Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

MacBook Pro / Serato Exit

djgaryc 4:43 AM - 16 August, 2016
Does anyone know why, when I exit the Serato DJ programme why I have a blank screen - As in, just the background screen?

The command bar up the top, the few screen shots saved to desktop and the dock are missing for a few seconds then appear to reload again.

Happens every time.
DJ Tecniq 5:03 AM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Does anyone know why, when I exit the Serato DJ programme why I have a blank screen - As in, just the background screen?

The command bar up the top, the few screen shots saved to desktop and the dock are missing for a few seconds then appear to reload again.

Happens every time.
Same problem here. They claimed its my "library" but what's funny is I started a fresh library and I still get the program crash on exit. I think it lies in the program itself and not your laptop. They will deny that though cause they think it's not "their" software. ๐Ÿ™„
djgaryc 5:07 AM - 16 August, 2016
Same problem here. They claimed its my "library" but what's funny is I started a fresh library and I still get the program crash on exit. I think it lies in the program itself and not your laptop. They will deny that though cause they think it's not "their" software. ๐Ÿ™„

I don't think I'll go asking for help as by fixing it, it is bound sure to make new issues :-D
djstefy74 6:34 AM - 16 August, 2016
Same problem\bug here too with 1.9.1 and 1.9.2,DJ work flawlessy but when exit i must to make a click un the trackpad to see all the elements on the desktop,i don't know if it's a bug or something else(important is that software run without problems)but it's strange..
Macbook Pro mid 2012,256gb ssd,8gb ram,Maverick installed
djgaryc 6:46 AM - 16 August, 2016
I'm running mid-2012 2tb SSD, 8GB ram. - could be a pre-retina issue. Who knows! ๐Ÿค“
DJ Tecniq 9:50 AM - 16 August, 2016
I'm using a Mid 2014 MBP w/Yosemite and it "always" happens on exit. It is consistent.
XCAKID 7:41 PM - 16 August, 2016
I started getting that when I use an external HD.
muzikmysta 9:22 PM - 16 August, 2016
Was wondering if anyone notice this happening... its also happening to me the dock and menu on top of mac pro screen will not show,, the beachball comes up and i have to click on track pad for it to resume and its not a laptop prob becuz 1.9.1 never had that problem
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 3:03 AM - 17 August, 2016
Hey Tecniq,

Just looked into your ticket and Kane is still waiting for you to send your _Serato_ folder through so we can keep looking into why this is happening.

We're keen to keep helping you with this issue so if you could respond there it'd be great.

Cheers,

Sam.
DJ Tecniq 3:28 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
I started getting that when I use an external HD.
Happens with or without an external for me. Even when I'm using SDJ offline...Scratchlive not an issue๐Ÿค”
DJ Tecniq 3:29 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Hey Tecniq,

Just looked into your ticket and Kane is still waiting for you to send your _Serato_ folder through so we can keep looking into why this is happening.

We're keen to keep helping you with this issue so if you could respond there it'd be great.

Cheers,

Sam.
Will do Sam thanks.
djpipes 4:31 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Same problem\bug here too with 1.9.1 and 1.9.2,DJ work flawlessy but when exit i must to make a click un the trackpad to see all the elements on the desktop,i don't know if it's a bug or something else(important is that software run without problems)but it's strange..
Macbook Pro mid 2012,256gb ssd,8gb ram,Maverick installed

Exact same problem here!!!!

Im running a Macbook Pro mid 2012,500GB Samsung SSD, 16GB Ram, OSX Maverick's
DJ Tecniq 4:33 AM - 17 August, 2016
Wow! All of us having the same issue but they are telling me it's something with my library. I'll let everyone know what they find as I'm in touch with support.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 4:49 AM - 17 August, 2016
It's highly likely it's not the exact same issue. Kane's trying to help out man - we can get to the bottom of why this is happening for you.

Hey pipes, have you opened a help request? We can give you some one-on-one support from our team :)

sam.
DJ Tecniq 8:15 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
It's highly likely it's not the exact same issue. Kane's trying to help out man - we can get to the bottom of why this is happening for you.

Hey pipes, have you opened a help request? We can give you some one-on-one support from our team :)

sam.
You're right cause it still happens with 1.9.1 and 1.9.2
DJ Subtext 8:26 AM - 17 August, 2016
Same issue here..
DJ Tecniq 8:29 AM - 17 August, 2016
Yeah I dunno what's going on I've tried 1.9.1, 1.9.2 and the 1.9.3 beta and they all crash on exit...Scratchlive = Zero issues exiting
djgaryc 8:50 AM - 17 August, 2016
I can not remember Scratch Live doing it, but I couldn't guarantee it.

SDJ - Every time. I thought it may e because of library back up, but if you un-tick, it still does the crash
djstefy74 1:56 PM - 17 August, 2016
@Samuel S..like i said for me is not a "real" problem because the software runs ok so i decided to not open a ticket,but if more users have the same bug on different machines probably there's something to make in the software..I'm hoping and waiting for a 64bit application :)
DJ Tecniq 2:19 PM - 17 August, 2016
I just sent support a clear video demonstration of SDJ crashing on exit and displayed Scratchlive not having that issue. Waiting their response..
djstefy74 2:43 PM - 17 August, 2016
Hi Tecniq,in my case there's no crash because Sdj close as usual,only the desktop still only with the wallpaper,but once i click the icons and the dock came back..for me it's related with graphical elements of Sdj,seems that when close the Gui elements you close the graphic elements of the desktop..but its a my idea...
DJ Tecniq 2:47 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Hi Tecniq,in my case there's no crash because Sdj close as usual,only the desktop still only with the wallpaper,but once i click the icons and the dock came back..for me it's related with graphical elements of Sdj,seems that when close the Gui elements you close the graphic elements of the desktop..but its a my idea...
What I mean by crash is SDJ doesn't close properly it is still the same thing you experience. My dock dissapears and I get a spinning beach ball after exiting which is basically a crash/hang. So when I say crash that's what I mean.
spofftastic 4:14 PM - 17 August, 2016
This has been happening to me for quite some time - on my MBP 15' late 2013 it seems like the finder is force quitting before the menu bar and dock re appear. I made a note of this when I had a couple of other issues a few months back in a support ticket. Multiple versions have had this IME.
DJ Tecniq 4:42 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
This has been happening to me for quite some time - on my MBP 15' late 2013 it seems like the finder is force quitting before the menu bar and dock re appear. I made a note of this when I had a couple of other issues a few months back in a support ticket. Multiple versions have had this IME.
That's so interesting cause support is saying it's not happening on their end but every single version I've tried it does this lol...what gives๐Ÿ˜
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 10:49 PM - 17 August, 2016
I see from your support ticket that your not experiencing a crash, just a longer exit time which is relatively normal for Serato DJ. Kane has also mentioned it's closing down successfully in his last post?

sam.
DJ Tecniq 11:00 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
I see from your support ticket that your not experiencing a crash, just a longer exit time which is relatively normal for Serato DJ. Kane has also mentioned it's closing down successfully in his last post?

sam.
How is this normal? It does not close down normally my entire dock disappears and I get a spinning beachball after exiting "every" single time. Earlier versions of SDJ never used to do this. That is completely incorrect...
DJ Tecniq 11:03 PM - 17 August, 2016
Kane is indeed wrong. If my entire dock disappears after exiting SDJ then this is not normal. Scratchlive has never done this or previous versions of SDJ. So I'm just going to have to deal with this forever? Unacceptable
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:08 PM - 17 August, 2016
Well if that's the case you should let him know so we can keep helping. The dock disappearing seems like a separate issue. The slight 9 or so second time it takes to exit isn't a crash though.

sam.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:09 PM - 17 August, 2016
From the video you've posted, there doesn't seem to be a crash at all. It's just a different shut-down process as Kane has mentioned and takes a few seconds longer as there is more information being written out to our preferences and database than with Scratch Live.

sam.
DJ Tecniq 11:11 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Well if that's the case you should let him know so we can keep helping. The dock disappearing seems like a separate issue. The slight 9 or so second time it takes to exit isn't a crash though.

sam.
So what about all these other users? Is my problem different than there's?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:11 PM - 17 August, 2016
If anyone in this thread is experiencing an actual crash on exit or a hang that doesn't resolve itself without a force quit, can they please contact support for help as it's most likely a unique issue not related to this.

support.serato.com is where to get one on one help from our team :)

Cheers,

Sam.
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:14 PM - 17 August, 2016
Your issue is not an issue Tecniq. From watching your video, Serato DJ closes correctly and as we've mentioned, it has a slightly longer exit time than Scratch Live as they are completely different applications.
spofftastic 11:25 PM - 17 August, 2016
I lose my menu and dock for a few moments after shutting down SDJ. It's like serrato dj holds on and has a tough time letting go! None of the other professional applications built by people other than apple (Universal Audio Console, Pixelmator, Affinity Design and Photo) does this happen. I have noticed this for so long I am not too concerned. For those who are tuned into their computers, I can see where this would cause concerns. Definitely is not the standard behavior that other software companies have. I'd rather have stable when open and running than concerned with delays exiting.
DJ Tecniq 11:29 PM - 17 August, 2016
That's fine I'm uploading and sharing the video in this post. This is not a normal shutdown. I don't care what you say. Scratchlive nor any other program I run does this. Enjoy the clip! www.dropbox.com
DJ Tecniq 11:31 PM - 17 August, 2016
If there's any other users that aren't having the same issue I am in the video then let me know. Thanks :)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:37 PM - 17 August, 2016
What issues do you have by the dock now showing for a second or so?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:39 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
I lose my menu and dock for a few moments after shutting down SDJ. It's like serrato dj holds on and has a tough time letting go! None of the other professional applications built by people other than apple (Universal Audio Console, Pixelmator, Affinity Design and Photo) does this happen. I have noticed this for so long I am not too concerned. For those who are tuned into their computers, I can see where this would cause concerns. Definitely is not the standard behavior that other software companies have. I'd rather have stable when open and running than concerned with delays exiting.

There's actually zero issue with this. If this is causing any specific issues for anyone, please let us know.

A short 5 or so second delay when exiting the software is very normal and nothing to be concerned by - neither is your Mac OS X dock being hidden slightly for a second or two.

sam.
DJ Tecniq 11:41 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
What issues do you have by the dock now showing for a second or so?
The issue I have is It's quite nerve racking to just watch it finish whatever the hell it needs to do. My whole point is none of my other software has this "hang" regardless of wether you wanna call it that or not. Every single version of 1.8.2 and above acts the same way...Or maybe the software just has a hard time processing a simple exit...Beats me
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 11:43 PM - 17 August, 2016
You can take it from us, you have no issue whatsoever there. Feel completely confident that closing Serato DJ isn't doing anything but closing the software and doing what it needs to do :)

It's also not a hang - if it was a software hang, then it'd be unresolvable and frozen requiring a force quit or restart. It's a short 4 or so second delay when closing the application which is within the standard timeframe for this process.

sam.
DJ Tecniq 12:04 AM - 18 August, 2016
Odd I just tried SDJ 1.7.8 and it shuts down perfectly fine...but I'm Pinocchio here...:(
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 12:05 AM - 18 August, 2016
They both shut down fine - it's just slightly different. There is different GUI technology in post 1.8 releases which is probably why the dock is not visible for a second. You really have nothing to be concerned about with how Serato DJ shuts down.

sam.
DJ Tecniq 12:17 AM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
They both shut down fine - it's just slightly different. There is different GUI technology in post 1.8 releases which is probably why the dock is not visible for a second. You really have nothing to be concerned about with how Serato DJ shuts down.

sam.
You're right the future versions hang but the older one's don't that's the only difference.
AddamXavier 12:23 AM - 18 August, 2016
Sam with all due respect, it is at least an "Issue" in the sense that it is "expected behavior that is causing user confusion" which is what we classify issues as up at work.

I think the disconnect is that SDJ doesn't close down like virtually any other Mac app that Tecniq (or I) have used. I would humbly suggest that you guys look at the UX implications of this process since i have seen many people (on these forums) mention this assuming it's not normal behavior. The standard for quitting apps is that the menu bar and dock stay visible. anything outside that norm can be perceived as an Issue.
The Return of Dj Sparky 12:43 AM - 18 August, 2016
It's not a bug it's a feature
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 1:04 AM - 18 August, 2016
Agreed, it's definitely something we can look at and i'm sure Kane will send this report back to the team from the help ticket.

I just don't want this particular scenario to be confused with actual crashes or hangs on exit which are separate issues that users might face so we can look into these individually.

Appreciate the feedback in here guys.

Cheers :)

sam.
Kristian Valdini 7:59 AM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Yeah I dunno what's going on I've tried 1.9.1, 1.9.2 and the 1.9.3 beta and they all crash on exit...Scratchlive = Zero issues exiting

Has always crashed on exit for me, regardless of versions, have got used to this and just assumed it happened to everyone and will not be fixed anytime soon as other things like 'payable' add-ons that needed more attention :)

K
DJ Tecniq 11:56 AM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Has always crashed on exit for me, regardless of versions, have got used to this and just assumed it happened to everyone and will not be fixed anytime soon as other things like 'payable' add-ons that needed more attention :)

K
Right. But a throwback version of 1.7.8 seems to close perfectly fine with no dock disappearing. But it's not the software...ok๐Ÿ™„
i am Dj fLiP 7:28 PM - 18 August, 2016
hmm.. random thought, maybe the updated version of SDJ, somewhere in the code, it triggers the "automatic graphics switching"??

I know you do videos Tecniq, and as do I, and I turn off my auto graphics on my MBP.
I know you have a 2014, so I'm not sure if you even have that option.

Just throwing it out there..
Serato, Forum Moderator
Samuel S 8:04 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

K
Right. But a throwback version of 1.7.8 seems to close perfectly fine with no dock disappearing. But it's not the software...ok๐Ÿ™„

Yep that's right Tecniq, we've discussed this a lot and Kane has given you a pretty big explanation of why this is the case on your help ticket.

The reason that Serato DJ may be closing differently is because of a change in the way that we process graphical on-screen elements in post 1.8 releases. By the way, you're not experiencing a crash or a hang - lets just be very clear about that. The software is closing as expected with a short delay while it writes out important information to your library and preferences.

The only issue you have is that it's unnerving when the Mac OS X dock is not visible for a couple of seconds on exit - while it's not a bug, crash or freeze, it is probably something we can look at as a usability concern and just change the way that our exit behaviour occurs to give some peace of mind to people that might be a bit nervous about this - it'd be quite low priority though compared to other things in our backlog.

Again, I really want to make sure people having actual crashes or freezing issues in this thread get in touch with support so we can help find out what's wrong - this can be done here: support.serato.com

Sam.
DJ Tecniq 8:50 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
hmm.. random thought, maybe the updated version of SDJ, somewhere in the code, it triggers the "automatic graphics switching"??

I know you do videos Tecniq, and as do I, and I turn off my auto graphics on my MBP.
I know you have a 2014, so I'm not sure if you even have that option.

Just throwing it out there..
No I have automatic graphics switching it's a 15" mbp and it makes no difference disabled or not.
The Return of Dj Sparky 8:56 PM - 18 August, 2016
i would have to agree with the serato team that this is not a crash or a big issue, you're just being presented with the desktop view before the program has actually closed and when it does close they could change it so that you keep getting the exit screen till its closed but i as many others would like to see many other things addressed before that
DJ Tecniq 9:18 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
i would have to agree with the serato team that this is not a crash or a big issue, you're just being presented with the desktop view before the program has actually closed and when it does close they could change it so that you keep getting the exit screen till its closed but i as many others would like to see many other things addressed before that
I will agree it's not a big concern I would rather the bugs be worked out first. I'm gonna use 1.9.1 with my s9 tonight and hope I don't get a dropout. My machine shouldn't be having any dropouts that wasn't the case with 1.9.2. though Hoping for a stress free night!
DJ Ravien 10:01 PM - 19 August, 2016
Same issue here, hasn't really bothered me just figured Id jump on the band wagon.
Kristian Valdini 7:40 AM - 20 August, 2016
I always get a nice beach ball into the mix too :)

K
Mr_Jay_R 12:36 PM - 8 February, 2017
I'm having the same glitch when exiting Serato Dj..beach ball spinning and dock going away for a few seconds..stumbled upon this thread,any word on this issue?im running El Capitan 10.11.6..Rane 61
DJ Tecniq 5:06 PM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
I'm having the same glitch when exiting Serato Dj..beach ball spinning and dock going away for a few seconds..stumbled upon this thread,any word on this issue?im running El Capitan 10.11.6..Rane 61
Has not been fixed support has even told me "it's normal" well this shit never used to happen in Scratchlive and I'm using Yosemite. I don't even think it's fixed in the beta version it kinda makes me want to chop a developers hands off๐Ÿ˜ฌ
Mr_Jay_R 5:10 PM - 8 February, 2017
Normal??..not sure how,but I have help request put in..gonna send my report and see what the outcome is,Serato did get back to me pretty quick..good thing it doesn't effect the actual performance..still testing tho
DJ Tecniq 8:36 PM - 8 February, 2017
Quote:
Normal??..not sure how,but I have help request put in..gonna send my report and see what the outcome is,Serato did get back to me pretty quick..good thing it doesn't effect the actual performance..still testing tho
This was their response...

Kane Donaldson (Serato)
Aug 18, 10:16 NZST

Yes different result on your end indeed (your MBP is a lot more powerful than my macbook which explains the speed difference) SDJ closes down a lot quicker on your machine, and is closing down successfully. What you're experiencing is not a crash or hang, a spinning beach ball & disappearing dock does not suggest this.

On exit Serato DJ does a whole lot more than Scratch Live ever did, and its done in an orderly fashion to preserve data as much as possible, its disconnects from the audio & midi modules of the hardware, updates your V2 database with any information changes from that session, updates tags for certain file types, disconnects from Pulselocker servers and shuts down all internal components in order.

Compared to Scratch Live, which just shut everything down at once and, believe it or not is far more likely to crash on exit (with no crash report - giving the illusion of a quick shutdown time)

Think of it as going to sleep comfortably at night verses getting knocked out. (this is how one of our devs described the comparison to me and i thought it was pretty funny)

This is why the complete close time of Serato DJ is a few seconds longer than Scratch Live.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Kind Regards,
Kane Donaldson
Product Specialist
DJ Tecniq 8:37 PM - 8 February, 2017
He tried to tell me Scratchlive was more likely to crash on exit...when that's never happened ever lol