DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Would you guys consider a Mixer and some turntables or CDJs an instrument?

Appleteam 5:54 PM - 22 August, 2016
I've seen a number of interviews with DJs where they mention that they consider a DJ setup (i.e. mixer or controller) and instrument because you can create something new through just mixing songs together and using hot cues and all that fun stuff. I was curious as to what the forums opinion was. I also apologize if there has already been a thread started about this.
Rick G 7:33 PM - 22 August, 2016
I absolutely agree, its not a traditional instrument, but definitely a instrument none the less.
Keep in mind as well that many top DJ's are not creating their own beats as well. Music production has made its way to the live stage. To me anything that can produce music is a instrument.
Mr. Goodkat 7:58 PM - 22 August, 2016
depends on what you are doing while djing.

dj'ing song to song at the end of each, no. playing one tempo all night, nope. using sync, nah.
DJ Ravien 9:49 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:

This!
Rick G 11:54 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
I absolutely agree, its not a traditional instrument, but definitely a instrument none the less.
Keep in mind as well that many top DJ's are not creating their own beats as well. Music production has made its way to the live stage. To me anything that can produce music is a instrument.

yea i agree.... i was answering under this assumption.
Rick G 11:54 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:

dj'ing song to song at the end of each, no. playing one tempo all night, nope. using sync, nah.

meant to quote this..... with above statement
Appleteam 4:30 AM - 23 August, 2016
Like scratching and live mashups and manipulating songs!
Rick G 12:34 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Like scratching and live mashups and manipulating songs!

yes... i mean if you look at the set up the pros bring for example daft punk, how can someone say that does not take a least the same the same skills as say drums or guitar.