DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Need help on a beginner DJ controller for Serato!

bobby_still 8:52 PM - 21 October, 2016
I started out on Mixxx and am now very interested in making Serato my DJ software of choice. I've been playing with the intro/lite version and love how it feels and its stability, but obviously I need an "all in one" controller.

I have it narrowed down to the Numark Mixtrack Pro 3 and the Pioneer DDJ-SB2. I know these are two "common" Serato intro controllers, are similarly priced, and within my budget (I really can't afford much more esp bc I have to also get full version of Serato DJ). I was reading about their primary differences here equipboard.com , but the choice is still tough! I'm not really concerned about buying into "the Pioneer brand" so that's not an issue. Are the trim knobs on the SB2 game changers? I'm new to this, so how often do you more experienced DJs use the trim knobs? Everyone laments they're not there on the Mixtrack... but how much are the used actually lol.

Thanks in advance!
Logisticalstyles 2:56 PM - 22 October, 2016
I have an SB2 and it gets the job done for me. I use it for small gigs and sports bar gigs where they just need me to play some music. I've never used the Mixtrack so I can't compare the two. I do use the trim knobs when I play on the SB2. The SB2 does have some features that I just don't use. The Filter dad is a perfect example. I never turn that on at a gig. I've tried it at home and it just seems a bit useless to me. If I had a chance to doit over again I would have just an SR. In fact I may end up upgrading to the SR.
bobby_still 4:13 PM - 24 October, 2016
Interesting, thanks. I'm pretty new to this so sorry for the n00b question, but how frequently do you use the trim knobs in a performance? Is it something you are riding the whole time?
Logisticalstyles 4:47 PM - 24 October, 2016
I don't ride the trim knobs but I do adjust them according to the track that I'm playing. If a song is too low then I use the gain knob to boost it. I also use the EQ knobs a lot during my transitions.

*In my original comment above I meant Filter Fade, not Filter dad.
Vinyl R 11:06 PM - 25 October, 2016
Wait till January and nick a cheap Pioneer ddj sx2 on ebay . Happy bidding!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:13 AM - 26 October, 2016
Dont get either (MTP or SB2) check the Denon MC 4000.

Better sound and build quality 👍
Lou Dog 4:58 AM - 26 October, 2016
Yea man I agree. MC4000 is a way better controller. I have one and it's def well built and has all the features and then some you'll need as a beginner. XLR out and booth out for the win. You'll still need to buy SDJ as the MC4000 is only upgrade ready.

I would highly advise never buying a controller without gain/trim nobs. I use my gains all the time and without them would be a nightmare for me personally. I always keep my line faders all the way up. So if a track is too quiet your pretty much screwed unless you tweak the master. There's some workarounds but don't even go there man.
577er 2:21 PM - 26 October, 2016
DDJ SB2 over the Mixtrack for sure. Trim knobs aka gain pots are one of those things that set good gear apart of junk. No professional (non rotary) DJ mixer is lacking gain pots. They allow you to scale tracks to the same "size" as they enter the mixer.