Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Problems with varying volumes and redlining

winniethebish 8:16 PM - 7 September, 2016
Okay, i'm pretty new to all this and the solution might be simple, who knows. But anyways, my problem is that sometimes I'll find two tracks that I'd like to play next to each other and track number 2 is lower in volume than track number 1, so that when I'm fully over on track number 2 there is a noticeable drop in volume. The thing is, I can't raise the volume on track number 2 on the software or turn trim to 1 o'clock on the controller without it making it redline on the controller, which is a DDJ-SX2 btw (on the Serato software, track 1 will probably be at the last green bar before hitting yellow, while track 2 will be about two green bars below that...still they'll show as ''equal'' on the controller).

I've read in different threads, and what I've picked up here and there is that sometimes people will leave the channel faders a little below maximum so that when they're about to play a track they know is lower in volume than the one before, they'll bump that channel fader up so there's no drop in volume. I tried this, and it does work, but what I would like to know is if there is any other/better way of doing this? Maybe it's just me, but I'd like to keep the channel faders at max all the time and not really touch them. Can I just say ''F... this, I'll turn up the volume on the software and don't care if it shows that I'm redlining on the controller''?. I should mention that I always go through all my tracks in my collection and set the volume on Serato DJ so that all of them reach the last yellow bar on the controller, but never go over. The tracks I have this problem with are also almost always in the same genre and same style btw, so it's not as if I'm mixing death metal on track 1 and a flute solo on track 2. One is just quieter than the other (it's also quieter than my other tracks in my collection, so it's not a case of track number 1 being loud AF. It's definitely that track number 2 is quieter/lower in volume compared to the rest.

I'm in no way a sound expert or DJ veteran, like I said I'm new to this, so all help is appreciated!
spike12 9:09 PM - 7 September, 2016
I think the master volume in the software will lower the levels on your channels, so you can try reducing that and then bring up your trims to compensate without redlining.

Goodluck!
Hanginon 9:44 PM - 7 September, 2016
I think you are dealing with two different problems.

The "redlining" is a gain setting problem. There are tons of topics on this, both here, and on other forums. Suffice it to say, it is a lot easier set your gains once you have dealt with your second problem, varying volumes.

We are all getting files from multiple source - Amazon, iTunes, ripping from CD's, etc., etc. The volumes are all over the place. Unfortunately, IMHO, the "Auto Gain" in SDJ (for whatever reason) just doesn't work on some files, so you need something else to normalize the gains. I use Mp3Gain, some use Platinum Notes, or you can batch Normalize in Audacity. I'm sure there are plenty of others.
Detroitbootybass 10:16 PM - 7 September, 2016
www.rane.com

Basically, never-ever clip (running the meters into the red) your audio - it sounds like shit... especially for digital audio.
DJ Tecniq 1:32 AM - 8 September, 2016
The problem I have with auto-gain I have rescanned my entire library at 92 db. I thought this would set my gain meters in SDJ at 12 o clock. Sadly it does "not" do this it is more like 2 notches below for me which in return causes me to always bump up the track gain more. I would prefer all my tracks stay at 12 o clock gain I have yet to figure this out. I wish SDJ's master output level worked like Scratchlive did where the turning up/down the master output it would affect the overall track gains as well. Not the case. I have noticed the LED meters are super sensitive esp to songs that have bass tones. To put it more bluntly it doesn't work right.
Knockz 1:58 AM - 8 September, 2016
I use to use the auto gain feature in SDJ but found the volumes were still all over the place. Frequently I would run across a track that was too loud.

I started to use MP3Gain and disabled the SDJ auto gain and so far I have had much better results. My volumes are way more consistent.

You might want to give that a try.
DJ Tecniq 4:23 AM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
I use to use the auto gain feature in SDJ but found the volumes were still all over the place. Frequently I would run across a track that was too loud.

I started to use MP3Gain and disabled the SDJ auto gain and so far I have had much better results. My volumes are way more consistent.

You might want to give that a try.
Thanks I will check out mp3gain just curious how many files can it do at a time?
LJ_WOOLSEY 8:52 AM - 8 September, 2016
Ya with SX2 set your auto gain to 89db that should do it and your gains between 11-12 should then be good.
Knockz 12:22 PM - 8 September, 2016
Quote:
Thanks I will check out mp3gain just curious how many files can it do at a time?

I think it does only one at a time, but you can load it up with your library and let it run over night. Or just try it on a small part of your library and see. The changes it makes are non destructive and reversible if needed.

Also remember to turn off the auto gain in SDJ or it will try to apply a gain on files already done and then your volumes are way out of wack.
winniethebish 4:10 PM - 8 September, 2016
Thanks for all the replies and advice, I'll try them all and hear what works.
winniethebish 5:22 PM - 9 September, 2016
Okay, I've tried some of your suggestions, and I'm curious about some things:

1. For starters, is it important to manually set the gains so that you ''max'' out the volume (by this I mean so that the song reaches the last yellow bar on your controller but not going over into red/clipping?). For example, if I set the gains on Mp3Gain to 89 db, I could probably not give a f... about worrying about clipping on most songs and not have to re-analyze them. However, If I set them to 90 db, I would probably be closer to the ''max'', but I know I would be clipping on the snare hits of some songs, so I'd have to re-analyze them by listening through ALL the songs over again and manually tweak the gains on Serato DJ a bit. For me, setting the gains to 89 db seems like the easy way out, and saves you work. If I set it to 90 db or 91 db it will probably get me closer to ''max'' but it also gives me a lot more work, and in my case, re-doing a lot of work as I previously had manually tweaked the gains on Serato DJ on EACH AND EVERY song.

2. I know clipping is a no-no, but as i wrote above, on most songs the red only flashes briefly when the snare hits, then goes back to yellow. Most times, it's not even on every snare. It's not as if I'm seeing constant red throughout the song. But is this still bad? Or is it accepable?
Detroitbootybass 6:02 PM - 9 September, 2016
Any red signals mean you are clipping. All clipping (especially clipping of digital audio) is bad.
DJ Tecniq 6:13 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
Any red signals mean you are clipping. All clipping (especially clipping of digital audio) is bad.
I thought this same thing but I have since turned auto gain off at 93 db and it gets my levels how I like them with my pioneer s9 some tracks the gain just peaks in the red however the audio is perfectly fine nor is it distorted I just the the LED meters are overly sensitive unlike anything I've seen in Scratchlive. Seems to me the audio with auto gain off is more cleaner and crisp and with auto gain on there's a slight decrease in crisp clean sound. I tested this at the club last night and noticed there is less high's/treble with auto gain on. I just keep it off to me it just sounds better but that's just me.
DJ Tecniq 6:14 PM - 9 September, 2016
The = think
winniethebish 6:46 PM - 9 September, 2016
Quote:
I just the the LED meters are overly sensitive unlike anything I've seen in Scratchlive.

Yeah, that's pretty much why i ask about this. The sound doesn't sound distorted at all, and I mean, on most songs it's usually on 2 or 3 snare hits in the ENTIRE song, IF that. I mean, we are talking about not even one second of audio here. Do you sacrifice some of the volume by nudging the gain back a bit for those 2 or 3 snare hits in the peaking/loud section of the song (imagine a typical trap song after the drop) or do you just leave it there? And really, do drunk people in the club really f...... care? Would they even notice? I get your stance on this Detroitbootybass, but I would like to know how others feel about this too. I've never played for a crowd/in a club/bar before, but I've been to many clubs and not once have I or anyone else I know been like ''Yeah, that snare was definitely redlining, the DJ fucked up on that one''. I would MAYBE notice if the DJ was redlining the shit out of every song, but then again, maybe not, I'm no expert. So I'm genuinely curious to know how the rest of you feel.

Thanks to all of you for replying BTW!