DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

THE GET DOWN on Netflix

Β 6 1:50 AM - 14 August, 2016
I binged watched the entire first part.

I'm diggin' it.... - minus Jaden Smith.

nm
Antonio Essex 2:34 AM - 14 August, 2016
Agree. I'm slowly watching episode 1 cause of
My kids. heard Nas, grand master flash and other rappers co-singed so in in!
StylesD 3:31 AM - 14 August, 2016
i was ready to hate it completely but it's actually pretty dope.
eugguy 6:24 AM - 14 August, 2016
Very well done I must say. Just finished the season, only 6 episodes. Beautifully done.
CMOS 6:44 PM - 14 August, 2016
lol@

Whos this guy?

Oh thats that dude with the fake karate moves.
4mydawgz 10:56 PM - 14 August, 2016
nothin wrong with Jaden Smith
Β 6 2:48 AM - 15 August, 2016
Quote:
nothin wrong with Jaden Smith

He's the only one that seems out of place. Well, except for that scene in the club when he kissed that dude (I think they edited that out). There, he fits in perfectly.

nm
DJ Quartz 6:12 AM - 15 August, 2016
I started watching it today, I think it's dope. Like a new age Beat Street.
DJ Remy USA 8:56 PM - 15 August, 2016
I think its real dope. I posted a link to it on facebook but my friends said it looks cheesy which I disagree with.
AKIEM 6:29 PM - 16 August, 2016
It's pretty def
Mr. Goodkat 6:38 PM - 16 August, 2016
im gonna give it another shot, seemed to nostalgic. its like brown folks stranger ways
Mr. Goodkat 6:38 PM - 16 August, 2016
too nostalgic
AKIEM 7:10 PM - 16 August, 2016
Trying to see what you mean by too nostalgic / thats the point of it - but on some comic book style...
Mr. Goodkat 7:16 PM - 16 August, 2016
meant to say stranger things. strangeways is a bar near my house
AKIEM 7:18 PM - 16 August, 2016
only watched two eps so far tho
(binge watching is for chicks - lol)
the SOUNDINSURGENT 8:17 PM - 16 August, 2016
Yeah I'm diggin it so far as well. I think its funny how I was watching it with my kids and then when practicing my oldest son (15) asked me if I used a crayon to mark my records, lol!!

Were on episode 3 but yeah its not a bad show.

Season 2 will air this winter I believe.
DJ Remy USA 12:30 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
too nostalgic

I disagree I dont feel those stories have even been told recently or ever this mainstream in the last 10 years.
pdidy 5:10 PM - 17 August, 2016
In EPISODES FIVE AND SIX THEY ARE REFERENCES TO "BERTHAS" WHICH ARE BASS SPEAKERS. The average person would not know what these are so clearly this show is doing their homework and checking its history. They got so much right with this show, the authenticity is on point. It hits home because as a little kid in New York City, all of this was going on around me...... the beginning of hip-hop.

BERTHA info from disco twins: www.facebook.com www.oldschoolhiphop.com
s150.photobucket.com
s150.photobucket.com
pdidy 5:11 PM - 17 August, 2016
there are
AKIEM 5:23 PM - 17 August, 2016
It's dope how authentic certain aspects are, while still being mythology or comic book style.

How they have Flash's exact mixer with the cue switch mod, mixing with the up and downs.

@KRS wheres the story of Flash inventing the cross fader? smh

(up to ep 2)
eugguy 8:31 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
I think its real dope. I posted a link to it on facebook but my friends said it looks cheesy which I disagree with.

If they say it's cheesy, they are probably in the demographic that believes hip-hip was created by Tupac and 50 Cent It's dope for real.
Β 6 8:44 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

If they say it's cheesy, they are probably in the demographic that believes hip-hip was created by Tupac and 50 Cent It's dope for real.

This pretty much.

The show has got really good feedback from most of my friends and relatives - even those who know little about the culture.

nm
Joee 11:19 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
I binged watched the entire first part.

I'm diggin' it.... - minus Jaden Smith.

nm

+1 watched them all in two days? you say binged the first part is there going to be more than 6 episodes?
DJ Remy USA 12:30 AM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

you might be right
deejayfatcat 1:46 AM - 18 August, 2016
The storytelling and imagery are spot on (I grew up in that area, about that time)

The acting and BX accents (except latino) are beyond terrible.
pdidy 1:49 AM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
is there going to be more than 6 episodes?

there will be 12 episodes www.imdb.com
Β 6 2:56 AM - 18 August, 2016
They had to split it in two parts because there were major delays in production.

nm
Dj Ready Red 4:10 AM - 18 August, 2016
They actually got Grandmaster Flash Rahiem Kurtis Blow and Grandwizzard Theodore to be consulting on The Get Down I enjoying it it my era and Hip Hop how it was with a twist that will keep the young generations interest!
Joee 12:11 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
They had to split it in two parts because there were major delays in production.

nm

got it, the ending left me wanting more.....lol

does anyone know who the puerto rican disco singer is portraying? i can't figure out who she is! or is her role fiction?
DJ GaFFle 1:47 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
They actually got Grandmaster Flash Rahiem Kurtis Blow and Grandwizzard Theodore to be consulting on The Get Down I enjoying it it my era and Hip Hop how it was with a twist that will keep the young generations interest!

An open-minded few but I doubt the whole lot. If it ain't turn up/twerk worthy, they ain't trying to hear it.
DJ Remy USA 2:20 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

nm

got it, the ending left me wanting more.....lol

does anyone know who the puerto rican disco singer is portraying? i can't figure out who she is! or is her role fiction?

Im not sure I think she is just part of the story maybe she was just one of the guys love interest back in the day and they are sort of telling her untold story
DJ Remy USA 2:21 PM - 18 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

An open-minded few but I doubt the whole lot. If it ain't turn up/twerk worthy, they ain't trying to hear it.

Pretty much I mean come on Lil yachty said he dont have to rap to prove he can rap so they are not of the same culture and Im 100% ok with that at this point the cultures are seperate and the kids dont really want to bridge the gap unlike our generation we wanted to bridge the gap with the old and new.
deezlee 4:40 PM - 18 August, 2016
Haha "lil yachty" ?!
Mc I'm on a boat ?
Mc flippie floppies?
DJ GaFFle 1:11 AM - 19 August, 2016
I'm on episode four and can't stop watching now. I felt a little put off by the first episode but episode #2 and on painted a better picture of the directors flow.
Logisticalstyles 12:04 PM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:
I felt a little put off by the first episode

I just watched the first episode last night I felt the same way. I'll try to watch another episode tonight.
AKIEM 3:33 PM - 19 August, 2016
That's how I felt about the first 20 min till I let it be its own thing.
CMOS 4:30 PM - 19 August, 2016
How many of yall was mad that it took them that long to figure out the Crayon?

:P
DJ Quartz 7:01 PM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:

ha ha ha
DJ Remy USA 7:42 PM - 19 August, 2016
Quote:

my girl was laughing at that part cause she remembers when I was trying to teach how to cue a record using the marker and that was the end of her DJ career
DJ GaFFle 1:34 AM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
That's how I felt about the first 20 min till I let it be its own thing.

I honestly had it in my head that it would be more like a gritty documentary-type show with a theme like The Wire or something. I'm really feeling the route they took and l like how they inject tidbits of real Hip Hop history throughout. I'm looking forward to next season.
AddamXavier 4:54 AM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:

I was kinda baffled that someone that apparently was Flash's student didn't at least look at what he was doing while DJing. I mean i actually didn't know the specific crayon trick, but i saw his records marked and knew exactly what he was supposed to do with the crayon. I mean, i know it's for plot advancement, but still
DJ GaFFle 11:25 AM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I was kinda baffled that someone that apparently was Flash's student didn't at least look at what he was doing while DJing. I mean i actually didn't know the specific crayon trick, but i saw his records marked and knew exactly what he was supposed to do with the crayon. I mean, i know it's for plot advancement, but still

Haha... you've got a birds-eye vantage point 39 years in the future. Learning the art of DJ'ing: record finding, scratching, break recognition, crowd control, and party rocking would be a lot to take in, especially back then. My guess is Flash was spoon feeding him.
AddamXavier 1:09 PM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Haha... you've got a birds-eye vantage point 39 years in the future. Learning the art of DJ'ing: record finding, scratching, break recognition, crowd control, and party rocking would be a lot to take in, especially back then. My guess is Flash was spoon feeding him.

True, but I noticed the records were marked the first second of the get down scene. Shao was at a perfect spot to see Flash's records had some kind of marking But he apparently never thought to look at Flash when he's mixing. Not saying he should have gotten what the crayon was right off the bat but at least a "I wonder if the markings on Flash's records and the crayon are related" would have been nice.

Again, minor criticism. I loved it otherwise. I do agree that i had to get to the 2nd episode before I got to the part of the story I enjoyed.
DJ Ravien 2:29 AM - 21 August, 2016
Just started watching it, the first episode was kinda weird till about an hour into it then it got real interesting. Since I haven't been able to stop. Any idea when the second season is supposed to come out?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:04 AM - 21 August, 2016
Winter 2017
Dj_Nix 4:44 AM - 21 August, 2016
They got this show right. I can't stop watching it.
DJ Ravien 12:01 PM - 21 August, 2016
Damn so far away :( It got very interesting toward the end of the first episode, till then I was like wtf is this. Ended up binge watched the whole season yesterday. Very well done, looking forward to the second season now.
DJ GaFFle 3:01 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
Damn so far away :( It got very interesting toward the end of the first episode, till then I was like wtf is this. Ended up binge watched the whole season yesterday. Very well done, looking forward to the second season now.

This is the perspective of a DJ. I wonder what laypeople think of this show after watching it all the way through.
Β 6 7:56 PM - 21 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This is the perspective of a DJ. I wonder what laypeople think of this show after watching it all the way through.

It has got very good reviews - it can't all be from DJ's. :)

nm
Mr. Goodkat 8:44 PM - 21 August, 2016
Antonio Essex 2:01 AM - 23 August, 2016
⬆️ Thanks for this vid
AKIEM 2:17 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
⬆️ Thanks for this vid

...and no place does he say he invented the cross fader - smh
youtu.be gtfoh
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:50 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
⬆️ Thanks for this vid

I'm still processing that vid.

Dope nonetheless.
Mr. Goodkat 6:29 AM - 23 August, 2016
i thought it was all about flash and hip hop, but its not.

the plot, directing, and acting are all weak. show doesnt hold a thought for more than 1-2 minutes. the late 70s new york scene in movie and documentary have just been done so much better . just my take.
Antonio Essex 1:18 PM - 23 August, 2016
You sure you watched the same show as me? The kids who play eziekiel and Milynn were great. My wife doesn't really like hip hop, especially not a history lesson about it but she watched this with me a loved the love story aspect and Milynns singing arc. The weakest shit was Jaden smith and the gay stuff. They could have showed the gay club/ dj and the influence they had on getting music to pop stations without that weird half kiss scene. I bet Jaden wanted to make out with dude for the "art", but Will stepped in a said Nope.
DJ Remy USA 2:03 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
i thought it was all about flash and hip hop, but its not.

the plot, directing, and acting are all weak. show doesnt hold a thought for more than 1-2 minutes. the late 70s new york scene in movie and documentary have just been done so much better . just my take.

harsh review but hey thats you opinion. Most people who I tell about the show that are not DJs really like it. Everyone is unanimously agrees the first episode was a little off but besides that I think the acting is great its very different it feel gritty and not super polished which works for the entire theme they are going for. Its not all about hiphop they do have a few stories happening at the same time.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:49 PM - 23 August, 2016
Started watching it last night. Fuck those episodes are loooong and the first one drags out. My friend was like "how many more episodes are left" and i was .like shit all of em, this is still the first one!
AKIEM 5:21 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
You sure you watched the same show as me? The kids who play eziekiel and Milynn were great. My wife doesn't really like hip hop, especially not a history lesson about it but she watched this with me a loved the love story aspect and Milynns singing arc. The weakest shit was Jaden smith and the gay stuff. They could have showed the gay club/ dj and the influence they had on getting music to pop stations without that weird half kiss scene. I bet Jaden wanted to make out with dude for the "art", but Will stepped in a said Nope.

...or Flash hanging out at gay clubs...

Better yet, just wrote a Bambaataa scene in real quick...
Mr. Goodkat 6:12 PM - 23 August, 2016
my favorite tweet about it was

'It's as if someone watched Glee, Westside Story, Style Wars and Wild Style, but essentially enjoyed Glee most #TheGetDown'
Mr. Goodkat 6:13 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

daaaam lofl
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:25 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Brutal.
Antonio Essex 8:09 PM - 23 August, 2016
You think that's why there's little mention of Bambatta in the show? They say his name as one of the crew leaders but don't show him or Zulu. No problem with LBGTQ but ain't fucking with pedo creepers
Β 6 2:38 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
You think that's why there's little mention of Bambatta in the show? They say his name as one of the crew leaders but don't show him or Zulu. No problem with LBGTQ but ain't fucking with pedo creepers

I wonder if he'll appear in the second part.

nm
eugguy 4:03 AM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I wonder if he'll appear in the second part.

nm

Question is, who'll play him.
Dj Mike P. 12:52 PM - 24 August, 2016
Love this show! I read its the most expensive Netflix original ever, and executive produced by Nas. Oh yea, I could do without Jaden Smith.
DJ Remy USA 1:42 PM - 24 August, 2016
Why is everyone hating on Jaden Smith? He's awkward but come on a lot you dudes play Young Thug in your sets if that isnt already awkward enough. Did he say something Im not aware of?
Antonio Essex 4:16 PM - 24 August, 2016
Young Thug has a couple fire tracks. "lifestyle" and "good times" were nice this summer for me. His lyrics are trash though.
Mr. Goodkat 5:14 PM - 24 August, 2016
thug and jaden comparison? cmon man. do ppl not realize thug is really a thug whether he wears a dress or not. jaden is some dipshit rich kid.
Antonio Essex 6:00 PM - 24 August, 2016
^yup jaden wore a white batman outfit to a wedding right? I'd be a cunt too if my daddy was will smith
pdidy 7:27 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Why is everyone hating on Jaden Smith?

It's just a popular thing to do, all the cool kids (sheep) are doing it.
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:05 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
do ppl not realize thug is really a thug whether he wears a dress or not. jaden is some dipshit rich kid.

So what? So its all good to be a thug but coming from a successful family is a bad thing?
Β 6 8:44 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Why is everyone hating on Jaden Smith? He's awkward but come on a lot you dudes play Young Thug in your sets if that isnt already awkward enough. Did he say something Im not aware of?

It's fairy, I mean fairly simple really. He seems out of place. Take him off and the show wouldn't lose anything. Or maybe not take him off, but he should have been replaced for someone better.

nm
Logisticalstyles 9:12 PM - 24 August, 2016
I think Jaden is just not a good actor. It seems like he is always whining and complaining. The Karate Kid, and After Earth are two examples. In The Pursuit of Happiness he was a little kid so it seemed normal but now he's a young adult and still sounding the same. To me he's just not a very believable actor.
DJ Phoresh 9:27 PM - 24 August, 2016
I don't care if they got rid of Jaden but I don't think the show would want to get rid of his character Dizzee. The crew represents the 4 elements of hip-hop + the hustle side.

Ezikiel - MC-ing
Shaolin- Dj-ing
Boo Boo - Bboying
Dizzee- Graffiti
Ra Ra - Buisness/hustle

I'm thinking they will use each of these characters to dive more in-depth to each element.
Β 6 9:30 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
I think Jaden is just not a good actor.

This

nm
Β 6 9:31 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
I don't care if they got rid of Jaden but I don't think the show would want to get rid of his character Dizzee. The crew represents the 4 elements of hip-hop + the hustle side.

Ezikiel - MC-ing
Shaolin- Dj-ing
Boo Boo - Bboying
Dizzee- Graffiti
Ra Ra - Buisness/hustle

I'm thinking they will use each of these characters to dive more in-depth to each element.

Correct. That's why I corrected myself and said they should have replaced him.

nm
Mr. Goodkat 10:16 PM - 24 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
do ppl not realize thug is really a thug whether he wears a dress or not. jaden is some dipshit rich kid.

So what? So its all good to be a thug but coming from a successful family is a bad thing?

no but hes saying like i care if hes gay(awkward i assume means gay because the only thing they really have in common is that they've both been liberal about gender id). ala you play a lot of young thug - making the comparison of him and YT. if its just a talent comparison, young thug has more talent in his pinky than jadens whole body.

nothing wrong with coming from a successful family, but clearly the kid wouldnt be where he is without that successful family. he's done nothing to prove that he can act and has really no charisma on screen.

and i didnt even mention jaden, i was just responding to remys comparison
Thundercat 1:53 AM - 25 August, 2016
I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed it enough that I will continue to watch for the next season even though there were some things that were head scratching. I know there has to be some romanticizing of the subject matter to appeal to a broader audience but I guess I was expecting a bit more raw feel to it. I get it tho.
DJ GaFFle 12:35 AM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It's fairy, I mean fairly simple really. He seems out of place...

s2.quickmeme.com
DJ GaFFle 7:55 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Young Thug has a couple fire tracks. "lifestyle"...

Speaking of "lifestyle", the agenda is in full motion on impressionable minds: Watchwww.youtube.com
DJ Remy USA 9:09 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
thug and jaden comparison? cmon man. do ppl not realize thug is really a thug whether he wears a dress or not. jaden is some dipshit rich kid.

Ok thug is dipshit as well you heard his music and what he talks about but I guess he gets a pass and smith doesn't?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

It's fairy, I mean fairly simple really. He seems out of place...

s2.quickmeme.com

Seems outta place in regards to what? I'm not taking up for the kid I just see what's there to hate about him. I could see why someone would hate Young Thug and all the other mumble rappers
Mr. Goodkat 9:32 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Ok thug is dipshit as well you heard his music and what he talks about but I guess he gets a pass and smith doesn't?

i personally think thug's music is genius level. Art is subjective and whether you like it or love it, he came from nothing and is selling/streaming big numbers and has became a success in his own right.

jaden is star because of his parents past acting history and current influence.
Dj-M.Bezzle 11:55 PM - 26 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i personally think thug's music is genius level. Art is subjective and whether you like it or love it, he came from nothing and is selling/streaming big numbers and has became a success in his own right.

Yet your comment about art being subjective applies to jaden too
Mr. Goodkat 6:33 PM - 27 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yet your comment about art being subjective applies to jaden too

true. but there is a clear difference between the two
DJ Remy USA 10:08 PM - 27 August, 2016
If you see Young Thug as genius our views probably won't align at all. With that being said no one really has a reason to hate on Jaden Smith as I suspected. It's just the cool thing to do and so is liking Young Thug
DJ Remy USA 10:13 PM - 27 August, 2016
But back on track
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 4:59 PM - 28 August, 2016
AKIEM 5:10 PM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:
medium.com

I dont agree.... Fictionalizing is the only fair way to deal with it. If its not a straight documentary it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get the story 'right' because there are too many disagreements about how it went.
DJ Dub (DC's Own) 5:13 PM - 28 August, 2016
@Akiem.... I just wanted to post another viewpoint....
AKIEM 5:58 PM - 28 August, 2016
Yeah. Thanks for the link.

Good thing krs-0 wasn't the consultant.
MPC O.G. 6:43 PM - 28 August, 2016
Watchwww.youtube.com
I'm just going to sit this right here.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:53 PM - 28 August, 2016
I wonder if Spike Lee should have been the director.... Malcom X was dope.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 6:53 PM - 28 August, 2016
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

This is a MUST SEE for all DJ's who care about the "History".
Jiglo 8:13 PM - 28 August, 2016
Pretty good (3 episodes in), but could have been a lot better if they'd kept the grit and rawness of the time and lost the stylised stuff (Shaolin Fantastic and his missions for starters) and the glossiness. The gloss works for the disco, but doesn't work for the hip hop imo.

I think Charlie Ahearn would have been a better choice than Luhrmann, or Harry Belafonte who did a great job with Beat Street and kept it a bit more real and edgy.
DJ Remy USA 1:16 AM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Pretty good (3 episodes in), but could have been a lot better if they'd kept the grit and rawness of the time and lost the stylised stuff (Shaolin Fantastic and his missions for starters) and the glossiness. The gloss works for the disco, but doesn't work for the hip hop imo.

I think Charlie Ahearn would have been a better choice than Luhrmann, or Harry Belafonte who did a great job with Beat Street and kept it a bit more real and edgy.

I think we are forgetting they are trying to tell the story to a generation that doesnt really know it I think thats why they have the story line and Shaolin Fantastic is pretty cool fictional character

Why cant hiphop have fun cant be any worse that mumble rap lol
Dj_Nix 2:44 AM - 29 August, 2016
Exactly. The stylized stuff is intentional. Its supposed to be mythical, almost legendary. Like a kinds first memories of important milestones. Eg like a Greek odessy or the tall tales etc.
Dj_Nix 2:47 AM - 29 August, 2016
Kinds=kids
Maskrider 7:05 AM - 29 August, 2016
The reason they have this show is to teach the kids to keep away from the bullcrap that is called Hiphop now.
Jiglo 9:36 AM - 29 August, 2016
Yeah, I get that it's just a story, but the real story is far far better imo.

Hollywood, it takes a great story, changes a lot of the key facts so people who know about the real story don't recognise it anymore and dilutes it to a point that kills off what a thing or person was really about. Looks like Netflix have done the same thing.

Interesting story (after the first hour), but could have been epic.
DJ Remy USA 11:37 AM - 29 August, 2016
You right Hollywood can water down a good product or straight up lie and tell a BS story. However Im not sure this had much involvement with Hollywood since its on Netflix I know Netflix kinda does there own thing without Hollywood with their original series but Hollywood could have a hand in it.

From what I read the writers of the show actually came to GMF to make sure they got the facts right.

So this is how Hiphop started from GMF perspective and whatever the producers wanted to add to spice it up and make it stand out so it wasnt just another hiphop documentary.
MPC O.G. 1:59 PM - 29 August, 2016
BUT Hip Hop did NOT start in the Bronx. The white folk would go up to the discos' in BX to get their dope, so they started mingling with the Uptown folk. The BX were the first to take it Downtown, thus they get the credit. THAT IS ALL. FACTS.
Michael A 3:00 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:

And that why I don't want to watch. I'd rather just keep my own recollection of growing up in NYC at that time intact. I don't even want to know the whole story with Bambaataa, just knowing there's allegations makes me look at my library differently.

I just prefer not to see it through anybody else's lens, with a 2016 agenda or perspective.
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:11 PM - 29 August, 2016
Some of yall are taking this tv show way to fucking serious
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:12 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

And that why I don't want to watch. I'd rather just keep my own recollection of growing up in NYC at that time intact. I don't even want to know the whole story with Bambaataa, just knowing there's allegations makes me look at my library differently.

I just prefer not to see it through anybody else's lens, with a 2016 agenda or perspective.

I feel the same way about the transformers
DJ GaFFle 4:28 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
I wonder if Spike Lee should have been the director.... Malcom X was dope.

Yes it was but he stumbled with that "Chiraq".
DJ GaFFle 4:29 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
BUT Hip Hop did NOT start in the Bronx. The white folk would go up to the discos' in BX to get their dope, so they started mingling with the Uptown folk. The BX were the first to take it Downtown, thus they get the credit. THAT IS ALL. FACTS.

media.giphy.com
DJ GaFFle 4:51 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Great documentary on: The Untold Story of Disco
AKIEM 5:25 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

AKIEM 5:26 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

media.giphy.com

lol
Jiglo 5:51 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:

Listen to one of the greatest hip hop tracks of all time. Watchwww.youtube.com

I'd post my pic of me stood outside1520 Sedgwick Avenue if I could. When Grandmaster Caz took our Hush Tour we got a lot of the history and some great stories. I've read the history from gang members, b-boys, historians, old school hip hop heads, DJs and MCs and people that were there around the start. That's kind of why I expected a lot more from the Get Down.
Logisticalstyles 5:58 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:

For real. Waaay too serious.
AKIEM 5:59 PM - 29 August, 2016
We need better documentation. Before everyones dead.

Plenty of time for better fiction.
pdidy 6:10 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

www.reactiongifs.com
Joee 6:13 PM - 29 August, 2016
Hip Hop Started in "Queens" !

Watchwww.youtube.com

......runs and hides.......

CMOS 6:36 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:

Too late for documentation, every crew says they started it. lol

No ones gonna agree on it all because it was so underground at the time.
Mr. Goodkat 6:39 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

exactly, to keep coming back to only a 2 or 3 people were responsible for the whole thing is like saying columbus discovered america
Michael A 6:40 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

For real. Waaay too serious.

Probably so, wouldn't be the first time I've been told to lighten up. :)
AKIEM 6:48 PM - 29 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

exactly, to keep coming back to only a 2 or 3 people were responsible for the whole thing is like saying columbus discovered america

Exactly. Thats way there needs to be more serious research done right now. Not cats just bigging themselves up, and making shit up.
DJ Remy USA 4:26 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I think GMF has enough cred to tell it from his perspective though. He isnt from Brooklyn but he was part of the culture of hiphop. Maybe if I was from NY I would feel different.
AKIEM 4:46 PM - 30 August, 2016
It's too fictional to really effect your historical perspective if you already have one.

The Warriors is more "realistic."
d:raf 5:06 PM - 30 August, 2016
Not bad for a teenage love story.
Β 6 6:32 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
Not bad for a teenage love story.

I still think J Smith is out of place there but I guess you're right. They had to do the whole teenage love story.

Oh wait. Wrong teenager?

lol

nm
Michael A 7:20 PM - 30 August, 2016
I was from Queens, and a little bit younger, but I like the perspective on the IG page "Albeesquare87"

Some amazing photos and stories to go with them.
Mr. Goodkat 7:36 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
I was from Queens, and a little bit younger, but I like the perspective on the IG page "Albeesquare87"

i wanted to go there as a young teen just because of biz
AKIEM 8:01 PM - 30 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

i wanted to go there as a young teen just because of biz

I lived several blocks from there for a while, after they changed the name. Always singing that Biz song too myself when I went in there... And that Ghostface "shot my way out...
AKIEM 8:02 PM - 30 August, 2016
lol @ 6 still gay for jaden in here...
DJ GaFFle 9:40 PM - 30 August, 2016
Bout to watch some of these episodes again... "Graaannnnd Master, BoO NasTy!"
DJ Dynamight 1:51 AM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Just watched this. Thanks for the link. Pretty cool documentary. Now I want some Berthas!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:55 PM - 31 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Watchwww.youtube.com

Wasn't he a gangster of some sort?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:52 AM - 2 September, 2016
I can't stand y'all right now....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:26 PM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:
I have mixed feelings about it. I enjoyed it enough that I will continue to watch for the next season even though there were some things that were head scratching. I know there has to be some romanticizing of the subject matter to appeal to a broader audience but I guess I was expecting a bit more raw feel to it. I get it tho.

This is EXACTLY where I am...

Word for word..

But I get it tho...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:48 PM - 2 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
medium.com

I dont agree.... Fictionalizing is the only fair way to deal with it. If its not a straight documentary it would be IMPOSSIBLE to get the story 'right' because there are too many disagreements about how it went.

One thing that I thought was hilarious was this line here -> "For example, records have labels that don’t fit the era. I understand that may not have been a priority given with how small the audience that would’ve noticed that is. Records that weren’t from the era being visible in shots? Inexcusable.

Do y'all remember that scene in Episode 6 @ 38:25 in, after the chick makes dude go down on her, and she tells him that she STILL won't push the record, she throws the record into an existing pile of "Throwaway" records...

Why in the pile is there a KILLA KUTS BOOTLEG promo? lmao

Those who were vinyl heads KNOW they didn't come out until the 90's AT LEAST...lol.

www.djjohnnym.com

Absolutely hilarious....
Β 6 10:47 PM - 2 September, 2016
If you guys noticed on episode 2 @ 13:48, the paint on the wall is of a color that wasn't available until a decade later. That changes the whole story for me and I just can't watch it anymore.

nm
d:raf 11:07 PM - 2 September, 2016
Anachronism schmanachronism...

mentalfloss.com
DJ GaFFle 4:21 PM - 17 May, 2017
So I just binged-watch all of Season 2.

If anyone can find it, please point me to the Nas intro track at the very beginning of Season 2, Episode 1.... I can't locate it anywhere.
Dj_Nix 1:36 PM - 25 May, 2017
They canceled the show :(
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:52 PM - 26 May, 2017
Quote:

Man, that sucks...

But my wife did ask me, who ELSE besides DJ's would watch it?
spike12 10:48 PM - 26 May, 2017
Quote:

I think they took too long between seasons and didn't have a any cliffhanger moving forward.. lost momentum.