DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

3 way powered speakers / suggestions?

dj scottie b 11:11 PM - 7 November, 2016
hey, time for an upgrade...choice most likely between:
jbl srx835p
ev etx35p
qsc kw153
(before u give me your observations, I'm kind of leaning away from the qsc because of the age and the specs. i know - trust the ears..jus saying' )
the jbls have (supposedly ) outstanding specs. i know that the ex's are built well. i have the old prx725's , and they have those rattling issues. are the new lines any different? guys please chime in..thanks a million in advance!
Arjun B 11:14 PM - 7 November, 2016
I own the SRX835p and I love every bit of them
577er 5:32 AM - 8 November, 2016
The biggest difference is the dispersion pattern, JBL & EV are 60x40 & QSC is 70 conical.

JBL is the loudest and the QSC has the most bass with the EV in the middle on both. The QSC has no on board computer which I'd say is one less thing to go wrong. Also I prefer to control the sound from a mixer rather than on each speaker. That's just me.
pdidy 5:58 AM - 8 November, 2016
Well that will depend on your personal priorities, do you have any ? Each of the speakers have a benefit over the others but only you know what's more important too you.
dj scottie b 2:43 PM - 8 November, 2016
honestly , i can appreciate any sound as long as its good , because no room or setup is ever the same...im really worried about RELIABILITY. I've been a JBL man forever , but lately ...like those 725's i got, and the same happening w 735, the inside aint built right and they start rattling. i keep having to take them to the shop. I'm always looking and listening to much, and not just playing.
577er 5:30 PM - 8 November, 2016
I'd go with QSC if reliability is the most important thing, that fan is also a piece of mind if you ever end up playing in direct sun.
Taipanic 6:25 PM - 8 November, 2016
Though unpowered, I have a pair of JTR Noesis 3TX and they sound phenomenal.
pdidy 7:02 PM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
I'd go with QSC if reliability is the most important thing, that fan is also a piece of mind if you ever end up playing in direct sun.

+1
No doubt about it, QSC wins the reliability contest.
Joee 7:06 PM - 8 November, 2016
i would not rule out the SRX835P

www.jblpro.com
pdidy 7:09 PM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
i would not rule out the SRX835P

www.jblpro.com

based on reliability only qsc always wins BUT my personal choice would have been SRX835P.
Joee 7:18 PM - 8 November, 2016
have you had a chance to hear the yamaha dxr series yet?
Taipanic 8:09 PM - 8 November, 2016
For me, it would be between the EV & JBL, I just don't care for the QSC sound when they are pushed. I'd say the current public shift is towards the JBL but I'd want to A/B the EV & JBL, as I usually prefer the EV sound compared to the flatter JBL sound.
dj_soo 12:22 AM - 9 November, 2016
QSC also wins reliability cause that speaker has been out the longest and has basically been time tested the most out of all those brands.

Can't say I'm a fan of the sound tho...
pdidy 12:43 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
For me, it would be between the EV & JBL, I just don't care for the QSC sound when they are pushed. I'd say the current public shift is towards the JBL but I'd want to A/B the EV & JBL, as I usually prefer the EV sound compared to the flatter JBL sound.

when it comes to sound quality i agree "it would be between the EV & JBL", the qsc can't really compete there.
dj scottie b 12:43 AM - 10 November, 2016
anybody familiar w D.A.S. Audio?

heres their offering in this lane

www.dasaudio.com
pdidy 1:05 AM - 10 November, 2016
Quote:
anybody familiar w D.A.S. Audio?

heres their offering in this lane

www.dasaudio.com

D.A.S. Audio is not a popular brand in the DJ market nor is that particular speaker, therefore I doubt you will find much useful info or recommendations here.
dj scottie b 1:41 AM - 10 November, 2016
HEY pdidy...is that yo' biz in the avatar?
what is all that?
looks like killer!
pdidy 1:54 AM - 10 November, 2016
Quote:
what is all that?
looks like killer!

Yes its 4 X JBL VRX932lap tops & 4 X JBL VRX918sp subs
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com
benictrs 6:19 AM - 11 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
what is all that?
looks like killer!

Yes its 4 X JBL VRX932lap tops & 4 X JBL VRX918sp subs
i26.photobucket.com
i26.photobucket.com

beautiful setup if you ask me
Dj JazzyPete 7:02 PM - 13 December, 2017
yeah looking at an upgade 2 do a lot of indoor and outdoor weddings .Using pair of 15in Gemini powered speakers atm but need a sub woofer looking at this ..also use cordless mics for the weddings so might need a small mixer if I go this way. PEAVEY TRIFLEX II
1000W Three-Piece, Two-Channel Sound System . Or should I just invest in a powered subwoofer to go with my gemini speakers
thanks for your help
577er 3:24 PM - 14 December, 2017
I'd avoid the triflex route, it makes you totally dependant on that sub. No flexibility or backup in that kind of system.
Taipanic 3:34 PM - 14 December, 2017
I'd recommend renting a sub for gigs until you've saved up enough money to upgrade your whole P.A.
My current mid priced P.A. recommendation:
2 Yamaha DSR112s
1-2 EV EKX or Yorkville ES18 or LS801p
Probably $3-4k all in but will be quality mid & highs, lots of bass and fairly bulletproof. Good for 500 people with 2 subs.
Brian M 6:33 PM - 14 December, 2017
DB Tech makes a decent 3-way.
www.dbtechnologies.com
O.B.1 10:53 PM - 20 December, 2017
I just ordered a pair of JBL SRX835P.
Based on the reviews I've read they look rather promising.
(They are going on top of a pair of JBL SRX828SP that I acquired last week.)