DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Bass Boss at the AC DJ Expo

5.8LTrinity 5:23 AM - 19 August, 2016
I just returned from the 2016 DJ Expo in Atlantic City.

Bass Boss of Austin, TX was setup in one of the demo rooms.

FOUR ZV28s and TWO AT312, literally rocked my world. The depth, range, sustain, accuracy, clarity, imaging, punch, power, and quality was unreal. It is like a HiFi system and a tour system had a baby.

Every can light fixture in the demo room came out of the ceiling and was hanging by the MC wiring.

As a serious Bass Head for over 25 years.... deep, seriously deep bass that hits hard, fast, and accurate is what I live for. This Bass Boss rig is what dreams are made of.

The majority of subs I have sampled in the pro audio world seem to lack both sound quality and range, especially in the 20 to 35 Hz frequencies.

I would trade my four EV ETX18SPs for one ZV28 in a NY minute. One ZV28 would smoke the six ETX-18SPs in output, quality, and range.

Even their little DDJ112 Monitors/Tops would walk all over my ETX-35Ps.

David, Lian, and Anton from Bass Boss were outstanding. You can feel their passion. It was a pleasure speaking with them.

Needless to say, I am totally sold and feel giddy like I just met the love of my life.

If anyone is thinking of purchasing multiple powered subs from one the "common" manufacturers.....stop....Arrange a demo with Bass Boss first. I wish I had prior to investing in and expanding my EV rig.

Chris
DJ S kwire 1:26 AM - 22 March, 2018
Anything new on this? Anyone actually invested in Bass Boss and ready to share their experience?
siroc5 12:41 PM - 22 April, 2018
just took the plunge and waiting for my dv12 micromain tops to arrive. Will report once received.
DJ S kwire 3:17 PM - 22 April, 2018
Looking forward to the feedback. I’m considering the dual 8’s.
siroc5 10:03 PM - 8 May, 2018
Hey DJ S kwire
Finally got my DV12 Micromain from BassBoss yesterday. I have 2 EV 12 EKX as tops with two JTR Captivator 212pro as subwoofers. The BassBoss DV12 in full range mode really does make it sound like you have a sub. The bass is not as loud and powerful as my JTR subwoofer but for small events this would do great with no need for sub. Not use to having to plug in active speakers with out a switch. First plugged in the DV12 and you get a rev noise for about 4 to 5 seconds then the noise quits almost making you think it shut itself off. I use a DBX and adjusted for full range mode for the DV12. To feel the thump and air displacement when i place my hand in front of the bottom of the speaker. Couldn't give it a full throttle at home, but looking forward to hear them at my next GIG. Love these speakers and won't be replacing these babies for a long time to come. If aything may want to purchase a second pair for the inverted array feature if I needed to for outdoor or large events.
The Silver Boombox Thief 10:19 PM - 8 May, 2018
I was at Mobile Beat in Vegas and experienced Bass Boss's demo room. Sound was excellent. Way better than what I usually run, but probably not what I need for weddings and the occasional small house party. If I had the $ though, I'd jump on a set up for sure. I also like the look.
What was most impressive was their passion and just being cool in general. I visited all the rooms and the only two companies that said more than hello was Bass Boss and Cerwin Vega. The others couldn't have been any less inviting. Literally, maybe a hello, but most didn't even acknowledge I was in their room. Bass Boss was stoked to talk about their speakers and offer a demo. Real passion.
DJ S kwire 10:55 PM - 8 May, 2018
This is excellent feedback. Looking back at the website, the DV12's are only about $200 per speaker more than the DV8's but almost double the output. Thanks again for the insight. If I get up the nerve to buy these in the near future I'll be sure to post a gig log. All the best fellas.
DJ Reflex 1:30 AM - 28 July, 2018
I just purchased a BassBoss 18" sub. I'll let you guys know what I think when it arrives. I'm currently using 3 QSC HPR181 subs. We'll do a side-by-side comparison!
Johnnynights 1:46 AM - 28 July, 2018
Quote:
I just purchased a BassBoss 18" sub. I'll let you guys know what I think when it arrives. I'm currently using 3 QSC HPR181 subs. We'll do a side-by-side comparison!

What model did you go with?

I look forward to your review.

I own 1 bassboss ssp218 the double 18 and it's one of the best subs I owned out of many...

I compared the 1 ssp118 to my other subs pair of jbl srx818sp, and no matter how much I love my jbl subs the bassboss are in another level.
DJ_Dad 2:28 PM - 28 July, 2018
My SSP118 will arrive next week. I will compare to my modified FBt SUbline 118p subs and post back.
Johnnynights 2:49 PM - 28 July, 2018
Quote:
My SSP118 will arrive next week. I will compare to my modified FBt SUbline 118p subs and post back.

I would like to see what you think about it...that fbt sub you got is a good sub too.
DJ Reflex 1:46 AM - 4 August, 2018
I just put my new BassBoss SSP118 to a side-by-side test with a freind's QSC KW181 and my older HPR181...

BassBoss did go much lower that either of them. The sustained bass in EDM tracks was way more noticeable. It resonated the large room we were in and shook the rafters! QSC seemed louder at a narrow band of frequencies around 63 Hz (on our analyzer). BB was much louder at the lower freqs down to below 30 Hz.

My older HPR181 hit the limiter on some tracks, but both KW and BB had plenty of head room. I was not able to turn it up enough to get them to limit, but the BB sub claims 2500 RMS watt headroom while QSC is rated at 1000 watts. I'd like to push the BB sub to limit and see how far I can go...

BassBoss sub had a lot more clarity. Both QSC models seemed "muddy" and a bit washed out on most of the newer digital tracks. A few older "classic rock" tunes were OK though with good kickdrum on all three subs.

On several songs, the KW181 had audible distortion! It sounded like the cone was flapping around or it was some serious port noise. No such distortion on BB at high volumes.

Overall, the BassBoss sub sounded fuller and clearer than either of the QSC subs. It wasn't the "O-M-G, this is the loudest thing I've ever heard" sub, but it did outperform QSC in certain areas.

I did not get a chance to test cardioid mode yet, but the rep said jusy trun it around and flip the switch. I'll need to get 2 more to mess with this feature.

Cons:
No wheels! BB sells a cart or you could easily mount your own casters, but for now, it's just an immovable box!

It's not any heavier that the QSC models, but squattier. I can dead lift it into my van, but at a goofy angle. The handles are good, but I had to grab it by the ports to maneuver it.

The price! Yup, they're expensive. My buddy will stick with 3 QSC KW subs to the price of my 1 BassBoss. I don't blame him for what he uses them for (live sound mostly). I want EDM, bass pounding, sock-it-to-ya bass at a school dance... so I'll give these a whirl. I plan to buy 2 more this spring.

Hope this helps and I'll do more testing and review in the upcoming weeks.
Rebelguy 5:06 AM - 4 August, 2018
Quote:

It's not any heavier that the QSC models, but squattier. I can dead lift it into my van, but at a goofy angle. The handles are good, but I had to grab it by the ports to maneuver it.

The KW181 is 83lbs. The SSP118 is 125lbs. That's a pretty big difference.
DJ Reflex 5:09 AM - 4 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry - I was comparing it to my HPR 181 at 127 lbs. That's the sub I lift into my truck every weekend! The BassBoss felt right in line with what I already have.
Johnnynights 4:29 AM - 5 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sorry - I was comparing it to my HPR 181 at 127 lbs. That's the sub I lift into my truck every weekend! The BassBoss felt right in line with what I already have.

Hey Dj Reflex how are you liking your ssp118 do you think it was worth it?

I agree with you the bassboss subs hit real low notes...on higher notes even my 2 jbl srx818sp seem like there a bit louder than my ssp218.

I would like to compare a ssp118 to a rcf 9004as and a ssp218 against rcf 9006as...
DJ_Dad 8:43 PM - 5 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree with you the bassboss subs hit real low notes...on higher notes even my 2 jbl srx818sp seem like there a bit louder than my ssp218.

I would like to compare a ssp118 to a rcf 9004as and a ssp218 against rcf 9006as...

According to Bassboss' own charts, the SRX118sp is on par with the SSP118 at 70hz, but the SSP118 is nearly 8db louder at 45hz. Those low frequencies are what separate the men from the boys. It takes a lot more power and better drivers the lower you go.
Johnnynights 10:37 PM - 6 August, 2018
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

According to Bassboss' own charts, the SRX118sp is on par with the SSP118 at 70hz, but the SSP118 is nearly 8db louder at 45hz. Those low frequencies are what separate the men from the boys. It takes a lot more power and better drivers the lower you go.

Yeah on the low frequencies the bassboss sound really good,when I had my yorkille ls801p I would have liked to compared it to a ssp118.

I know for sure the ssp118 would beat on low frequencies but higher frequencies the ls801p might be louder...

I still think the Yorkville ls801p/es18p are one of the loudest subs out there for the money.
DJ Reflex 3:29 AM - 8 August, 2018
I was able to test the BassBoss SSP118 a bit more thoroughly at home today. A buddy of mine came out and we played a track of his with some serious bass. Not only did it shake dust from the rafters, but my friend said he has NEVER heard that song sound as low and as clear as he did today. I'll gig it out this weekend at a wedding, but here's my unofficial review:

Pricey, but serious low end and clarity from a compact enclosure. I think I'll buy 2 more!
DJ GaFFle 12:57 PM - 8 August, 2018
Nice comparisons guys. The BassBoss is definitely a real subwoofer.
Aptidda 5:02 PM - 8 August, 2018
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered 6x SSP118's and 2x DJ112 Micromains and 2x DV12 Micromaings, and 2x SV8 Micromains .

Ill let you guys know how they perform.
Johnnynights 5:47 PM - 8 August, 2018
Quote:
Thanks for the input guys. I just ordered 6x SSP118's and 2x DJ112 Micromains and 2x DV12 Micromaings, and 2x SV8 Micromains .

Ill let you guys know how they perform.

Dam you are going to have one bad ass system lol...yeah for sure I like hearing reviews from many people...i I really want those dv12 tops for my ssp218 but they are pretty pricey.. for now my jbl srx815 do the job.
Johnnynights 6:00 PM - 8 August, 2018
Heres a pic of some bassboss speakers my ssp218 is right there on the bottom..

i51.photobucket.com
DJ_Dad 1:29 AM - 9 August, 2018
Just got my SSP118 today. I only hooked it up for a quick test and couldn't turn it up too loud. I will do a limit test soon and compare to my FBT Subline 118s

Quick observation is that it definitely fills out the lows much better than the FBT subs do. It doesn't seem like it's going to be a lot louder (my guess), but everything sounds so much better with a fuller range of sound. Another observation is that it wasn't nearly as bad to move as I was thinking. I had an EV ETX 18sp sub that I sold because it was way too difficult to move easily. This sub spec wise weighs pretty much the same, but doesn't feel nearly as bad to load or move around. The distribution of weight is very good and there are places to get a hand hold all over the sub. Good design! (This sub sounds much better than the ETX btw, which is still a very good sub)

The sound was just addictive to listen to. I haven't personally listened to a consumer sub that I liked more than this. It's what you want out of a sub for sure. I just need more of it which means I am going to go broke soon. :(
DJ Reflex 2:43 AM - 13 August, 2018
I took my BassBoss SSP118 out on its first gig this last weekend...

Let me back up - I first drilled 16 holes in the back of the cabinet and installed some casters (similar to my old QSCs). Now I can roll it in!

The thing thumped. It literally shook the room with frequencies I've never heard come from my older system. A few guests commented on the sound as well. Dance floor was shakin'.

P.S. BassBoss informed me that I just voided the warranty on the cabinet. LoL
DJ_Dad 3:32 AM - 13 August, 2018
Quote:
I took my BassBoss SSP118 out on its first gig this last weekend...

Let me back up - I first drilled 16 holes in the back of the cabinet and installed some casters (similar to my old QSCs). Now I can roll it in!

The thing thumped. It literally shook the room with frequencies I've never heard come from my older system. A few guests commented on the sound as well. Dance floor was shakin'.

P.S. BassBoss informed me that I just voided the warranty on the cabinet. LoL

I did an outdoor gig this weekend (small crowd) where I didn’t need much bass, but I let the SSP118 breathe a bit. I was in a large park and was getting comments that people were hearing the bass clearly a few fields away from mine. I have never had this level of quality and flexibility from my setup. I have 2 other subs and will be selling them both for one more of these.

The sub is pure power and efficiency. The only knocks I would have on it are it’s input gain flexibility. My earlier comments about it being about the same peak loudness as my fbt subline 118 was due to the fact that this sub requires a hotter input to drive it and I was making the incorrect assumption that the sub was running near its maximum output. Nope. Feed this thing a hot input and it will just keep going. Just something to keep in mind. Try to feed an iPad input into this and you won’t get what you will probably be expecting. Take a quality output from a good mixer and you can crack the ground.

Also, the crossover range is pretty limited (80-100hz) and there is only a single xlr input and output on the sub. Basically, there are zero frills on this piece. It makes bass. A lot of it.
DJ GaFFle 12:00 PM - 13 August, 2018
^^^ Good report, ESPECIALLY on the input gain.
DJ Reflex 6:35 AM - 19 August, 2018
Wowsers! I am again impressed with my SSP118 BassBoss sub. I played "Jump" by Kris Kross and "99 Red Balloons" tonight at a class reunion...

I am hearing (and feeling) notes come out of that thing that I have never heard before. 99 Red Balloons shook the room! Even songs that don't have much bass (older rock tunes) have since woken up with that sub. I have to brighten my top cabinets just to keep up with the thing. Before I had to lower the tops when the sub petered out. Not anymore! I can't wait to get two more. I got some larger event coming up and I want' to rattle the rafters.