DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

ScratchLive + SL1 + new Mac OS Sierra

soulsides 10:41 PM - 23 September, 2016
Just wanted to let folks know that I just tested this out after installing the new Mac OS called Sierra (10.12).

NOTE: I had to dump the kext file and reinstall SL 2.5 using this workaround (serato.com) BUT after reinstall, I can confirm, I did get it to work.

I do not have a TTM 57SL and therefore, cannot test with that.
soulsides 10:42 PM - 23 September, 2016
To be clear: I got ScratchLive 2.5 to work with an original SL1 box on a laptop with OSX 10.12 (Sierra) installed. I don't have any other Serato hardware to test with so your mileage may very with any other hardware attempt.
bwizard 6:35 PM - 24 September, 2016
Very interested in if Scratch Live works with Sierra OSX. I will try this workaround later but with a SL4 and see if it works for me El Cap' update was depressing so I hope this works. I don't have a fancy Rane mixer so I will tell you if that works as well.
soulsides 11:55 PM - 26 September, 2016
Quote:
Very interested in if Scratch Live works with Sierra OSX. I will try this workaround later but with a SL4 and see if it works for me El Cap' update was depressing so I hope this works. I don't have a fancy Rane mixer so I will tell you if that works as well.

My guess is that if you can't get it to run initially, you'll need to do the reinstall workaround. You definitely cannot just (re)install ScratchLive 2.5 in Sierra without first following the workaround directions. Without that, you'll get the same error that El Capitan users have found.

I have seen some people have success getting ScratchLive to run by first running Serato DJ and plugging your SL4 in while that's up and THEN trying to see if ScratchLive works afterwards.
nrgspin1 3:35 AM - 18 October, 2016
So i have we officially confirmed Scratch Live 2.5 runs well on Sierra?

RANE 62
djdonandre 1:58 AM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
To be clear: I got ScratchLive 2.5 to work with an original SL1 box on a laptop with OSX 10.12 (Sierra) installed. I don't have any other Serato hardware to test with so your mileage may very with any other hardware attempt.

I got the same set up, with SL1 and Sierra, but i can't install ScratchLive 2.5 on Sierra. How you did it ?
DJ G-Rebel 8:47 AM - 17 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I got the same set up, with SL1 and Sierra, but i can't install ScratchLive 2.5 on Sierra. How you did it ?

It worked with this workaround that i got from edenterrorist.

This Fix/Workaround might work for you guys...

After I deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext and got my 57SL working with Scratch Live on El Capitan I then decided to install all the other drivers that come with the package and somehow screwed my whole workaround up and for some reason I found I couldn't fresh reinstall Scratch Live so...

1.) Download Scratch Live again.
2.) Restart your Mac holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
3.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
4.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil disable

5.) Press Enter/Return. This turns off the part of SIP that will let you run a fresh Scratch Live install again.
6.) Type reboot and press Enter/Return to restart your Mac.
7.) After the restart you can install Scratch Live.

NOW IMPORTANT

8.) Restart again once you install holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
9.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
10.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil enable

11.) Press Enter/Return. This turns back on the part of SIP you disabled temporarily.

11a.) I can't remember if I then deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext again from Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions or just moved on to step 12.

12.) Turn on your 57SL and plug in the USB.
13.) Launch Scratch Live and hopefully you're back in action like I was, I'll update if this method stops working at some point.

Cheers Tim on a...

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)
2.7 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3
Running OSX El Capitan - Version 10.11.1
tariq_switch 4:31 PM - 3 January, 2017
I have the new MacBook Pro 2016 and having no issues using SSL with a SL1 Box which came straight on to the machine from my time machine backup.
Ke_Djs 12:07 AM - 4 January, 2017
Hey Just tried this today with the fix by @edenterrorist.

I have a Rane 57SL and can confirm successfully running Scratch Live 2.5.
My computer configuration is:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Running macOS Sierra - Version 10.12.2
DJMark 2:21 AM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
I have the new MacBook Pro 2016 and having no issues using SSL with a SL1 Box which came straight on to the machine from my time machine backup.

Which exact MacBook Pro configuration do you have?
tariq_switch 1:38 PM - 4 January, 2017
DJMark i have a;

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) w/ Touchbar
16GB Ram
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
1TB SSD

Running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2
DJMark 9:21 PM - 4 January, 2017
Quote:
DJMark i have a;

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) w/ Touchbar
16GB Ram
3.1 GHz Intel Core i5
1TB SSD

Running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.2

Cool, good to know. It will be interesting to hear how other devices besides the SL-1 work with Scratch Live on the new MBP hardware.
Crackpipe 6:25 PM - 6 January, 2017
I'm waiting to hear how SSL 2.5 w/ SL3 hardware works with Sierra.
gk1 7:16 PM - 8 January, 2017
i need help with this. got rane tom 57 mark 1, using mac book running serria, try download scratch live got 2.4.3 to run, but have NOT plugged in ttm57 mixer yet, what is the workaround to get this to work, thanks anyone
bonez 5:54 PM - 13 January, 2017
working...perfect
with sl
Crackpipe 8:35 PM - 13 January, 2017
which SL?

SL1
SL2
SL3
SL4
DJMark 1:07 AM - 15 January, 2017
Quote:
which SL?

SL1
SL2
SL3
SL4

TTM57SL
hugo81 4:12 AM - 21 January, 2017
I have the same set up, with SL1 and Sierra, and was able to install ScratchLive 2.5 with the the fix by @edenterrorist but now when I open ScratchLive it crashes after I open it (kicks me right out). Has anyone had that issue and figured out a solution? Thanks
DJ Herbert Holler 4:22 PM - 21 January, 2017
Sorry to ask a question that may have been answered, but I'd like to know if SSL 2.5 will work on Sierra with SL4 hardware. I haven't grown accustomed to Serato DJ yet, and had issues with EL Capitain, so I've been on Mavericks OS for a minute. Thank you for your time and attention, guys.
DJ Ch@vez 12:40 AM - 21 February, 2017
Just updated to Sierra and after doing the workaround provided by edenterrorist was able to get scratch live working. I have a Mac and Rane 57. Thank you everyone for the help!
djmessie 12:23 AM - 4 March, 2017
Does anyone have a working Mac OS Sierra with Serato Scratch Live working while using a Cane TTM57SL Mixer?
djmessie 12:25 AM - 4 March, 2017
Quote:
Hey Just tried this today with the fix by @edenterrorist.

I have a Rane 57SL and can confirm successfully running Scratch Live 2.5.
My computer configuration is:

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Late 2013)
2 GHz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Running macOS Sierra - Version 10.12.2

where is the fix. I would like to try it
Brian90X 2:00 AM - 14 April, 2017
Just installed Mac OS Sierra from Yosemite on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. SL1 with SSL 2.5 worked without the workaround in the short test. More to follow. Worked the same way on El Cap, but Sierra looks more promising after finding this thread.
Culprit 8:07 PM - 14 April, 2017
Quote:
Just installed Mac OS Sierra from Yosemite on a Mid 2015 MacBook Pro. SL1 with SSL 2.5 worked without the workaround in the short test. More to follow. Worked the same way on El Cap, but Sierra looks more promising after finding this thread.

You need to restart your computer and try again. Once you restart it shouldn't work anymore. You need to remove rootless protection to get it working. You can google the fix it's simple to implement I've done many osx machines successfully
deejayfatcat 9:37 PM - 14 April, 2017
Is it odd that my sl1 and ssl work fine on a mid '12 MBP Sierra with no fix or changes?
Culprit 12:24 AM - 15 April, 2017
Quote:
Is it odd that my sl1 and ssl work fine on a mid '12 MBP Sierra with no fix or changes?

Very
Alcane 11:37 AM - 19 April, 2017
I've recently updated from Mavericks to Sierra and keen to keep using SL over SDJ.

The 'fix' process isn't clear from this thread, can anyone please elaborate what I should be doing to ensure SL works fine?

I'm running a mid-2014 Macbook Pro 15" with a SL3 box.

Any advice is much appreciated.
Culprit 4:38 PM - 19 April, 2017
The instructions are pretty clear at the top. Remove rootless protection. It's been covered over and over again. Hit that Google search.
DJ Benny B NYC 11:21 PM - 27 April, 2017
Hi,

Thanks to Soulsides and Edenterrorist for this great fix. I just tried it with a new Mac that is running Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4. Scratch Live 2.5 worked great with my SL1, but not with my Rane TTM 57SL. And I followed the instructions to the letter.

Any ideas or advice?
K Double 1:04 AM - 5 May, 2017
Another SL1 box with Scratch Live working. Thanks to Soulsides and Edenterrorist for sharing!
bonez 8:49 PM - 18 May, 2017
sl1 but had to do some tweeks and stuff to get it work fully
DJ Benny B NYC 5:30 PM - 30 May, 2017
Just did 2 weddings with the fix on an SL1. Let me know if anyone has a fix for the 57 with current Sierra. Thanks.
Dj JMar 2:46 AM - 5 June, 2017
Disable rootfile. type csrutil disable in utilities terminal. Scratch live works fine in Searra 10.12.5. Search disable root file
Dj JMar 2:47 AM - 5 June, 2017
Disable rootfile. type csrutil disable in utilities terminal. Scratch live works fine in Sierra 10.12.5. Search disable root file
Dj JMar 2:48 AM - 5 June, 2017
Disable rootfile. type csrutil disable in utilities terminal. Scratch live works fine with ttm57 in Searra 10.12.5. Search disable root file
DJ Damione 4:17 PM - 18 June, 2017
Hi,

I did the work around and now my left deck stops playing after about 10 to 12 minutes?

Any suggestions?
Culprit 6:46 PM - 18 June, 2017
Quote:
Hi,

I did the work around and now my left deck stops playing after about 10 to 12 minutes?

Any suggestions?

Not sure, shouldn't affect the decks. Reinstall SSL
DJ Damione 8:22 PM - 20 June, 2017
My left deck just stops after some time with a SL4 box as well as a TTM57SL. I will try a reinstall and see what happens.
D710 8:04 PM - 30 June, 2017
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.5 and I want to upgrade to Sierra but I'm afraid my Scratch Live 2.5 may not work properly. I am running the Rane 62 mixer. Any suggestions?
Culprit 9:02 PM - 30 June, 2017
yeah, dont upgrade
D710 9:04 PM - 30 June, 2017
Culprit can u elaborate?
Coldfuture 9:53 PM - 30 June, 2017
I just want to report here that I have SL 2.5 running on a 2013 macbook pro, with a Rane SL-1 connected and zero issues.

The key here, for me, anyway, was to download the legacy java library from Apple.

support.apple.com

This not only enabled all the old Adobe CS5 suite I have running, but it seemed to avoid any of those kext file workarounds I read here. The only weird thing it did, was the SL installer said it failed on one run, but it still launched after I plugged in the SL-1.

I can't really explain the technology here, but its clear that the java runtime code avoids crashing old software in Sierra.
Culprit 4:17 AM - 1 July, 2017
Quote:
Culprit can u elaborate?

Elaborate what?
pdidy 8:53 AM - 1 July, 2017
Quote:
I have a 2010 MacBook Pro with OS X 10.8.5 and I want to upgrade to Sierra but I'm afraid my Scratch Live 2.5 may not work properly. I am running the Rane 62 mixer. Any suggestions?

Quote:
yeah, dont upgrade

Quote:
Culprit can u elaborate?

Culprit is correct, dont update to Sierra if you want you system to continue working as it is today. Scratch Live 2.5 is not supported by sierra. workarounds do exist but i dont recommend them.
D710 10:13 AM - 1 July, 2017
Ok thanks
C-Duce 12:45 PM - 8 July, 2017
Just had a new SSD hard drive installed into my MacBook Pro 10', running lightning fast now. Couldn't go back to Mavericks so runnin' latest Sierra. Scratch Live seems to work fine with my TTM-57SL. One thing I've noticed is randomly there's a short tiny skip in the audio. Any one else experiencing this?? Would hate to upgrade to a new mixer for this small problem, because everything else works great. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!
pdidy 7:02 PM - 8 July, 2017
Quote:
Just had a new SSD hard drive installed into my MacBook Pro 10', running lightning fast now. Couldn't go back to Mavericks so runnin' latest Sierra. Scratch Live seems to work fine with my TTM-57SL.

Until you crash at the worst time possible in the middle of a big event. When that day comes don't forget YOU are the only one to blame :) (not serato, rane or mac)
Alcane 1:17 PM - 11 July, 2017
I upgraded my OSX from Mavericks to Sierra about 3 months ago. Scratch Live still works flawlessly after the update. I haven't updated the drivers for the Rane box, but will probably need to do soon as I'm lacking the soundcard functionality outside of normal Serato use.
I still prefer to use Scratch Live over Serato DJ as I prefer the colours of the former's UI.

My current setup is:

SL3 box
15" Macbook Pro Retina 2014
litothekid 4:29 PM - 14 July, 2017
I've just got my new macbook pro 13" (no usb ports) running Sierra 10.12.5.
I own a SL1 box.
I've installed Scratch Live 2.5 with the workaround and it works in Analyzing files and setting cue points, when I connect the SL1 box trough an adapter thunderbolt/usb (dodocool) the track just plays distorted and audio comes and goes repeatedly, both in internal and relative mode.

Anybody has overcome this yet?

Please Help!
djwhatNYC 7:31 PM - 7 August, 2017
I have a question, so I recently updated my iOS to Sierra and Scratch Live worked with my TTM 57 and a SL2 box. Since i updated my ios I was getting a window telling me to update the Javascript and so i did not knowing exactly what it was for and now Scratch Live does not work. Has anyone experienced this and how do I fix this issue???
Culprit 8:04 PM - 7 August, 2017
Quote:
I have a question, so I recently updated my iOS to Sierra and Scratch Live worked with my TTM 57 and a SL2 box. Since i updated my ios I was getting a window telling me to update the Javascript and so i did not knowing exactly what it was for and now Scratch Live does not work. Has anyone experienced this and how do I fix this issue???

Question, did you even read through this thread?
Culprit 8:06 PM - 7 August, 2017
Going to speak for alot of us veterans here on the Serato forums and say

Guys please, stop being lazy. Were not going to post the same answers over and over and over again because your too lazy to ready through the threads to obtain said information thats been relayed over and over again.
djsleeper.com 6:14 AM - 26 August, 2017
Hey fam, I just ran SL 2.5 through a SL1 box!

On Sierra! It feels magical. I almost forgot how to plug in a SL box...

I'm on OSX Sierra 10.12.6
Serato DJ 1.9.6

Didn't have to do any of the workarounds... praying it stays that way
Manuel23 12:59 AM - 5 September, 2017
Please help! My serato scratch live 2.5.0 won't get connected to hardware. I have a mac running mac0S sierra 10.12.6 with range ttm 57sl. Please help. What can I do to get it back running.
Culprit 2:51 AM - 5 September, 2017
For starters you can read the thread
monchi 4:50 AM - 5 September, 2017
Do not pass 10.9.5 , do not collect $200 . ;)
d:raf 5:42 PM - 5 September, 2017
I recently got tired of getting errors from certain web pages due to them not supporting my OS anymore, so I reluctantly switched from Mtn. Lion to Sierra. However, I did it the "wrong" way (i.e. upgrading on top of the current OS instead of wiping everything and doing a clean install) and Scratchlive 2.5 (which I had installed previously) still appears to work fine with my SL1.

I was testing it for a gig that I thought I was going to need it for, but the turntables they had at the venue had to be abandoned due to a TERRIBLE ground hum that nobody could eliminate (a botched repair job is suspected) so we ended up using SDJ on my DDJ-SX that I brought as backup anyway. No issues :).
Frank aka Cue 4:35 PM - 5 October, 2017
Quote:
I own a SL1 box.
I've installed Scratch Live 2.5 with the workaround and it works in Analyzing files and setting cue points, when I connect the SL1 box trough an adapter thunderbolt/usb (dodocool) the track just plays distorted and audio comes and goes repeatedly, both in internal and relative mode.

Please Help!

I got the very same problem with the same set up only with Sierra 10.12.6. Does anyone know how to solve this? :)
EchoSlim 2:55 AM - 8 October, 2017
Anyone experiencing sporadic audio skipping during their sets?
Crackpipe 11:43 PM - 11 October, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I own a SL1 box.

Please Help!

I got the very same problem with the same set up only with Sierra 10.12.6. Does anyone know how to solve this? :)

There is some confusion and when people state they have it working they need to clarify:

Macbook year: 2012-2015 with USB 3.0 ports or 2016+ with USB type C ports
SL hardware: SL1, TTM57, SL2, SL3, etc etc
SSL 2.5 or SDJ (whatever version they are on...I don't have SDJ).

I'm assuming since this is a Sierra thread, the OS will be Sierra or High Sierra.
Culprit 12:25 AM - 12 October, 2017
I can't say for certain that it works on High Sierra but removing sips/rootless protection has been working. I have done it on over 25 laptops now, all happy satisfied friends and clients.
DJ_Austin 7:47 AM - 2 November, 2017
Friends, prompt me how to act. I put Sierra on a separate external hard disk, Serato Scratch Live 2.5 set. Set with an error in the end, but ... The program is started and works. During connection of map of SL1 - it's detected and works. Tested in the flow of hour, as though all be well.
Configuration of macbook mid 2012 Ram 16 gb, i5, ssd 256
Here I think to put or no now instead of Yosemite.
Those, who works with Sl1 in Siera write as works stably? and how many time did you work on such configuration?
DJ_Austin 7:50 AM - 2 November, 2017
Sierra 10.12.6

Quote:
Friends, prompt me how to act. I put Sierra on a separate external hard disk, Serato Scratch Live 2.5 set. Set with an error in the end, but ... The program is started and works. During connection of map of SL1 - it's detected and works. Tested in the flow of hour, as though all be well.
Configuration of macbook mid 2012 Ram 16 gb, i5, ssd 256
Here I think to put or no now instead of Yosemite.
Those, who works with Sl1 in Siera write as works stably? and how many time did you work on such configuration?
DJ_Austin 12:21 PM - 20 November, 2017
Used about 10-12 hours on Sierra 10.12.6 - All GOOD. No frezzes and other.
Elementrix 2:00 PM - 2 December, 2017
Quote:
I own a SL1 box.

Please Help!

I have roughly the same problem. I have connected my SL1 to my macbook pro, on which im running Sierra 10.12.6. I connect it with the usb via an usb c adaptor. Software works fine, signal shows strong, but i still distorted and audio comes and goes repeatedly, on all modes, including INT. Could it be the adaptors fault? Should i get a USB that goes straight into my usb c port on my mac? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
Elementrix 6:14 PM - 4 December, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
I own a SL1 box.

Please Help!

I have roughly the same problem. I have connected my SL1 to my macbook pro, on which im running Sierra 10.12.6. I connect it with the usb via an usb c adaptor. Software works fine, signal shows strong, but i still distorted and audio comes and goes repeatedly, on all modes, including INT. Could it be the adaptors fault? Should i get a USB that goes straight into my usb c port on my mac? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

guys, just to let you know i have fixed this problem, because the drop in drop out signal was caused by the adapter. got a new usb 2.0 straight to usb c and it works like a charm. i guess just don't use adaptors anymore.
DjDerek-nuimij1 11:15 PM - 13 January, 2018
hey guys, i have mac book pro mid 2012 model, it came with El Capitan os, now i found out the hard wat that the SL1 box does not work on El Capitan os, and i couldn't perform at that gig. however i have since upgrade my os to HIGH SIERRA os, i had a gig to play in and the house system had a range 62 mixer, my laptop installed the drivers from the mixer but showed NO CONNECTION. Aagin i lost out on another gig. I reinstalled all the drivers for all the available rate mixers available from the Rane website. i have 2 gigs coming and i don't want anymore problems with connections.
DjDerek-nuimij1 11:16 PM - 13 January, 2018
i am pretty sure one of the place i am to play at carries the SL1 box still, my question now is will my laptop which is using HIGH SIERRA os connect with SL1 Box???
also would have prevent my laptop from connecting to the Rane 62 mixer??
djsleeper.com 2:36 AM - 14 January, 2018
i've been having similar problems bro. since Sierra, you can't use Serato Scratch Live reliably any more. and the 62 for some reason is really shaky. i've tried dozens of workarounds, driver deletions, etc. i bring a controller in my car now just in case.
pdidy 5:48 PM - 14 January, 2018
send me $20 on paypal an i will explain to you how to fix the problem.
Culprit 7:20 PM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:

Let's just start a service man, we only need 4 or 5 guys to cover the United States via territories. I can cover the west coast 😁
deejayfatcat 10:17 PM - 14 January, 2018
Still find it nuts that I never did the fit and my sl1works perfect w sierra. I also recently use a sl3 at a club an same.
pdidy 11:39 PM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Let's just start a service man, we only need 4 or 5 guys to cover the United States via territories. I can cover the west coast 😁

lol, put me down for the east coast.
djstingray 10:22 PM - 26 January, 2018
The date is 1/26/2018. I was able to install 2.5 on Sierra using the above instructions. It wouldn't work until I EMPTIED MY BIN after deleting the SeratoScratchDriver.kext file.

Kind of a weird thing, but it's working, not 100% fully tested on my end. Will update if too buggy.

2010 MBP 13" 2.66
vpcha76 2:31 PM - 1 February, 2018
Hi people,

as a begginer on vinyl mixing (experienced on controlers such as Vestax VCI-300) i bought second hand last month a couple of Vestax PDX 2300 = Pioneer DJM 600 + Rane SL 1 for christmas.

Back home after my purchase i realised that i'll have to run them only with my old (very old) MBP 17" from 2006 under Snow Leopard and not on my MBP retina 15" late under OS 10.13.2 (High Sierra).

This, until i read this post and used edenterrorist workaround.

All is running seemlessly. thx a lot
vpcha76 2:33 PM - 1 February, 2018
forgot to say that i use SSL 2.5 (under High Sierra)
Culprit 5:28 PM - 1 February, 2018
Quote:
forgot to say that i use SSL 2.5 (under High Sierra)

Awesome great to hear
djstingray 10:29 PM - 1 February, 2018
OK. Well now it's not seeing my 57 for some reason. Maybe I deleted something. I already bought my downgrade to Mt. Lion. Think I will just do that, good luck to everyone else!
djkreshbeatz 8:07 PM - 8 February, 2018
Hi everyone!

I used @edenterrorist the workaround

All is running!

I am using:
MacBook Pro (13-inch, Mid 2012)
2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Running OSX High Sierra - Version 10.13.3
djkreshbeatz 1:53 PM - 9 February, 2018
Quote:
Hi everyone!

I used @edenterrorist the workaround

All is running!

I am using:
2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

CRAP! Worked only one time!(((
Dj KIrps aka Hed Gandhi 7:58 PM - 27 February, 2018
So reading through the thread is anyone successfully using SL1 with Mac OS High Sierra? this means no issues, audio cut outs etc..?
Thanks
djkreshbeatz 12:41 AM - 28 February, 2018
Quote:
So reading through the thread is anyone successfully using SL1 with Mac OS High Sierra? this means no issues, audio cut outs etc..?
Thanks

Its cool!
First time was some problems, then problems disappeared. Just know first of all you need plug in the USB, then you open Scratch Live

I used SL1 with Mac OS High Sierra during a 1 month. Works without problems!

Today I did downgrade to Mac OS Mavericks because this version works stably on my macbook

I am using:
2,5 GHz Intel Core i5
16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
DJ MAJ1 1:09 PM - 18 June, 2018
Hi I need a new macbook and am thinking of getting the 2017 Macbook Air
1.8GHz Processor
128 GB Storage
1.8GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 processor
Turbo Boost up to 2.9GHz
8GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 memory
128GB SSD storage1
Intel HD Graphics 6000

The only thing is that I still use SL1 and the mac store representatives had no idea about the workaround installing SL1. Is it difficult to do?

I use a Numark Mixtrack pro 3 so I will use Serato DJ Pro with the Macbook Air with an external hard drive. The only thing I am worried about is being able to install SL1 because I need that for my home set up and some club set ups where I use technic 1200 set up.

Thank you
Culprit 4:18 PM - 18 June, 2018
its been recommended to use a 2015 Macbook Pro or below laptop for older hardware. Your accepting full responsibility either way when purchasing a newer macbook pro since they are not considered to work with Serato Scratch Live. SSL went end of Life 2013, there are no gaurantees, good luck.
DJ MAJ1 4:40 PM - 18 June, 2018
but many in this blog have stated they have been successful with workaround for SL 1 and the new macbooks
DJ MAJ1 5:14 PM - 18 June, 2018
@ culprit

if I get an older mac but the software is the latest am in the same boat as you described in your post?
Culprit 7:01 PM - 18 June, 2018
Quote:
but many in this blog have stated they have been successful with workaround for SL 1 and the new macbooks

you will also notice some have failed to work, you throw the dice and take the gamble.

Quote:
@ culprit

if I get an older mac but the software is the latest am in the same boat as you described in your post?

Anything above yosemite needs to be hacked, the laptops with the usb 2/3 ports have the highest success rate of utilizing legacy hardware with legacy software.

Again, up to you, your risk. If you get a newer macbook and the SL1 does not work, at least you can utilize the latest hardware with the latest software.

Throw the dice my friend.
DJ MAJ1 7:31 PM - 18 June, 2018
so below yosemite im good im also using a mixtrack pro 3 will that be compatible?
DJ MAJ1 7:34 PM - 18 June, 2018
my current macbook is the white one from 2008 and running Version 10.7: "Lion" yet still working with my mixtrack pro 3 even though the minimum requirements stated max osx 10.11 and up any idea why?
popnwave 8:25 PM - 18 June, 2018
Quote:
my current macbook is the white one from 2008 and running Version 10.7: "Lion" yet still working with my mixtrack pro 3 even though the minimum requirements stated max osx 10.11 and up any idea why?

Even if the version isn't listed as officially supported a lot of people are riding older versions because of hardware. I'm still happy on Yosemite and have no desire to upgrade until forced.
DJ MAJ1 8:31 PM - 18 June, 2018
@ popnwave thats what I assumed, even Serato DJ lite is working with my system but my laptop crashed twice at my gig this Friday when I was still using serato dj intro.

Now Im wondering if its better to use an older version of Serato DJ intro that lists the same compability as my OSX.
DJ MAJ1 8:51 PM - 18 June, 2018
Even if I do get a new macbook air 2017 and the workaround works for SL 1 then I can't use Serato DJ? Is that right

I need both,
Jvine 9:42 PM - 18 June, 2018
Quote:
@ culprit

No, If your older MacBook pro comes with Sierra etc. on it from the person you are buying it from, but had Yosemite etc. on it at one point, Apple will "downgrade" you at the Apple Store for free. I've had to do it before when I accidentally OK'ed El Capitan. It was no issue what-so-ever.
Jvine 9:45 PM - 18 June, 2018
Basically if your older but new to you MacBook Pro was released/purchased pre June '15, you can "downgrade" to Yosemite(runs SSL and SDJ fine) at the Apple Store without issue.
Culprit 9:52 PM - 18 June, 2018
Quote:
Even if I do get a new macbook air 2017 and the workaround works for SL 1 then I can't use Serato DJ? Is that right

I need both,

You need to read through this thread as its been stated like at least 10 to 12 times every time this question is asked that once the hack is applied it only affects Serato Scratch Live and not Serato DJ.

To dumb it down yes both software should work, no gaurantee on ScratchLIVE though.
Culprit 9:55 PM - 18 June, 2018
also to clarify the hack is only needed on El Captain and Above and is not required on Yosemite down. So the formula is > Yosemite = Need Hack, Yosemite < Hack Not Needed
Aptidda 11:19 PM - 20 June, 2018
This is all not true, I am running the most up to date Mac OS on my brand new 2018 MacBook and it runs great. Feel free to upgrade your OS, idk what they did but the newest OSX versions are ported for ScratchLive.
pdidy 2:06 AM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:
This is all not true, I am running the most up to date Mac OS on my brand new 2018 MacBook and it runs great. Feel free to upgrade your OS, idk what they did but the newest OSX versions are ported for ScratchLive.

osx high sierra works with ScratchLive?
popnwave 2:30 PM - 21 June, 2018
Quote:

OSes aren't ported for anything. Applications are ported. SSL hasn't been updated in almost 5 years now so it's not being ported either. Mojave will be the LAST macOS SSL will work on anyway because it is 32bit. This doesn't take in to account USB device support to activate SSL, nor any of the security stuff that has been added to OSX/macOS since Yosemite.
Culprit 9:37 PM - 21 June, 2018
Lol, ported
GRiNDBoX 2:14 PM - 3 September, 2018
tracking this thread
dj t-spark 8:46 PM - 7 September, 2018
Quote:
Just had a new SSD hard drive installed into my MacBook Pro 10', running lightning fast now. Couldn't go back to Mavericks so runnin' latest Sierra. One thing I've noticed is randomly there's a short tiny skip in the audio. Any one else experiencing this??
Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Quote:

I'm having the same problem - does anyone have any suggestions?
Did the edenterrorist workaround, audio files and crates are reading OK but I get a few stutters per track - no bueno...
Just upgraded from Lion to Sierra 10.12.3 on a late 2011 Mac Book Pro running SL1
carlosJpalacios 8:53 PM - 22 September, 2018
I need some help guys.. I’m trying to get my dj set up to work. I have the latest Mac book pro 2018 with high Sierra software. I also have the Rane tm57sl. How can I get my mixer to work with the new lap top.?
keyray 6:14 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers Tim on a...

Thanx man, it works by me)
carlosJpalacios 7:44 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers Tim on a...

What’s the workaround. I tried to do it and when I restart my laptop and try to enter the command there’s no where I can type it.
The Real Dj Danger 9:25 PM - 23 September, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Here are the instructions for El Capitan, should be the same workaround

This Fix/Workaround might work for you guys...

After I deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext and got my 57SL working with Scratch Live on El Capitan I then decided to install all the other drivers that come with the package and somehow screwed my whole workaround up and for some reason I found I couldn't fresh reinstall Scratch Live so...

1.) Download Scratch Live again.
2.) Restart your Mac holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
3.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
4.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil disable

5.) Press Enter/Return. This turns off the part of SIP that will let you run a fresh Scratch Live install again.
6.) Type reboot and press Enter/Return to restart your Mac.
7.) After the restart you can install Scratch Live.

NOW IMPORTANT

8.) Restart again once you install holding down Command-R until the Apple logo appears.
9.) From the Utilities menu, select Terminal.
10.) In the Terminal window, type this:

csrutil enable

11.) Press Enter/Return. This turns back on the part of SIP you disabled temporarily.

11a.) I can't remember if I then deleted SeratoScratchDriver.kext again from Macintosh HD > System > Library > Extensions or just moved on to step 12.

12.) Turn on your 57SL and plug in the USB.
13.) Launch Scratch Live and hopefully you're back in action like I was, I'll update if this method stops working at some point.

Cheers

Cheers Tim on a...

What’s the workaround. I tried to do it and when I restart my laptop and try to enter the command there’s no where I can type it.
Culprit 1:17 AM - 24 September, 2018
this way is safer -> csrutil enable --without kext
copywrite 1:44 PM - 2 November, 2018
has anyone tried the "mod" on mojave?
i'm still using a ttm 57 mk1 :)
dj gozira 9:24 PM - 27 November, 2018
Quote:
Just wanted to let folks know that I just tested this out after installing the new Mac OS called Sierra (10.12).

NOTE: I had to dump the kext file and reinstall SL 2.5 using this workaround (serato.com) BUT after reinstall, I can confirm, I did get it to work.

I do not have a TTM 57SL and therefore, cannot test with that.

hi there after year using sl1 with 2 technics 1200 and dj tech dif-im mixer,and Mac book pro retina 13-inch early 2015 ,now Mac OS Sierra 10.12.6 I feel like frying when the serrate vimil control goes forward in rel mode and int mode , I see this workaround I reinstall scratch live I delete the kext file but the frying mode is still present I'm in shit I got some gigs this week.... please help me...
popnwave 12:06 AM - 28 November, 2018
I'd roll back to Yosemite, which you don't need to edit that crud with.
dj gozira 11:48 AM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Just had a new SSD hard drive installed into my MacBook Pro 10', running lightning fast now. Couldn't go back to Mavericks so runnin' latest Sierra. One thing I've noticed is randomly there's a short tiny skip in the audio. Any one else experiencing this??

Quote:

Did the edenterrorist workaround, audio files and crates are reading OK but I get a few stutters per track - no bueno...
Just upgraded from Lion to Sierra 10.12.3 on a late 2011 Mac Book Pro running SL1

short tiny skip in the audio is better definition to my problem, trying to compare it with an old windows pc if is no getting me the problem... because in the next 2 weeks I have to gigs can't wait god solution :D
dj gozira 3:01 PM - 28 November, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

short tiny skip in the audio is better definition to my problem, trying to compare it with an old windows pc if is no getting me the problem... because in the next 2 weeks I have to gigs can't wait god solution :D

just test it with an old windows 7 , with some obvious lag in the screen but the sound is perfect no short tiny skip in the audio... I'm trying to downgrade the Mac to Yosemite but is no more available on the Italian App Store....so really I'm lost....can't do what I can do....
TurtleFaceBrownNoser 9:47 PM - 30 November, 2018
No just stop. Sweet and sour pork, crab rangoons, chicken fried rice- thank you.
Culprit 10:27 PM - 30 November, 2018
Here ya go -> macpaw.com
dj gozira 7:30 PM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
Here ya go -> macpaw.com

what do you mean?
dj gozira 7:35 PM - 3 December, 2018
I bought my Mac in 2016, this Mac born with Sierra impossible downgrade, the only thing I could do is buy sl2 or 3.....for now the only thing I did is reinstall ssl with an older version 2.4.0 and it goes little better but not perfectly...
Culprit 11:09 PM - 3 December, 2018
Quote:
I bought my Mac in 2016, this Mac born with Sierra impossible downgrade, the only thing I could do is buy sl2 or 3.....for now the only thing I did is reinstall ssl with an older version 2.4.0 and it goes little better but not perfectly...

Understood I thought you had upgraded.
Hector_Rdzz 7:57 PM - 12 December, 2018
So I have a MacBook Pro touch bar 15 inch 2016 running Sierra 10.12.6 I downloaded the scratch live 2.5 software but it doesn't even let me install it. It gets an error towards the end and doesn't let me install it. Any suggestions already have the laptop for a while and never have I been able to even install it.

I have a SL-1 with an old unmark mixer and technics 1200's running it old school.
DJ G-Rebel 2:49 PM - 14 December, 2018
Quote:
So I have a MacBook Pro touch bar 15 inch 2016 running Sierra 10.12.6 I downloaded the scratch live 2.5 software but it doesn't even let me install it. It gets an error towards the end and doesn't let me install it. Any suggestions already have the laptop for a while and never have I been able to even install it.

I have a SL-1 with an old unmark mixer and technics 1200's running it old school.

Go back to OS X Yosemite. I run it with Scratch Live 2.5 and Serato DJ Pro 2.1 without ANY problems!
Hector_Rdzz 2:21 AM - 15 December, 2018
the thing is that this MacBook Pro came with Sierra, I never had Yosemite.
Hector_Rdzz 2:23 AM - 15 December, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Go back to OS X Yosemite. I run it with Scratch Live 2.5 and Serato DJ Pro 2.1 without ANY problems!

the thing is that I never had Yosemite, this MacBook Pro came with Sierra
popnwave 7:00 PM - 17 December, 2018
Yeah a 2016, will not run Yosemite either, you could probably get away with El Capitan depending on when your model came out (if it was prior to September 20, 2016 it will support it).
copywrite 2:46 PM - 31 December, 2018
Just to let you know:

the "mod" works with mojave, too :)
kyle desouza 8:55 PM - 18 February, 2019
Can anyone confirm it works with all serato boxes? SL1-SL4??
Culprit 5:49 AM - 19 February, 2019
Quote:
Can anyone confirm it works with all serato boxes? SL1-SL4??

It's been working on all the computes I have hacked
alecksfawth 8:16 PM - 4 July, 2019
I am running Sierra 10.13.3 and really having trouble getting passed the 2nd step :-/
Karl W 6:36 AM - 19 July, 2019
Quote:

If you dont have a recovery drive installed you will not be able to do step 2. The work around for

csrutil disable command in terminal of the recovery drive is to use a bootable USB install instead and run that terminal command.

Check out dosdude for usb installer creation app and also to downloads 10.12/13 install files with the same app