DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

My Review of 8 Different Chauvet Lights - Long Term Usage, (up to 6 years)

The Silver Boombox Thief 7:27 PM - 1 November, 2016
I’ve purchased a few Chauvet lights over past couple of years. I would like to share my experience.

I’m a DJ, maybe 35-40 gigs this year. 1/2 are weddings, the other half are parties. My lights are used less than 1/2 the time as sometimes I plug into another system or a company is hired for lighting. I’m probably your typical part time mobile dj. I have cases or bags for everything I own and would consider myself to be very considerate of keeping my gear in good shape. I’m in the Foothills / Tahoe market. Lighting is not a priority for most mobile DJ’s around here. Your average wedding DJ might bring 1-2 lights for the dance floor. My set up might not be great on a national level, but around here it’s one of the better displays.

To start, I’m was a fan of Chauvet. I like the videos they put out, (Geoff Short) and they have a solid collection of lights to choose from. Not knowing any industry stats, I’d guess they are #1 in the mobile lighting market.

My reviews, In order of my purchase

Scorpion Laser: Group purchase 6+ years ago for Burning Man. This thing is a beast that has survived some really harsh conditions. Been mounted on an art car for a few years and is still going strong.

Chauvet 4 Play: 1 year in, zipper on the super thin bag breaks. 3 years in, the casing around every light fixtures shows signs of melting. I contacted customer service. They said I can pay $45 + shipping to send it in, then they will review the problem and get me a quote to fix it. Shipping, + $45 + the repair cost i assume would be over the price of the light. I know i’m out of warranty, but this appears to be a major fire hazard. Their reaction: Don’t use it anymore

Chauvet 4 Bar: Day one: foot switch has to be hit very hard to switch functions. 2 years in: bolts on tripod legs and height adjustment are stripped and failing. 3 years in: I purchase a new 6 channel dmx controller because the foot switch no longer works, with the plan of controlling this light in the optional 3 channel mode, as noted on all marketing material. Come to find out, there was an earlier version that shipped without the 3 channel option.
Chauvet is willing to sell me the new chip for $50 that allows for 3 channel DMX. Chauvet doesn’t say anywhere that there are some lights that don’t have the 3 channel feature. I find a few questions on their Facebook page and youtube by owners that are looking to figure out how to change their 4bar to 3 channel mode. Every question is left unanswered. On the positive side, the bag is pretty nice. Without the footswitch, options are limited and the "sound" setting flashes at a speed sure to cause a seizure.

Chauvet Hurricane 1800 Fog Machine: leaked just enough to annoy me from the very beginning. Still leaks, can’t find the problem but is still working.

Chauvet Bubble King: The trough that holds the bubble juice looks like the bottom of a milk carton that someone cut to size with a pair to scissors. Insanely cheap. Bolts on the side that allow you open up the machine to access liquid are finished with plastic. After 2 years, they are corroded and impossible to hand tighten or loosen. The use of pliers breaks the plastic apart and now I use a wrench to open and close.

Chauvet Obey 6 DMX controller: This thing arrived with what sounds like a bunch of loose screws inside of the unit. Construction quality is probably lower than a children’s toy and the overall feel is terrible. Loud clicks when you push a button and everything in general just feels bad.

Chauvet Slimpar 64: Purchased 4 units. 2 of the four units tilt screws are stripped after 2 years of use. What functions as the nut is just threaded plastic in the hole for the bolt. Jeez, this is as cheap as you can get.

Chauvet Bag for Slimpar 64 x4: Working as it should.

Chauvet Beamer 8: 3 months in, working as it should.

Overall, almost every piece of equipment I’ve purchased has had issues within a year of ownership. Some have issues from day one. I’m not expecting gear to last forever, but I do expect a company to use nuts and bolts that last more that 100 tighten and loosen cycles. By comparison, my EV speakers, Yorkville sub, Rane 56 and 62 mixers, Shure mics, gator speaker stands and most everything else I use when dj’ing has been trouble free for many years.

I think it's time that I kick Chauvet to the curb and find a new brand to invest in.
Taipanic 8:48 PM - 2 November, 2016
Everything I have purchased from them has been subpar with a very short lifespan.
Serhij 4:49 AM - 2 November, 2018
Hey Silver Boombox Thief,

As an experienced DJ could you tell me if it's may give a better impact to take a laser from laser level - for example, DeWALT DW088LG from wisepick.org, and DIY with those lasers my own lights? As I heard in laser levels used a very stable and bright ones
Serhij 4:53 AM - 2 November, 2018
Yes I know it may be sound like a crazy, but still so I wish to gather some opinions over the web :)
DJ Reflex 1:38 AM - 3 November, 2018
Serhij -
If you're gonna do lasers - do them right. Here are a few tips...
1) Everyone can spot a cheap laser show. It's 2018, not 1996. A red laser pointer splashed on the wall will not do. Go with professional gear.
2) There are a lot of regulations with lasers. I got into lasers over 12 years ago and learned some pretty hard lessons. Check into variances and codes for lasers. www.lasershowsafety.info is a good place to start.
3) Control - control - control!!! A laser in "sound mode" is the worst effect possible. Get a laser that you can control either with DMX or ILDA signal.
4) Know when/where to use lasers. They are great for aerial effects (with fog) or animations on the wall. I use them for both. A bride/groom's name on the wall in lasers is a great effect, but... see #1.
5) Keep in mind that lasers do not give off much ambient light. Be sure to supplement them with wash lights or other effects. A single laser will loose its novelty in 5 minutes if not combined with other effects.

Here are the lasers and control software I use: pangolin.com

KVant lasers - Clubmax series. Pangolin Quickshow (FB3 and FB4 control hardware)
Taipanic 4:04 PM - 5 November, 2018
Quote:
Everything I have purchased from them has been subpar with a very short lifespan.

Jump ahead a couple of years. I have acquired several other Chauvet products and the quality & functionality has been good. I also took a tour of their facilities in Ft. Lauderdale and was impressed by the current testing and quality control I saw. My opinion is that their quality has greatly improved and their products are a good price/quality investment.
Chino 6:27 PM - 5 November, 2018
Quote:
Jump ahead a couple of years. I have acquired several other Chauvet products and the quality & functionality has been good.

+1. I own 16 Chauvet EZ PAR 56s, a pair of Chauvet 255IRC moving heads and a pair of Chauvet Wash Fx2s. All have been very reliable. I receive compliments on my lighting especially when I bring out the moving heads & wash Fx2s.
Serhij 1:45 AM - 6 November, 2018
Quote:
Serhij -
If you're gonna do lasers - do them right. Here are a few tips...
1) Everyone can spot a cheap laser show. It's 2018, not 1996. A red laser pointer splashed on the wall will not do. Go with professional gear.
2) There are a lot of regulations with lasers. I got into lasers over 12 years ago and learned some pretty hard lessons. Check into variances and codes for lasers. www.lasershowsafety.info is a good place to start.
3) Control - control - control!!! A laser in "sound mode" is the worst effect possible. Get a laser that you can control either with DMX or ILDA signal.
4) Know when/where to use lasers. They are great for aerial effects (with fog) or animations on the wall. I use them for both. A bride/groom's name on the wall in lasers is a great effect, but... see #1.
5) Keep in mind that lasers do not give off much ambient light. Be sure to supplement them with wash lights or other effects. A single laser will loose its novelty in 5 minutes if not combined with other effects.

Here are the lasers and control software I use: pangolin.com

KVant lasers - Clubmax series. Pangolin Quickshow (FB3 and FB4 control hardware)

Hey DJ Reflex,

Thank you for a detailed reply, I appreciate that very much!