DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

I don't want to buy all my music and I'm not sold on Pulselocker...

mvzix 10:11 PM - 1 September, 2016
So, what are my other options... I can't afford to buy all of my music from iTunes but i still need a lot of music (Pop top 40, EDM (all genres, newer and older), and maybe some classics)
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:03 AM - 2 September, 2016
Record poosl - do the math $30/50 per month vs '.99 / $1.29

You break even if you get 40-50 tracks you need

There is no easy way to a tight music library, it's never ending
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 4:04 AM - 2 September, 2016
Oops Pools - damn iPhone
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:19 AM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:
So, what are my other options...

I hear journaling is big now adays
577er 2:32 PM - 2 September, 2016
"I don't want to buy... I need a lot of music" And of course you want free advice on how to solve this problem! Lol.
Versipellis 3:50 PM - 2 September, 2016
I mean, feel free to illegally download and rip all of your music if you'd like. The only thing it'd cost you is the respect of your fellow DJs ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Sorry man, spending money on music is part and parcel of this business, /especially/ if you play a lot of Top 40. Underground stuff you can get by by trawling through Soundcloud free downloads.
Antonio Essex 6:38 PM - 2 September, 2016
Then please don't clog the game with your laziness/ cheapness. By saying you don't want to pay for your music you already lost respect from all of us real djs who put time, effort , and money behind this. Bezzle get him!undercutter douche right here
Antonio Essex 6:46 PM - 2 September, 2016
I did a wedding last Saturday. Guess how many songs I had to buy because I didn't have them or didn't want to play a shitty version off YouTube? Spent $25 on iTunes. I invest $25 per month on my record pool and $10 on Spotify also. I did for remixes or new releases ever weds. nite so I'm ready like the next DJ.Your library is what seperates you from the undercutters that got their new Mac and $300 numark controller. Rant over, good luck dude
Antonio Essex 6:47 PM - 2 September, 2016
Meant I dig every weds.
DJ Reflex 9:45 PM - 4 September, 2016
Tried all that free crap back in the days of Napster...

Now I'm paying to have all those songs redone because of low quality and junk files. Just start buying your music right and you'll never regret any past mistakes.

Music/DJ pools are a good place to start though.
Mr. Goodkat 5:06 AM - 5 September, 2016
russian sites
DJ Remix Detroit 2:51 PM - 5 September, 2016
the dark web
AddamXavier 3:41 PM - 5 September, 2016
Quote:
I did a wedding last Saturday. Guess how many songs I had to buy because I didn't have them or didn't want to play a shitty version off YouTube? Spent $25 on iTunes. I invest $25 per month on my record pool and $10 on Spotify also. I did for remixes or new releases ever weds. nite so I'm ready like the next DJ.Your library is what seperates you from the undercutters that got their new Mac and $300 numark controller. Rant over, good luck dude

It's funny you mention this, I'm looking at $50+ in music for my next wedding. Records pools don't tend to make sense for that type of stuff unfortunately (mostly country & live/original versions).

It's one thing if you are DJing in your bedroom, but if you are playing out (and for money), you are only as professional as you act. And not being willing to pay for your music says a lot.

Quote:
Tried all that free crap back in the days of Napster...

Now I'm paying to have all those songs redone because of low quality and junk files. Just start buying your music right and you'll never regret any past mistakes.

Music/DJ pools are a good place to start though.

Also this. I still have music in my library (that i would never play now) from back in those days and they just clutter your library up and get in the way
BlaxSociety 5:19 PM - 5 September, 2016
Quote:

my numark controller was over 1,000 USD...
BlaxSociety 5:23 PM - 5 September, 2016
digitaldjpool.com they are one of the cheapest. 12/mnth. i agree with most of what was said on here.besides the sarcasm and nut shit. everything else is spot on. for those who claim this respect thing from other dj's yadda yadda. who care as long as one never disrespects you thats all that matters. B
djdonny007 6:53 PM - 5 September, 2016
I read this thread from the start and also agree with a lot that has been said. 1 of the problems nowadays is that almost everything is downloadable from the net. I can remember the very 1st record i bought were afrika bambaata on vinyl.

I built a good portion of my music library from songs which i bought from fellow dj's out of respect for the hard work and sacrifices they made to get it.

Respect is the keyword in the dj industry. If you don't have it then you ain't got shit.
djdonny007 7:05 AM - 6 September, 2016
Quote:
"I don't want to buy... I need a lot of music" And of course you want free advice on how to solve this problem! Lol.

I will slap you for free
mvzix 12:15 PM - 23 September, 2016
I'm not saying that I don't want to support all of the djs and producers out there right now...I just wanted to know better options to pulselocker, if there are any. I'm just not able to afford to buy every single song for 1.29$ at this point in my career, especially because I am just starting out. I didn't mean any disrespect and I never said anything about getting the music free or illegally. Thanks.
Dj-M.Bezzle 1:54 PM - 23 September, 2016
Quote:
I'm not saying that I don't want to support all of the djs and producers out there right now...I just wanted to know better options to pulselocker, if there are any. I'm just not able to afford to buy every single song for 1.29$ at this point in my career, especially because I am just starting out. I didn't mean any disrespect and I never said anything about getting the music free or illegally. Thanks.

Quote:
Record poosl - do the math $30/50 per month vs '.99 / $1.29

You break even if you get 40-50 tracks you need

There is no easy way to a tight music library, it's never ending