Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Vestax VCI-300 "Error: Failed to connect Audio"

3:51 AM - 22 October, 2016
Hi, i'm having a issues connecting my controller to a Windows PC. I boot Serato DJ 1.9.3 and then i connect my Vestax VCI-300, at this point all the lights flash from the controller and i then see the jog wheels pop up for a split second and they go away followed by an error at the bottom left corner. "Error: Failed to Connect Audio"
I have been trying to fix this issue for about 3 hours today and no success, can someone please help me?

Specs:
Windows 7 (64 bit)
P7P55d-pro
Intel Core i5 750
8GB RAM
AMD Radeon 5850
Hanginon 12:41 PM - 22 October, 2016
Are you using the USB port for power, or do you have it in the external power supply mode?
5:59 PM - 22 October, 2016
I'm using USB for power.
Hanginon 6:55 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
I'm using USB for power.

I have had the exact same problem with a Vestax Typhoon when using USB 2.0 ports (which are current limited to 500 ma) - try using external power, or use a USB 3.0 port if your laptop has one.
7:05 PM - 22 October, 2016
Ok, i'll have to buy an adapter for it. I still find it pretty odd though, because i downloaded VirtualDJ trial version and my controller seems to connect flawlessly.
Hanginon 8:01 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:
Ok, i'll have to buy an adapter for it. I still find it pretty odd though, because i downloaded VirtualDJ trial version and my controller seems to connect flawlessly.

My Typhoon did the same thing. It was only a problem on Serato with USB only power - it worked fine on Traktor and Cross DJ that way.

You don't have walwarts around the house with a similar (or slightly lower) power output you can try temporarily? I've run mine on a 6 volt 600 ma one, works fine - just make sure the center pin is positive (+).
1:33 AM - 23 October, 2016
I'm in no rush, i just bought the right power supply for the VCI-300. I'll post an update when I receive it in the mail next week. Thanks for the suggestion, hopefully this works!
reif99 10:56 AM - 23 October, 2016
Make sure your VCI300 is not the default sound device for windows. Check in the Windows control panel.
Hanginon 1:37 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:
Make sure your VCI300 is not the default sound device for windows. Check in the Windows control panel.

Per Serato -

"The Vestax VCI-300 is a class compliant USB plug and play device for both
Mac and Windows and does not require any further driver installation."

The VCI-300 was never originally intended for software other than ITCH, so as far as I know, a dedicated Windows Driver has never been written for it. While VDJ might have a mapping for the VCI-300, I highly suspect he used ASIO4ALL to get the audio working, but that's for another day.
11:22 PM - 26 October, 2016
I received the new power supply today in the mail, I connected the VCI-300 and i kept getting the same results.. "Error: Failed to Connect Audio" message on bottom left corner.

-I'm using ASIO4ALLv2 not sure if that may be the culprit?
-my default sound device is VIA High Definition Audio Speakers
reif99 11:59 PM - 26 October, 2016
By any chance do u have a Bose Bluetooth sound dock or have ever paired your windows PC with a Bluetooth sound accessory?

Go to windows device manager, does it show old Bluetooth audio devices that are currently not connected to your PC? I had a issue with a Pioneer DJM900NXS that would not connect to Serato DJ (it was working perfectly with other DJ software & Windows).

I tried making sure the DJM was not the default windows sound device. But I kept seeing a "Bose Bluetooth sound dock" in windows device manager listed as a audio device next to my default sound card and the DJM900, that would not go away, no matter how many times I tried to delete or remove it.

My PC had been connected to the Bose only once at a friends party. I ended up having to turn Bluetooth off on my PC, then going back to device manager and deleting it. Once it was gone for good, then my DJM900 resumed working perfectly with Serato DJ.

I understand it's a real long shot that u might be having the same issue that I had, but hopefully it helps you or someone else out with hardware connection issues to Serato DJ
Hanginon 1:13 AM - 27 October, 2016
Quote:
I received the new power supply today in the mail, I connected the VCI-300 and i kept getting the same results.. "Error: Failed to Connect Audio" message on bottom left corner.

-I'm using ASIO4ALLv2 not sure if that may be the culprit?
-my default sound device is VIA High Definition Audio Speakers

You moved the switch in the back of the controller to the "Adaptor" position?
Hanginon 8:13 PM - 27 October, 2016
With the computer off, connect USB cable, connect external power to controller and make sure the controller is on.

Now turn on the PC.

When PC is finished booting, now start Serato.

What happens?
12:38 AM - 28 October, 2016
reif99, I haven't connected any BluTooth devices to my computer but thanks for the suggestion.

Hanginon, I tried your advice. Unfortunately i keep getting the same error. (my controller switch is in the Adaptor position. I also tried toggling between the PC and THRU ON switch with no results)
Hanginon 2:36 AM - 28 October, 2016
Wow. There was a known issue with original VCI-300 (I don't know if yours is a MK1 or MKII) and one of the version's of ITCH - it corrupted the firmware. A real long shot, but this was the fix -

serato.com

Messing with the firmware is a last resort - hopefully someone has a better idea.
3:26 AM - 28 October, 2016
It was a long shot, and still no luck... I tried the steps 3 times, the firmware installs correctly and i restart the controller, boot up Serato DJ, keep getting the same Error message.
cubarodrigo 6:01 AM - 10 June, 2017
I kept getting this error message as well. I was finally able to get it to work by going to the Recording tab of the Sound Control Panel and disabling the VCI-300.
Michael R. 4:26 PM - 30 October, 2017
Quote:

That worked for me!!
It seems there is a conflict between Serato DJ and Windows regarding sound output...
As soon as I selected my PC's sound card as the default sound output, Serato DJ recognized my VCI-300 instantly!

Thanks reif99!!!!