DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

XDJ 1000 MK2

DJ DU 9:25 AM - 25 November, 2016
Does any know Serato will be supporting the XDJ 1000 MK2 anytime soon? Now that the DJM 900 Nexus 2 and CDJ Nexus 2 is supported in Beta I would love to leave Rekordbox DJ and come back to Serato.
Culprit 11:34 PM - 25 November, 2016
I would love support for this as well. This is a good thread to start rallying user support.

Also anyone going to NAMM 2017 should let the booth personnel know that we want pioneer and serato to work together to make this happen.
jimiBARRZ 5:05 AM - 6 December, 2016
i hope so too! i connected my decks today, and serato dj recognizes them as midi devices, but they do not work. i will return these tomorrow, as all of my crates are in serato dj. i wish vestax or even rane would do a killer controller again!
djvtyme85 4:13 AM - 7 December, 2016
i know we are in a serato forum but i will say rekordbox is solid in my experience. if i had pioneer xdjs or the new cdjs i'd look into converting. the days of serato hid are only going to be longer and longer waits now that pio is pusher their own dvs
dj_soo 5:40 AM - 9 December, 2016
Quote:
i i wish vestax or even rane would do a killer controller again!

Vestax is gone. It might come back as a high-end mixer company but that's up in the air.

Rane has been sold to InMusic which actually might result in a controller, but I could see them keeping Rane as their high-end mixer division, denon, as the high-end controller division and Numark as the entry and midlevel controller division.
DJ DU 7:56 AM - 14 December, 2016
Quote:
i know we are in a serato forum but i will say rekordbox is solid in my experience. if i had pioneer xdjs or the new cdjs i'd look into converting. the days of serato hid are only going to be longer and longer waits now that pio is pusher their own dvs

I've used Rekordbox DJ Performance mode for 2 months now and it's very unstable especially using their video plug-in. I have a 2.6GHz i7 Macbook Pro with 8 gigs of ram and it could keep up and crash multiple time at my gigs,
djvtyme85 1:44 PM - 26 December, 2016
i've used it with no crashes on a 2010 mac with 2.55ghz 8gb ram. only used it in performance mode with a ddj sz. no video
DJ DU 4:06 AM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
i've used it with no crashes on a 2010 mac with 2.55ghz 8gb ram. only used it in performance mode with a ddj sz. no video

I use video at every show :(
TheMasterOfCeremony 9:41 PM - 14 February, 2017
Hey guys, I'm more of an old school vinyl guy, using Numark TTX's for the past 8-9 years with serato.

One of my turntables recently broke down and I was thinking to maybe switch over to the XDJ-1000MK2's to have a lighter setup (being a mobile DJ who doesn't enjoy using a controller), in conjunction with my DJM-S9 mixer.

XDJ's would be lighter and smaller to transport than a pair of regular TT's and I would finally get rid of all the issues I've encountered with people bumping into the dj booth and the needle skipping, that or just he regular rumble from the sound system.

What are your thoughts? Is there any logic to my chain of thoughts?

Would it be interesting to switch over to a XDJ setup with serato DJ, or is that somewhat of an overkill?

I'm considering CDJ-2000's (NOT Nexus) to be used in HId mode, but I've never been a big fan of buying used gear and I'm not sure how these would hold up in the long run.

What would you recommend?
Lou Dog 11:08 PM - 14 February, 2017
As far as I know MK2s are not supported by Serato inn HID. Only the 1000 MK1s are supported. But they still sell them new so you'll be alright.

I'm interested to hear what people think tho. I'm in the same boat. Been on 1200s forever but have been thinking about buying a set of MK1s. But using it with either an S9 or 62 it feels like I'll be spending 2k on platters because virtually all of the controls I need are on the mixer.
TheMasterOfCeremony 11:30 PM - 14 February, 2017
Quote:
But using it with either an S9 or 62 it feels like I'll be spending 2k on platters because virtually all of the controls I need are on the mixer.

Exactly my concerns, having these XDJ's work with serato seem to be a bit "overkill" if they don't have a HiD support, if I can't use the basic controls on the device, why pay that much.

That's why I would consider buying used CDJ200's (again, the old version, not the Nexus version), I could probably find a pair at the same price as a single XDJ unit. But is it worth the investment?

I would consider a simple "controller" that would simply control the song just like the Vinyl is doing now on my current system, but I can't find anything decent for a good price. Having the S9 I don't need all rhthe fancy options of the CDJ-2000NXS and I certainly can't afford 4K of gear just to replace a simple DVS.
TheMasterOfCeremony 11:33 PM - 14 February, 2017
Quote:
That's why I would consider buying used CDJ200's

Obviously I meant CDJ-2000's not 200's
popnwave 2:58 AM - 15 February, 2017
Get your hands on the new Denons... after seeing them in person I feel they give the 2000s a run for their money.
TheMasterOfCeremony 3:18 PM - 15 February, 2017
Quote:
Get your hands on the new Denons... after seeing them in person I feel they give the 2000s a run for their money.

Do you mean the SC5000 (prime) ?

i just saw a presentation video and they do look rather awesome.

Price tag is quite nice too, i can't understand why Pioneer and others have become so expensive, i would love to have 4.500 EURO to spend on a pair of CDJ-2000NXS2's but why spend that much money on gear?

Guys, for those who did make the investment, how do you justify that?

I feel like there isn't a real good intermediary piece of gear between cheaper Turntables (let's face it, i can find very decent turntables for around half the price of an XDJ-10000 unit), and the CDJ-2000NSX2's that everyone seems to love so much, especially if it is to be used with software like Serato DJ (which i'm not willing to give up on yet).
J Hennessy 6:48 PM - 15 February, 2017
I've had two XDJ1000 decks for just over a year and am on the verge of buying two CDJ2000 NSX2. The price of those CDJ 2000 decks is pretty tough to swallow.

Here in Canada Pioneer decks have gone up in price about 50% in the last year. I bought my XDJs for about $1000 CAD each, and now a year later they're $1700 CAD each. The CDJ2000 NXS 2 alone costs more than the DJM900 NXS2 (which has gone down in price since I bought it last August) which seems kind of crazy to me.

Without knowing what really goes into making one of these decks my guess is they are just capitalizing on the fact that they've become the industry standard for big name DJs. Pioneer doesn't have a lock on the mixer market yet though with the A&H Xone 92 being preferred by a lot of DJs and also being relatively affordable compared to Pioneer so you don't see the price of the DJM900 NXS running away like it does with the CDJs. You're really paying for new concepts and bells and whistles that you will probably not use too much.

The fact that they're the industry standard is the way to justify getting them. If you're only using this gear yourself and you're taking it with you to every gig then a controller should be fine. Carl Cox uses the Traktor S8 for a mixer so it's not like the sound quality isn't there with a controller. If you want to bring in other DJs to play on your gear, or you want to perform on other people's setups then having the CDJ2000 is the most transferable way to hone your craft and the best tools to give another DJ to work with.
Culprit 12:02 AM - 16 February, 2017
To be 100% honest with everyone on this board. That pricing for the NXS2 is accurate for rental, production companies, permanent installs in big clubs. The hardware is a super solid solution for sure, meaning its the ferarri of dj equipment, but for personal use its fucking nuts man. I mean, everyone has their hobbies and most guys in the field that i know that have these expensive units are production company dj's doing multiple events with a team of djs. That is who they really cater to in that industry.

The controller line is for the prosumer. I could not personally justify buying them financially, even though I can afford them. So i agree with you, real tough pill to swallow.
DJ Jonasty 3:27 AM - 16 February, 2017
Go with the nexus 2. They will hold resale better than anything else.
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:22 AM - 16 February, 2017
Why not get a full size controller like the SZ

1. You are a mobile dj

2. Best to embrace the present than to fight it.

3. You have no plans to use Rekordbox or USB, just Serato

4. You can always break out your S9 and decks at a function of your choice.

5. I would have recommended the Denon MCX8000 but from my own experience, I gig with it every weekend, i don't have 100% confidence with it yet. Still get the odd unprovoked weird behaviour.

I play on a Nexus set up too, every week, will I buy it...No.

I used to have a Pioneer CDJ 900 and the 700 mixer, sold everything. And I don't miss it.

My personal set up now is

Turntables and a Mixer (62/S9) for some mobile gigs if the pay & conditions are right and I know the clientèle will appreciate it.

Controller for most mobile gigs - Denon MCX8000 currently, used to have a DDJ SX for this.
Culprit 7:30 AM - 16 February, 2017
I second the SZ/SX recommendation as well
djrv 8:03 PM - 25 April, 2017
Any word when this will get hooked up finally I really really would love it if this will support it I don't see why it isn't?
Culprit 8:12 PM - 25 April, 2017
Quote:
Any word when this will get hooked up finally I really really would love it if this will support it I don't see why it isn't?

On what?
dj_soo 10:48 PM - 25 April, 2017
I'm assuming HID for serato
djrv 8:45 PM - 26 April, 2017
stil awaiting hid support.... for xdj mk2??? anyone know when this will occur?
Culprit 8:47 PM - 26 April, 2017
Quote:
stil awaiting hid support.... for xdj mk2??? anyone know when this will occur?

When Serato gets commissioned by Pioneer to do so. You need to hit up pioneer and request it
Javier drada 3:57 AM - 28 July, 2017
It's been over a year, are you seriously telling me this is not going to happen?
Culprit 7:45 AM - 28 July, 2017
Quote:
It's been over a year, are you seriously telling me this is not going to happen?

Nope
TheMasterOfCeremony 1:20 PM - 25 August, 2017
YAAAAAAAAAY

RANE TWELVE is announced, finally.

Exactly what i was looking for.

What are your thoughts? i'm hyped !
Electricoone 12:14 PM - 19 September, 2017
I was following the discussion. I would like to buy the Mk2 but Sincerely i find a madness buying a controller of 1300 euro that can't map Serato or Tracktor or whorever and only Recordbox Dj. News about ?
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:51 PM - 19 September, 2017
Quote:
I was following the discussion. I would like to buy the Mk2 but Sincerely i find a madness buying a controller of 1300 euro that can't map Serato or Tracktor or whorever and only Recordbox Dj. News about ?

then don'y buy it
Electricoone 1:09 PM - 19 September, 2017
Quote:
then don'y buy it

that for sure, :D but any news about ?
The Return of Dj Sparky 1:22 PM - 19 September, 2017
it's a pioneer product and was never guaranteed to have serato support, one day it might,

what else do you want me to tell you
Electricoone 1:26 PM - 19 September, 2017
nothing...you already said all. thanks
nint3ndope 1:35 PM - 5 October, 2017
+1

Serato DJ needs to add HID support for XDJ-1000MK2. I mean the XDJ-1000s have it, I can't imagine it would take too much development time to integrate XDJ-1000MK2. This would obviously take people away from switching to Rekordbox, which is Rekordbox's ultimate goal. User retention is key at this moment when there is more competition on the market.

The USB stick and control tone is really just a hack but it does work for the time being, but it's no replacement for HID support
Electricoone 2:07 PM - 5 October, 2017
Quote:
+1

Serato DJ needs to add HID support for XDJ-1000MK2. I mean the XDJ-1000s have it, I can't imagine it would take too much development time to integrate XDJ-1000MK2. This would obviously take people away from switching to Rekordbox, which is Rekordbox's ultimate goal. User retention is key at this moment when there is more competition on the market.

The USB stick and control tone is really just a hack but it does work for the time being, but it's no replacement for HID support

i agree with you, is all correct. I find spend 1300 $ or EU for very nice player/controller has not sense cause it's impossibile to don't use Serato, or traktor etc. At the end is a palyer controller that is taking the way of Usb Stick and recordbox Dj. i hope that the collaboration Serato - Pioneer will continue for this article, i think with Serato is possibile to create a nice Dj set instead of tracks in usb.
dj_soo 7:57 PM - 5 October, 2017
I think it's very apparent that currently this is pioneer's call, and pioneer is saying no to SDJ support on the XDJ mk2s.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just went and made an SDJ-1000 or something seeing how Pioneer seems intent on fully separating the Rekordbox and Serato brands now what with the separate Rekordbox controller lines and the latest DDJ 250 mk2 vs the DDJ S3.
nint3ndope 8:07 PM - 5 October, 2017
Quote:
I think it's very apparent that currently this is pioneer's call, and pioneer is saying no to SDJ support on the XDJ mk2s.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they just went and made an SDJ-1000 or something seeing how Pioneer seems intent on fully separating the Rekordbox and Serato brands now what with the separate Rekordbox controller lines and the latest DDJ 250 mk2 vs the DDJ S3.

I mean I contacted Pioneer DJ and they said it was up to Serato DJ to spend the money to engineer and integrate a solution for the xdjs. They want people to use Rekordbox not Serato DJ. I see this is issue being a trend for future products by Pioneer.

From what I gather, with enough people requesting and demand by Serato DJs, they will have to integrate HID.

They found a way to integrate with the DJM-900nxs (non serato Dj of djm900srt) years after release with enough demand and they were even able to sell people the Club Kit to make it happen.
Electricoone 3:37 PM - 4 November, 2017
i would like to know that problem is not the "machine" xdj but only the software. if someone can decide to buy that may be can hope that a day will be a firware and sdj update with xdj mapped.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:40 AM - 5 November, 2017
The only thing you can do is keep requesting it both on the Pioneer forum and Serato forum. I wouldn't old my breathe on it though.

The 2000 Nexus et al had to be supported because it's a "club standard". Pioneer & Serato had to do that because it made business sense for both parties.

Right now I think they are focusing on getting new djs and flexible djs to use Rekordbox. You can see with the free bundled licenses it's insane.

As you know Pioneer have launched a "certification programme" meaning they want to dictate the terms of support and probably asking for a cut of the "club kit fees" or waiving this for other favours. Since they launched that programme one would have thought it will streamline software support but I don't think it's changed anything.

Serato has no obligation to support any gear especially as they won't be getting as much as bigger cut of the money compared to if the gear was supported from launch.