Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Ideal solution for travelling?

kAKsys 6:45 AM - 13 November, 2016
I've been DJing with my DDJ-SX and Serato DJ but lately I've had a chance to go play to bigger clubs than before, and in the future want to be ready to have some more mobile solution for traveling by train. Most people in my environment use just CDJs but I like the possibilities of Serato and do not want to give it up. I need some solution to be able to play from Serato DJ without my SX, which would be more mobile, wouldn't take much space in the DJ booth and would not bother the DJs playing before me too much by connecting (ie, I would like to use the CDJs to control Serato but do not want to disconnect them from the mixer), I was thinking about Akai AMX, would that work like that? And what would you reccomend?
deejdave 5:41 PM - 13 November, 2016
You can use an interface (SL2-SL4 or DS1) which works with literally any analog mixer with RCA inputs or you can purchase a Club Kit store.serato.com if you are sure the supported mixers will be on the rider which include:

Pioneer DJM-900NXS
Pioneer DJM-850
Allen & Heath Xone:DB2
Allen & Heath Xone:DB4
Allen & Heath Xone:43c
Rane MP2015

That being said the Akai AMX would absolutely work the same way but the advantage of using the two methods I mentioned is you can use existing mixer in club with minimal work or moving things around.
kAKsys 2:19 PM - 15 December, 2016
I would use the club kit if it supported the non-nexus version of DJM-900 and DJM-2000 as thats what a lot of clubs have here. If i used the interface, I would need to disconnect the RCAs of the CDJs and connect them to the soundcard and then the souncard to the mixer, right? Do you have any tips how to handle that if the DJ before you is using the CDJs and you want to start right after them?
DJ Marv the Maverick 11:48 PM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:
I would use the club kit if it supported the non-nexus version of DJM-900 and DJM-2000 as thats what a lot of clubs have here. If i used the interface, I would need to disconnect the RCAs of the CDJs and connect them to the soundcard and then the souncard to the mixer, right? Do you have any tips how to handle that if the DJ before you is using the CDJs and you want to start right after them?

HID with the CDJs

And you can just use your SL box to the free channels or one channel at a time.

or Club kit.

I've done this a good few times even when with time code

DJ playing last song then you disconnect the opposite CDJ and plug that into your Rane Box with is plugged into one channel of the analogue mixer.

Then you transition, disconnect second cdj and plug that into your SL box.

The system is yours.

And you can repeat same if you need to change djs
deejdave 1:02 AM - 16 December, 2016
Quote:

There is no such thing as a non nexus DJM-900 so there's that and as far as the DJM-2000 or DJM-2000Nexus it was proven to be impossible due to not having the correct internal routing for DVS.
kAKsys 8:47 PM - 31 January, 2017
Thanks for your answers! Since Serato has renamed the Club Kit and it can now be subscribed monthly, I decided to go with that and purchase the subscription when I need it. I was also thinking about some easy solution for mixers not supporting the Club Kit and I thought about one option but I don't know if it's possible.

I once tried to use my SX as a mixer with CDJs 900 connected in HID mode. I was thinking about using the Akai AMX the same way. Is AMX possible to connect just to one channel of the mixer as an output with mixing being done on the AMX and CDJs being connected each to the Laptop via HID?
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:13 PM - 31 January, 2017
That sounds like it's possible

AMX as the sound card and CDJs in HID Yeah?

The AMX comes with a full Serato/DVS license if I'm not wrong.

Sounds like a good idea and you won't need to be messing with the RCAs of the club CDJs yeah.

There is an AMX thread in the forum best to ask owners.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:13 PM - 31 January, 2017
Or email Serato support/sales

They should be awake in NZ now
deejdave 9:21 PM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
Since Serato has renamed the Club Kit

You mean this club kit?store.serato.com

You do NOT need the DVS portion of the club kit to use CDJ's in HID though.

Furthermore an SL box would be much easier to use than what was suggested above. If you want to use JUST the AMX with two CDJ's via HID that is fine and makes sense though and NO DVS pack is necessary.
Quote:
The AMX comes with a full Serato/DVS license if I'm not wrong

You are wrong. It comes with Serato DJ but not DVS.
kAKsys 11:02 PM - 31 January, 2017
Quote:
store.serato.com

I couldn't find it on the page and they had it just as Serato DJ + DVS expansion there so I thought they renamed it. Nevermind, it's the same thing. I know I don't need the DVS for AMX but I'd like to use the DVS if a mixer is compactible and have AMX more like a backup option if the club has a DJM 2000 or some older mixer.
deejdave 12:03 AM - 1 February, 2017
I was under the impression you would be using CDJ's. Any reason you need the DVS option? I am assuming you want to be able to use TT's?
kAKsys 12:11 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
I was under the impression you would be using CDJ's. Any reason you need the DVS option? I am assuming you want to be able to use TT's?

Well, if I understand correctly, the DVS licence is needed for me to use for example DJM 900NXS with no additional hardware, is that right?
deejdave 12:14 AM - 1 February, 2017
No this is not right. Only Serato DJ expansion is needed. The DVS license is needed in order to use timecode (vinyl, or disc) with Serato DJ. The DJM-900NXS is Serato DJ upgrade ready meaning all that is needed to open software is the license itself.
kAKsys 12:19 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
No this is not right. Only Serato DJ expansion is needed. The DVS license is needed in order to use timecode (vinyl, or disc) with Serato DJ. The DJM-900NXS is Serato DJ upgrade ready meaning all that is needed to open software is the license itself.

Okay, so I just need the Serato licence and I'm free to use the compactible mixer and the CDJs in HID mode? The monthly subscription comes with the DVS pack anyway so maybe that's why the site told me I need it.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:30 AM - 1 February, 2017
the dvs expansion is needed along with the serato dj license to unlock the mixers that do not natively unlock serato dj

store.serato.com
deejdave 12:32 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
the dvs expansion is needed along with the serato dj license to unlock the mixers that do not natively unlock serato dj

store.serato.com

Please read from the exact link you posted ................. RIF

"If you only own a Serato DJ license, you will still be able to connect to Club Kit hardware and use CDJs in HID mode, or MIDI map features for use with Internal mode."
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:33 AM - 1 February, 2017
i stand corrected you only need the full version of serato dj
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 1:14 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:

For the AMX - wouldn't you need to buy the DVS Expansion pack?

HID is like Control vinyl or CDs so DVS or No?
DJ MAZE ONER 1:30 AM - 1 February, 2017
HELLO I AM BACK AND I AM WAITING FOR THE SERATO TEAM TO RESPOND TO MY EMAILS DO I HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER YEAR FOR HEL P???
DJ MAZE ONER 1:32 AM - 1 February, 2017
HI SPANKY
DJ MAZE ONER 1:33 AM - 1 February, 2017
YOU KNOW WHY THEY CALL HIM SPANKY RIGHT???? KEEP THOSE MAGS AWAY
deejdave 1:47 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

HID is nothing like control vinyl or CD's. It controls the software while in INT mode while DVS requires ABS or REL. HID is very similar to MIDI (as in DDJ-SX, SZ etc.) but just uses a different more advanced and precise input method for the platters. Control vinyls use a time code algorithm pressed or recorded (noisemap in the case of Serato) onto given media (vinyl, cd etc.) which is decoded by the SW.

In short no for the AMX you do NOT need the DVS expansion unless you actually plan to use DVS....................... This is why it is called the DVS expansion.................. it only applies to DVS.
DJ MAZE ONER 1:59 AM - 1 February, 2017
SO HERE WE GO AGAIN WITH THIS SHITTY SERATO PROGRAM A O HELP FROMTHIS JOKE OF SERATO TEAM
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:21 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
HID is nothing like control vinyl or CD's. It controls the software while in INT mode while DVS requires ABS or REL.

Ahhhh - got it. Similar to the way the AFX unlocks things in tandem with the AMX when connected or like you said - MIDI
deejdave 3:41 AM - 1 February, 2017
Exactly. Different method (cdj vs AFX) yielding same result minus the platters.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:54 AM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah I am very wrong. he will need the DVS expansion pack if he intends to use TT with the AMX.

I just went over to the product page.

The fragmentation of Serato DJ can leave one in a state of oblivion.

Thanks for the heads up!

What of buying the whole stand alone suite and call it a day. So you will be ready for whatever kind of scenario. No?
deejdave 2:16 PM - 1 February, 2017
I fully agree but not necessary if money is tight. As mentioned even the monthly becomes a good deal if it is only needed once or twice although it is not how I do things.
DJ MAZE ONER 3:47 PM - 1 February, 2017
SO I WANT TO TO SAY WOOW TO THIS SERATO GARBAGE NOW MY RANE 68 OR SL4 IS NOT BEING RECOGNIZED OR LOADING ITS SAYS LOADING THIS THE BIGGEST PEACE OF SHIT SOFT WARE AND HARD WARE EVER
popnwave 3:58 PM - 1 February, 2017
A standalone copy of the license is a nice thing to have in your pocket if you're playing around with a ton of different equipment. Kicks in when you're using COMPATIBLE but not necessarily ENABLED gear.
DJ MAZE ONER 4:23 PM - 1 February, 2017
SO I SPENT FOUR HOUR OUT MY DAY TO FIND OUT THAT THE RETARDED PEOPLE FROM THE SERATO TEAM ARE SO STUCK ON STUPID THEY HAD DISABLE THINGS THAT CAUSED MY SYSTEM TO STOP WORKING WITH MY RANE HARDWARE BETWEEN HP & RANE ON THREE WAY WE HAD TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THESE MORANS HAD ME DO WHICH DISABLED ALOT OF THIGS ACCORDING TO THEIR EMAILS WHICH ENABLED MY RANE HARDWARE WOW ANOTHER LESSON FOR MY DJ CLASS WHY NOT TO BUY SERATO BASED PRODUCTS AND HOW MUCH OF A HEADACHE IT IS .. I AM GOING ON DAY THREE WITH THE SERATO BULLSHIT..... I AM DEFINATELY GOING BAK TO BUYING RECORDS AND BURNING CDS AND DJING OFF MY CDJS AND VYNLS FUCK SERATO !!!!
DJ Marv the Maverick 7:42 PM - 1 February, 2017
@MazeOner

What exact issues are you having? I might have missed where you stated it. I'm just a dj here and I don't work for Serato but happy enough to offer suggestions.

Perhaps Serato need to schedule a remote session with you to try and figure out why you are having challenges. A remote session is when Serato arrange a time with you when you will be online and they can access your laptop and see your settings and they can tweak things online.
Have you asked them if that's a possibility?

Folks on this forum myself included have had issues with Serato DJ software but almost always found a way to fix it or workaround either via official Serato support or the excellent fellow djs in this forum.

Sometimes it's the smallest thing you have overlooked eg USB cables or wrong connections and sometimes it's bigger things like the Operating System not being supported.

I'm almost sure and can bet a nut on it that whatever issue you are having there is a fix or workaround.

Just out of curiosity, did you use this Rane 68 with Serato Scratch Live? Perhaps you can look into using that software instead.

You wrote that you are going vinyl and cds route so I'm guessing you are quite happy with that style of djing without the bells, whistles and headaches of Serato DJ. Scratch live was and still is the ultimate plug and play solution. It's not as resource hungry as Serato DJ ie it will work with little or no hassles assuming you know how to connect everything.

Serato Scratch Live (SSL) and Serato DJ (SDJ) are two different softwares by the way. They share the same library so if you decide to go back to Serato DJ your library and crates will be the same.

SSL still works great especially with older hardware like the 68. I had an HP computer years ago, it was running XP and had an unsupported AMD processor but it still worked great with SSL. I will be surprised if your HP OMEN is not more than capable to run Serato.

Hope you get the solution you need to be able practice your craft.
kAKsys 10:42 PM - 1 February, 2017
Quote:
@MazeOner

What exact issues are you having? I might have missed where you stated it. I'm just a dj here and I don't work for Serato but happy enough to offer suggestions.

Perhaps Serato need to schedule a remote session with you to try and figure out why you are having challenges. A remote session is when Serato arrange a time with you when you will be online and they can access your laptop and see your settings and they can tweak things online.
Have you asked them if that's a possibility?

Folks on this forum myself included have had issues with Serato DJ software but almost always found a way to fix it or workaround either via official Serato support or the excellent fellow djs in this forum.

Sometimes it's the smallest thing you have overlooked eg USB cables or wrong connections and sometimes it's bigger things like the Operating System not being supported.

I'm almost sure and can bet a nut on it that whatever issue you are having there is a fix or workaround.

Just out of curiosity, did you use this Rane 68 with Serato Scratch Live? Perhaps you can look into using that software instead.

You wrote that you are going vinyl and cds route so I'm guessing you are quite happy with that style of djing without the bells, whistles and headaches of Serato DJ. Scratch live was and still is the ultimate plug and play solution. It's not as resource hungry as Serato DJ ie it will work with little or no hassles assuming you know how to connect everything.

Serato Scratch Live (SSL) and Serato DJ (SDJ) are two different softwares by the way. They share the same library so if you decide to go back to Serato DJ your library and crates will be the same.

SSL still works great especially with older hardware like the 68. I had an HP computer years ago, it was running XP and had an unsupported AMD processor but it still worked great with SSL. I will be surprised if your HP OMEN is not more than capable to run Serato.

Hope you get the solution you need to be able practice your craft.

I can confirm that also for SDJ. Before I switched to Macbook, I was using it for years on an HP laptom with AMD processor and it worked just fine.
deejdave 12:32 AM - 2 February, 2017
Quote:
A standalone copy of the license is a nice thing to have in your pocket if you're playing around with a ton of different equipment. Kicks in when you're using COMPATIBLE but not necessarily ENABLED gear.

Also paves the way for total freedom in future purchases as well as taking advantage of the finer features.
DJ MAZE ONER 11:33 AM - 2 February, 2017
Going on day four with this garbage program lets see how far I get on the road to nothingness with this crap as I do this I take notes and screen shots for my dj classes how useless this program can be. My opinion this program is only good as a quick reference for songs on the fly not as a main resource for djing at an event its to unreliable and already.caused me way to many embarrassment.
DJ MAZE ONER 11:45 AM - 2 February, 2017
Also Honestly guys apple or mac should be the full functinality without glitches as some claim that's the proffesinal computer apple cause programs run by specs not brands. And if the apple was so great how come the world runs most their applications with PC or microsoft products? And the claim to fame thst apple don't have viruses is because no one really uses apple they are to expensive and the company is too conservative. So if the world was driven by apple product I am sure soke will create a software aka virus on their operating system and if you do your research some did create a vjrus once for apple operating system in the past. Lastly I have a apple computer and I also run into glitches with it as well while using this soft ware. Finally some one said my rane 68 -is old I just bought my rane 68 from IDJ now brand new in the box and it came with serato dj 1.7.6i I know nothing about scratch live other that it ruinned a lot of djs during events when it crashed the only reason I bought this gear with this stupid program is because I was running into problems with clubs only wanting to bring my laptop and used their serato based gear. So I had to male a business decision I didn't want to make so I can continue to feed my family but this serato crap is a time vampire
The Return of Dj Sparky 2:22 PM - 2 February, 2017
this pic should help everyone understand what your issue is

ibb.co
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:33 PM - 2 February, 2017
Rane 68 is already discontinued. Check the official Rane link for yourself

dj.rane.com

But being discontinued or old doesn't mean it won't work. It just means that updates to operating systems or Serato DJ might cause it to malfunction.

Why don't you download a copy of Scratch Live here and try it out serato.com
DJ MAZE ONER 4:37 PM - 2 February, 2017
Well I have had my discussion and issues with Rane about this because I bought the mixer a year ago cause they where hyping it up hoe great it was I biught cause I like some the features and they discontinued it and then the serato pleague began as well. So I have issues with both rane and serato and I made it clear to rane when I purchased the sl4 and 68 its the first and last time I am buying any of their products and I feel the same about serato cause its been a damaging year eith serato dj never in my life have I had so much difficult y
popnwave 4:59 PM - 2 February, 2017
If your biz practices are as bad as your posting skills, I am not surprised.
DJ MAZE ONER 6:14 PM - 2 February, 2017
I dj 2 or 3 times a 6 to 7 days a week people don't know what serwto is or care what it is when the hire so I can rock their party not feel simpathy cause I don't habe the latest firm ware or version serato that's why I didn't do my best this time... so do the world a favor keep bedroom djing and keep your retarded comments to yourself. When you can make it to my level or want to battle a real dj then speak
8823430 7:07 PM - 2 February, 2017
I dj and it is a very successfully business .
I have made a profit for the past 10 years with each year being that much better and all of my equipment is only 3 years old which i have brought it with hard cash , nothing on credit.
I also pay my tax on the djing business.
And i use serato dj with no issues with a i3 8gb ram hp laptop on windows 10.
DJ MAZE ONER 8:30 PM - 2 February, 2017
Yeah that's great that it works out fkr you wish you the best in yiu endeavors but its been giving all kinds a problems and a dj that use it for years was shoeing hiw great this thung is and it also all of the sudden started giving him issues
DJ MAZE ONER 1:27 AM - 6 February, 2017
WHAT UP MY NEGROS I AM BACK AND STILL HAVE BROEN SERATO PROGRAM BUT I MAD LOTS OF MONEY SPINNIN CDS THIS WEEKEND
DJ MAZE ONER 1:28 AM - 6 February, 2017
WHAT UP MY NEGROS I AM BACK AND STILL HAVE A BROKEN SERATO PROGRAM BUT I MADE LOTS OF MONEY SPINNIN CDS THIS WEEKEND
The Return of Dj Sparky 6:29 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
this pic should help everyone understand what your issue is

ibb.co
DJ MAZE ONER 6:36 PM - 6 February, 2017
SPARKY WELL WE ALL KNOW WHY YOU PUT THAT PICTURE UP YOU SEE MY EVENTS ARE SPONSORED BY VIRGINAVILLE CLOTHING BUT YOU GO AGAINST THE GRAIN BY ROCKING AND SUPPORTING PENISWARE.
The Return of Dj Sparky 7:24 PM - 6 February, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
this pic should help everyone understand what your issue is maze

ibb.co
DJ MAZE ONER 7:37 PM - 6 February, 2017
WELL FIX MY SHIT WTH ALL MY COMUTERS AND WE WOT HAVE THIS PROBLEM NO MORE
DJ MAZE ONER 7:42 PM - 6 February, 2017
AND LIKE YOU TOLD ME KANE D I AM ONLY ASKING FOR THE LAST TIME
DJ MAZE ONER 7:51 PM - 6 February, 2017
ALL I KNOW YOU DONT DO WHAT I PAID FOR I AM TAKING A GIANT CRAP ON SERATO YOUVE BEEN WARNED
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:02 PM - 6 February, 2017
I think we can say with out a shadow of a doubt that this is your main issue oner

tinyurl.com
DJ MAZE ONER 8:11 PM - 6 February, 2017
ARE YOUR GONNA DO REMOTE ACCESS CAUSE I DONT HAVE TIME FOR THIS LOOKING UP SHIT NO MORE I DO I HAVE TO KEEP PUSHING?
938MyDJ 8:18 PM - 6 February, 2017
Let's skip and disregard this ashsole's posts and move on with the topic.

My favorite travel kit is my VCI-400 in a Traktor Dolley bag wher I also put my other gear such as Macbook, HD, Headphones, Ipad, cables, etc... It is about the size of a regular carry-on so it's flight friendly too.

If I was informed what the venue have before hand, I can use my SDJ license, with SP1, Neon, if the mixer is supported... if not, I can just bring an SL4 (I still have 2 of them).

I might have judged the AMX by it's looks... I've owned a lot of NI modulars and for some reason the I've seen these as more professionally built than the AMX.
8823430 8:37 PM - 6 February, 2017
Dj maze oner

You are not helping yourself.
You are a complete idiot .
You can't spell .
you keep on and on about how hard done you are.
you are so so boring just like a 10 year old.
so do us all a favor .shut up and email serato
better still just sell your kit
kAKsys 1:47 AM - 25 February, 2017
Thank you for all your answers! I bought a subscription of Serato DJ and I'm gonna use it with CDJs 2000nexus and DJM900NXS for the first time tomorrow. I have just one question from my testing with my SSX as a Mixer and two CDJ900s we have at work. Do I have to turn the mixer off and then on again after its conencted and Serato launched? Because that's the only Way my SX gets recognized by the software. Also, I'm gonna set it up in the begining of the night and then play later early morning. If i set one CDJ as deck 1 in serato and the other as deck 2 and then the djs during the night will use the usb sticks and I leave my laptop connected to the CDJs and the mixer, will my setting stay the same and I just switch to the Link (CDJs) and Usb (Mixer) or will I have to set it up all over again?
DJ Marv the Maverick 8:24 AM - 25 February, 2017
this is what i do to ensure that the mixer or any hardware is recognised in Serato DJ

1. Turn on the mixer or if already being used by other djs that's fine.

2. The mixer doesn't have to be in USB mode

3. I boot my laptop right there before I play. it's a MacBook pro it takes about 15 secs to boot up from cold.

4. Then I connect the USB leads to the macbook pro.

5. Then I start Serato DJ. 10 out of 10 times the mixer is recognised.
In my experience plugging in the mixer after starting Serato DJ is a lottery.

Yes your settings will remain the same, if the other djs are using USB. or you can select your decks before you jump on. It's just a simple push of encoder knob.

Link
8823430 11:46 AM - 27 February, 2017
I always do a set sequence as like dj marv
And it never fails.
I always shut down my pc at the end of a gig and never leave it hibernate.
kAKsys 1:01 PM - 27 February, 2017
Thank you once again, it worked pretty well except soem shenanigans because the djs before me used the Link mode for his usb stick but I oculd start the music without the CDJs and conenct it during the intro so no big deal. Also, next time I connect my Macbook before my set, I will turn it off until my time comes on because I left it on until 2am when my set started and it froze for the first time since I bought it and I had to reboot it anyway. In ocnclusion, I was very satisfied with my first use of Serato with DJM900nxs and HID Mode. Ir even worked on CDJ2000NXS2 which I was not sure about