DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Watch all 6 sets from the Red Bull Thre3style U.S. Finals

StylesD 9:56 PM - 15 August, 2016
hey all, we just uploaded all the sets from last week's battle. Check em out here:

bit.ly
nik39 9:58 PM - 15 August, 2016
Great!
Miss DJ Bliss 10:53 PM - 15 August, 2016
dope!
monchi 11:08 PM - 15 August, 2016
Just curious but I thought videos before the World finals , were never shown or was that the DMC?
StylesD 11:24 PM - 15 August, 2016
that's only DMC.
monchi 11:24 PM - 15 August, 2016
Ease >Trayze I stopped at 10:00 mark on Trayze, I was falling asleep. I thought the crowd had left. Ease had more edits, Trayze had none . Did the Judges give it to Trayze to get passed the G smooth fiasco? Maybe Im just getting to old.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:37 PM - 15 August, 2016
Quote:
Ease >Trayze I stopped at 10:00 mark on Trayze, I was falling asleep. I thought the crowd had left. Ease had more edits, Trayze had none . Did the Judges give it to Trayze to get passed the G smooth fiasco? Maybe Im just getting to old.
honestly ive never been a fan of trayze. His sets are borring to me as well
DJ Remy USA 1:30 PM - 16 August, 2016
I thought Trayze's set was hot Ive seen his style progress for a long time now. Trayze did have some edits in there.
monchi 1:59 PM - 16 August, 2016
Right on Remy. I have seen better from Trayze. Just finished watching the others last night. I would have Supagi , Ease, then Trayze.
monchi 3:11 PM - 16 August, 2016
What the fuck was wrong with the crowd, or did the sets not have enough energy?
Mr. Goodkat 6:25 PM - 16 August, 2016
i cant believe that jaycee came in 3rd. the 20th worst dj in my area(with that open format style) is better than that
Robbie O 8:44 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:

Curious, why do you say that? I was there, but havent watched the video yet... from a crowd perspective I think Boi Genius was dope, too many interludes though, but I thought he was original.

Easy and Supagi were technically dope, but the crowd was really feeling them. Supagi especially started off I think with some EDM-type stuff, but crowd definitely felt more hip-hop centric. This was tricky because of the 3-Style requirement.

Lastly, I think Trayze (DC) and Boi Genius (CHI) fan base was rolllinnnng deep in there, so if it was a more neutral place, things might have been different. With Trayze, I think everybody wanted him to win (including myself), but IMO seeing it live I dont think he did enough to win. Seemed like a preselected winner.
Mr. Goodkat 8:47 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Curious, why do you say that? I was there, but havent watched the video yet... from a crowd perspective I think Boi Genius was dope, too many interludes though, but I thought he was original.

Easy and Supagi were technically dope, but the crowd was really feeling them. Supagi especially started off I think with some EDM-type stuff, but crowd definitely felt more hip-hop centric. This was tricky because of the 3-Style requirement.

Lastly, I think Trayze (DC) and Boi Genius (CHI) fan base was rolllinnnng deep in there, so if it was a more neutral place, things might have been different. With Trayze, I think everybody wanted him to win (including myself), but IMO seeing it live I dont think he did enough to win. Seemed like a preselected winner.

how did jaycee place?
Robbie O 8:48 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
i cant believe that jaycee came in 3rd. the 20th worst dj in my area(with that open format style) is better than that

Jaycee was whack, but did a lot of turntable tricks... remember who was judging. I think Jeff and Bastid were a bit bias here. I dont think he had the crowd either
DJ Remy USA 12:27 AM - 17 August, 2016
In my opinion

Mike 2600 and Boi Genius we a close tie for me both different but dope
Trayze
Ease
The rest
DJ Remy USA 12:28 AM - 17 August, 2016
*were
DJ Tecniq 4:18 AM - 17 August, 2016
Trayze was more creative with his wordplay and key shifting. He didn't do as much technical things as the others but I def agree he deserved first. His whole set told a story. Ease imo was sloppy, transitions were all over the place but still he is super talented. Jaycee's transitions were all over the place as well however Jaycee's juggles were top notch. Supagi I just got lost in his whole trap set...A commercial crowd was not feeling that. Stick to the format which in 3style is blending genres. Trayze I feel nailed that 100%. He made it look so easy cause for him it was considering he's won 3style battles already. Boi Genius and Mike2600 were both dope I think they were a close tie for 2nd...3rd I would prob give it to Ease. My point is the first two contestants Ease & Supagi before Trayze were doing technical routines that just turned out sloppy. Both of them had sound/distortion/needle issues which can def affect performance.
DJ Jonasty 12:00 PM - 17 August, 2016
Trayze too hype for me for too long and got boring. I dug boi genius set more. Need more sets like this. Interludes a bit long winded tho I agree
StylesD 5:22 PM - 17 August, 2016
good opinions!
LilSwann 5:33 AM - 18 August, 2016
I think it was good for Trayze to place 1st. There are certain rules in place as this is a competition. To me he did have the cleanest and most creative overall set and blended different styles of music well with a good bit of technical skills as well. Ease is my dude but he was definitely sloppy which kept him out running for the top 3. Boi Jeanius set was good but his interludes was too much like play some music and I felt he wasn't as creative as usual. Boi Jeanius is such a clean scratcher I feel like he could of included that skill set a little more.

If any set I was bored with was Jaycee's I'm not really sure how he placed 3rd. I felt like I was watching a mostly old school hip-hop set which is cool and all but this is called Thre3style for a reason. As for Mike 2600 and Supagi they did what I guess you would normally expect from this competition but to me nothing too exciting to really catch my attention like the others but I would definitely choose one of them instead of Jaycee for the top 3. Overall I think Trayze definitely deserved the title as he hit all he points for the competition.
Logisticalstyles 2:48 PM - 18 August, 2016
I wonder if JayCee and Ease's sets were compromised because they were too busy preparing their sets for the US DMC finals. I think both of them are more suited for the DMC arena than Redbull 3Style. I couldn't imagine having to practice sets for both battles simultaneously.
DJ Tecniq 7:18 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
I wonder if JayCee and Ease's sets were compromised because they were too busy preparing their sets for the US DMC finals. I think both of them are more suited for the DMC arena than Redbull 3Style. I couldn't imagine having to practice sets for both battles simultaneously.
Ease has performed that set before many times it just came out really sloppy. His 3style audition was pretty much just like his red bull finals set. I expected something a bit different. They were having some DVS issues as well.. Audio sounded like garbage I think they should cleaned the needles.
XCAKID 7:38 PM - 18 August, 2016
Thanks for posting.
StylesD 4:46 AM - 19 August, 2016
I think both you guys, LilSwann and Logisiticalstyles hit it on the head.
StylesD 6:31 PM - 19 August, 2016
here's DJ Byte's headlining set for anyone who missed it:

news.djcity.com
LilSwann 12:00 AM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
I think both you guys, LilSwann and Logisiticalstyles hit it on the head.

Very entertaining to say the least I think a lot more DJs and people in general can relate more to the Redbull competition than the DMCs. It's crazy to watch theses guys and see all the crazy ideas they come up with to fit into only 15 mins.
Simi Ranks 2:20 AM - 21 August, 2016
wow, i stopped watching byte @ 9 min. no bueno
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:15 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:

ya i def wasn't into bytes set
Mr. Goodkat 10:10 PM - 21 August, 2016
i get the threestyle format but trying to stretch things too far to the extent that you are doing it for the comp and not the crowd seems misguided to me.

of course some classics can be played but playing the same classic songs year after year ala journey dont stop believing, seems to be the opposite of creative.
DJ Remy USA 11:49 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

yall are on something his set was hot
DJ Remy USA 11:54 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Ok I see what yall were saying it was still pretty creative and he wasnt competing either
StylesD 5:04 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ok I see what yall were saying it was still pretty creative and he wasnt competing either

i agree. he's just there to show out and I thought his shit was creative.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 11:54 PM - 23 August, 2016
Just now catching this - That flip that Boi Jeanious on the Freda Payne - I Get High was kinda sweet....
Robbie O 1:27 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

i agree. he's just there to show out and I thought his shit was creative.

When I saw it live, Byte definitely had some needle/ground/vibration issues though. keep that in mind. seem'd like he wanted to take to another level but felt limited...
DJ Tecniq 6:41 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
When I saw it live, Byte definitely had some needle/ground/vibration issues though. keep that in mind. seem'd like he wanted to take to another level but felt limited...
Yeah I noticed when you turned his back and did the back juggle his equipment moved which caused the ground from the mixer to become undone. This is why internal grounds are important however he was still having some DVS issues after he reconnected it.
DJ Tecniq 6:41 PM - 26 August, 2016
You = he*