Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Latency in Serato Video - beyond the easy fix

DJ Weather 6:30 PM - 16 September, 2016
Hi all,

After downloading Serato DJ 1.9.2 along with Serato Video, I have experienced major latency. I am hip hop DJ and so the ability to scratch videos is probably the single most important thing to me in using Serato Video, as I am also a professional video editor and there are many other preferable pieces of software that allow me to play, control and manipulate video on the fly.

Here's what's going on:
Upon opening Serato DJ I typically have no latency, it comes into play when I open Video or even just after having Serato DJ open for a few minutes in use. I have tried decreasing my video buffer size while increasing my USB Buffer (not my first rodeo) and get very little results. In fact if I increase the USB Buffer to 2GB I get audio distortion and crackle.

I am using a late 2015 Macbook Pro completely beefed out with a 2.8 GHZ Intel Core i, 16 GB of Ram, a Radeon Graphics Card and over 500GB of free space on my hard drive and OS 10.11.6 El Capitan. This is my video editing travel machine, which handles After Effects and Cinema 4D just fine, so there's no reason it shouldn't fly using Serato Video.

Prior to upgrading my Serato DJ and adding in Video it worked perfectly with 0 latency.

Please help, I have upcoming gigs and this really screwing me. All tutorials I can find just cover the things I have already played with in regards to allocating memory, adjusting USB Buffer, etc.

Huge thanks if you can help me sort this. Serrate support is taking a long time to get back to me.

Cheers!
DJ Weather 6:32 PM - 16 September, 2016
I'd also note this latency comes in both audio and video and even when no video is loaded my audio playback still has latency (approx 1/2 second)
popnwave 8:48 PM - 16 September, 2016
And by latency, do you mean your videos are going out of sync with they audio? Or are they super slow to load?

First thing I would try is keep that older version of Serato installed side by side with 1.9.2 (I keep 1-3 versions depending if I am playing with a beta in my Applications folder). If 1.9.1 or earlier plays nice use it until the official support staff can get back to you.

Other option is grab the demo of MixEmergency and see if you have the same issue using it... free way to see if Serato is the culprit or the Video plug in.
DJ Tecniq 2:39 AM - 19 September, 2016
Sounds like either your graphics card or El Capitan. I'm running a 15" Mid 2014 MacBook Pro w/ NVIDEA card and 16 gig ram but running Yosemite with less than a quarter CPU w/o issues. Have experienced no lag whatsoever with video. All videos running on a Samsung T3 SSD ext drive and running smooth. I heard AMD graphics cards have caused issues with Windows machines as for Mac I'm not sure.
DJ Tecniq 2:43 AM - 19 September, 2016
Decreasing video buffer would not help. Increasing the video buffer to 2 gigs would. However you are implying the opposite doesn't. Have you made sure you are not using graphics switching? Make sure it's disabled to use your high performance graphics card (AMD) good luck
DJ Tecniq 3:05 AM - 19 September, 2016
Also let us know what hardware you're using. I'm running a Pioneer S9.
DJ Tecniq 3:06 AM - 19 September, 2016
Could be firmware/driver related which is why I ask. Make sure you are using El Capitan drivers they can properly be installed from Rane's website.
nik39 11:35 AM - 20 September, 2016
If it's urgent open a ticket with Serato support.