Serato Blog Comments

Comments for the Serato Blog

Try SoundSwitch 1.0

3:05 AM, 11 Aug 2016
Discuss this blog entry here: serato.com
4ndrw 4:35 PM - 22 August, 2016
Can you please come up with a way to send some form of timecode that can be understood by Martin M-PC or Pangolin laser software?

Because.... that would revolutionise my world..
SoundSwitch Team 4:02 AM - 16 February, 2017
Hi Andrew,

This is actually already possible. You will need a USB to DMX interface that has DMX-in that is plugged into the computer running Martin M-PC.

We can then create a mapping for you that will send SoundSwitch info, synced with Serato DJ to the Martin M-PC.

get in touch at support@soundswitch.com
4ndrw 12:09 PM - 5 December, 2017
just catching up on tracked discussions on here, sorry I didn't see you'd replied until now!

It occurred to me recently when watching one of the newer soundswitch videos that this would be possible. So awesome to see you suggesting the same idea (many months before me!)

When I first got into lighting, I used to use a system called DMXIS that was a lighting control VSTplugin with hardware box (and also experimented with some other DMX stuff with Max4live inside ableton) to sequence lights to music for a band I was in, in a similar way to how SoundSwitch works. (I imagine you would've come across it in your research - there's not a ton of people implementing stuff like this)

I found it didn't scale well when adding more lights or lights with more features and while the workflow in SoundSwitch looks far superior to forcing Ableton to control lights using Max or DMXIS... there's still many similarities.

But (as I think you're suggesting), I could use the DMX to trigger lighting scenes in other dedicated and more complicated programs. I think I could do a lot more advanced stuff. Like complex movement patterns or timing offsets for parameters, all built using the FX engine, which would be super tedious to achieve with hardcoded automation lanes.

Another advantage of going through another piece of software is I'd hope it would make it easier to swap out fixtures if required or change their number.

It would also allow me to control my lighting rig during my sets but allow the rig to be operated natively by M-PC by myself or another operator during the other DJ's sets.......

(sucks trying to do both jobs at once!)

There's a few things I'd lose, eg. if I scratched, scratching through a lighting cue would be fun... and that would only work with the native implementation. But I'm no scratch DJ.

Also some of the potential detail for doing unique custom chases to match the fill in a song...
But having scenes and lights come in during song section changes would be good enough I think.

I don't know if I can justify the purchase just yet, but I'm definitely curious about what is possible!

Thanks for replying to me!