DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

8 Hour Gig for Free?

DJ Divergence 7:48 PM - 27 October, 2016
I'm a mobile DJ with no gigs lined up and no other employment. I just graduated high school with the class of 2016. I did gigs all the time over the summer but come October, I'm just without business. I'm 17 and I did most of my gigs for graduation parties with a wedding in late August. Now I'm in my parent's basement trying to find work. One of my friends still in high school hit me up today and asked if I "could do him a favor". I would DJ at a robotics competition at my old high school from 8:00am to 5:00pm. For free. My first thought was "A nine-hour gig for free? No way". However, as I think about it, I need to get my name out there and this event will have over 1000 people present. Should I take this gig?
DJ Guayo 7:55 PM - 27 October, 2016
You're gonna get your name out there as the 'free - jay'.... I wouldn't do it. Not in that scenario.
Antonio Essex 8:07 PM - 27 October, 2016
Fuck that free shit dude. If it's not for a family BBQ or birthday party, then you have to charge something. I bet they have money for the food, drinks, security, and people in charge of the event though! Next they're going to want you to help promote the competition on your social media. You're time is valuable. Spend those 8 hours making a resume and hunting for jobs instead.
DJ_Mav 8:13 PM - 27 October, 2016
I agree screw that. There are better ways to go about getting your name out there. Plus look into djing your old highschools dances for revenue. Get some cards printed too. If your doing a good job you will start getting work just by referrals. I am assuming your talking about mobile gigs
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:14 PM - 27 October, 2016
The answer is HELL NO. Not only will you get the rep of a freejay but look at the clientele who will be attending the event? Your gonna be background noise at best (not a great showcase) and the majority of the people there (highschool kids) arent the clientele to book djs.
Gio Alex 8:25 PM - 27 October, 2016
I hardly accept a paid gig for 6 hours. Can you imagine an 8 hour non paid gig!!??

Have you ever stood in one spot for that long? That shit blows!!! There is NO way in hell I'd cosign on taking an 8 hour gig for free. Especially not for some ADHD/ADD having high school kids. No disrespect to you.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:30 PM - 27 October, 2016
Thats 8 hours of shitty kids begging you to play "juju on tha beat " again
Gio Alex 8:39 PM - 27 October, 2016
Quote:

seriously man. That shit is brutal.

I did a junior high joint for like 2 hours once and that was traumatizing. They went from harlem shake to straight up daggering and grinding. Teachers had to separate them, and I was playing real radio friendly/age appropriate tunes.
DJ Divergence 10:50 PM - 27 October, 2016
Thank you for giving me all the advice. I've decided to at least talk to the woman in charge and ask for some sort of monetary payment. When I asked why she wanted me to start at 8:00am she said there was a lack of communication between her and the guy that contacted me. The correct starting time is 11:30am. Regardless of the start time, I need to get paid to spend my time doing this gig. How much should I ask for? Now do keep this in mind: this event is basically just going to be a "press play" event. No mixing at all, I do believe. On that note, why even hire a DJ?
4mydawgz 1:13 AM - 28 October, 2016
8 hours for free is criminal
DJ Jonasty 2:02 AM - 28 October, 2016
Tell her $500. If you play for free you are a fool
DJ Reflex 2:51 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Now do keep this in mind: this event is basically just going to be a "press play" event. No mixing at all, I do believe. On that note, why even hire a DJ?

True! What else are you bringing to the table? You got lights? Are you expected to MC the event on the mic? Is there a list of specific songs they need? Will they need sound/speakers in different locations?

Get all the info first, then decide on the gig.
DJ Divergence 3:32 AM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

True! What else are you bringing to the table? You got lights? Are you expected to MC the event on the mic? Is there a list of specific songs they need? Will they need sound/speakers in different locations?

Get all the info first, then decide on the gig.

Thank you, I'll ask her all of those questions. I have lights but I doubt I'll use them if I'm just providing what is essentially background music. If I have to MC the event, there is no way I'm doing it for free. I also forgot to mention that they're going to give me a list of songs I can/can't play. So if I don't have the songs they want, I'll have to buy them, costing me money. I need to be paid.
slimmjimm 3:39 AM - 28 October, 2016
Pass. Like someone said, what type of audience are you going to gain from this. Free exposure won't help you out in this case.
577er 2:07 PM - 28 October, 2016
Tell them you'd be happy to provide your talents, they just need to provide all of the equipment themselves, or... you could provide the equipment for a reasonable rate. Make them feel like they are getting a "free Dj" but be sure to get paid. Never work for free.
DJ Remy USA 3:55 PM - 28 October, 2016
HELL NO
DJ Remy USA 3:58 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Tell them you'd be happy to provide your talents, they just need to provide all of the equipment themselves, or... you could provide the equipment for a reasonable rate. Make them feel like they are getting a "free Dj" but be sure to get paid. Never work for free.

Ive done this telling them I'll spin for free but they have to rent equipment from me. They normally just end up paying my flat rate then
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:38 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Ive done this telling them I'll spin for free but they have to rent equipment from me. They normally just end up paying my flat rate then

I just imagine trying that and endind up standing at a table with an ipod and a pc speaker for 8 hours no pay
DJ GOODFOOT 5:46 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

LOL, this.
DJ Divergence 8:15 PM - 28 October, 2016
Okay, I received an email from the event coordinator which read

"The high school robotics team is hosting an FLL Qualifying Tournament on Nov 12th. It's from 8am to 5:30pm. I thought we had a DJ, but it turns out we have a girl with a cell phone. That's not going to work very well to be loud enough to get over 1,000 people in the big gym. (Principal) said that the built in speakers are not great, so it sounds like the original plan of having the girl hook up to that is not a good idea. Right now, I don't know what the rest of my budget is. It's the first time we're hosting this event. I've only bought the trophies and volunteer shirts, and I'm already at my income - so I don't think I can hire anyone, but we need something. I'm attaching the do not play, and the play lists. Is this maybe something you can help out with? Would you be able to volunteer your time/services?"

Then she attached the "do play" and "don't play" song lists. Now, gentlemen, I don't think I've ever seen someone write down this many songs not to play, like there has to be around 10,000. As for the songs I can play, I have some of them but, they are ridiculous, like "Harlem Shake". If I'm going to be background noise, why would they want "Watch Me"? I'm calling her right now.
577er 8:34 PM - 28 October, 2016
Tell them not to loose that girls number!
DJ_Mav 8:43 PM - 28 October, 2016
Thats some serious sound for a thousand people in a gym....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:46 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

"The high school robotics team is hosting an FLL Qualifying Tournament on Nov 12th. It's from 8am to 5:30pm. I thought we had a DJ, but it turns out we have a girl with a cell phone. That's not going to work very well to be loud enough to get over 1,000 people in the big gym. (Principal) said that the built in speakers are not great, so it sounds like the original plan of having the girl hook up to that is not a good idea. Right now, I don't know what the rest of my budget is. It's the first time we're hosting this event. I've only bought the trophies and volunteer shirts, and I'm already at my income - so I don't think I can hire anyone, but we need something. I'm attaching the do not play, and the play lists. Is this maybe something you can help out with? Would you be able to volunteer your time/services?"

Then she attached the "do play" and "don't play" song lists. Now, gentlemen, I don't think I've ever seen someone write down this many songs not to play, like there has to be around 10,000. As for the songs I can play, I have some of them but, they are ridiculous, like "Harlem Shake". If I'm going to be background noise, why would they want "Watch Me"? I'm calling her right now.

Nah bruh, they didn't think this out. Fact is that you GRADUATED already, so it's not like you do the event for free with the hope that your schoolmates or the school would realistically hire you again.

I would have said bring one speaker and an iphone for some "background" music, but nah bruh.
dj_soo 9:25 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

Send them to a pro sound company with the requirement of 1000 people in a gym and they'll find out very quickly how far "free" will get them.

And then a huge list of requirements on top of not paying for the djs?

I wouldn't touch this gig with a 10 foot pole.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:29 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

Well, not until the gig at least. Then theyll need to lose it because an ill timed phone call will shut the show down.

Actually, if i were the OP, id get the girls # and show up at the gig and just keep callin lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:31 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Send them to a pro sound company with the requirement of 1000 people in a gym and they'll find out very quickly how far "free" will get them.

And then a huge list of requirements on top of not paying for the djs?

I wouldn't touch this gig with a 10 foot pole.

Agreed. If theres 1 thing that will always hold true its that its the people who dont want to/cant pay shit that will ride your ass and make you miserable. Especially the ones who want free but put in the time to make a 10,000 song do not play list
DJ Tecniq 9:51 PM - 28 October, 2016
Or you could charge them $200 and make them a pre recorded mix lol...hey least you won't have to be there and still get paid. They can figure out the sound equipment on their own. An 8 hr gig sounds like overkill for a highschool. Shit a homecoming or prom dance is 3-4 hrs...imagine putting on another 4 ridiculous bro.
 6 10:20 PM - 28 October, 2016
Quote:

This just reaffirms what we everyone has been saying...

Don't do this gig.

nm
DJ Tecniq 11:15 PM - 28 October, 2016
They paid for everything else but forgot they need a DJ to cover the sound system/music... They didn't think this one through at all. Bad event planning on their part. That school needs to get their shit together.
Antonio Essex 12:21 AM - 29 October, 2016
I blame Obama for this "hand out" mentality!-bad joke
DJ Remy USA 12:48 AM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:

This
Papa Midnight 12:59 AM - 29 October, 2016
After reading through this entire thread, I believe we can all agree on the following:

Fuck that gig.
DJ Tecniq 3:55 AM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:
I still haven't gotten my Obama phone...😕
DJ Reflex 5:59 AM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Or my hoverboard!
Papa Midnight 10:02 PM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Or my hoverboard!

Where are my self-lacing sneakers, Nike?!
DJ Divergence 1:35 AM - 30 October, 2016
Hey guys, after a lengthy phone conversation, she said she can pay me "something". Oh boy, doesn't that sound promising? As a side note, I won't be background noise, people will be dancing and they event already has a MC. For reference, this is the equipment I would bring if I take this gig: Numark NS7, Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system (480 watt) and my Mackie HD1801 18" Subwoofer. For future referance, would this equipment be enough to do a "School dance" for 1000 people? Isn't the rule 5 watts per person inside, 10 watts per person outside? Thank you for all the advice. I have done a school dance with everything I listed except for the subwoofer. At that time, I didn't own a subwoofer. Ironically, my first gig was a school dance.
Papa Midnight 1:57 AM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:
For reference, this is the equipment I would bring if I take this gig: Numark NS7,

What you're using in this case is irrelevant, so I'll stick to the following:

Quote:
Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system (480 watt) and my Mackie HD1801 18" Subwoofer. For future referance, would this equipment be enough to do a "School dance" for 1000 people?

No. Not even remotely close - especially in a school gym. pdidy, if he's around, can give you some advice on sound reinforcement. However, consider that for 1000 people in a gym, you're going to need at least 4 tops pushing 1000-1500W Peak. 480W Peak won't cut it. At least an equal number of subwoofers is going to be necessary, and even then...

Quote:
Hey guys, after a lengthy phone conversation, she said she can pay me "something". Oh boy, doesn't that sound promising?

Allow me to help you out here in one word: Contract. We've all been DJing here long enough to know that "word" is equal to nothing in business. If it isn't on paper, it ain't worth it.
DJ Reflex 2:37 AM - 30 October, 2016
Papa Midnight (and pdidy) are correct when they say that your sound system will not be enough for a gym...

But, it's not a full-on dance. You won't be needing tons of bass and overpowering sound reinforcement. If people do dance, it's not going to be all 1000 people and there is still a robotics activity going on.

Keep the volume reasonable for the event. Not all gym fun cations require concert level sound systems. You should be fine with what you have. Just concentrate it on the areas where you need if people are going to be dancing instead of nerding out over some robots!
DJ Divergence 2:38 AM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:
Allow me to help you out here in one word: Contract. We've all been DJing here long enough to know that "word" is equal to nothing in business. If it isn't on paper, it ain't worth it.

Okay, I should've started using contracts a long time ago.... thanks for all of the advice though.
DJ Divergence 2:48 AM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:
Keep the volume reasonable for the event. Not all gym fun cations require concert level sound systems. You should be fine with what you have. Just concentrate it on the areas where you need if people are going to be dancing instead of nerding out over some robots!

Hahaha, I'm pretty sure they're going to be focused on their robot stuff but I've had my eye on QSC KW152 tops for awhile now. Not sure if that's overkill though, maybe QSC K12's would be better? I mean I already have the 18" subwoofer.
CMOS 5:58 PM - 30 October, 2016
"I can pay you something" could mean free food, or hey heres a tshirt, thanks for coming out.

Find out what "something" means.
DJ JSN 6:53 PM - 30 October, 2016
just do the gig, get your name out there. handout your business cards, make a banner with your contact. put a tip jar.
DJ JSN 6:54 PM - 30 October, 2016
but make a contract if any of your equipment is damaged by them they have to pay for it lol
Papa Midnight 7:01 PM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:
just do the gig, get your name out there. handout your business cards, make a banner with your contact. put a tip jar.

No.

This is almost as bad as that crap Urban Outfitters pulled - except without the Pay to Play.

Reference: serato.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:03 PM - 30 October, 2016
Quote:

worst advice of the thread
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:03 PM - 30 October, 2016
if your going to rely on a tip jar as payment for your time you'd be better off just standing on the corner of an offramp....at least that way your not putting milage on your equipment
DJ JSN 11:50 PM - 30 October, 2016
ya dont listen to me, just listen to bezzle, hes the best dj in america
DJ JSN 12:08 AM - 31 October, 2016
all i can say is everyone starts from the bottom and work their way up. every exposure you get leads to networking with others. one example is one person at that any. big or small function probably has a cousin who owns a nightclub, then he can refer you. if your starting out you ahould think about networking and not money. anyways its just my opinion to the one who asked not that nosy ass bezzle.
DJ JSN 12:11 AM - 31 October, 2016
btw if your looking to dj as a career and earn more income in your hometown you might as well look into being a wedding dj.
Dj-M.Bezzle 12:17 AM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
one example is one person at that any. big or small function probably has a cousin who owns a nightclub, then he can refer you.

Thats the problem, heres how that conversation goes.

Guy who's cousin owns a nightclub to cousin: "Hey, weren't you looking for a DJ? Ya I found a kid at this robot show I went to. The kids desperate and will pay for peanuts. Give him a call and tell him it will be great exposure. Thats all he seems to care about "
Quote:
ya dont listen to me, just listen to bezzle, hes the best dj in america

Or listen to the entire thread of working DJs who clearly agree with Bezzle
DJ Remix Detroit 12:58 AM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
"I can pay you something" could mean free food, or hey heres a tshirt, thanks for coming out.

Find out what "something" means.

this
DJ JSN 1:47 AM - 31 October, 2016
ok nevermind what i said, my apologies to everyone. yes im wrong, anyways i wish you the best dj divergence.
Taipanic 8:06 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
For reference, this is the equipment I would bring if I take this gig: Numark NS7, Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system (480 watt) and my Mackie HD1801 18" Subwoofer. For future referance, would this equipment be enough to do a "School dance" for 1000 people?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

No.

That system would be adequate for a house party, maybe a wedding of under 50 people. You wouldn't even hear it 40 feet away if the room is filled with people.
I would consider my 12,000 watt premium system adequate, I'd really want a couple more 4000 watt subs for EDM/Hip Hop content. Real Pro sound is not a game and definitely not cheap.
Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com
My boy Arnoldo specializes in School events. You might not get to that level but this is what schools want these days (and are willing to pay heavily). Keep learning and working to improve your talents and gear. Rent adequate gear until you can afford to by decent stuff.
Gio Alex 8:26 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
For reference, this is the equipment I would bring if I take this gig: Numark NS7, Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system (480 watt) and my Mackie HD1801 18" Subwoofer. For future referance, would this equipment be enough to do a "School dance" for 1000 people?

No.

That system would be adequate for a house party, maybe a wedding of under 50 people. You wouldn't even hear it 40 feet away if the room is filled with people.
I would consider my 12,000 watt premium system adequate, I'd really want a couple more 4000 watt subs for EDM/Hip Hop content. Real Pro sound is not a game and definitely not cheap.
Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com
My boy Arnoldo specializes in School events. You might not get to that level but this is what schools want these days (and are willing to pay heavily). Keep learning and working to improve your talents and gear. Rent adequate gear until you can afford to by decent stuff.

That youtube promo is amazing!!! LMAO
DJ Reflex 9:58 PM - 31 October, 2016
^^ No doubt! ^^

But... again, he's only playing music for a Robotics Competition. A 12,000 watt system is definitely not required for his type of gig.

The trussing would be a cool touch though!
DJ JSN 11:00 PM - 31 October, 2016
ah no wonder people thought i was crazy, i honestly didnt read all of this long thread lol definitely need to rent more sound and maybe lighting tho
CMOS 11:03 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.

Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Who else chuckled when they heard "In a worrrrld" lolol
Papa Midnight 11:34 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Damn son.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:57 PM - 31 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No.

Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Who else chuckled when they heard "In a worrrrld" lolol

I was really irritated by how quickly the original animation rendered out...the rest was dope
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:07 AM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:

Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Bruh, that was nothing short of a movie.
DJ Divergence 3:34 AM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:

Here's your competition:
Watchwww.youtube.com

That guy must charge at least $5000 for that gig. Schools around here barely want to shell out $1500. Anyway, I still wonder if two QSC K12's or QSC KW152's would be a good upgrade from my Gemini RS 408's to do larger gigs. I have done teen dances with 200 to 300 kids with my current set up and it works fine but I know I need more power. In regards to this robot gig, I called the lady and asked what "something" was she told me she'd give me more than $100 and a hug. I did neglect to mention I am their last resort because the type of event this is DOES require an actual DJ with CDJ's or a DJ controller just because of the fast pace of song switching/a little mixing. I also know the lady's son as he was the one who told his mom that I was a DJ. He came to my graduation party and we play airsoft together. Still though $100? That is pretty low...Then again, I'm 17 and $100 is okay. Like 1/20th of a car.
DJ JSN 4:33 AM - 1 November, 2016
i say if your comfortable than do it. those QSC KW152 should be good to rock a party. in my opinion its all about networking when you first start out, might be better than just sitting at home and doing nothing.
DJ Divergence 4:38 AM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
i say if your comfortable than do it. those QSC KW152 should be good to rock a party. in my opinion its all about networking when you first start out, might be better than just sitting at home and doing nothing.

Straight up dude, thanks for wishing me luck and for all the advice. I'm just torn between using my savings to attend college or to upgrade to better equipment. I wish you luck as well.
dj_soo 5:10 AM - 1 November, 2016
Fuck kid. Go to college. There will be money for a sound system later.

I can tell you off the bat that a pair of those qsc will also not be sufficient for 1000 people even if it's just background music.

Its a stupid gig to take even if you had the gear because paying the Dj seems like an afterthought to them and they're just scraping the bottom of the barrel to come up with a pitiance.
DJ Divergence 5:45 AM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
Fuck kid. Go to college. There will be money for a sound system later.

College tuition is exorbitant. I'm thinking of community college to be an EMT or firefighter but eventually want to be a medical doctor. Your right, higher education should be prioritized over DJing.
DJ JSN 7:48 AM - 1 November, 2016
maybe if you really want to dj it for the fun just bring the equipment you got. i dont think they should expect the best sound since the budget is low. then u can keep the full $100 without spending anything. one issue is if you buy new speakers and any other equipment for this gig and it breaks they wont be responsible for it. just a thought.
HighTopFade 8:56 AM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
maybe if you really want to dj it for the fun just bring the equipment you got. i dont think they should expect the best sound since the budget is low. then u can keep the full $100 without spending anything. one issue is if you buy new speakers and any other equipment for this gig and it breaks they wont be responsible for it. just a thought.

Very good point. They can't expect too much for 100 bucks. Do it. It will be a learning experience.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:43 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
I called the lady and asked what "something" was she told me she'd give me more than $100 and a hug.

You might see if you can get some extra yardage out of that "Hug".

Is she hot?

Just sayin....
DJ Tecniq 12:43 PM - 1 November, 2016
Do a mixtape and bring a boom box I'm sure they aren't expecting much lol no really though sound travels from all over esp in a gymnasium. Two tops and a sub won't be good enough "but" you will have sound. I would check some sound stores in your area you could always rent the equipment which is like $75 or more just for the event. I would start pricing some things out.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:44 PM - 1 November, 2016
And it's ya boy's Mom?

You could be setting yourself up for some GREAT stories to reflect back on later in life....

Just sayin....

YOLO
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:47 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
Do a mixtape and bring a boom box I'm sure they aren't expecting much lol no really though sound travels from all over esp in a gymnasium. Two tops and a sub won't be good enough "but" you will have sound. I would check some sound stores in your area you could always rent the equipment which is like $75 or more just for the event. I would start pricing some things out.

Hey Techniq,

Your attendance has been requested here -> serato.com
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:14 PM - 1 November, 2016
# ROTFLMAO ^ SAVAGE!!
Taipanic 2:39 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
^^ No doubt! ^^

But... again, he's only playing music for a Robotics Competition. A 12,000 watt system is definitely not required for his type of gig.

The trussing would be a cool touch though!

No he doesn't but was asking about doing school dances later...

The video is dope. Arnoldo Offerman has really brought school dances to another level, not only in production, but in making those several thousand dollar sales. He also does a lot of video reviews of gear and contributes to the DJ conventions like Mobile Beat, gives back a lot to the DJ community in general.

As has been said, they are scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as pay and quality so take what you have and do the best you can, chalk this up to a learning experience. This is not as serious as doing someone's wedding where inexperience and inadequate gear can ruin their big day. For regular sized gigs, two decent QSC/EV/Yamaha/RCF 12s or 15s and 1-2 18" subs will suffice. You can always rent extra gear for larger gigs like a school dance. I understand you are just starting out and you have limitations, my advice is always to steer newbies in a "Try to be the best you can" mentality and to buy better gear than the bottom level crap, as it will save you money and earn you more respect in the long run.
Papa Midnight 6:43 PM - 1 November, 2016
Quote:
Still though $100? That is pretty low...Then again, I'm 17 and $100 is okay. Like 1/20th of a car.

First off, I'm going to tell you frankly that $100 for an 8 hour gig is bullshit. You shouldn't even accept that for a 4 hour gig.

Here's why:

First off, it sounds like you have done mobile gigs before, so you should be well versed in the fact that "gig time" is not equal to "work time". We'll represent this as GtWt.

Realistically, that "8 Hour" Gt is closer to 12 or more hours of actual Wt.

Let's assume, just for ease, 30 minutes time to load all of your equipment into your vehicle. Then, another 30 minutes to get to where you're working.

Consider that weight and miles additional wear and tear on your vehicle + fuel.

Already, you're in for an hour towards Wt.

Now it's time to unload, and get ready to work. That's another 30 minutes towards Wt. Possibly longer or shorter depending on how efficient you are with regards to your setup, and just how much needs to be done.

Do you need to park your vehicle? Tack that on too.

Add another 30 minutes towards Wt to sound-check and get ready.

Now that we're in for 2 hours of Wt, it's time to start actually counting Gt. After the gig is done, you're in for 8 Hours of Gt, but you're in 10 hours of Wt.

Now it's time to break down, then go get your vehicle, and start loading. That's another hour right there towards Wt. Have they paid you yet? It's time to run down the person who is supposed to pay you.

Drive home. 30 Minutes to Wt. Also wear and tear on your vehicle.

Also, I don't care how good your neighborhood is. ALWAYS UNLOAD YOUR VEHICLE.

30 More minutes to Wt.

Congratulations. You just worked at least 12 hours.

At $100, you just made $8.33 Per Hour. Now be ready to take some of that and put it to gas, towards recovering expenses from equipment cost, towards vehicle wear and tear, and you still need to eat. The latter one you may not need to worry to much about since you're still at home with your parents, but you'll find this out real quick when you get to college.

Take this as a lesson because this is something that every mobile DJ needs to take into consideration for every gig that they do. It's why you'll see a lot of DJ's tack on additional charges for gigs outside of a certain radius.

I'm telling you: don't take this gig.
CMOS 10:32 PM - 1 November, 2016
Hes taking the gig.

Every post is him trying to convince himself its worth it because he wants to spin.

Fuck it take the gig, get that experience, learn why we all say dont take the gig, and dont do it again.

:P
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:41 PM - 1 November, 2016
I say see if you can work some magic outta that "hug"...

Just sayin.....
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:59 PM - 1 November, 2016
and don't forget the golden rule, payment in advance of the gig not after
DJ Reflex 1:06 AM - 2 November, 2016
I say "Go for it". When all is said and done, you can look back later and determine if it was worth it. If you don't do the gig, you'll never know. You might be kicking yourself for sitting home that night not making a nickel instead of $100. And let's not forget the hug!

We all started doing low paid gigs. I'm not saying do it for free, but if you enjoy the "work", then the 8 hours is not even a factor. Heck, he might even enjoy the robotics part. I've spent 12+ hours at a gig before (set-up, spinning, and take-down at concert events) and had a blast! I got paid, for sure, but it never seemed like work. I design and build my own gear (speakers, stage, trussing, lights, etc) specifically to use at these events and it's a ton of fun to actually get to use my stuff.
DJ Remy USA 2:03 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:

Just sayin.....

In all honesty Im more committed to helping him stretch this hug as its more action than the 8 hour gig combined.

When you go in for the hug tell her shes so intoxicating to look at and that her body is amazing. Then ask where she works out ask her out on a afternoon jog. Segway from there bro you will def stretch that hug. You dont even have to spend money jogging is free.
Gio Alex 2:10 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:

Just sayin.....

Best advice. Make the local paper and yearbook. We're rooting for ya! 👍🏽
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:11 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Just sayin.....

In all honesty Im more committed to helping him stretch this hug as its more action than the 8 hour gig combined.

When you go in for the hug tell her shes so intoxicating to look at and that her body is amazing. Then ask where she works out ask her out on a afternoon jog. Segway from there bro you will def stretch that hug. You dont even have to spend money jogging is free.

Say that *ish again! They didn't hear you the first time..

There's a whole "Undiscovered" World of "Hot Mom's"....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:12 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Just sayin.....

Best advice. Make the local paper and yearbook. We're rooting for ya! 👍🏽

This....
Papa Midnight 3:03 AM - 2 November, 2016
Y'all are freakin hilarious lol
DJ Tecniq 3:43 AM - 2 November, 2016
Just loop juju on that beat for 8 hours they'll get used to it.
DJ Divergence 4:50 AM - 2 November, 2016
The lady organizing it is really hot, not going to lie. 100% MILF.
DJ Tecniq 4:53 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Then give her just the tip. Hopefully she doesn't know your DJ name cause she can just google search you and this post will pop up lol...
DJ Tecniq 5:00 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Anyway, I still wonder if two QSC K12's or QSC KW152's would be a good upgrade from my Gemini RS 408's to do larger gigs
Gemini's are a piece of crap man of course QSC's would be a hell of an upgrade. You could always rent 1 Yorkville 18" sub and tops and the bass would definetly carry. Like I said you should look into renting equipment as most DJ stores do this for really cheap and assuming she said she'd give you more than $100 she prob means like $150 it's still shit but least you get a hug out of it...maybe a boob grab🤔 Good luck
DJ Divergence 5:49 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Anyway, I still wonder if two QSC K12's or QSC KW152's would be a good upgrade from my Gemini RS 408's to do larger gigs
Gemini's are a piece of crap man of course QSC's would be a hell of an upgrade. You could always rent 1 Yorkville 18" sub and tops and the bass would definetly carry. Like I said you should look into renting equipment as most DJ stores do this for really cheap and assuming she said she'd give you more than $100 she prob means like $150 it's still shit but least you get a hug out of it...maybe a boob grab🤔 Good luck

Thanks man. I'm not sure if I want QSC K12's or QSC K152's. If I had two 18" subs I'd look into the QSC KW153's. As of right now I have the Gemini RS-408 8" tops and one Mackie HD1801 18" subwoofer in terms of audio. I'm thinking that because of the sub I have, the K12's would be fine but I want to do school dances as well which I think the K152's or the K153's would be perfect. For the record schools in my area aren't too big max 400 kids at the dance. I went to prom and maybe there were 100 kids there. DJ had a system way too big for the crowd, but it's better to have too much, you can always turn down. I went to homecoming with my girlfriend (sorry MILF mom) and the DJ my school (well old school) hired literally had just two 10" maybe 12" tops, no subwoofer at all. No lights at all (then again it was a black light event but come on dude, bring at least a laser). When I saw his set-up I thought to myself, "I could've done this gig....with more bass". The only reason I have the Gemini's is because when I bought my Numark NS7, the guy just threw them in along with stands, and a DJ laptop (which I have no idea how to use). I know I need to upgrade. Just don't want to spend college money. Regardless, the DJ my school hired was from a local service that has the party moral "No moshing and no grinding". That DJ sucked dude, look, I know mic usage is needed but you don't have to say "Jump" twenty times during the "Cha Cha Slide". He also played two line dances in a row, something I was told NEVER to do (Opinions?) He also had the volume turned way down, maybe because if he went any louder he would blow his tops? The point here is that this school doesn't expect much and if that's what they want, I can exceed what they got last time just because of my subwoofer. My worry is that the sub will overpower the mid and highs of the 8" tops. Look, I've done a school dance at this school before, while I still went there, with the exact same set-up I still use. That was my first ever DJ gig, I did it for free (DJing in front of all the popular kids? Fuck yeah!) Now that I remember I didn't even have a sub for that gig. I remember how I just couldn't get my laser to point in the right direction. By the way, what exactly do you guys do with your lasers? Point them up at the ceiling, down at the floor, into grandma's cataracts? Anyway, just need to know what to get. Budget: $5000, my entire life savings that I wanted to use for college. Maybe I'll get a scholarship. Thanks for your help!
AKIEM 6:04 AM - 2 November, 2016
so you didnt grab her by the pussy?

*untracking*
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:01 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:

Bruh....

Then INVEST in dat "Hug"....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:12 AM - 2 November, 2016
And she KNOWS she's "Hot"....That's why she mentioned "The Hug"..

Invest my dude, Invest...
DJ Tecniq 12:01 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Thanks man. I'm not sure if I want QSC K12's or QSC K152's. If I had two 18" subs I'd look into the QSC KW153's. As of right now I have the Gemini RS-408 8" tops and one Mackie HD1801 18" subwoofer in terms of audio. I'm thinking that because of the sub I have, the K12's would be fine but I want to do school dances as well which I think the K152's or the K153's would be perfect. For the record schools in my area aren't too big max 400 kids at the dance
If you are a small guy the KW152's will be a bitch to haul unless you got a dolly or something cause they are big as fuck. 2 subs and two tops will be fine it won't fill 1000 ppl which I doubt you'll have. For 400 person crows or more Two 18" subs with tops will get the job done at least. As for lasers you can even mount them to your speaker poles you just need the right clamps it saves the hassle of using a light stand for all your lights. Two Swarm 5FX will be enough and maybe throw in some Mini Kintas which are small but have a great throw the beans are pretty wide. The schools I DJ for don't allow it to be pitch black so make sure the lights will even be visible for your school. They keep some lights on to watch the students and monitor their dancing lol..if you already got one sub just get another and use your tops along with them. It won't be the greatest but it will prob get you by.
DJ Tecniq 12:02 PM - 2 November, 2016
Beams*
formido11 12:34 PM - 2 November, 2016
8 hours for free?

Watchwww.youtube.com
DTweed 1:49 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Straight up dude, thanks for wishing me luck and for all the advice. I'm just torn between using my savings to attend college or to upgrade to better equipment. I wish you luck as well.

Go to school and get your education. you can do parties at your college to pay for better equipment once you're there. Wasting money on equipment that will degrade in value in the next 6 months is not worth having a degree and getting more knowledge.
DJ_Mav 1:58 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Go to school and get your education. you can do parties at your college to pay for better equipment once you're there. Wasting money on equipment that will degrade in value in the next 6 months is not worth having a degree and getting more knowledge.

Give this man a raise! It is do able to do school full time, have a job, and run a mobile business. Going through engineering school while working weekends when I am not gigging out. Started off my senior year of Highschool djing and currently in my fourth year. School is very important because what happens if you throw your back out while moving equipment?You are now S.O.L. From what I have seen on here and other forums is that Djing is alot of peoples side work/hobby on weekends. Once I am done with school I plan on working full time in my field and Djing as my enjoyment on weekend and you know bringing in some extra cash never hurt anyone lol
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:36 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Hes taking the gig.

Every post is him trying to convince himself its worth it because he wants to spin.

Fuck it take the gig, get that experience, learn why we all say dont take the gig, and dont do it again.

I was going to write this lol
DJ Matty Stiles 3:24 PM - 2 November, 2016
Off topic. But since we're handing down words of wisdom to the kids, the best advice I can give is to have a back up plan. I've seen too many cats dive head first into the DJ game (out of high school) and end up no where in their 30s.

Go to college, do a course, get a part time job somewhere because chances are youll need it in the long run.
Taipanic 5:04 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Off topic. But since we're handing down words of wisdom to the kids, the best advice I can give is to have a back up plan. I've seen too many cats dive head first into the DJ game (out of high school) and end up no where in their 30s.

Go to college, do a course, get a part time job somewhere because chances are youll need it in the long run.

+1
It's fairly hard to make a decent living just DJing these days, especially when spouse & kids come along, mtg payments, etc... You might also find you enjoy DJing more when you don't have to be dependent on it and you can be more selective on what gigs you take. Having a secondary, stable career or job can keep you out of the struggle zone, raise your overall quality of life, and get you some great gear.
DJ Remy USA 12:38 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:

he not listening though
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:49 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

he not listening though

That's alright...plus that's his boy's Mom too?

She could change his life....

but it may cost him a friendship.
DJ Reflex 1:36 AM - 4 November, 2016
Be sure to play "Mrs. Robinson"
Papa Midnight 2:06 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Be sure to play "Mrs. Robinson"

What about [Him] and Mrs. Jones?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:09 AM - 4 November, 2016
Man, look...

That's his boys MOM...

She "Knows" him, or has seen him around...

She know he would love to "Hug" her, probably caught him lookin...

She knows what she's doing...lmao.
DJ Divergence 3:39 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Man, look...

That's his boys MOM...

She "Knows" him, or has seen him around...

She know he would love to "Hug" her, probably caught him lookin...

She knows what she's doing...lmao.

Gentlemen, this woman told me her breast size when I was 15 years old. I can see it now, she walks up and says "Oh my, that's a BIG subwoofer you have hanging under the table". I'd say "Yes ma'am". In reality, I'm not going to cheat on my girlfriend. Unless I want to die a horrible death involving lighting and Gemini speakers. Did I mention that my girlfriend will be standing next to me the entire time? I took the gig anyway because I literally have nothing booked until June of next year and $100 can't hurt. Plus my mom is on my ass about working so I need to show her that I'm doing something. Do you want to know how big of a mistake I made over the summer? I did graduation parties for $50. Straight $50 cash. Granted all these gigs were for my classmates and they lived close and the kid was paying me, not the adult. I was dumb and didn't know how much to charge... I enjoyed it though. I'll tell you how this gig goes. Another thing is the principal of the school has been wanting to see me spin and this will show him that I can. I can only pray he doesn't find out how much they plan on paying me... So yeah, I guess I'll find out why this was a bad gig to take. Straight up gentlemen, I just want to spin. I don't care where it's at or how much it's making, I just want to spin.
 6 5:14 AM - 4 November, 2016
Think about this.

How much do people who work at fast food places for minimum wage make in 8 hours?

Now think about this.

Do they have to bring all this equipment to their place of employment?

If you're still taking this gig for almost nothing, YOU'RE AN IDIOT.

/thread

nm
DJ Divergence 6:05 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Think about this.

How much do people who work at fast food places for minimum wage make in 8 hours?

Now think about this.

/thread

I feel you though, I just want the money. The school is like 5 minutes from where I live and my equipment isn't too heavy and I don't have much. Plus I am their last resort and this is my friend's mother that needs the help. $100 is better than none my friend. Besides, I'd just be sitting at home making nothing on that day. Money is money man.
AKIEM 6:36 AM - 4 November, 2016
Bro, go ahead and do the gig if it makes sense. Its good you came on for feedback and thought it through. Don't worry about these fools mad and yelling about someone being an idiot.

Let us know how it goes (especially the hugs)
DJ Divergence 6:44 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Bro, go ahead and do the gig if it makes sense. Its good you came on for feedback and thought it through. Don't worry about these fools mad and yelling about someone being an idiot.

Yeah dude, I would spend the day that the gig is one, either sleeping or regretting not doing the gig and not making any money. Besides, it's at my old high school. Time to relive the awkward memories.

Gentlemen, all the details of the "hug" will be shared.
AKIEM 6:55 AM - 4 November, 2016
Boom.

I remember doing my old highschool and elementary schools. I have no idea what I was paid back then - surely not DJ Service cash. But I learned a lot, lessons I use to this day.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:16 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Gentlemen, this woman told me her breast size when I was 15 years old. I can see it now, she walks up and says "Oh my, that's a BIG subwoofer you have hanging under the table". I'd say "Yes ma'am"..

I tol't y'all.

Man, get that hug...but wait until your girl isn't around.

It will change your life.

***Drops mic***
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:20 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:

This...

As there's more "at stake" here than you just doing a gig on the cheap, which we didn't know.

Not sure how the principal thing will play out, but IF he can get you some gigs, then power thru. LOTS of DJ's do things for low money, IF they feel that opportunities will arise from it.

Besides the Mom will "Owe" you.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:21 AM - 4 November, 2016
Plus, now you have a good basis of WHEN not to take a gig.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:31 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This...

As there's more "at stake" here than you just doing a gig on the cheap, which we didn't know.

Not sure how the principal thing will play out, but IF he can get you some gigs, then.

.....they will also be low money gigs
DJ Guayo 2:21 PM - 4 November, 2016
Sometimes the best way to learn is to get burned. Do the gig, learn from it, and drop D on the mom.
Papa Midnight 2:32 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Hes taking the gig.

Well, CMOS called it.
Taipanic 2:41 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Hes taking the gig.

Well, CMOS called it.

Well, yeah.
This is a kid playing DJ, not someone who is really willing to invest and start working towards a lifelong career/passion. This guy will probably be hitting me up for requests in about 10 years with the ole " I used to be a DJ too...."
So he will either do half-assed gigs for a few years, undercutting everyone until he is bored with it, or he will decide to invest in himself. If he does that, he can come back here and reread this thread and a hundred others out there that will save him time, effort, & money while making him a better DJ.
AKIEM 2:45 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hes taking the gig.

Well, CMOS called it.

Well, yeah.
This is a kid playing DJ, not someone who is really willing to invest and start working towards a lifelong career/passion. This guy will probably be hitting me up for requests in about 10 years with the ole " I used to be a DJ too...."
So he will either do half-assed gigs for a few years, undercutting everyone until he is bored with it, or he will decide to invest in himself. If he does that, he can come back here and reread this thread and a hundred others out there that will save him time, effort, & money while making him a better DJ.

...and cost him the experience.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:18 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hes taking the gig.

Well, CMOS called it.

Well, yeah.

Nailed it
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:19 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Think about this.

Now think about this.

/thread

I feel you though, I just want the money. The school is like 5 minutes from where I live and my equipment isn't too heavy and I don't have much. Plus I am their last resort and this is my friend's mother that needs the help. $100 is better than none my friend. Besides, I'd just be sitting at home making nothing on that day. Money is money man.

You sound like a working girl talking about her pimp
AKIEM 4:29 PM - 4 November, 2016
Yall sound like he's in here asking what to play sat night at the club 1000 cap. It's not even a dance.

He literally snagged the gig from a chix with an iPad. Telling him to take a nap instead of gain the experience and a crack at an actual school dance (and the moms). ha. He won't go anyplace ever holding out for pro market pay. Any working DJ think he's taking it gig? Really, y'all that job?

That chix is going to be doing the homecoming dance with that iPad listening to you dudes. lol.
Gio Alex 4:31 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Yall sound like he's in here asking what to play sat night at the club 1000 cap. It's not even a dance.

He literally snagged the gig from a chix with an iPad. Telling him to take a nap instead of gain the experience and a crack at an actual school dance (and the moms). ha. He won't go anyplace ever holding out for pro market pay. Any working DJ think he's taking it gig? Really, y'all that job?

That chix is going to be doing the homecoming dance with that iPad listening to you dudes. lol.

True!
Papa Midnight 6:43 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Think about this.

Now think about this.

/thread

You sound like a working girl talking about her pimp

He's pimping himself on this one.
Mr. Goodkat 8:03 PM - 4 November, 2016
could have tried to get 4-8 djs like yourself that wanted to play and kinda set it up as a charity thing. then you can meet other djs that you can team up with in the future or that can sub for you if you have 2 gigs on the same days. Some people arent the best djs, but might have sound or lighting that you can use as a crew to dj parties/events.
CMOS 11:31 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Straight up gentlemen, I just want to spin. I don't care where it's at or how much it's making, I just want to spin.

I changed my mind....

I respect the shit outta this. The kid is 17 and wants to spin. Go get em yo. Everyone here was there at one point.
Papa Midnight 12:12 AM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Straight up gentlemen, I just want to spin. I don't care where it's at or how much it's making, I just want to spin.

I changed my mind....

I respect the shit outta this. The kid is 17 and wants to spin. Go get em yo. Everyone here was there at one point.

Me to, but we gotta tell him though. Better he learn this from those with experience than have to learn it the hard way.
DJ Divergence 5:24 AM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:

Well, yeah.

I don't have the money to invest right now. I had to get work today, so I got a construction job to get some money together. DJ gigs just aren't coming up for me right now, over the summer it was different but now, like I said, nothing until 2017. Then college and shit. I can't invest right now, not until I have a greater education.

Quote:

Straight up dude, thanks for seeing through the illusion of money. I know making money may be important for everyone else here but let's go the facts here. 1) I pay no bills or rent. 2) I buy no food. 3) I have full health insurance through my parents until I'm 25. 4) I don't have a car because I don't have my drivers license yet because I have epilepsy, I will be getting my license on the 28th of this month, however. So I don't buy gas or pay for any car-related fees. I pay for nothing. NOTHING. All of you guys have bills to pay and other people to support (maybe). Of course, you think this is a bad gig because for you, $100 is literally nothing, maybe a fifth of rent. For me, $100 is more money to save for my future. Gentlemen, I've done a 10-hour wedding for $300. I did 28 graduation parties over the summer, $50 each. Ranging from 3 hours to 5. I did a 8-hour pig roast for $250. I also was a DJ for the the county park sysytem who paid me $9.50 an hour for two hour DJ dances. I did a 6 hour school dance for FREE (my first gig for my all night senior party). I offered to do the Class of 2017 All night senior party for FREE (she insisted on paying me though). I LOVE spinnin'.Without a doubt the next sentence will change in time but: Gentlemen, I spin for passion, not for payment.
HighTopFade 6:50 AM - 5 November, 2016
TMI. Posting your personal life outside of DJing wasn't really necessary. Anyhow, your mind is made up and you're taking the gig. Sounds like your current gear has worked so far. Go out there and kill it.
dj_soo 7:06 AM - 5 November, 2016
getting paid for your passion is a thing and you should devalue your own work and the work of all the working DJs out there that are valuing their own time and effort.

good luck and have fun making that $12/hour.
dj_soo 7:07 AM - 5 November, 2016
*shouldn't devalue
AKIEM 8:58 AM - 5 November, 2016
Glad I came in here real quick. Now - I've been on this forum for a long time, and made a LOT of posts. And ive said a lot of bullshit, but I've always stood by whatever fucked up shit I was saying, and I've never wanted to backtrack that much or delete a post.

Im not actually wrong in the wording....

but

sigh

Quote:

Quote:

Straight up dude, thanks for seeing through the illusion of money. I know making money may be important for everyone else here but let's go the facts here. 1) I pay no bills or rent. 2) I buy no food. 3) I have full health insurance through my parents until I'm 25. 4) I don't have a car because I don't have my drivers license yet because I have epilepsy, I will be getting my license on the 28th of this month, however. So I don't buy gas or pay for any car-related fees. I pay for nothing. NOTHING. All of you guys have bills to pay and other people to support (maybe). Of course, you think this is a bad gig because for you, $100 is literally nothing, maybe a fifth of rent. For me, $100 is more money to save for my future. Gentlemen, I've done a 10-hour wedding for $300. I did 28 graduation parties over the summer, $50 each. Ranging from 3 hours to 5. I did a 8-hour pig roast for $250. I also was a DJ for the the county park sysytem who paid me $9.50 an hour for two hour DJ dances. I did a 6 hour school dance for FREE (my first gig for my all night senior party). I offered to do the Class of 2017 All night senior party for FREE (she insisted on paying me though). I LOVE spinnin'.Without a doubt the next sentence will change in time but: Gentlemen, I spin for passion, not for payment.

Man, I thought this was like your first or second gig or some shit?! wtf?

AKIEM slowly backing out and hitting *untrack*
DJ Tecniq 12:41 PM - 5 November, 2016
Damn I've never had to DJ a 10 hr wedding. The guest would pretty much be ready to leave by then. Longest is maybe 6 hours or less. For $300 that is dirt cheap you should be charging at least $75-$100 an hour for your time. Were you exhausted after those 10 hours? I bet packing up was a pain unless you didn't have the much equipment. The reception should last no longer than 4-5 hours. They must of been big drinkers and loved to party.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:10 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Gentlemen, I've done a 10-hour wedding for $300. I did 28 graduation parties over the summer, $50 each. Ranging from 3 hours to 5. I did a 8-hour pig roast for $250. I also was a DJ for the the county park sysytem who paid me $9.50 an hour for two hour DJ dances. I did a 6 hour school dance for FREE (my first gig for my all night senior party). I offered to do the Class of 2017 All night senior party for FREE (she insisted on paying me though). I LOVE spinnin'.Without a doubt the next sentence will change in time but: Gentlemen, I spin for passion, not for payment.

See, now I still want you to get that hug, but to be honest, you ARE devaluing the DJ'ing culture.

The way it was coming across was that you didn't have anything to do that night, but you're ALREADY known as the "Payless DJ" in that part of town.

28 Graduation parties? 50 bucks apience? That's 1400 bucks + the 300 wedding + 250 Pig party, That's close to 2000, versus you at least DOUBLING the amount of money by charging adequately (really tripling), and it STILL would have been on the low end of pay for DJ'ing.

Now it comes together, she wants to give you that hug, because it's cheaper than paying you your worth.

Man you need to re-evaluate.
Papa Midnight 4:53 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
good luck and have fun making that $12/hour.

Been over this already. It's closer to $8 an hour. serato.com

I can understand just wanting to spin, but...

Quote:
He's pimping himself on this one.
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:00 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Well, yeah.

I don't have the money to invest right now. I had to get work today, so I got a construction job to get some money together. DJ gigs just aren't coming up for me right now, over the summer it was different but now, like I said, nothing until 2017. Then college and shit. I can't invest right now, not until I have a greater education.

Quote:

Those are all great facts but here are some facts for you. Djs USED to be able to charge $1000+ for these gigs your spinning for free. The reason we cant (or its much rarer) is dumb ass kids like your self doing "professional" work for free (not this shitty ipod gig but all the rest). Now its great that you dont have bills to pay but the fact is, one day soon, you will and wouldnt it be nice to pay those bills bu doing something you love? Ya, that would be great BUT A) there will be some other jerkoff doing it for "the passion" B),you personally wont get the offers because everyone will know youll spin for peanuts while they cash checks at the bank. Your posting these free gigs you did as if we are supposed to respect you but while your out there doing hard labor for free, theres a real dj whos parents ARENT paying his bills sittinh at home out of work. You keep talking about furthering your education but you sure arent listening to anything anyones tryin to teach you
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:05 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Well, yeah.

Quote:

Btw, if you had charged adequately for all those partys you listed above you would alreasy have those QSCs you were whining about not being able to afford a few posts up. See your looking at this from the "now" perspective of not having bills. You need to be looking toward the future, charge $$$, get paid, buy gear, then when you get to the point where most jackasses your age are trying to hustle together $50 partys with hoise speakers and ipods, youll have the gear to be charging $1500 a pop for real gigs
DJ Divergence 7:42 PM - 5 November, 2016
Man, I wish I could make more and I've tried but whenever I tell people (random people) that I want $800 for their wedding their like "That's too expensive and we'll find someone cheaper than you". So after a month of trying to find high paying work, I said fuck it and I'm like a hooker now. Do you think people will pay more for a better sound system?
DJ Divergence 7:45 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:

Btw, if you had charged adequately for all those partys you listed above you would alreasy have those QSCs you were whining about not being able to afford a few posts up. See your looking at this from the "now" perspective of not having bills. You need to be looking toward the future, charge $$$, get paid, buy gear, then when you get to the point where most jackasses your age are trying to hustle together $50 partys with hoise speakers and ipods, youll have the gear to be charging $1500 a pop for real gigs

I understand what you're saying, instead of focusing too much on the present, look more towards the future. I agree with you now. By the way, how much should I charge for graduation parties? $100?
Dj-M.Bezzle 7:52 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Man, I wish I could make more and I've tried but whenever I tell people (random people) that I want $800 for their wedding their like "That's too expensive and we'll find someone cheaper than you".

And you know why they can tell you that??? Take a guess...
DJ Divergence 7:53 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Man, I wish I could make more and I've tried but whenever I tell people (random people) that I want $800 for their wedding their like "That's too expensive and we'll find someone cheaper than you".

And you know why they can tell you that??? Take a guess...

Because there's a lot of other undercutting DJ's that will do weddings for $300 or $150?
DJ Divergence 8:54 PM - 5 November, 2016
Maybe I am a piece of shit for working for reduced prices but I've only been DJing since May 26, 2016. That's still no excuse for the extremely low prices. Shit, I still don't know what to charge. I've always been paid in cash for DJing. Except the county park, they had me on payroll and there was nothing I could do about that. So yeah, I am a horrible person for doing gigs at surprisingly low prices but after reading all of your responses, never again after this gig....
Mr. Goodkat 9:19 PM - 5 November, 2016
dont worry about what these guys say, just do your thing. if you wanna work every gig for free, do it.

BUT, be smart about it. like i said, start linking with other young djs. Unless they are super advanced from your level, be sure they have gear, sound, lights, something that they can offer with your setup. Get cards, get a website, go to bars, find event managers, look for charities(sometimes you can get a tax write off)

if one of these guys says its gonna make it tough on them, its not, because people that dont pay people for work arent going to automatically pay a pro either.

other routes you can go for these events, which ive done for friends, is to make a playlist on a ipod, ipad, laptop with itunes, or serato pyro and just set up some speakers and let the music play that you've chosen for them run thru a 1/8th inch chord so they can plug their phone, pad, laptop play as well. most people really dont realize thats all they need.
DJ Divergence 11:31 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
dont worry about what these guys say, just do your thing. if you wanna work every gig for free, do it.

BUT, be smart about it. like i said, start linking with other young djs. Unless they are super advanced from your level, be sure they have gear, sound, lights, something that they can offer with your setup. Get cards, get a website, go to bars, find event managers, look for charities(sometimes you can get a tax write off)

if one of these guys says its gonna make it tough on them, its not, because people that dont pay people for work arent going to automatically pay a pro either.

other routes you can go for these events, which ive done for friends, is to make a playlist on a ipod, ipad, laptop with itunes, or serato pyro and just set up some speakers and let the music play that you've chosen for them run thru a 1/8th inch chord so they can plug their phone, pad, laptop play as well. most people really dont realize thats all they need.

Thanks for seeing the world through my eyes and thanks for your suggestions! I think linking up with other young DJs is a great idea! However, the other guys still make a good point that I could be making more money. In essence, I have learned a lot from this thread. Basically, everyone that posted taught me something. I want to thank everyone.
DJ Tecniq 11:26 PM - 6 November, 2016
For gigs you should at least be charging $75-$100 an hour. For example I charge $100 an hour and charge an extra $50 for setup/breakdown time. Keep in mind they aren't just paying you "for dj'ing" they are also paying for the sound system and whatever else..DJ lights etc.
DJ Tecniq 11:30 PM - 6 November, 2016
Some have said I charge too much but I tell them then find another DJ that's cheaper that will do a half ass job. If they want quality and professional service that's what they'll get. And in the end you will have a reputation of being "the cheap DJ" if you are serious about dj'ing then start charging more so you can afford better equipment. Just some advice.
HighTopFade 11:45 PM - 6 November, 2016
Just curious. What do your local top tier DJ charge?
DJ Reflex 2:18 AM - 7 November, 2016
Haven't we beaten this horse to death yet?

Let us all know how this one turns out.
DJ Tecniq 3:37 AM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:
Haven't we beaten this horse to death yet?

Let us all know how this one turns out.
LOL true...I'm really curious to see how this gig turns out Nov 12th can't come soon enough..
DJ Divergence 4:09 AM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:
For gigs you should at least be charging $75-$100 an hour. For example I charge $100 an hour and charge an extra $50 for setup/breakdown time. Keep in mind they aren't just paying you "for dj'ing" they are also paying for the sound system and whatever else..DJ lights etc.

Thanks for the advice!

Quote:
Just curious. What do your local top tier DJ charge?

I live in a bumblefuck area with nothing but crops around. There are no companies around here, just independent DJ's that work for next to nothing. I called around quoting prices for a 3 hour wedding reception and the highest price I was told was $500 cash.
 6 4:57 AM - 7 November, 2016
lol @ doing all those gigs for free THEN expecting people to pay you.

Here. Read this.

turntablemix.com

nm
DJ Divergence 9:02 AM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:

Here. Read this.

turntablemix.com

That helps, wish I saw that back in May. I've only done one gig for free (first one). Besides that I've been making cash, just didn't care what I was making until now.
Dj-M.Bezzle 2:52 PM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Here. Read this.

turntablemix.com

That helps, wish I saw that back in May. I've only done one gig for free (first one). Besides that I've been making cash, just didn't care what I was making until now.

Heres something important to remember. You may be thinking "oh i dont have any bills, $10 is fine" but what happens when your at that party and someone spills a drink on your mixer, or you drop in in transportation ect ect....how will that $10 help you replace your equipment?
DJ_Mav 2:58 PM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:
Heres something important to remember. You may be thinking "oh i dont have any bills, $10 is fine" but what happens when your at that party and someone spills a drink on your mixer, or you drop in in transportation ect ect....how will that $10 help you replace your equipment?

+1
Should be able to pay for all your equipment you are bringing in about 10-20 gigs
Taipanic 3:34 PM - 7 November, 2016
If I made $2k doing gigs over the last year and lived at home with no bills, I'd have at least $2k of new gear I'd be playing with.
Just sayin...
DJ Divergence 9:46 PM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:

Fuck...
DJ Reflex 12:40 AM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Fuck...

Do'h... didn't see that one coming did we??? LoL

You can get DJ insurance that covers this kinda thing, but that adds to your expenses. It's a vicious cycle!
DJ Divergence 1:39 PM - 8 November, 2016
Do'h... didn't see that one coming did we??? LoL

You can get DJ insurance that covers this kinda thing, but that adds to your expenses. It's a vicious cycle!

Would that insurance be outrageously expensive like basically everything else?
 6 2:25 PM - 8 November, 2016
Quote:
Would that insurance be outrageously expensive like basically everything else?

It's actually affordable... but only if you're getting paid for said gigs. lol

nm
DJ Divergence 2:36 PM - 8 November, 2016
It's actually affordable... but only if you're getting paid for said gigs. lol

Okay, well I'll have to look into it.
DJ Remy USA 11:34 PM - 8 November, 2016
so are you gonna get this hug or nah?
DJ Divergence 2:28 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

I met with the MILF tonight.
DJ Tecniq 2:49 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I met with the MILF tonight.
Did you grab her by the p***y
DJ Divergence 2:56 AM - 9 November, 2016

I wish I could attach photos.... No, I am yet to grab her by the pu**y.
DJ Tecniq 3:05 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

lmao!
DJ Divergence 4:30 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

lmao!

I went to the meeting tonight and they want me in the corner of the gym so my sound will be fucked up for some people because it will travel just toward one side of the gym. I tried explaining why I would like to be in the center but it's really conservative and it got me nowhere. This isn't a school dance and there will be no more than 6 people on the gym floor at any one time so my current set-up will do fine. Basically for this gig, I just need my cue-points perfectly set.
dj_soo 4:54 AM - 9 November, 2016
Your Geminis will travel about 20 or 30 feet and then no one will hear much other than muffled noise beyond that.
Dj-M.Bezzle 5:18 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

I need to get my name out there and this event will have over 1000 people present.

Quote:
This isn't a school dance and there will be no more than 6 people on the gym floor at any one time

Well that certainly dropped quickly
DJ Divergence 5:41 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I need to get my name out there and this event will have over 1000 people present.

Quote:
This isn't a school dance and there will be no more than 6 people on the gym floor at any one time

Well that certainly dropped quickly

Everyone else will be sitting on the bleachers. Each team (of 6) runs around the gym to music. Basically my entire day.
DJ Divergence 5:43 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Your Geminis will travel about 20 or 30 feet and then no one will hear much other than muffled noise beyond that.

No, I've used them at much larger locations and they will do just fine.
DJ Divergence 5:45 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

Although it's not what they're meant for, I understand. 8" wouldn't hold up if everyone was on the gym floor. I booked a wedding today which will allow me to purchase the QSC 152's I've wanted.
DJ Remy USA 9:04 AM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

well you wont go to jail or anything so just grab it and report back to us. You can upload a pic to photobucket.

We rooting for you man
DJ Remy USA 9:04 AM - 9 November, 2016
Tell her shes intoxicating chicks love hearing that dude its never steered me wrong especially with older ladies. Go get em
DJ Divergence 1:05 PM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Tell her shes intoxicating chicks love hearing that dude its never steered me wrong especially with older ladies. Go get em

Yes sir!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:24 PM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
. I booked a wedding today which will allow me to purchase the QSC 152's I've wanted.

lol, so how much did you charge again?
CMOS 6:20 PM - 9 November, 2016
This thread is getting rapey.
DJ Remy USA 9:33 PM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:

So is our country lol I mean Murcia.
AKIEM 9:37 PM - 9 November, 2016
Im not a raper.
CMOS 11:32 PM - 9 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This is so appropriate for right now lolol:

Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Divergence 3:45 AM - 10 November, 2016
Quote:

I know dude...
DJ Divergence 3:45 AM - 10 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

This is so appropriate for right now lolol:

Watchwww.youtube.com

'Merica
DJ Divergence 2:23 AM - 13 November, 2016
Gig went fantastic! My Gemini's held up just fine, as expected. I cut the bass completely from the Gemini's and let the Mackie Sub handle the bass. The tops being a little underpowered for a school gym was my main concern, even though I've done bigger venues but they were open, not enclosed. 8" speakers work 100% fine in a school gym. Of course, bigger speakers would be ideal but my Gemini's did fine. I passed out my cards to everyone that asked for one. After everything ended, I went to the volunteer room and they offered me food and gave me a lot to take home. The lady paid me and gave me said hug. A 20-second hug, gentlemen. Girlfriend never showed up today... Anyway, I loved this gig and I can't wait for next year!
HighTopFade 2:46 AM - 13 November, 2016
Nice. Glad it all worked out.
DJ Divergence 2:47 AM - 13 November, 2016
Quote:

Thanks man! I expected a much different response...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:01 PM - 13 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Why?

And 20 SECONDS?

Man, you in dere...
DJ Reflex 10:09 PM - 13 November, 2016
Cool - Personal satisfaction is worth just as much as a paycheck sometimes.

... and sometimes the paycheck justifies the personal anguish of a crappy gig! LoL
DJ Divergence 3:00 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Why?

And 20 SECONDS?

Man, you in dere...

I thought people we're going to be like "Great job fucking up what it means to get paid to be a DJ". About that hug, I was about to walk away and she said "Come here, (my name)." I turned around she had this seductive smile and she pulled me close and tight. I let go first and she said "I can't wait to have you back next year". As a side note, she apologized for the small payment and promised to pay me appropriately next year.
DJ Divergence 3:02 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Cool - Personal satisfaction is worth just as much as a paycheck sometimes.

... and sometimes the paycheck justifies the personal anguish of a crappy gig! LoL

I agree, I've had some crappy gigs before. After one super crappy gig, I went out and bought a watch that counts seconds too.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:06 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
I thought people we're going to be like "Great job fucking up what it means to get paid to be a DJ". About that hug, I was about to walk away and she said "Come here, (my name)." I turned around she had this seductive smile and she pulled me close and tight. I let go first and she said "I can't wait to have you back next year". As a side note, she apologized for the small payment and promised to pay me appropriately next year.

Ok, now you sound like a Harlequin Romance Novel...

You have to give her a tip.

That will make everything in the DJ Universe right again.

Let us know when you hit.
DJ Divergence 3:26 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know man, this is my friends mother... and I really don't want to cheat on my girlfriend.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:55 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't know man, this is my friends mother... and I really don't want to cheat on my girlfriend.

Ya boy will be alright.

As for your girlfriend, I'm sure that ol' lady will teach you a few tricks you can use on your girlfriend....

She'll be happier in the longrun.

Finally, it would take the attention away from how you're lowering the DJ art singlehandedly.
DJ Tecniq 4:42 AM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Damn this thread is funny. Nice! Did you at least get $100 bucks and is she single? It sounds like it.
Taipanic 2:45 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:

Finally, it would take the attention away from how you're lowering the DJ art singlehandedly.

LOL!

and

Quote:

8" speakers work 100% fine in a school gym.

Not sure which one was funnier.
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:52 PM - 14 November, 2016
Since the Thread Took A Different Tangent I Might As Well Throw In This Question

The Bar Staff. . . Some Hot Shawties In That Pool. . . Whats The Technique.

Till date I run with the motto, don't shit where you eat.
KayPlaya 8:43 PM - 14 November, 2016
People like this are the reason these high schools in my area wanna to pay a DJ $400 to DJ their school dances.
Then hire rookie DJs with 8" speakers to fill a school gym and wonder why kids don't go.
Then say they're max budget for DJs is $400 because they have a hard time getting students to go to the dances. SMDH
DJ Divergence 10:21 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
People like this are the reason these high schools in my area wanna to pay a DJ $400 to DJ their school dances.
Then hire rookie DJs with 8" speakers to fill a school gym and wonder why kids don't go.
Then say they're max budget for DJs is $400 because they have a hard time getting students to go to the dances. SMDH

This wasn't a school dance. This was for an after school club that only got enough money from fundraising and from the school itself to buy trophies. I was just background noise for the most part. I wasn't the focus for this event.
DJ Divergence 10:23 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Damn this thread is funny. Nice! Did you at least get $100 bucks and is she single? It sounds like it.

Yeah, she pulled out her purse and paid the $100 from her pocket. I'm not sure if she's single but she sure does act like it.
DJ Divergence 10:31 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:

Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

As for your girlfriend, I'm sure that ol' lady will teach you a few tricks you can use on your girlfriend....

So your telling me to hit her up?
Mr. Goodkat 10:46 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

dont listen to these guys having porn fantasys
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:13 PM - 14 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

With the quickness.
DJ Divergence 12:27 AM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

Yeah, it's a little far fetched.
DJ Divergence 12:28 AM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

With the quickness.

I'm not too quick with women.
KayPlaya 4:33 AM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This wasn't a school dance. This was for an after school club that only got enough money from fundraising and from the school itself to buy trophies. I was just background noise for the most part. I wasn't the focus for this event.

Right. So because the school helped with the finances/donations they are aware of how much the group had budgeted for the event. When it comes time for them to host a dance, in that same gym I'm assuming, they'll know there was a DJ who did an 8 hour event for $100. "We only need him for 4 hours." Also, people don't know that there is a cost difference between background music DJ and school dance DJ.
DJ Divergence 8:18 AM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Right. So because the school helped with the finances/donations they are aware of how much the group had budgeted for the event. When it comes time for them to host a dance, in that same gym I'm assuming, they'll know there was a DJ who did an 8 hour event for $100. "We only need him for 4 hours." Also, people don't know that there is a cost difference between background music DJ and school dance DJ.

The school had no idea there was going to be a DJ at all. It was the last thing the event organizer realized she needed and the school has no idea how much I received for my services because it was paid in cash and behind closed doors. Essentially, no one knows how much I got paid except for me, everyone who has read this thread, and the woman who handed me the cash. However, you are right, too many people mistake background noise DJ entertainment with the active entertainment DJ experience. Would I do this type of gig again? Yes. For $100? No. It was a good experience and it was my first assembly/competition event. I had fun doing it and because zero work was involved (select song and press play), I could talk to people and eat. Like someone above said, if I declined it, I would just sit at home not making any money. This was my first gig in a 2-month span of no gigs. I just wanted to be behind the decks again.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:14 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

Yeah, it's a little far fetched.

And so is DJ'ing 28 Graduation parties for 50 bucks apiece, but you made it happen, no?
Dj-M.Bezzle 6:34 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The school had no idea there was going to be a DJ at all. It was the last thing the event organizer realized she needed and the school has no idea how much I received for my services because it was paid in cash and behind closed doors. Essentially, no one knows how much I got paid except for me, everyone who has read this thread, and the woman who handed me the cash.

Sorry but odds are none of this is trur

Quote:
I had fun doing it and because zero work was involved (select song and press play)

So you didnt load, unload, set up equipment, mix songs, break down, drive there, drive back ect

Quote:

I could talk to people and eat. Like someone above said, if I declined it, I would just sit at home not making any money.

Well this scenario probably cost you money so 0 money > negative money
pdidy 6:50 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
No. Not even remotely close - especially in a school gym. pdidy, if he's around, can give you some advice on sound reinforcement.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system

Clearly I'm a little late to the party lol...... but I needed a visual so I looked them up at Walmart www.walmart.com
Dj_Nix 6:55 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ya boy will be alright.

giggiddy

Dj_Nix 6:58 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:

Clearly I'm a little late to the party lol...... but I needed a visual so I looked them up at Walmart www.walmart.com

this right here is funny. but I started with shiiiity equipment too. keep grinding bro. keep grinding.
DJ Guayo 7:13 PM - 15 November, 2016
Not front here... I started with that b52 matrix... but walmart link is pretty funny.
Mr. Goodkat 9:26 PM - 15 November, 2016
the kid is 17, if its not a troll, cut him some slack
DJ Reflex 11:14 PM - 15 November, 2016
DJ Divergence - pay no mind to the creepy old bastards here. No need to justify yourself any longer. Gig is done, you had fun, got paid (a bit), and learned a lot. Move on from here!

You'll eventually have to loose the Walmart speakers though... preferably before your next gig. just saying'. :)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:48 PM - 15 November, 2016
Quote:

You'll eventually have to loose the Walmart speakers though... preferably before your next gig. just saying'. :)

Don't front, those speakers are sold out....
pdidy 12:17 AM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
the kid is 17, if its not a troll, cut him some slack

He's months away from being a grown man so he old enough for a lil teasing. 5 yrs from now once he's made some money im sure he will find this whole post hilarious. I think everybody understands 17 yr olds are gonna be broke by default so options are slim.
DJ Tecniq 12:18 AM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
No. Not even remotely close - especially in a school gym. pdidy, if he's around, can give you some advice on sound reinforcement.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Gemini RS-408 Active 2-way 8" PA system

These are just about as good as my studio monitors. Use that $100 to put to a new set a pair of EV's and you'll be set.
DJ Divergence 12:45 AM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
DJ Divergence - pay no mind to the creepy old bastards here. No need to justify yourself any longer. Gig is done, you had fun, got paid (a bit), and learned a lot. Move on from here!

Thanks man, I've needed to drop those speakers since day one. Not sure what brand is better though, QSC or EV?
DJ Tecniq 9:39 AM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks man, I've needed to drop those speakers since day one. Not sure what brand is better though, QSC or EV?
I may seem biased but I'm going to say QSC because of their 6 year warranty compared to the EV's but here's the deal EV's are more affordable and still great quality speakers. I mean for a set of 12" EV's and this while package is a great deal. Hell you may even find them cheaper on other sites. www.amazon.com
DJ Tecniq 9:39 AM - 16 November, 2016
Whole*
dj_soo 10:15 AM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Personal preference. The one thing EV has is a budget lineup that while quieter than the step up, they still sound pretty good - especially if you already have as sub.

EV has a 5 year warranty so it's no far off from QSC.

Other quality brands include RCF, JBL, and Yamaha.

QSC probably have the best rep for reliability, but I prefer the sound of other speakers myself. Best thing to do is go to a guitar centre or something and compare how they sound and pick the one you like the best.
DJ Tecniq 12:16 PM - 16 November, 2016
Their website says non-powered speakers 5 yrs, powered speakers only 3 yr warranty. Not sure why I would think powered would be most important...hrmmm
DJ Tecniq 12:18 PM - 16 November, 2016
Warranty info here. But if he wants to save a cpl hundred bucks I would get the EV's and get tote bags for them to protect them www.electrovoice.com
Taipanic 2:41 PM - 16 November, 2016
I don't care for the QSC sound but they are bulletproof.
I'd recommend the EV upgrade path:
ZLX tops, then EKX or ETX sub, then second sub, then EKX or ETX tops.
EVs have a good sound for recorded music and known quality for even their entry models.
You should really listen to as many speaker models as you can, to see if you prefer the sound/quality/features of another brand but you can't go wrong with this path.
DJ Guayo 2:49 PM - 16 November, 2016
Quote:
I don't care for the QSC sound but they are bulletproof.
I'd recommend the EV upgrade path:
ZLX tops, then EKX or ETX sub, then second sub, then EKX or ETX tops.
EVs have a good sound for recorded music and known quality for even their entry models.
You should really listen to as many speaker models as you can, to see if you prefer the sound/quality/features of another brand but you can't go wrong with this path.

I second that. I have a K10 that I use as a monitor and use it for standalone at times. Huge difference in sound between QSC and my RCFs.
DJ Divergence 4:05 AM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Personal preference. The one thing EV has is a budget lineup that while quieter than the step up, they still sound pretty good - especially if you already have as sub.

QSC probably have the best rep for reliability, but I prefer the sound of other speakers myself. Best thing to do is go to a guitar centre or something and compare how they sound and pick the one you like the best.

I've heard that the top tier speaker brand is a constant battle between QSC and EV. Like you said, I'm just going to have to hear them both and decide which one sounds better and consider how much I'm willing to spend. I figure as long as I go with either QSC or EV I should be fine. I'm shooting for a pair of 2-way 15" tops. If I had another 18" subwoofer I'd be going for 3-way 15" speakers. Thanks for all the advice everyone!
HighTopFade 5:36 AM - 17 November, 2016
EV ZLX-12P should work pretty good with your budget and current sub.
djdonny007 9:27 AM - 17 November, 2016

Dude there's ur suga momma right there. I would go over to her house asap to thank her personally and don't worry too much about ur gf cos she's gonna love u a lot more once u get that "experience ".
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:33 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:

Dude there's ur suga momma right there. I would go over to her house asap to thank her personally and don't worry too much about ur gf cos she's gonna love u a lot more once u get that "experience ".

Say that *ish again, he didn't hear you the first time....
Taipanic 3:15 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I've heard that the top tier speaker brand is a constant battle between QSC and EV. Like you said, I'm just going to have to hear them both and decide which one sounds better and consider how much I'm willing to spend. I figure as long as I go with either QSC or EV I should be fine. I'm shooting for a pair of 2-way 15" tops. If I had another 18" subwoofer I'd be going for 3-way 15" speakers. Thanks for all the advice everyone!

All the major brands have good speakers in the sub $1500 price range, which is where most DJ speakers reside. You really need to listen to each brand and model to see which sounds the best to you for the music you play.
My opinion:
EV, RCF - best sound to me for what i play (recorded DJ music)
JBL - flatter, more neutral sound, works best for live music, IMO
Yamaha - DSR series is a great sounding box, maybe best 12" cabinet in this price range.
QSC - Grandaddy of powered boxes, bulletproof reliability. Sounds decent, but no modern DSP. Sounds very harsh when pushed hard.
Any of the above, if used properly will be more than adequate for most gigs. Going above this level is usually more about sound quality and/or filling very large areas with nightclub level sound.
Mr. Goodkat 9:04 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Yamaha - DSR series is a great sounding box, maybe best 12" cabinet in this price range.
QSC - Grandaddy of powered boxes, bulletproof reliability. Sounds decent, but no modern DSP. Sounds very harsh when pushed hard.

spot on imo
DJ Divergence 10:41 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

All the major brands have good speakers in the sub $1500 price range, which is where most DJ speakers reside. You really need to listen to each brand and model to see which sounds the best to you for the music you play.
My opinion:
Any of the above, if used properly will be more than adequate for most gigs. Going above this level is usually more about sound quality and/or filling very large areas with nightclub level sound.

You know what your talking about. I'm going to check out EV models now. How are they're 15" tops. Or would 15" be too much? My other question is: how important is DSP?
DJ Divergence 10:41 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Say that *ish again, he didn't hear you the first time....

You all are crazy, she's too old for me.
pdidy 11:00 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:

Have you seen the movie "The Graduate" ? Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Divergence 11:12 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I watched the trailer just now. I see what your getting at ;)
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:45 PM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

See, some of us can recognize the potential of the situation...

Don't worry, when you're older, and say "If I knew then what I know now....."
DJ Divergence 2:04 AM - 18 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your a G.
Taipanic 3:03 PM - 18 November, 2016
Quote:

You know what your talking about. I'm going to check out EV models now. How are they're 15" tops. Or would 15" be too much? My other question is: how important is DSP?

I wouldn't buy new powered speakers without it. The DSP is custom tailored to give that particular box the best sound. You can make adjustments to suit your tastes and needs. It also adds a lot of protection to the speaker, keeping you from learning lessons by blowing ish up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:08 PM - 18 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Your a G.

Just trying to give you a memorable moment...

When you get older, you'll reflect...
DJ Divergence 2:05 AM - 19 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I wouldn't buy new powered speakers without it. The DSP is custom tailored to give that particular box the best sound. You can make adjustments to suit your tastes and needs. It also adds a lot of protection to the speaker, keeping you from learning lessons by blowing ish up.

I heard somewhere that it's better to get 12" tops with an 18" subwoofer. Something to do with frequency. I hope EV tops have a good DSP. EV tops also seem to be a lot cheaper than QSC.