Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

OSX Sierra -- So Far, So Good.

djmacklong 11:00 PM - 20 September, 2016
I decided to test OSX Sierra on my home/non-DJ laptop today, and so far so good! My 62 comes alive almost immediately. The CPU load does seem a little high, but this is a 2010 laptop with only 8 gigs of RAM and a 2.4 i5 processor. Gonna test out my DDJ-SZ now...
DJ GSOUND 8:30 AM - 21 September, 2016
good to hear I am considering upgrading el capitan to osx sierra with my 2015 MBP with 16 gigs and I7 2.2 processor.
Philmixit 10:30 AM - 21 September, 2016
I update my cumputer to OS X sierra , and serato is running very well, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 for me it is running the same with no problem at all.
DJ Tecniq 10:54 AM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
I update my cumputer to OS X sierra , and serato is running very well, 1.9.2 and 1.9.3 for me it is running the same with no problem at all.
And exactly how long have you been running it? Are you also playing out live with Sierra. Curious
MadMike 1:08 PM - 21 September, 2016
Hi all,

Have somebody tried Serato DJ with MacOS Sierra combined with Numark NS 7 II.
I am currently on El Capitan, I would be happy about your feedback :) Thank You!!

kind regards,

Mike

My Specs:
iMac 5k 27"
i5 4x 3,5 Ghz
8GB Ram
1TB Fusion Drive
battle for burlington 3:28 PM - 21 September, 2016
Anyone running Scratch Live with Sierra? Would love to know! I have a TTM57SL which is not compatible with Serato DJ and wondering if it will work well with Scratch Live on Sierra.
Philmixit 4:10 PM - 21 September, 2016
Hi DJ Tecniq, Sierra just came out yesterday , I am going to play it every day at home for 3 hours and see if it hold up. playing out No not yet :(
DJ Tecniq 4:19 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Hi DJ Tecniq, Sierra just came out yesterday , I am going to play it every day at home for 3 hours and see if it hold up. playing out No not yet :(
Cool let us know how it goes I'm not even on dl Capitan lol. Yosemite here. I don't know why everyone is jumping to Sierra so quickly. With every new OS X keep in mind more CPU will be used sometimes these new OS X are not always stress free they may actually drain more power. But to each their own
DJ Tecniq 4:20 PM - 21 September, 2016
El Capitan*
djmacklong 4:24 PM - 21 September, 2016
El Capitan has been out for like two years now and all the bugs have been worked out so there's no reason not to feel comfortable upgrading at this point (though I know many will disagree like they have a personal stake in it). I know several guys who've been testing SDJ with the beta version of Sierra and having zero issues at all so that's why I felt comfortable trying it out on my home/non-DJ laptop. Glad to hear everyone else is having the same experience as me so far.

Also, I've read posts where people have said that their SL1s worked with Scratch Live on Sierra. I haven't seen anything about the 57 yet, but there seems to be some hope of resurrection.
DJ Tecniq 4:56 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
El Capitan has been out for like two years now and all the bugs have been worked out so there's no reason not to feel comfortable upgrading at this point (though I know many will disagree like they have a personal stake in it). I know several guys who've been testing SDJ with the beta version of Sierra and having zero issues at all so that's why I felt comfortable trying it out on my home/non-DJ laptop. Glad to hear everyone else is having the same experience as me so far.

Also, I've read posts where people have said that their SL1s worked with Scratch Live on Sierra. I haven't seen anything about the 57 yet, but there seems to be some hope of resurrection.
Hrmmm 2 years ago? Wikipedia says more like 11 months ago manufactured sept 30th 2015. Hasn't even been a year yet🤔
djmacklong 5:07 PM - 21 September, 2016
Is that all it is? It really feels like it's been waaaayyyy longer than that, lol. I admit that I didn't actually check the release date on El Cap.

That said, my DDJ-SZ works on Sierra as well. Testing a friend's OG 57 later.
djmacklong 5:08 PM - 21 September, 2016
Beta was out July '15...maybe that's why I was thinking it'd been out longer.
djmacklong 6:44 PM - 21 September, 2016
57 doesn't work.
citi 6:49 PM - 21 September, 2016
My feeling is nothing will really change until they change the underlying file structure which should happen after Sierra. It's currently in beta testing but is still very much optional. It's designed for solid state drives and we all know a lot of MACs aren't running SSDs.

I'm going to bite the bullet on my MBP and finally upgrade to El Capitan.

By the way, I have a 2016 macbook and the auto unlock with your apple watch is the shit. Siri is cool but it's not the end all. The picture in picture is cool too but could always split screen in EC so I'm good with just updating and being a year behind.

All I know is, Serato better give it's blessing on Sierra before the new macs come out in October because I can't wait to finally upgrade my 2012 MBP!
DJ Tecniq 6:57 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Is that all it is? It really feels like it's been waaaayyyy longer than that, lol. I admit that I didn't actually check the release date on El Cap.

Yeah less than a year old is def still new to me however apple is cranking out new OSX every 8-9 months which is think is quite extreme it's no wonder why these software companies are taking so long trying to keep up.
PopRoXxX 7:06 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah less than a year old is def still new to me however apple is cranking out new OSX every 8-9 months which is think is quite extreme it's no wonder why these software companies are taking so long trying to keep up.

Its actually annually. Not 8-9 months. You're most likely thinking when the BETA's drop. But even the BETA's drop around a year after the previous OS BETA. But still, new Mac OS's drop fast considering it happens every year lol
djmacklong 9:42 PM - 21 September, 2016
I know Serato hasn't officially said they're supporting it yet, but I'm currently updating my DJ laptop to Sierra because all of the hardware I need it to function with is operating correctly on my older MBP. I'll be doing plenty of testing with my 62 and SZ over the next couple days before I decide if I need to fire up Time Machine before the weekend hits.
djmacklong 9:44 PM - 21 September, 2016
Quote:
It's currently in beta testing but is still very much optional.

Sierra was officially released yesterday (at least that's what I THINK you were referring to.)
boabmatic 10:04 PM - 21 September, 2016
didn't have any gigs in the next week or two so made the jump as I had sometime to test (already tried an early beta on a secondary drive so had some confidence SDJ/62 would work fine)

So far no issues with SDJ and the 62

Also Ableton and Push 1 + various plugins all working too
(had to re-install java 6 again as the sierra install removes this and is required for MaxforLive, had the same problem with the El Capitan update)
DJ GSOUND 10:15 PM - 21 September, 2016
just tried my DDJ SX everything all good on osx sierra I had to reinstall 1.9.2 other then that all is good.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Matt-C 3:54 AM - 22 September, 2016
Serato's official recommendation is to hold off from updating to macOS Sierra.

We are still testing the final version and will update this message shortly: serato.com

Thanks.
Deejay Rich 6:14 AM - 22 September, 2016
I'm still having connection issues with my 62 running os x El Capitan 10.11.6 tried every solution people gave me it will just try to connect and then it disappears no connection with SDJ 1.9.2 and running macbook pro 2011.

should I just do a clean install of El Capitan or revert back to Yosemite but the only thing I can't make Yosemite into a bootable drive does anyone know where I can still get one.

thanks for the help!
DJ Tecniq 11:28 AM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm still having connection issues with my 62 running os x El Capitan 10.11.6 tried every solution people gave me it will just try to connect and then it disappears no connection with SDJ 1.9.2 and running macbook pro 2011.

should I just do a clean install of El Capitan or revert back to Yosemite but the only thing I can't make Yosemite into a bootable drive does anyone know where I can still get one.

thanks for the help!
There are many tutorials on how to revert back to Yosemite from El Capitan on YouTube. All you need is a USB drive with 5 gigs storage. Backup all your data first cause it will erase everything. In your App Store when you login you should find "Yosemite" in your downloaded apps area free to install.
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:34 AM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:

thanks for the help!

Should be in your app store under purchased (if you downloaded it before) other than that ask friend/family member and have a 8gb usb stick.

Or look on ebay or amazon for people selling usb stick with it on.
DJ Tecniq 11:36 AM - 22 September, 2016
Can use a USB stick, external, memory card etc to boot off of.
Deejay Rich 3:52 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

thanks for the help!

Should be in your app store under purchased (if you downloaded it before) other than that ask friend/family member and have a 8gb usb stick.

Or look on ebay or amazon for people selling usb stick with it on.

I already tired re-downloading Yosemite but nothing downloads and I know that when apple releases new versions of OS X like Sierra they remove older OS X from there store. So looks like I have to go on amazon or eBay.
PopRoXxX 4:03 PM - 22 September, 2016
It should be in your purchases section of the app store on your MBP. Go there, download it, transfer the file to a USB jump drive with at least 5-8GB on it and reinstall. Sometimes the older OS's take a bit to download. I have 200down/10up at my house for my internet and it still took over an hour.
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:31 PM - 22 September, 2016
ok I installed Sierra and nope its shite CPU is flat out all time fans on full 30c hotter. thats without even opening Serato. open SDJ CPU 100% Used.

MacBook Pro 15'' MID2012 i7 QUAD CORE 2.7Ghz. 16GB RAM. 960GB SSD. 1GB GPU.
DJ Tecniq 4:37 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
ok I installed Sierra and nope its shite CPU is flat out all time fans on full 30c hotter. thats without even opening Serato. open SDJ CPU 100% Used.

Damn that's insane. Guess stability wasn't there main concern then. I'm still on Yosemite thinking about finally upgrading to El Capitan... Haha
LJ_WOOLSEY 4:42 PM - 22 September, 2016
I used a spare hard drive for testing. ''mdworker'' process is just constantly running at max. Google shows it's todo with Spotlight. I will try disabling spotlight (Which is one the optimising steps anyway that serrate recommend)
LJ_WOOLSEY 5:24 PM - 22 September, 2016
yep disabling spotlight and Siri did the trick.
John Calipari 6:01 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
It's currently in beta testing but is still very much optional.

Sierra was officially released yesterday (at least that's what I THINK you were referring to.)

I think he is speaking of Apple's move away from HPFS to the new File System APFS. It is still in Beta and can only be used on drives other than the Boot drive.
John Calipari 6:06 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
thinking about finally upgrading to El Capitan... Haha

El Cap is a worthy upgrade and since they realeased 10.11.6 and implied that is the final release of EL Capitan, you will be getting the last, cleanest, slimmest, and most stable release of it.

But do a clean install, it makes all the difference.
DJ Tecniq 8:12 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
thinking about finally upgrading to El Capitan... Haha

El Cap is a worthy upgrade and since they realeased 10.11.6 and implied that is the final release of EL Capitan, you will be getting the last, cleanest, slimmest, and most stable release of it.

But do a clean install, it makes all the difference.
Thanks will keep that in mind. I would think Yosemite is better stability wise as El Capitan uses more memory or is that not true? Not sure since I'm not on EC yet
John Calipari 8:38 PM - 22 September, 2016
Depending on which MB you have, your logic could be right. I have an Apple enthusiast friend that insist that iMac's & Macbooks run best with the latest iteration of OS that was introduced that same year the respective Macbook itself Released.

He says it is because that would specific Mac build that Apple themselves would be optimizing that OS for, so his theory is a 2014 MB would work best with Yosemite, 2013 Mavericks, 2012 Mountain Lion and so on. I have a Late 2015 15" so it's native OS was EL Capitan

Just his loose theory, but I definitely think that has been the case with IPHONES/IPADS.
PopRoXxX 9:02 PM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Depending on which MB you have, your logic could be right. I have an Apple enthusiast friend that insist that iMac's & Macbooks run best with the latest iteration of OS that was introduced that same year the respective Macbook itself Released.

He says it is because that would specific Mac build that Apple themselves would be optimizing that OS for, so his theory is a 2014 MB would work best with Yosemite, 2013 Mavericks, 2012 Mountain Lion and so on. I have a Late 2015 15" so it's native OS was EL Capitan

Just his loose theory, but I definitely think that has been the case with IPHONES/IPADS.

I agree to this to a point. But Apple (and other companies) test/build their software with that present/new tech in mind and test/build thoroughly with previous tech as well. Hence dropping support for tech that is past a certain point
John Calipari 12:14 AM - 23 September, 2016
I'm considering Skipping Sierra. Its the features OS release that Apple has traditionally alternated with efficiency releases and I could care less about Siri, care less about the photo app, and care less about Storage cleaning. I'll decide what files get deleted to make space when the issue arises. And Safari just released Safari 10 on El Capitan.

I just want stability and efficient memory management.
Robert Raye 6:56 PM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:

Quote:
I used a spare hard drive for testing. ''mdworker'' process is just constantly running at max. Google shows it's todo with Spotlight. I will try disabling spotlight (Which is one the optimising steps anyway that serrate recommend)

All that CPU load and drama was just the initial indexing of your files. It will calm down once its done. Could take minutes to hours depending on how much stuff is on your HD.
Daz411 7:50 PM - 23 September, 2016
Probably best to wait for 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 of Sierra before upgrading. Usually most of the bugs are ironed out by then. Sierra is a minor upgrade anyways you guys aren't really missing out on much.
popnwave 7:52 PM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
Probably best to wait for 10.12.1 or 10.12.2 of Sierra before upgrading. Usually most of the bugs are ironed out by then. Sierra is a minor upgrade anyways you guys aren't really missing out on much.

I agree, and I think the audio stuff changed in El Cap hasn't been messed with again. No different than waiting for that first SP on the Win platform, good to let it be in the wild a few weeks to a month if you just HAVE to upgrade.
LJ_WOOLSEY 9:02 PM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

All that CPU load and drama was just the initial indexing of your files. It will calm down once its done. Could take minutes to hours depending on how much stuff is on your HD.

24hours was still doing it lol
djmacklong 9:49 AM - 24 September, 2016
4 hour set tonight on Sierra, 1.9.3, and a Rane 62. No issues whatsoever.
John Calipari 3:10 PM - 26 September, 2016
Yeah, I read some Geekbench scores on Sierra vs. EL Capitan and seeing users having no issues thus far with SJ,despite my earlier reservations and pessimism, I'm going to upgrade, maybe tonight.

A Clean Install though
DjDundada 3:40 PM - 2 October, 2016
yeah serato 1.9.2 won't let me activate my hardware. I updated to 1.9.3 but wasn't working for me with macOs Sierra, so I installed 1.9.2 again and no bueno
John Calipari 12:37 AM - 3 October, 2016
Quote:
yeah serato 1.9.2 won't let me activate my hardware. I updated to 1.9.3 but wasn't working for me with macOs Sierra, so I installed 1.9.2 again and no bueno

Did you do a clean install of Sierra or update over top of EL Capitan or Yosemite?

I ask because I did a Clean Sierra install and went for days both in offline mode and 5 hrs straight connected with no issues, but my hardware is class compliant and doesn't need drivers.
popnwave 5:11 PM - 3 October, 2016
Looks like clean is the way to go for anyone using pro audio stuff.
John Calipari 5:17 PM - 7 October, 2016
The Sierra .1 Beta 3 just released and it seems to really improve performance. Much snappier and releases about another half-GB of Ram post start-up.

The inital 10.12 GM Candidate left me with around 11.7GB free. Beta 1 improved a bit, Beta 2 improved a bit more to about where EL Cap Final release was. Beta 3 is the best yet

I'm now at about 12.3GB free after restart, but I also run Avira AV Beta, CleanMyMac 3, CleanMyDrive as resident start-up programs and have Spotlight indexing and Siri disabled. But still all the more elbow room for Serato to stretch out.
PopRoXxX 3:42 PM - 8 October, 2016
Quote:
The Sierra .1 Beta 3 just released and it seems to really improve performance. Much snappier and releases about another half-GB of Ram post start-up.

The inital 10.12 GM Candidate left me with around 11.7GB free. Beta 1 improved a bit, Beta 2 improved a bit more to about where EL Cap Final release was. Beta 3 is the best yet

I'm now at about 12.3GB free after restart, but I also run Avira AV Beta, CleanMyMac 3, CleanMyDrive as resident start-up programs and have Spotlight indexing and Siri disabled. But still all the more elbow room for Serato to stretch out.

Nice! Can't wait for the final
DjDundada 12:44 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Did you do a clean install of Sierra or update over top of EL Capitan or Yosemite?

I ask because I did a Clean Sierra install and went for days both in offline mode and 5 hrs straight connected with no issues, but my hardware is class compliant and doesn't need drivers.

No I didn't , so I would need to do a clean install then?
John Calipari 3:29 PM - 13 October, 2016
I asked because that's what worked for me on the first try.

What I did:

Time Machine Back-up of El Cap

Created a Sierra USB Installer (Using a terminal command)

Re-booted to the USB Installer

Went to the Installers System Utilities and Formatted the System Drive (HPFS Journaled+)

Went to the Installer Main Menu and Installed Sierra to the System Drive.

System automatically rebooted to the Sierra Setup screen where I:

Chose accordingly until I reached the Migration Option where I chose to migrate all the apps Music, Videos and Documents from my EL Cap Time Machine Back-up which took the longest time.

Upon starting, went to APP Store to check for Sierra Updates where there was already one available.

Once everything was up and running, everything including Serato has never ran better.
DjDundada 1:06 PM - 15 October, 2016
Quote:
I asked because that's what worked for me on the first try.

What I did:

Time Machine Back-up of El Cap

Created a Sierra USB Installer (Using a terminal command)

Re-booted to the USB Installer

Went to the Installers System Utilities and Formatted the System Drive (HPFS Journaled+)

Went to the Installer Main Menu and Installed Sierra to the System Drive.

System automatically rebooted to the Sierra Setup screen where I:

Chose accordingly until I reached the Migration Option where I chose to migrate all the apps Music, Videos and Documents from my EL Cap Time Machine Back-up which took the longest time.

Upon starting, went to APP Store to check for Sierra Updates where there was already one available.

Once everything was up and running, everything including Serato has never ran better.

Ok I'm have to try that one then
citi 9:34 PM - 19 October, 2016
Curious,

On the supported systems on the serato DJ download page it say 10.12 is fully supported. Is that a typo or do we have the go ahead.

I'm still not going ahead but just wondering.

Serato DJ
Operating System 1
Mac OS X 10.12
Mac OS X 10.11
Mac OS X 10.10
Mac OS X 10.9
Windows 10
Windows 8.1
Windows 7
DJ Tecniq 9:44 PM - 19 October, 2016
Not a typo however there is a list of unsupported devices listed here ->serato.com
Big Pops 12:25 AM - 20 October, 2016
Works well for me the only thing i noticed is the CPU is a bit more and the warning light next to the CPU keep blinking.
Any one else having this issue.
jony G 8:47 AM - 23 October, 2016
i was on El cap and running serato 1.9.3 fine for 3 hours then just stopped working was running cdjs at the time, the program locked up and then could press play and no sound, restarted and press play on my sx ok rest og the night, shame was at a gig,

fresh install of Yosemite today and going to go back to 1.9.2

2012MBP 256 ssd 16gb ram , 1tb hdd 2.5 i5
Michael A 1:51 PM - 25 October, 2016
Upgraded El Cap 10.11.4 to Sierra 10.12, noted high processor demand afterward. 2015 13" MBP. Looks like it is caused by the new photos software which will run a lengthy facial recognition process on all of your photos (it shows as photoanaysisid or something like that in system resources) which can create high processor demand for hours to days, depending on how many photos you have. I had over 22,000 photos, optimized Icloud photo storage, and two days in it has analyzed about 5,200 photos. MacBook needs to be plugged in and the photos app not open/in use for the process to run. Sleep looks like it interrupts it.

Offline, both 1.9.0 and 1.9.3 worked fine, but processor use was really high. Redlined analyzing multiple songs. I assume it will go back to normal once the photo analysis is done.

Also looks like 10.12.1 point release dropped.
Fount Beats - Tim 3:51 PM - 5 November, 2016
I currently have a support ticket open with Serato as, since upgrading my 2013 MacBook Pro to Sierra and Serato DJ to 1.9.3, DJ doesn't open at all, just hangs and goes to "Application Not Responding" - sad times!!
DJMike_123 11:18 AM - 7 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Hrmmm 2 years ago? Wikipedia says more like 11 months ago manufactured sept 30th 2015. Hasn't even been a year yet🤔

There is also the hardware being used to consider I myself still run a Numark NS6 and that does not have drivers that I am confident 100% work with El Capitan let alone the latest OSX I think Numark have stopped developing new driver sets for it so
there are many reasons why some of us will not upgrade to the latest OSX :-)