Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Can I use a DDJ *JUST* as a midi controller, with an SL2?

djtoast 1:34 PM - 6 October, 2016
Hiya. Have looked around for an answer to this but with no luck.

I wanna use possibly a DDJ SB2 (or i *might* even get an SR) but JUST as a midi controller to give me a ton of extra buttons / faders, and continue to use my existing technics (or CDJ) & DJM & SL2 setup for the actual transport and sound functions!

Sort of like adding an SP1 to get the hot cues / loops etc, but for example I also want faders for when I run serato video, hence not wanting to just get an SP1... BUT i presume as soon as i connect an SB / SR or whatever, serato will try to use that as it's intended, as a sound card etc. I could *probably* avoid that by using SSL instead of SDJ i suppose...? (I actually still kinda prefer SSL... so shoot me...) Or maybe I can just not install the drivers for the controller, and map it like any normal midi controller? Or there's perhaps some other solution I just haven't thought of? Any help or experience gratefully received :)
WileECoyote 2:13 PM - 6 October, 2016
Would DVS work as an option for you? The Pioneer DDJ-SX2 can connect to turntables/CDJs.
djtoast 9:57 PM - 6 October, 2016
The clubs I work in all have e.g. Technics, CDJ 2000s and DJM 850 / 900 etc. So that aspect is covered... I suppose I could put their mixer to one side and use my own controller instead but just financially it seems unnecessary — really I just want kinda glorified dicers: some extra buttons and a couple of faders. I'm currently using a Behringer Studio 2A which was intended as a sound card but I don't use it that way, it's ONLY a midi controller, with an SL2 box connecting it to the mixer and decks. It has a few minor niggles though (well it was under a hundred bucks, so...) So i really want something to replace that which is a bit higher up the food chain so to speak. I just wanna run into a situation where if I connect both an SL2 AND a pioneer controller, that SDJ gets confused and goes wrong or whatever.

Make any sense?
Code:E 6:30 AM - 7 October, 2016
I have a totally different reason for also wanting to know this. I would love to use my SL4 with my DDJ-SZ. But I'm nearly 1000000% sure you can do this. You can only use ONE serato (main) Device at a time. So I can't use 2 SL2 to make an SL4, You cant use VCI 300 and a DDJ unit. though back in itch it was possible. But not anymore I'm pretty sure.