Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

My external Hdd and Serato dont like each other!@!!

DJ Sparqz 8:29 PM - 22 October, 2016
Hey everyone,

Okay so I just picked up my brand new Apple Macbook Pro, which is working great. Yet I am having one problem though. My external hdd has tons of music it on it, and when I plug it in my macbook ,it sees it fine and so does Serato, but there is a little lock next to all my songs that are on my external drive. So when I set them up in create and get them where I want them. Its fine! But when I shutdown my macbook and turn it back on and load Serato, all my files are gone again and I have to try to re add them back to Serato!

Is it because they are locked mp3's, which I am assuming that because the external hard drive was formatted in windows? Can someone shed some light on this please... Thank you!
Dj.uno 2:27 AM - 23 October, 2016
There is a lock because the Files on the HDD are read only. Since the drive was formatted in windows, then i we can assume the Drive was formatted as NTFS. Mac Os can not edit files on the NTFS file system. For example, you can write files to and from the drive, but you can't edit that file while on the drivethen save it. To fix this, simply pull all of your stuff off of the drive, and format it using either Mac OS extended, or if you're going to use it on windows pc's; Ms-dos (FAT). From there you should be able to Edit all of your files, with cue points Etc.

You can use the Secure erase feature, but i would backup anyway just a precaution.

Hope this helps!
DJ Tecniq 5:20 PM - 23 October, 2016
Like he said the drive is formatted incorrectly for Mac. Use disk utility in Mac and reformat the drive. If you format to Mac journaled the drive will no longer work on Windows machines it will be Mac only. So maybe Exfat or Fat32 if you want to still use the drive for both machines. Backup all your data onto another drive or USB storage device. The drive will have to be wiped out in order to reformat. Once reformatted put the files back on and everything should be fine.
DJ Tecniq 5:28 PM - 23 October, 2016
Here's a tutorial on how to format the drive. I would recommend EXFAT this way it can work with both platforms Windows/Mac. youtu.be
DJ Sparqz 7:16 PM - 23 October, 2016
Thanks for the info Tecniq, but my main problems is, is that I can't get serato to see mp3 files when I try to drag and drop them to the all audio. Am I doing something wrong?
DJ Tecniq 7:20 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Thanks for the info Tecniq, but my main problems is, is that I can't get serato to see mp3 files when I try to drag and drop them to the all audio. Am I doing something wrong?
Because the drive is in a different format Serato can't see them so I don't think you'll have any luck unless you reformat the drive to a diff format like we have explained to you.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:01 PM - 24 October, 2016
Get a FAT32 drive and back up all the content to it before you format the drive in question.

You will need another external HD to complete the migration.

Copy all content of your current drive to the second one, format the original one to Mac and transfer your files back.
DJ Sparqz 9:18 PM - 24 October, 2016
Thank you! I think I have resolved my problem.

Basically did what you stated.