Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Clean install of Sierra

Dj Stylz-1 8:10 PM - 14 October, 2016
Hey guys,

I know a clean install of SIERRA would be best but I'm a little at a loss how to do it.

Will it give me that option when I download the update? I thought unwound ask before I did anything.

Thanks in advanced
popnwave 8:20 PM - 14 October, 2016
Get a 16GB thumb drive and google how to make a OS X bootable USB drive.
Cham 8:22 PM - 14 October, 2016
osxdaily.com Tells you how to do it.

I have another question on the same topic. If I use time machine and backs up my stuff, then format the computer and makes a clean install of Sierra. Will I blow it by restoring files from Time machine? Like is the install not clean anymore then?
popnwave 8:25 PM - 14 October, 2016
Quote:
osxdaily.com Tells you how to do it.

I have another question on the same topic. If I use time machine and backs up my stuff, then format the computer and makes a clean install of Sierra. Will I blow it by restoring files from Time machine? Like is the install not clean anymore then?

System files should still be fresh, it's just backing up your apps and restoring them.

PERSONALLY - I prefer a true clean install when I upgrade an OS. My Serato machine has less than 20 apps on it anyway so it takes me less than an hour to be back up and running after an OS install.
DJ Tecniq 10:55 PM - 14 October, 2016
Watchwww.youtube.com

I recommend using a usb 3.0 drive as it will take quite awhile with a 2.0 drive. You're welcome!
Dj Stylz-1 11:47 PM - 17 October, 2016
Thanks guys. I will try this!
DJ Tecniq 12:16 AM - 18 October, 2016
Quote:
Thanks guys. I will try this!
of course be sure to backup all your data first cause a clean install will wipe everything out. Good luck
Dj Stylz-1 12:24 AM - 18 October, 2016
Absolutely. I have all of my music on an external drive so I think I'm good there. I only use my computer for serato. But thanks for heads up!
Dj Stylz-1 4:33 AM - 18 October, 2016
Just completed it. No problems at all. I forgot to erase my HD before I installed Sierra, the first time. Simply, did it again. Now to test Serato/Sierra for 5 hours straight. Thanks again for the help.
DJ Tecniq 5:26 AM - 18 October, 2016
Quote:
Just completed it. No problems at all. I forgot to erase my HD before I installed Sierra, the first time. Simply, did it again. Now to test Serato/Sierra for 5 hours straight. Thanks again for the help.
Sure let us all know how Sierra holds up I'm not so quick to update just not safe for a working dj.
Dj Stylz-1 4:58 PM - 19 October, 2016
Just finished a 3 hours session, running samples, beat juggling, instant doubles and effects. Everything seems to be ok. I'll know more this weekend when I play out with it. One thing I did notice however, is that the waveforms seem to stutter now. It doesn't affect the sound, however, visually, it's a bit annoying. I get the feeling that it will crash. I tried it without my sl3 box plugged in and I still get the same thing.

I tried changing the maximum screen updates and that did not help.

Anyone else experiencing this?

MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB Ram
Sierra with Serato 1.9.3
popnwave 6:22 PM - 19 October, 2016
I have the same thing, doesn't seem to be anything but a visual annoyance.
Dj Stylz-1 6:30 PM - 19 October, 2016
You didn't have the issue before either right ?
DJ Tecniq 8:23 PM - 19 October, 2016
Quote:
MacBook Pro (Mid 2014)
2.2 GHz Intel Core i7
16GB Ram
Sierra with Serato 1.9.3
Same laptop I got bro with NVIDEA card and 512 gig flash storage thing is a beast but thanks for the update I'm using Yosemite with your same laptop as for the waveforms stuttering it's been an issue on serato's part and they know this however 1.9.2 for me is slightly smoother but still there's a bit of a lag I hardly notice.
DJ Tecniq 8:24 PM - 19 October, 2016
But I'll be staying away from Sierra I don't need the waveforms laggish than they already are.
Dj Stylz-1 8:31 PM - 19 October, 2016
Well I guess I'm at point of no return! I'll do some more testing to see if it causes any crashes. If it's known but still supported I would trust that I'll be fine. I'll make sure my backup is ready! Hope they fix it soon.

Yeah the laptop is sick. I was rocking an early 2000 one before that.
DJ Tecniq 8:39 PM - 19 October, 2016
Quote:
Well I guess I'm at point of no return! I'll do some more testing to see if it causes any crashes. If it's known but still supported I would trust that I'll be fine. I'll make sure my backup is ready! Hope they fix it soon.

Yeah the laptop is sick. I was rocking an early 2000 one before that.
If you're not comfortable with Sierra why not just do a clean install of Yosemite? Of course you'll have to backup all your data first but there is a solution. My Mac came with Yosemite I tried to upgrade to El Capitan and it fucked up my OS X the update froze and half my apps and safari kept crashing with code errors it was fucking hell lol. Tried to repair no luck so just said fuck it and did a clean install of Yosemite and it's solid now.
Dj Stylz-1 2:56 PM - 24 October, 2016
Hey guys,

Just wanted to give you an update. I ended up keeping Sierra and played out with it this weekend. Played for 6.5 hours, without any issues. I didn't really notice the stuttering however I had a few drinks lol. I also noticed that the stuttering doesn't happen on all songs.

Overall excellent update for me. I'll still test it this week.