DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Recording Time.

Marcus J Malloy 11:37 PM - 2 September, 2016
Hello everyone.

Is there a time limit to how long you can record on Serato DJ?

Reason i ask is, I done a Podcast today & my mix was around 55mins long & the guest mix was 90mins. It all recorded fine, but when I've played it back, its missed off 25mins?Its then put the missing part of the mix in a separate folder saying "serato recording 1"

So how can i get to have a full podcast, without it getting chopped?

Thanks

Marc
d:raf 3:42 AM - 3 September, 2016
This happens when I record long sets. I usually just butt them together in an audio editor and export as an Mp3
eugguy 8:59 AM - 3 September, 2016
Another reason to love SSL...I can record 4+ hour sets straight.
Marv Incredible 9:44 AM - 3 September, 2016
There's a 2GB file size limit on certain Operating Systems, Disk Formats and 32-bit applications. This is likely to be the reason. The way Serato gets around this is to split your recordings, as you've discovered. You'll have to stitch the files back together as d:raf has suggested.
Marcus J Malloy 10:23 AM - 3 September, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

The stitching sounds a bit of a nightmare & is putting me right off having serato DJ. If i knew that there was a limit, i would of looked at getting something else.
Marcus J Malloy 10:27 AM - 3 September, 2016
Quote:
There's a 2GB file size limit on certain Operating Systems, Disk Formats and 32-bit applications. This is likely to be the reason. The way Serato gets around this is to split your recordings, as you've discovered. You'll have to stitch the files back together as d:raf has suggested.

What about changing from WAV to AIFF for long recordings? Will that work?
Marv Incredible 10:44 AM - 3 September, 2016
Quote:
If i knew that there was a limit, i would of looked at getting something else.

What, you mean like a different DJ program? I'm not sure how some of the others handle large files but you'd probably have the same problem. Plus, stitching audio files together is not difficult at all. Seems like a trite reason to change DJ programs.

Quote:

Same deal.
Marcus J Malloy 11:08 AM - 3 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
If i knew that there was a limit, i would of looked at getting something else.

What, you mean like a different DJ program? I'm not sure how some of the others handle large files but you'd probably have the same problem. Plus, stitching audio files together is not difficult at all. Seems like a trite reason to change DJ programs.

Quote:

Same deal.

Ah no probs, well i'll just have to get guest mixes under 1 hour then haha. Thanks.
CMOS 4:28 PM - 3 September, 2016
Can you line up two rectangles next to each other and then click 3 buttons?

If so you can "stitch" the mixes back together. It really takes like 1 minute to do.
DJ LP730 6:30 PM - 4 September, 2018
I know I'm late to this discussion but I've recently encountered a problem. I use scratch live by the way. i just started recording internally because I want to have longer mixes than what the cd format allows. Anyway, the first time I recorded, the mix was 154 minutes. It was all 1 folder. Second time was fine as well but now when I record, it's only giving me about 110 minutes before it creates another folder. Why is that? Also, I can record in wav instead of aaif?Is there a setting in serato that will allow me to switch?
D Jay Cee 10:29 PM - 4 September, 2018
Quote:
I know I'm late to this discussion but I've recently encountered a problem. I use scratch live by the way. i just started recording internally because I want to have longer mixes than what the cd format allows. Anyway, the first time I recorded, the mix was 154 minutes. It was all 1 folder. Second time was fine as well but now when I record, it's only giving me about 110 minutes before it creates another folder. Why is that? Also, I can record in wav instead of aaif?Is there a setting in serato that will allow me to switch?

Yes. You can choose WAV. I always use it because it is lossless and allows me to edit later with a minimal amount of post-edit fidelity.

When possible, I use wav or flac files to mix some of my older music. Save to wav and then post online as MP3. Hardly any loss at all.