DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Numark Controller Mixer Red Lining?!?!

DJEMZY_ 6:54 PM - 21 October, 2016
Whenever I DJ my mixer will always tend to red line. The volume isn't even that loud and it will still red line. I have tried turning down the master output controller and even when it is low, it will still red line. Does anyone have any suggestions to why?
Thanks!
Papa Midnight 8:05 PM - 21 October, 2016
Lower your mixer gain, and lower the track gain.
Detroitbootybass 8:19 PM - 21 October, 2016
First, the individual channel gains need to be set up properly so they aren't clipping. Then you can turn up the main mixer/controller gain to the desired level. If it it clipping at that point, then you need to further turn down the channel gains.
DJEMZY_ 5:11 PM - 29 October, 2016
Quote:
First, the individual channel gains need to be set up properly so they aren't clipping. Then you can turn up the main mixer/controller gain to the desired level. If it it clippings at that point, then you need to further turn down the channel gains.

I have tried this but is still clipping??
Detroitbootybass 5:44 PM - 29 October, 2016
Keep turning the gains down. I imagine that, at some point, the clipping will subside (provided the unit isn't defective).

What controller are you using?
DJEMZY_ 5:57 PM - 29 October, 2016
Alright thanks I will give them a go. I am using the Numark controller pro 3 with serato.
Detroitbootybass 8:00 PM - 29 October, 2016
Ok... I see there are no channel gains (just a master gain).

Make sure you aren't clipping/redlining within the Serato software.
DJEMZY_ 8:48 PM - 29 October, 2016
Okay how would I check this? I am a beginner DJ just learning the basics
Detroitbootybass 10:00 PM - 29 October, 2016
Are you using Serato DJ for your software program?
Detroitbootybass 10:03 PM - 29 October, 2016
Here is a short primer about gain settings: support.serato.com

It was written during the Scratch Live days, but it pretty much all still applies for Serato DJ.
DJEMZY_ 10:19 PM - 29 October, 2016
Yes I am using serato DJ and thank you!
Detroitbootybass 4:31 PM - 30 October, 2016
Make sure the meters in Serato DJ aren't clipping (it should be at the top of your computer screen). If it is peaking into the red, then turn down the circular gain 'knob' just to the left of the meters.
Serato, Support
Nathaniel T 1:03 AM - 3 November, 2016
Hey DJEMZY_,

I would recommend getting in touch with Serato Support here - support.serato.com - so that we can look into this further.

Cheers.