Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

2016 MacBook Pro Touch Bar - Ideas for Serato Integration

Joe Fresh 5:02 AM - 28 October, 2016
Hey guys,

As you probably saw today, Apple (finally) revealed the updated MacBook Pro with the new Touch Bar. It's a multi-touch OLED Retina strip located above the keyboard, where the function keys used to be. The Touch Bar's functions change contextually to show commands and shortcuts that pertain to the active application. Check out www.apple.com for more info.

I wanted to start a thread for possible ideas for Serato to integrate the Touch Bar into Serato DJ. I have no idea if Serato has plans to add support for the Touch Bar in a future release, but I thought this could be a good place to bounce some ideas around.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

1. Cue Points - color-coded buttons on the Touch Bar, labeled with either the cue point's time or (if applicable) its custom label. If there isn't room for all 16 cue points from both active decks, maybe just the first 4 cue points from each deck.

2. Sampler - 8 sample buttons along the Touch Bar, with bank selection.

3. Auto Roll - a touch-activated section of the strip, similar to the X-Pad on the Pioneer DJM-900Nexus, so when you press on the strip over a labeled beat value (1, 1/2, 1/4, etc) the auto roll is activated, and it's deactivated when you let go.

4. FX Control - also touch-activated, affects the wet/dry parameters of a selected effect, with buttons to choose which deck to apply the effect to.

Feel free to add your own ideas to this thread.
deejdave 6:53 PM - 30 October, 2016
BARRY SCOTT 10:52 PM - 30 October, 2016
You want to use the laptop keyboard more?
I've no doubt there'll be plenty of uses thought up but I think they'll all be gimmicks.
deejdave 12:36 AM - 31 October, 2016
This is about as effective as touchscreen for performance in general. What is the number one reason people get rid of the XDJ-1000's in favor of a real CDJ? The touchscreen cue points etc..............

BTW this would be yet another Apple only feature and with MixEmergency, Serato Remote, Serato Pyro, LINK (mobile) and even some elements of Serato Video itself................... I am not sure how well it would be accepted for those poor Windows users who are still having issues to this day. Not bashing Windows in any way, just stating a fact :)

Djay Pro included this because they are in fact an Apple only developer.
BARRY SCOTT 1:40 AM - 31 October, 2016
Also the video - not exactly an audience in the dj appreciation age range, and not exactly an exciting performance.
I can see it being useful for music production on the road,
maybe ok for offline previewing as a needle search, but as for live performance, this is no game changer.
don't believe the hype.
deejdave 2:04 AM - 31 October, 2016
Exactly. Track editing/playlist preparation.............. in other words not critical moments by any means.

As far as the video goes that was a horrible example but I can respect them for going with their CEO who at least stands behind their products. 20 years of experience led to that? ehh but ya know! LOL
Joe Fresh 6:15 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
youtu.be

I wasn't blown away by this performance either, but I think it was mainly to show what Touch Bar integration with DJ software could do.

Quote:
I can see it being useful for music production on the road,
maybe ok for offline previewing as a needle search

I didn't even think of needle search! That could definitely work for offline mode, though it's probably not a priority for anyone.

Quote:
This is about as effective as touchscreen for performance in general. What is the number one reason people get rid of the XDJ-1000's in favor of a real CDJ? The touchscreen cue points etc..............

Good point, though I would say that there are some touchscreen features on the CDJ-2000NXS2 that are terrific. I prefer physical buttons for hot cues/cue points, so maybe that wouldn't be so great on the MBP Touch Bar, but effects manipulation or library/crate scrolling may be more useful.
BARRY SCOTT 11:41 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:

...think it was mainly to show what Touch Bar integration with DJ software could do.

Like mp3 dj'ing at the turn of the millennium,
as long as you don't make any sudden movements
you might just pass for mediocre
Code:E 6:08 AM - 19 January, 2020
I would love to see touch strip controls for offline player mode to make it easier to organize tracks. maybe add to prepare folder or new folder shortcuts.

More importantly while DJing I want to see things like open prepare folder and files folder.