Serato Software Feature Suggestions

What features would you like to see in Serato software?

Option to move the operational location of the _Serato_ folder

daveternier 4:37 PM - 26 October, 2016
I would love to move the operational location of the _Serato_ folder (located on a Mac computer at: Macintosh HD > Users > (your-user-name) > Music) to wherever I specify on a computer hard drive. Think of it as saving the Serato "library" to wherever I'd like on a computer, similar to saving a document anywhere I'd like (although I realize in Serato's case, many folders are also involved).

I store all of my music in a Dropbox folder on my computer hard drive(s), as many DJs do (thousands and thousands probably do). I love that this ensures my music library is the same on any of my 3 computers (2 MacBook Pro laptops and an in-office iMac). But my ultimate wish now, is if Serato would allow me to have it store all crate information in my Dropbox folder on my computer's hard drive too... then I could open Serato on any of my computers and not only would the music files be synced (as they already are), so would all crate information. THAT would be a MASSIVE game changer.

The example I might give (which readers here may or may not be familiar with) is that when I use Chauvet ShowXpress lighting software to run my DMX lighting setup, I am able to direct it (ShowXpress) to wherever I want on my computer to find my "lightshow" files (which consist of a series of folders and data files). I've now pointed it toward a folder I've made in Dropbox so that as I make changes and modifications to my lightship scenes (like I might to crates and such in Serato) those changes are automatically being saved to the Dropbox location I have set, therefore ensuring all of my computers have the same lightshow info. Opening up ShowXpress on any of my computers now provides the benefit of seeing the most recent show designs I've created, regardless of what computer they were actually created on.

I would love this functionality for Serato. This would be a massive game changer with multi-system DJ companies too (of which I am not, but it would be big news for them).

Currently, on a weekly basis, I drag the afore mentioned folder (_Serato_) into Dropbox manually, and then copy it onto my other computers by replacing the _Serato_ folder located in the Music folder on those computers (exact location as described earlier). This works just fine, except it's being done manually. If Serato had the ability to read the _Serato_ folder in another location on a hard drive, this process could be entirely automated (and amazing!).

Thank you for your consideration.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:11 PM - 26 October, 2016
I'm having a Deja Vu moment....
DJ Compiler 11:24 PM - 27 October, 2016
+1 I had the exact use case in mind
AddamXavier 4:38 PM - 3 July, 2017
I should have added a +1 to this way before. I use OneDrive and the _Serato_ folder is pretty much the only thing that isn't continually backed up to it because i can't move it. I even have my iTunes in there and will correctly sync between (Windows) machines.

I'm having troubles with my MBP's hard drive and the newset backup seems to be from last year. All my songs are safe with changes up to yesterday, but i can't do the same with the _Serato_ folder unless i manually copy it right now.

I would love love love this quality of life feature as it would make it where i don't have to worry when i last backed up the folder in the event of a hard drive or laptop failure. As far as I know, only BitTorrent Sync or a full hard drive backup is able to capture the folder in the current location without user action.
Marv Incredible 12:33 PM - 5 July, 2017
+1
PowerPowl_ 6:36 PM - 15 July, 2017
Sooooooo +1 !!

Don't understand, why Serato does not give DJs the ability to choose the location of their Serato-Library... there are tons of DJs that use portable drives for their music - it would be so convenient if a DJ could just plug in a portable drive, open Serato and choose to open it with a different "serato library".

Kind of like Apple does it with iTunes:
support.apple.com
DJ Compiler 9:18 PM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
Sooooooo +1 !!

Don't understand, why Serato does not give DJs the ability to choose the location of their Serato-Library... there are tons of DJs that use portable drives for their music - it would be so convenient if a DJ could just plug in a portable drive, open Serato and choose to open it with a different "serato library".

Kind of like Apple does it with iTunes:
support.apple.com

Serato creates a _Serato_ folder on each drive that's responsible for tracking that drive's music. So you can plug a drive that's been analyzed by Serato into any laptop and get all if it's songs, crates, smart crates, etc.
E Tha DJ 6:10 AM - 2 October, 2020
+1 on this. Right now I have a desktop PC and a laptop PC. My music files are stored on an external SSD that I move back and forth depending on which computer I'm using.

I use the desktop to prep my sets and preview new music. I use my laptop for live events and sometimes if I want to prep sets while I'm on the road.

When I make changes to my Serato library (adding new crates for example) on one computer the changes do not show up on the other computer. Even if I force a backup of the library by deleting the _Serato_Backup, the other computer loses crates, links to recently added music files, and any changes that were made.

I see three _Serato_ and _Serato_Backup_ folders. One on my PC, one on my laptop, and one on my external drive and it does not appear that the Serato DJ library on my external drive, which I use as my master drive, is syncing to my laptop's internal drive or my desktop's internal drive.

I would like to be able to tell Serato where my master drive is (external drive Z: or C:/Music for example) and when it closes down, it syncs the library to that location only. The multiple _Serato_ and _Serato_Backup_ on the external and internal drives opens the door to major syncing issues if you use multiple computers as I do.
nilre 11:28 AM - 2 October, 2020
+1
DJ Chris Disc 6:25 AM - 29 April, 2021
+1

Nice idea, but I believe this would be the major reason why not. To sync "_Serato_" folder you would need a 100% reliable internet connection while Serato is open. If your internet connection drops off (Say during the wedding introductions) that data is not visible to the program and the app will crash because it has lost where the info it needs is [God forbid a service interruption]. Just remember there are still many locations that many DJs don't have a broadband connection or we are DJing in an area that there is no public/private wifi available at a venue for you to access or cellular service to tether your phone to your computer. Plus the connection could be way too slow, more potential program lags and crashed could incur. Having the Serato folder on the local drives is still the most reliable and less problematic option I can see. There are many sync programs out there what could reliably copy the folder to multiple machines through your Home/Office network, but you would still need to turn on you performance machine to do so prior to any gig for updating your library.