Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Serato DJ 1.9.3 Public Beta, now with Ableton Link support

1:50 AM, 14 Sep 2016
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
djphillip 8:49 PM - 14 September, 2016
How to SYNC Serato DJ & Ableton, using ableton link in one single laptop ? is it possible to do it ?
djphillip 8:50 PM - 14 September, 2016
Just like as serato bridge what i mean . Thank you .
Aylor Abreu 9:17 PM - 14 September, 2016
The Bridge is back?
djCanta 10:09 PM - 14 September, 2016
still no support for Pioneer's CDJ2000NXS2 and DJM900NXS2 hardware? Why?? We are waiting for this for 8 months already. It is the main Dj gear on every festival and major club at the moment...
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:25 PM - 14 September, 2016
Quote:
How to SYNC Serato DJ & Ableton, using ableton link in one single laptop ? is it possible to do it ?

Yes this is entirely possible - link will allow you to sync you Ableton Live session with Serato DJ.
djphillip 8:52 AM - 15 September, 2016
Thanks for reply Samuel S. I think most of us still confused about how to do it . Will be good if come up with a tutorial . Im able to find link button on ableton but not on serato dj . anyway to guide me ? thanks :)
djphillip 10:00 AM - 15 September, 2016
Nice ! Manage to overcome the setting. But it doesn't work like bridge anymore. Im satisfied overall. just a bit of small latency. And this time Ableton work as 'MASTER' and Serato as 'SLAVE' . Haven't give it a try on third party linkable apps to hook in into Ableton, but imaginary is there. BIG THANKS & THUMP UP TO SERATO !
dj_krono 2:05 PM - 15 September, 2016
Quote:
Nice ! Manage to overcome the setting. But it doesn't work like bridge anymore. Im satisfied overall. just a bit of small latency. And this time Ableton work as 'MASTER' and Serato as 'SLAVE' . Haven't give it a try on third party linkable apps to hook in into Ableton, but imaginary is there. BIG THANKS & THUMP UP TO SERATO !

Where you've found the button to enable link in serato settings?
It's possible tu set serato as master and ableton as slave?
Thank you.
djphillip 2:17 PM - 15 September, 2016
Hi there dj_krono. You must plug in your sl soundcard before you can detect the link button which is right on top of the left next to quantize button . From what i tried current Ableton as master, Serato as slave. when u activate the link button on serato dj you also need to link the second button to get in time . Is no more longer same like the last time 'bridge'. but from what i see there's more advantage this time . Hope that helps . Cheers.
nycdominicano17 8:15 PM - 15 September, 2016
in this new update is the Tempo Wave still there??
Asu 2:55 AM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
still no support for Pioneer's CDJ2000NXS2 and DJM900NXS2 hardware? Why?? We are waiting for this for 8 months already. It is the main Dj gear on every festival and major club at the moment...

Older Nexus is the CDJ at 95% of CDJ venues
MykeeT 7:51 AM - 21 September, 2016
I've found that it's much more stable than 1.9.2 with the Denon MCX 8000/MacOSX 10.11.6 and love that you can now use all 8 sample pads - Nice Job - Happy Bunny....
Hotvol 12:05 PM - 21 September, 2016
will i like it and i was did this manually using serato + ableton.

when i link it with ableton the cpu overload . when you gona release the 1.9.3 i like beta but beta overload my cpu then lagging
djwestlmp 7:52 PM - 21 September, 2016
Please Serato I have problems with serato dj 1.9.2 I use the pioneer dj ddj-sx2 with a hp laptop i have all the specifications for serato dj and the ddj sx2 so heres my problem when i am djing at home or at a party when i use a fx sampler it freezes for like a qucik second and when i turn the fx knob to the right i know its not my laptop because my friend who also djs he has the same problem can you please try and fix this :/
Hotvol 4:21 AM - 22 September, 2016
Quote:
Please Serato I have problems with serato dj 1.9.2 I use the pioneer dj ddj-sx2 with a hp laptop i have all the specifications for serato dj and the ddj sx2 so heres my problem when i am djing at home or at a party when i use a fx sampler it freezes for like a qucik second and when i turn the fx knob to the right i know its not my laptop because my friend who also djs he has the same problem can you please try and fix this :/

upgrade your ram
Entro 9:21 PM - 22 September, 2016
So with Link, can you use Sync between two different laptops running SDJ with two different controllers? For changeovers?
LinkDeck 2:20 AM - 24 September, 2016
So, I think I have an idea how you can have a Serato "bridge" type setup with this new update. The only thing is that it does require an additional soundcard and a mixer/controller that has midi mappable faders/knobs.

First, connect your controller/mixer and an additional audio interface. if you are running on a mac, you will need to setup a multiple soundcard interface in your audio/midi settings in Mac OS. Sync Serato DJ to ableton using the new link functionality and setup the midi mapping for your controller/mixer to the faders and knobs you want to use. Hard pan the two tracks you want to use on your mixer to full L and full R. Run master out or booth out from your mixer/controller to the additional audio interface. Setup two audio tracks in Ableton with the audio hard panned L and R. I think this should give you a fully functional bridge-like setup. Only issue is that you can't individually pan tracks in Ableton. I can't test this right now, so could be wrong but I think it should work.
sbronte 12:55 AM - 25 September, 2016
I have been playing around with this- I have got Ableton and Serato linked, and running through the same laptop and connected to a Denon MCX8000.

Initially the Ableton was playing through the controller and syncing/ playing nicely with serato.

I mapped a few controls to a separate MIDI keyboard but then it was a bit disjointed so I have mapped basic controls it to a channel on the controller- seems to be going OK for now.

Will be a while before I feel confident enough to use this setup out- not sure what will do to CPU, but definitely been interesting exploring and the possibilities are pretty exciting.
saichthedj 9:07 AM - 29 September, 2016
after upgrading to serato dj1.9.3 my serato keeps on crashing.am using a pioneer ddjsx2 once i plug it to my PC dell latitude E6410 and power it up without connecting my external hard drive it works fine but after i connect the hard drive serato crashes.what could be the problem?
DJ Sonny D 3:00 PM - 6 October, 2016
I am trying to get Ableton to follow Serato using Link. When I change the tempo of the track I am playing I lose the Link between Serato and Ableton. Is it possible to do extreme tempo changes in Serato and have Ableton's tempo follow via the Link?
DjWillNye 3:16 AM - 11 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

I have been having the same issue ever since the 1.9.2 update. I swapped out ram thinking it could be the issue, but it is indeed not the ram issue. I also done a complete system wipe and fresh driver install. I think it might be a glitch in the code. I'm using a ddj-s1 with latest firmware installed.
DjWillNye 3:11 PM - 13 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

I have been having the same issue ever since the 1.9.2 update. I swapped out ram thinking it could be the issue, but it is indeed not the ram issue. I also done a complete system wipe and fresh driver install. I think it might be a glitch in the code. I'm using a ddj-s1 with latest firmware installed.

Ran a few tests. Tested 1.90, 1.92, and 1.93. Only stable version was 1.90. Fresh windows 10 install on all tests. Done all available optimizations and Upgraded ram. CPU usage while idle running serato DJ 1.93 shows 33% for its process. CPU usage while running 1.90 at idle shows only 12%. Tested effects and no glitching and dropouts in 1.90. Guess no abelton link and the extra banks in the sampler for me until either I can afford new equipment or serato fixes the bug in the software.
djwestlmp 11:23 PM - 14 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

Ran a few tests. Tested 1.90, 1.92, and 1.93. Only stable version was 1.90. Fresh windows 10 install on all tests. Done all available optimizations and Upgraded ram. CPU usage while idle running serato DJ 1.93 shows 33% for its process. CPU usage while running 1.90 at idle shows only 12%. Tested effects and no glitching and dropouts in 1.90. Guess no abelton link and the extra banks in the sampler for me until either I can afford new equipment or serato fixes the bug in the software.

Exactly everything was good until 1.9.1 dropped and it messed up the Fx's Section but we cant do nothing anout it right?
DJLLOYDLIVE 1:07 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

Exactly everything was good until 1.9.1 dropped and it messed up the Fx's Section but we cant do nothing anout it right?

That is true. I confirmed it today and I have downgraded to 1.9.0. It is very smooth and responds fast than higher versions.
djwestlmp 10:10 PM - 17 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

That is true. I confirmed it today and I have downgraded to 1.9.0. It is very smooth and responds fast than higher versions.
How did you downgrade?
Oscar87 4:28 AM - 31 October, 2016
Surely Serato should release a demo instructional video or at least some other form of detailed and comprehensive instruction showing us how to operate the "Link" to use Serato DJ together with Ableton Live.

Judging from the number of comments in this thread, there are clearly many questions that could be answered by doing this!

It would be very interesting to see the creative potential of this function at work displayed in a demo video.

Thanks in advance!
AKIEM 7:27 AM - 31 October, 2016
Yeah. I would like to see some work flow. So far I don't see how you can use it very effectively. When you load a track Link 'restarts' conforming to the 'Link session' instead of 'staying on' and setting the new BPM.

When you load a track it has to act like the 'new master' instead of conforming to the established BPM.

hope this gets worked out.

Unless there is a workflow I don't understand.
dj_big_bera 9:38 PM - 5 November, 2016
AKIEM,

I did some testing and I believe you have to uncheck "Maintain Sync on Track Load" in DJ preferences, this clears the Link from the newly loaded track and the last linked track becomes the Master.
AKIEM 3:45 PM - 6 November, 2016
Quote:
AKIEM,

I did some testing and I believe you have to uncheck "Maintain Sync on Track Load" in DJ preferences, this clears the Link from the newly loaded track and the last linked track becomes the Master.

Thanks for looking into it. But the issue is actually a problem for DVS, mostly.

Being able to use Link without Sync is the issue.
dj_big_bera 8:07 PM - 6 November, 2016
Thanks for the quick reply, seems that my issue is unrelated to this. I'm running a DDJ-SR with Serato 1.9.3 on a 2015 rMBP with Sierra and I found some interesting behaviour when using Link without Ableton running. You wouldn't normally do this, of course, but I had exited Ableton without turning off Link in Serato and noticed that the highest numbered deck with Link enabled on it (i.e. Deck 4) sets the beat and if it is paused actually stops the tempo. If the master deck is restarted it actually sets a new tempo position so that all lower now have to sync to it. Not sure if anyone else is noticing this.
sugaman 7:19 PM - 10 November, 2016
Is it possible to sync serato dj by using link and the pioneer sp-16 toraiz sampler?
DJLLOYDLIVE 3:24 PM - 15 December, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

upgrade your ram

How did you downgrade?

Just go to the Serato archive and you will see the links to download the previous versions. That was how I downgraded. Now, 1.9.5 is out and I am going to install it now. If I test play using 1.9.5 and I notice any bugs, I will downgrade again.
DJ Sonny D 2:33 AM - 17 December, 2016
Anyone know why Ableton is exactly 2x the tempo of Serato? I can't get it any other way.
Kismet 3:34 AM - 20 April, 2017
Quote:
So with Link, can you use Sync between two different laptops running SDJ with two different controllers? For changeovers?

If you are connected to 1 SL4 then yes that is possible
DJOPAXray 6:52 AM - 22 June, 2017
I am using a Macbook PRO 2,3Ghz Core i7 and 16GB and the moment I turn on LINK to sync my Ableton live 9 with Serato 1.9.6 the sound of the Serato sound bad. If I run both without the LINK check it sounds all fine. Any idea
Bobby_BanGers 2:48 AM - 13 November, 2017
Was this issue ever resolved? I’m having the same problem. Serato DJ is actually freezing to the point where it needs to be restarted. There is no indication of Either USB dropout OR CPU overload. Running older ableton software (9.2) sans “Link” at 32-Bit seems to work better, but still drops out In some time. I’m using a Late 2013 MBP w/ a Quad core i7 processor.

System requirements are much much lower than that.
DJOPAXray 10:10 AM - 19 March, 2018
I've been busy to really got it tested. The last time I used Ableton it looked OK. Will try when I have time, but a real solution from Serato never came to my opinion, only try this and that regarding performance. I never tried to run Ableton on a separate laptop, which in general is not a solution to carry an extra laptop for a performance