Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

When opening serato dj slow to load the crates.

samirdj 5:33 AM - 17 August, 2016
Greetings, greatly appreciate the help in solving this problem, I have a mac book pro 13 "late 2011, i5, 8gb ram 1333, etc ... and the problem is that when you open serato dj, freezes and slow to react after 3min shown crates.
samirdj 6:26 AM - 24 August, 2016
Appreciate some help in this regard, it should be noted that I have no response from Serato DJ team, help is a little slow, not to say too slow.
DJ Stoyvo 1:36 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Greetings, greatly appreciate the help in solving this problem, I have a mac book pro 13 "late 2011, i5, 8gb ram 1333, etc ... and the problem is that when you open serato dj, freezes and slow to react after 3min shown crates.

Sounds like the HDD is starting to go on you... I suggest running diagnostics on the HDD, specifically the spinup and read times.

I also suggest you invest money into an SSD. Thankfully you have an older model, so you can do this yourself.
DJMike_123 UK 12:56 PM - 4 October, 2016
HI I have had the same issue but I have two external drives with the same amount of tracks and folders as one is a back up of the other I did some work on one using my Windows machine the other day and when I connected it back up to my MAC on the evening two things happened (stick with me I think its all relevant)
I booted and the first thing SERATO DJ Ver 1.9.2 did was re scan all the ID's I thought that is strange but as I had made changes it didn't bother me
I then had the system crash half way through the night and after a reboot the same re scan happened probably as it had not saved the last scan back properly.

Now I finished the gig all seemed ok but the following day I thought best test all out and when I connected the drive that I had used the night before it took 15 mins maybe more to load the Library completely, I wanted to re design my folder and sub folders anyway so I deleted the _SERATO_ folders both on the drive and MAC to start again.

Now getting to the point I loaded all my crates into the left hand panel all seemed fine no errors and tracks were playing fine but I shut down and restarted and the same very long time to load crates happened again I repeated the deleting the _SERATO_ folders and re creating the folder list approx 250 folders a lot but I like to keep it all this way.
Same thing very slow load of the Crates and database.

Now I wanted to find out why one drive takes about 50 seconds to load and this one takes 15-20 mins
I tried the latest ver of SERATO 1.9.3 to see if that helped but no same results everytime

I then started to compare the _SERATO_ folders on each drive to see if there was a difference and yes I found that the Drive I was creating the new folder structure on and that had been very slow to load, had a DB of about 250mb and the other fast loading drive had a DB of 48mb
NOTE same amount of MP3 tracks give or take a couple of 100 on each - I had now found the issue but not the cause

I then decided to see if ITCH would do the same if I created a folder set with that and restarted a few times to see and NO it produced a much smaller sized 45mb DB so now the final test how would this load in the SERATO DJ 1.9.2 and 1.9.3
I can tell you this now loads in less than a min 66,000 tracks all good and loading quickly so it must be how the DB is created on my MAC and with the latest versions of SERATO

I hope this helps and gives SERATO a place to look for this issue moving forward
if you need more info send me a email mike_hackett@blueyonder.co.uk
Cheers all
DJ Tracy G. 3:50 PM - 5 October, 2016
following

My database is large but you raise an interesting point. Starting with 1.9, I have periods where my ALL crate will show no contents, I have to use the subcrates to search. Luckily, all of my tracks reside in a crate. I believe I was in an Out of memory condition even though my PC has 8GB.

I removed all of the .CRATE files and the memory usage decreased dramatically. My new approach may be to update all my songs with the GENRE tag or one of the other free fields and stop using so many crates.

At this point, I only use 10-15 small performance crates. 1.9.3 is working flawlessly at this point even with a huge library.
dj do it 4:10 PM - 29 December, 2017
had the same issue with SDJ1.9.9 took a lot time to load but loaded fast if I use scratch live I deleted the database V2 and it working find now.