.

So the big question. Do I stick with the 1200's and upgrade to DVS or do I move to a controller? Cost isn't the biggest factor.

I'm familiar with the decks, and as a home set up, portability isn't a big issue. Am I however delaying the inevitable by staying with turntables? Should I just make a move to a controller now?

In controllers I liked the look of the Numark NS7iii. If I stayed with decks I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a Rane 62. Am I right in assuming the Rane means I dont need SL2/3? This is integrated into the mixer right?

Interested to hear your opinions, particularly older guys/gals like myself who started out on decks.
roy rohypnol 8:18 AM - 27 November, 2016
Hello mate

Personally, I was in the exact boat as you.

I can't tell you what to buy as that's your choice. But, I kept my turntables and went with a ttm57mk2 and I feel it was definitely the best choice. I tried controller mixing but just found it really unsatisfying. With a serato mixer though you got the best of both worlds. Extra functionality to bring into the mix if you want it and still 'hands on'.

Hope this helps, any questions just ask.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 9:55 AM - 27 November, 2016
If you are not big on playing out and just looking at something for Home use to get "up to date" take a look at the AKAI AMX and AFX here serato.com

With the DVS expansion pack - it allows you to use your 1200s and the AKAI AMX gives you all the flashy buttons and features of a controller serato.com

Quite a few reviews on youtube if you want to learn more...
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 10:03 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
t allows you to use your 1200s and the AKAI AMX gives you all the flashy buttons and features of a controller serato.com

Ooops meant to say Akai AFX is the one that adds controller effects to the AMX.

I have been on 1200's since the 80's and don't feel comfortable on a controller. I use 1 turntable and instant doubles with the Akai AMX mixer - just as small a footprint as most pro controllers but just a tad heavier,

I just bought the Akai AFX to compliment the AMX mixer and keep up with the flash light controller boys...

Only real drawback is no built in microphone
DJ Hawkeye 11:30 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
I kept my turntables and went with a ttm57mk2 and I feel it was definitely the best choice.

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at the TTM. I'm used to scratch mixers, and that reminds me a lot of the old technics DX1200 I used to have (dont know why I ever sold that). Does the TTM57 come in built with Serato or would I need SL2 on top? Was there a reason you decided to go with what Im guessing is essentially a battle mixer over something like the sixty two?
DJ Hawkeye 11:43 AM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:

I have been on 1200's since the 80's and don't feel comfortable on a controller. I use 1 turntable and instant doubles with the Akai AMX mixer - just as small a footprint as most pro controllers but just a tad heavier,

I just bought the Akai AFX to compliment the AMX mixer and keep up with the flash light controller boys...

I have no experience with Akai mixers. Taking a look the price is pretty good, although thats not a major factor. Whats the fader like? I tend to be a bit hard on faders, so want something durable.

Do you feel that the Akai set-up would keep me satisfied? I know what Im like and somrtimes if I go lower to mid range on an item it will last me a year and I'l be wanting to upgrade. I usually just try and bite the bullet first time round and get something top quality so I dont buy twice. Saying that theres so many buttons and functions on these new mixers I'll probably struggle to make use of them for years!!
roy rohypnol 12:24 PM - 27 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I kept my turntables and went with a ttm57mk2 and I feel it was definitely the best choice.

Thanks for the feedback. I've looked at the TTM. I'm used to scratch mixers, and that reminds me a lot of the old technics DX1200 I used to have (dont know why I ever sold that). Does the TTM57 come in built with Serato or would I need SL2 on top? Was there a reason you decided to go with what Im guessing is essentially a battle mixer over something like the sixty two?

The ttm57 has serato built in. I went with that over the 62 as at the time there was a lot of problems with the buttons whereas the 57 has great buttons which will last, it also doesn't look like a light show which I would just find confusing and annoying.
Niro 3:29 PM - 27 November, 2016
If you're use to turntables, stick with them and get a Rane 57Mk2, 62, Mixar Duo or S9. You will keep the fun of DJing on turntables, but also add some controls features of a controller. IMO, a controller gets really boring really quick.
RonDu 6:04 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:

LMAO
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:17 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

LMAO

You know how it is... back in the day we'd have to play 2 records at the same time with a finger drag to get the flange, whoosh, phase sound - now you have a button and knob.

That cue point drumming is becoming the "next" big thing.

Pretty soon - you'll need to bang the flashy light pads to stay relevant -lol

Actually I also bought the AFX to learn how to do Serato Flips easier so I can do quick hitters maybe, I'm not real big on effects and other DJ Jedi Mind tricks while playing out

Just have to figure the learning curve.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:56 PM - 28 November, 2016
Quote:
Greetings fellow DJs

Little bit of background. I started DJing in 1990, but packed away the gear about 5 years ago, all analog gear (1200s and a mixer). Nothing digital.

After having a play on a little Numark mixtrack pro a friend bought I've decided to get back into DJing, make the move to the 21st century and embrace the digital world.

I still have my SL1200 mk2's and they're as solid as the day I bought them. I would need to upgrade my mixer, as the old Numark Ive got has seen much better days.

I have no desire to play out, this will be for home use only. Saying that Im only interested in quality gear.

So the big question. Do I stick with the 1200's and upgrade to DVS or do I move to a controller? Cost isn't the biggest factor.

I'm familiar with the decks, and as a home set up, portability isn't a big issue. Am I however delaying the inevitable by staying with turntables? Should I just make a move to a controller now?

In controllers I liked the look of the Numark NS7iii. If I stayed with decks I'd probably just bite the bullet and get a Rane 62. Am I right in assuming the Rane means I dont need SL2/3? This is integrated into the mixer right?

Interested to hear your opinions, particularly older guys/gals like myself who started out on decks.

Heres what you need to do. Log off the forum. Create a new account. Log in on that account. Find this thread. Read the original post and reply with your honest personal thoughts and feelings. Log out of that account, log back in with your old accout and read the last response on the thread and take his advice
hersh20 8:14 PM - 28 November, 2016
id stay away from Rane for the time being. Pioneer has some good options.
dj_soo 7:51 AM - 29 November, 2016
mixar is an unproven company, but the pedigree isn't bad (db technologies which is a subsidiary of RCF) and the duos comes at a decent price point.

Pioneer S9 if you're feeling spendy.
Mr. Goodkat 8:11 AM - 29 November, 2016
def stick with the turntables and mixer.

ill throw into the mix a native instruments z2 and a sl2/3 sound card as an option.

its a dope little mixer and you could use traktor with the mixer or serato with the soundcard and easily midi map it.

then you could see if you like traktor or serato better.
DJ Matty Stiles 12:03 PM - 29 November, 2016
Welcome back fam, we need cats like you to keep it alive! Never let go of your passion.

If you have your heart set on it get a controller they can do lots of fancy things BUT a Rane 62 and, more recently the new Pioneer DJM S9 can do cue points, loops, effects and most of the good stuff that controllers have.

You have lots of options, you can in fact get the best of both worlds, if you really want and get a controller with a DVS expansion pack and hook your turntables up to that.

I am a turntable owner myself, and I'm telling you, if you're used to a large moving platter, if youre used to the tactile nature of your technics, then don't leave! Once you get your hands on those little iddy bitty platters of controllers, you'll think to yourself "the fuck is this?!" and lets be honest, theyre kind of gay. Justified or not, they do have a stigma.

If you get a 62 or an S9 you will not need a soundcard. They have soundcards built in. I personally have a 62 and love it. I'm tempted to by an S9 but its definately a want rather than a need.

If you wanna be a cheapskate you can get a soundcard and use the old mixer, but I definately like your thinking. Go large and get a solid mixer.

Turntables will never die. Technics did resume production after all. It's not a niche. Go to any good club and youll see cats on turntables.

As far as the Traktor / Serato debate goes. If you're into hip hop, youll probably like serato. If youre a dance DJ, you still may very well like serato but might want to give traktor a whirl to see what is best for you. Personally I hate traktor, can't stand it. I find Serato is a lot more intuitive.

Welcome back. Get a nice mixer (S9, 62, 57 mk2) and you probably won't regret it.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:22 PM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:
Personally I hate traktor, can't stand it

That made me LOL... the hate is strong in this one!

Serato Scratchlive (and Serato DJ too I guess) had a ton of intuitive stuff that made it better like the Serato Circles on both sides that give you all the details (BPM, time left, percentage of track, etc) and looks like a record kinda, to stuff like the Tempo Match icicles at the top and parallel wave forms. All that shit made Serato great.

DJ Hawkeye - once you get into digital and those little things I mentioned above in Serato WITH CONTROL VINYL - you'll ALMOST never want to spin real vinyl again....

I never liked the Traktor interface also -lol.
RonDu 5:00 PM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:
Once you get your hands on those little iddy bitty platters of controllers, you'll think to yourself "the fuck is this?!" and lets be honest, theyre kind of gay. Justified or not, they do have a stigma.

LMAO @ the lack of political correctness!
Gio Alex 6:46 PM - 29 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Once you get your hands on those little iddy bitty platters of controllers, you'll think to yourself "the fuck is this?!" and lets be honest, theyre kind of gay. Justified or not, they do have a stigma.

LMAO @ the lack of political correctness!

LOL Right!?!?! Just ZERO of it.
DJ Matty Stiles 7:04 AM - 30 November, 2016
Trump just got elected does political correctness even exist anymore? Sorry to offend the controller owners. I'm just being real and trying to help an OG out. Peace
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 3:17 PM - 30 November, 2016
^^^ the flashy light boyz will get offended
Gio Alex 4:52 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
^^^ the flashy light boyz will get offended

For sure they will.
DTweed 5:36 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Greetings fellow DJs

I have't read anyone else's post but my suggestion is find a used Rane TTM 57 on ebay which will get you into DVS and a quality mixer. Get a decent spec laptop and you're good to go if you just want to rock out at home and play tunes. That should more than suffice and the mixer shouldn't cost any more than $450-$500 and it allows you to play regular vinyl and still utilize your 1200s
Logisticalstyles 6:51 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
def stick with the turntables and mixer.

ill throw into the mix a native instruments z2 and a sl2/3 sound card as an option.

its a dope little mixer and you could use traktor with the mixer or serato with the soundcard and easily midi map it.

then you could see if you like traktor or serato better.

That's the route I'm going. I'm just not sure if I'll use an SL2 or the Denon box. I already have the Z2 and love it as a mixer. Still trying to get the hang of Traktor for now.
Mr. Goodkat 9:31 PM - 30 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Greetings fellow DJs

I have't read anyone else's post but my suggestion is find a used Rane TTM 57 on ebay which will get you into DVS and a quality mixer. Get a decent spec laptop and you're good to go if you just want to rock out at home and play tunes. That should more than suffice and the mixer shouldn't cost any more than $450-$500 and it allows you to play regular vinyl and still utilize your 1200s

dude said he had plenty of money, this wouldnt make much sense unless he has an old computer with an old os
Taipanic 9:56 PM - 30 November, 2016
Stay with vinyl for sure, unless you want to try the controller route. What do you play, what is your mixing style? Rotary mixer or upfaders? Serato, Traktor, Rekordbox, or all of the above?
While big & pricey for home use, the Pioneer DDJ-SZ can be used for all three programs and is DVS ready for turntables as well. If you look around enough you should be able to find a decent, non-abused one for under $1k. It would cover all of your bases and you would probably never need to upgrade from that setup.
If you want a rotary mixer, the Rane MP2015 is the best deal. Serato compatible, top quality components. The 2 channel MP2014 is not yet Serato certified I believe (and may never be).
For a 2 channel, I'd probably go with the Pioneer S9 or the Native Instruments Z2 if you want to save some bucks, along with an SL3 or the new Denon Serato box.