Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Mixed In Key as Key Detection

KayPlaya 3:07 AM - 23 August, 2016
I may have missed it in my search, but is there a way for Serato DJ to show Mixed In Key results in the Key column instead of its own native key detection results? A lot of times the two yield different results and I would prefer using Mixed In Key's results but haven't found out how to display the information in the loaded track section next to BPM
Konix 2:48 PM - 23 August, 2016
If you have Mixed In Key set to write the key to the tag, then it should show in Serato DJ.

I'd advise you uncheck the analyze key option when you're analyzing files in Serato DJ so it doesn't write Serato's own key and uses whatever Mixed In Key put.
deejdave 11:31 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
I'd advise you uncheck the analyze key option when you're analyzing files in Serato DJ so it doesn't write Serato's own key and uses whatever Mixed In Key put.

GREAT advice. Not a lesson you want to learn after importing all your tracks LOL.
KayPlaya 12:17 AM - 24 August, 2016
Didn't want to over explain in order to keep my question simple. I'm aware that Mixed In Key displays the key in SeratoDJ. The problem is I recently unchecked the read iTunes library on accident. When I rechecked it, Serato reanalyzed all of my files and I was unaware I had the analyze key option checked. I know that SeratoDJ key detection takes precedent over Mixed In Key as I can tell on how it displays my keys.

The reason I'm asking is because it looks like SeratoDJ puts the key information in the Key field specifically, where as mixed in Key puts it in my comment field. If SeratoDJ had a way of choosing where to read the key information it would solve the issue.
deejdave 12:30 AM - 24 August, 2016
It reads the key information from the proper tag field though. Probably not the best suggestion to read from Artist, title or comments field for obvious reasons. To be fair this is a mistake not really an issue if you catch my drift as in it is by design and not a bug or unintended behavior. In other words nothing to fix. If you would like something changed then this would be a feature request ......................... which there is NOTHING wrong with having an opinion so don't take this as bullying or me thinking I know better etc. Only trying to help I promise. Just hard to deliver unwanted debate is all :)
KayPlaya 12:37 AM - 24 August, 2016
@DeeJDave. I got you my man. Never said it was an issue or a bug that needs to be fixed. Was just wondering if there where a way for me to force it to read my Mixed in Key results.
DJ Ravien 12:40 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
GREAT advice. Not a lesson you want to learn after importing all your tracks LOL.

Agreed, figured this out the hard way when I forgot to uncheck the box for key detection in serato. Ended up sorting by comment then manually changing the key back to what MIK detected. Wasn't too difficult as I just selected the group of 1A for example then changed them at once but still took unnecessary time
deejdave 12:46 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Agreed, figured this out the hard way when I forgot to uncheck the box for key detection in serato. Ended up sorting by comment then manually changing the key back to what MIK detected. Wasn't too difficult as I just selected the group of 1A for example then changed them at once but still took unnecessary time

Absolutely. As long as the key is in front of the comments/artist/title etc. this will work for all.
KayPlaya 12:48 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Now we're getting somewhere.. Wasn't sure if there would be an issue with manually changing the key field so I didn't even try it. Looks like I'll have to go that route though
deejdave 1:29 AM - 24 August, 2016
None at all. Only advice (my apologies if you already know) would be when batch editing expect some waiting time. Even when it seems like the SW stalled it is actually still writing tags and don't get nervous lol.
Marv Incredible 9:01 AM - 24 August, 2016
No need for hours of manual work. Simply get yourself a tag editor that can copy text from one tag field to another (Like Tag&Rename on the PC). Then simply copy all comments field to key field which will overwrite what Serato's key analysis wrote in there.

Once you've done that, go back to SDJ. Re-scan ID tags. Then go into Setup>Library+Display and select show key as original tag. Job done.