Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

DJM S9 - Serato DJ - mix not recording issue

DJ Boi Skout 10:28 AM - 24 October, 2016
I noticed an issue, not sure if its with my s9 or a bug.. when I want to record.. channel 1/deck 1 audio works fine by itself..

Wen I set the recording to channel 2 the audio is fine with deck 2..

BUT, when i set the recording channel to 'mix' and want to record with the 2 decks no input is showing nor any audio is being recorded..

2days ago i was practicing n recording fine.. not sure wat happened or wat went off..

Any idea wat might be wrong?
DJ Tecniq 4:52 PM - 24 October, 2016
Which SDJ version? Have you tried a diff one?
DJ Boi Skout 6:11 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:

I'm using SDJ 1.9.3 and also my s9's firmware is the latest.. yesterday i faced the same issue, at first it didnt record, but then I restarted everything, laptop, mixer etc. shut down sdj, went into the utility setting, changed the usb hub from A to B etc. and I duno what I did that it workd and started recording BUT today, I duno y its not working and I did everything I can think of i.e. what I did yesterday switching everything on n off but nothing seems to work..

Just to bare in mind, channel 1 and 2 wen chosen separately to record from works fine, however its only wen I choose 'mix' in sdj that theres no signal at all.. and its not from the master knob nor, the gains..

Not sure wat seems to be the problem ;\
DJ Tecniq 9:10 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm using SDJ 1.9.3 and also my s9's firmware is the latest.. yesterday i faced the same issue, at first it didnt record, but then I restarted everything, laptop, mixer etc. shut down sdj, went into the utility setting, changed the usb hub from A to B etc. and I duno what I did that it workd and started recording BUT today, I duno y its not working and I did everything I can think of i.e. what I did yesterday switching everything on n off but nothing seems to work..

Just to bare in mind, channel 1 and 2 wen chosen separately to record from works fine, however its only wen I choose 'mix' in sdj that theres no signal at all.. and its not from the master knob nor, the gains..

yeah that is very wierd I recommend trying a diff version 1.9.3 has been causing issues for some.
DJ Boi Skout 9:22 PM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

yeah that is very wierd I recommend trying a diff version 1.9.3 has been causing issues for some.

U know in the past few hours I noticed that the audio is outputting from the channel output signals, and the master signal isnt showing at all no matter how high i turn the master knob and even wen i turn the master knob up or down it controls the 'volume' but no signal on the mixer ;/

actually leme try a different version thats the only thing I havent try yet, as I'm waiting for serato supports reply on this issue.
DJ Tecniq 12:04 AM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
U know in the past few hours I noticed that the audio is outputting from the channel output signals, and the master signal isnt showing at all no matter how high i turn the master knob and even wen i turn the master knob up or down it controls the 'volume' but no signal on the mixer ;/
Your mixer might be defective test all the outputs and make sure they all have the same volume. also check your channel settings on the front panel of the mixer maybe somethings wrong there.
DJ Boi Skout 6:47 AM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Your mixer might be defective test all the outputs and make sure they all have the same volume. also check your channel settings on the front panel of the mixer maybe somethings wrong there.

All outputs have the same 'volume' but the signal on the mixer only show channel 1 & 2 output, the master signal output isnt there no matter how high i turn the master knob..

also changing serato version to an older version didnt change anything..

I also changed mixers to my z2.. turned out had the same issue.. theres something wrong with my master signal output.. not sure what tho..
DJ Tecniq 2:27 PM - 25 October, 2016
Quote:
I also changed mixers to my z2.. turned out had the same issue.. theres something wrong with my master signal output.. not sure what tho..
okay now that's very odd you should be getting a signal reading from the master on both mixers so now I'm curious which master are you using on the mixer? Xlr or RCA? And do both not show a master signal reading? So you're explaining the LED master levels aren't showing?
DJ Tecniq 2:38 PM - 25 October, 2016
I mean if both mixers aren't showing a master output signal then I would try diff RCA or xlr cables if that does not correct it then both mixers have a defect. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just bad cables though. I would test everything to rule out other possible causes. Let me know how this goes.
DJ Boi Skout 5:00 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
I mean if both mixers aren't showing a master output signal then I would try diff RCA or xlr cables if that does not correct it then both mixers have a defect. I wouldn't be surprised if it's just bad cables though. I would test everything to rule out other possible causes. Let me know how this goes.

Ur right man, it was the fxckng cables.. I changed my xlrs and bam signal is on and managed to record both on my s9 and my z2 mapped to sdj..

however I have another issue if u might be aware of..

because i changed my input settings from cd/line to phono on my driver panel and my rca's are connected to phono at the back of my mixer, although there was signal showing on the record meter of channel 1 & 2 BUT, when trying to record some sound on channel 1, it recorded the tone and no music was recorded, same goes for channel 2..

and in this case unfortunately i am unable to record sound from channels separately.. so how do i go about that?
DJ Tecniq 7:41 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Ur right man, it was the fxckng cables.. I changed my xlrs and bam signal is on and managed to record both on my s9 and my z2 mapped to sdj..

however I have another issue if u might be aware of..

because i changed my input settings from cd/line to phono on my driver panel and my rca's are connected to phono at the back of my mixer, although there was signal showing on the record meter of channel 1 & 2 BUT, when trying to record some sound on channel 1, it recorded the tone and no music was recorded, same goes for channel 2..

and in this case unfortunately i am unable to record sound from channels separately.. so how do i go about that?
Simple in the S9 utility panel change them back to phono also make sure in your computer's sound settings the S9 is the default audio device👍🏼 I knew it had to be a cable cause it's unlikely both mixers were bad. Glad to help