Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Issues between 2016 15" MacBook Pro w/ Touchbar and Xone:DB4

Phister 5:36 PM - 18 November, 2016
I wanted to start a thread so others can learn fro my experience. I also didn't want to keep hijacking a previous thread I started to post in. I will update this as things progress.

The new MacBook Pros are out. I needed something new to replace my late 2008 MBP dinosaur. The new machines feature an OLED screen where the functions keys used to be. They also only have 4 Thunderbolt 3/USB-C ports. They come with the latest version of MacOs Sierra 10.12. I'm having an issue getting tracks to even start playing.

I'm running Serato DJ 1.9.4. My mixer is an Allen & Heath Xone:DB4. As of 1.9.3 SDJ is compatible with MacOs Sierra. But this page says my mixer is not supported on Sierra.
support.serato.com

But if you follow the links to the A&H drivers page you will find the 3.3.11driver adds support for Sierra as of October 2016.

I can play audio just fine through the mixer from the OS (like from iTunes) and the MIDI utility confirms that MIDI data is getting through.

With the mixer disconnected Serato will play tracks in the offline mode. As soon as it detects the mixer being plugged in the track will stop and cannot be started again. When the mixer is plugged in SDJ does say "Connected to Allen & Heath Xone:DB4" I can use my hardware decks to scroll through the library and assign a track to the deck. The play/pause buttons start flashing. That's as far as I can get.

I opened a ticket with support and they came back with the "your mixer isn't not supported by Sierra. Downgrade your OS or call Apple" response I expected. I'm pretty sure that's never going to work. For the sake of science I was going to upgrade my 2008 MBP to Sierra to rule out the OS being an issue but El Capitan 10.11 is the newest version support on that hardware.

Is there any diagnostic info I can get that can expose the cause of the issue?
wadup 7:45 PM - 18 November, 2016
I'm assuming you upgrade to the latest firmware and driver... the next step I would attempt is a hard reset.
Phister 8:07 PM - 18 November, 2016
Quote:
I'm assuming you upgrade to the latest firmware and driver... the next step I would attempt is a hard reset.

Yep. the laptop has the 3.3.11 DB4 driver. The mixer already had both audio firmware 1.4.1 and operating firmware 2.2.2.

SDJ doesn't like something. When I first set everything up SDJ displayed a message that it was connecting to the mixer and it could take a bit. It did that for what seemed like forever then it went away.

What exactly is a hard reset. I'm going to re-install SDJ when I get home.
wadup 1:21 AM - 19 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

What exactly is a hard reset. I'm going to re-install SDJ when I get home.

support.allen-heath.com
Phister 4:44 PM - 19 November, 2016
Hard reset didn't help. Neither did re-installing Serato DJ.
Phister 2:15 AM - 22 November, 2016
****RESOLVED****
I can say that I'm the biggest idiot ever. Big props to support for not giving up. Shaun did a remote session and noticed I didn't have Internal mode active on the decks. Click and done.

2016 15" MBP w/ TouchBar works with A&H Xone:DB4. No issues with USB-C. Just user error.