DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Differences in JBL PRX 700 series vs PRX 800 series.

DJ SL1 6:53 PM - 7 September, 2016
So I just lucked out and bought all new JBL PRX setup, tops and bottoms and saved a few bucks, after calling back complaining and having the company price match. So I guess the deal was bc the 800 series was coming out. My question is what are the differences besides the phone app? And is the phone app a make it or break it issue? Is it worth the extra cost? Are the amps that much better bc they are with crown now (even though they are not crown branded)? Were mine made with crown in the mix at all?
skinnyguy 7:35 PM - 7 September, 2016
variable fans on 800 vs constant fans on 700. a bit of noise which is overpowered when you play music or someone speaks on the mic.
DJ SL1 2:02 PM - 29 September, 2016
anyone have any updates?
DYNASTY_1112 9:11 PM - 13 November, 2016
Quote:
anyone have any updates?

I just bought a pair myself. I think the 800 is better because you EQ the sound better thru the App. Let me know if you get anymore info thanks
djnonstopla323 3:26 AM - 3 December, 2016
Any updates does the JBL PRX818XLFW Sound better louder than the 718xlf is it worth the $400 more need help deciding.
djnonstopla323 11:02 AM - 6 December, 2016
Anyone? I really don't care about the wireless in the 800s so is it worth it. Also will the cover for the prx818 fit the 718 since the 718 was discontinued. Help guys
Joee 12:32 AM - 7 December, 2016
jbl prx 700 12" & 800 12" both use the same low recency drive & the same compression driver & are similar in size

this leads me to believe they are the same speaker wit the addition of app control on the 800
djnonstopla323 3:57 AM - 7 December, 2016
Quote:
jbl prx 700 12" & 800 12" both use the same low recency drive & the same compression driver & are similar in size

this leads me to believe they are the same speaker wit the addition of app control on the 800

Do you think the Ev 18 ekx will be a better choice
Asu 12:57 AM - 22 December, 2016
Quote:
Do you think the Ev 18 ekx will be a better choice

The PRX 700/800 are on ETX levels performance wise, not EKX
Johnnynights 4:04 AM - 10 February, 2017
I picked up 1 jbl prx818 xlf and i havent gigged with it yet but it does sound really good i havent messed with the app settings though..

I use a yorkville ls801p sub with the srx815p but i think ill be using this prx818 sub since its way lighter than the yorkie.

If anyone has one how you guys liking it??
Asu 1:03 AM - 18 February, 2017
Quote:
I picked up 1 jbl prx818 xlf and i havent gigged with it yet but it does sound really good i havent messed with the app settings though..

I use a yorkville ls801p sub with the srx815p but i think ill be using this prx818 sub since its way lighter than the yorkie.

If anyone has one how you guys liking it??

Should be the same excellent quality as the 718XLF...seems they only added wireless...amp is the same and probably drivers....personally i'm getting the new Cerwin Vega CVX 18" which is QSC KW181 size but thumps real hard with that deep Cerwin Vega Bass.....if you have a truck etc the CVX21 21" is the better deal.
Johnnynights 7:24 AM - 18 February, 2017
Nice..to be honest i dont like the wireless eq i dont really mess with it on live gigs..i would prefer if its just on back of the sub..im loving the sub though..

Mmm nice i will take a look at them...i had a pair of the cva121 back in the day.
Dj Atom Blast 1:40 AM - 6 March, 2017
I just wanted to say that I love my PRX 525's, i have never gotten compliments like I have with these things. QSC k series. EV, nothing portable anyway. My buddy bought 625s and they do compare to the crisp clean pounding of mine. If you can find a set for under 1600 id jump on them..i beat the brakes off of them too.
Dj Atom Blast 1:42 AM - 6 March, 2017
Quote:
I just wanted to say that I love my PRX 525's, i have never gotten compliments like I have with these things. QSC k series. EV, nothing portable anyway. My buddy bought 625s and they do compare to the crisp clean pounding of mine. If you can find a set for under 1600 id jump on them..i beat the brakes off of them too.

Do NOT compare...They are lighter for sure, i wish they still made these in the 825 series, maybe Its the cabinet design. Not sure
Asu 12:03 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
I just wanted to say that I love my PRX 525's, i have never gotten compliments like I have with these things

Dude, the PRX stuff is amazing...they are also freakin loud especially when high passed...i love PRX reliability and how loud they get vs pricepoint.it's nice playing loud and not seeing the limit light vs say the EV ETX....PRX700's are now cheap since 800's are out...great steal.
DJKayce 3:41 AM - 9 March, 2017
Quote:
.personally i'm getting the new Cerwin Vega CVX 18" which is QSC KW181 size but thumps real hard with that deep Cerwin Vega Bass.....if you have a truck etc the CVX21 21" is the better deal.

Have you heard them in person?
I was reading somewhere in manual that the sub will turn off if you push them really hard.
Asu 12:24 AM - 10 March, 2017
Have you heard them in person?
I was reading somewhere in manual that the sub will turn off if you push them really hard.

Most decent powered speakers will go into protect mode when you push them like crazy to keep the drivers safe....i personally use a drive rack to keep things further in check....but i also keep an eye on my levels...the mixer you use also matters...Pioneer stuff runs hotter signals, while Rane is more balanced and runs cleaner.

Yes they're deeper than QSC KW181at about the same size box...my shipment was actually sent out today....will update.
DJKayce 1:03 AM - 10 March, 2017
Quote:
Yes they're deeper than QSC KW181at about the same size box...my shipment was actually sent out today....will update.

Please do after a couple of use. Thanks
BBEgo 4:18 PM - 13 April, 2017
That "legendary" Cerwin Vega bass is long-expired street cred from the 80's.

I haven't seen or heard anything from CV worthy of that level of hype in decades. Perhaps the new crop of gear is attempting to regain such status. I hope it is. I don't know what the new stuff sounds like, but IMO CV has a lot of work to do if they want to own the legendary status they earned all those years ago.
Asu 5:42 PM - 14 April, 2017
Quote:
That "legendary" Cerwin Vega bass is long-expired street cred from the 80's.

The gear is actually good especially the subs CVX series....i got the 18" CVX sub, comes with wheels and is about the size of the KW181...goes real deep...it's in stores now and you should be able to Demo it....they have also powered some of their folded horns...for club owners...they have a line specifically for that as well...maybe the good ol days are back...InMusic or someone bought Cerwin Vega so it's not the old broke company lol
DJ Joe K 7:53 PM - 15 October, 2017
I have a pair of SRX815P. I'm using one SRM1850 Mackie Sub. Using a DDJ-SZ with Serato DJ (Lates software update).

I'm not sure what it is, but last few few weeks, I'm getting a weaker signal from my sub when going controller, to sub and high pass to tops. Last night, I had to go to the tops first, and the speakers are getting a muffled sound. It looks like Serato is hitting the limiter in the application itself. I have the gains at 12 O'clock. I'm not even sure how to bring it down, because the gain doesn't seem to really control that signal.

Really frustrating. I have a large wedding today, and I'm stressed over the equipment instead of just focusing on the music. Such a pain and very frustrating.
Asu 5:23 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:
Last night, I had to go to the tops first, and the speakers are getting a muffled sound. It looks like Serato is hitting the limiter in the application itself. I have the gains at 12 O'clock. I'm not even sure how to bring it down, because the gain doesn't seem to really control that signal

have you checked all your filters? happened to me before....also set your software channels to 11 o'clock...and the master at 1-2'oclock... in the software...all should be ok...the levels in the software will affect sound output for sure and that limit light.

You gotta set it up right in the software first.,then do the rest of your volume on the controller/Mixer
DJ Joe K 7:10 PM - 18 October, 2017
Quote:

have you checked all your filters? happened to me before....also set your software channels to 11 o'clock...and the master at 1-2'oclock... in the software...all should be ok...the levels in the software will affect sound output for sure and that limit light.

You gotta set it up right in the software first.,then do the rest of your volume on the controller/Mixer

But each song is at different levels. Do you keep ever thing set that way in the software? I'll have to check when I get home.

I'm curious, do you have auto gain turned on or off?
Arjun B 12:20 AM - 19 October, 2017
You should have auto-gain on, and either set to the recommended level or a little lower...
That would explain your "but each song is at different levels". Thats why auto-gain is there, to make sure each song is a consistent level.
Asu 10:59 PM - 23 October, 2017
Quote:
You should have auto-gain on, and either set to the recommended level or a little lower...
That would explain your "but each song is at different levels". Thats why auto-gain is there, to make sure each song is a consistent level.

yup
DJ Joe K 11:32 PM - 2 January, 2018
I have autogain on, I think I have it set to around 89db. I set my track gains in the serato application to green. My channel gains on the ddh-sz has to be set to like 10 o'clock to avoid going into the red. But to get enough volume out, my master on the controller has to be set to about 3 o'clock. If I get to 2 yellows or more, the tracks become distorted pretty quick.
Asu 6:18 AM - 6 January, 2018
set autogain to 91-92 in Serato DJ,89 is too low from my tests.Leave everything else the same...master should be at 2 O'clock and no more with these settings.If you use powered speakers.set them to unity gain 12 O'clock, max 2 O'clock or +3db if playing loud.

I've had excellent results with this setup.keeps the signal clean and I never see that red software light.Your laptop specs also do matter...if the CPU is overtaxed or latency set too low, you'll see that light and have some issues...set it to 5ms especially if you're not a scratch DJ.lower than 5ms settings will tax the hell out of your CPU especially when doing video too.
DJ Joe K 6:57 AM - 6 January, 2018
I finally figured out my issue. The srx series has an input of Line 1, Consumer & Mic. I had it set at Line 1. I had to change it to Consumer. Once I did that, the speaker was nice and loud. Did even notice the setting because it's at the channel, not the main setting.