Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

PLEASE FIX - Serato Video for PC

djaldavila 7:51 AM - 10 August, 2016
PC users should not have to dual boot with mac os to properly run serato video. All my specs are there.. all the optimization steps have been tried. All the threads below show and prove many users have the problem and none of the suggestions work. (other than mac os option)

1549732 - serato.com
972093 - serato.com
1126437 - serato.com
1512616 - serato.com

Serato developers... what do you need in order to fix this for windows? I'm sure the return on investment for development hours will come through an increase of serato video plugins. Without video serato works great on my pc. Shame that I have switch hardware to use VDJ when I do video gigs. Let's get this fixed please.
DJ Tecniq 11:54 AM - 10 August, 2016
It would help if you did explain the specs of your machine. SDJ uses a lot of CPU power. Mac's just seem to run video better. If you don't have a dedicated video card you will run into nothing but problems. For example I'm running a Mid 2014 MBP with 16 gigs ram w/NVIDEA card and not even using a quarter of CPU with Serato Video. So explain the specs beforehand.
Papa Midnight 7:37 PM - 10 August, 2016
Tecniq, this has been a long standing problem with Serato's attitude with regards to Windows for YEARS, and stretches back to Serato's interface alone before the development of Serato Video (or even without accounting for Video SL).

There are threads here from the Penryn and Merom days asking why the GUI of products such as Serato SL and ITCH suffer from tearing, and stuttering, and that there were large numbers of dropouts on machines with 4GB of RAM, Dedicated GPUs (i.e.: the NVIDIA 9800M GT, or the GTX 260M), and processors such as the T9600 when running Windows.

Likewise, users like myself called out the b.s. by running OS X on those same machines, and all problems were suddenly magically fixed.

Before we even question specs, the elephant in the room needs to be addressed: Serato's (as an entity) seeming unwillingness to make marked improvements to their (frankly stated) port of the product to Windows -- because the fact that I've got, as an example, an older laptop with a i7-3630, 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX 680M, and Serato DJ still can't produce an interface that runs at a steady 60fps under Windows is absolutely incredible.
DJ Tecniq 8:28 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
Tecniq, this has been a long standing problem with Serato's attitude with regards to Windows for YEARS, and stretches back to Serato's interface alone before the development of Serato Video (or even without accounting for Video SL).

There are threads here from the Penryn and Merom days asking why the GUI of products such as Serato SL and ITCH suffer from tearing, and stuttering, and that there were large numbers of dropouts on machines with 4GB of RAM, Dedicated GPUs (i.e.: the NVIDIA 9800M GT, or the GTX 260M), and processors such as the T9600 when running Windows.

Likewise, users like myself called out the b.s. by running OS X on those same machines, and all problems were suddenly magically fixed.

Before we even question specs, the elephant in the room needs to be addressed: Serato's (as an entity) seeming unwillingness to make marked improvements to their (frankly stated) port of the product to Windows -- because the fact that I've got, as an example, an older laptop with a i7-3630, 16GB of DDR3, and a GTX 680M, and Serato DJ still can't produce an interface that runs at a steady 60fps under Windows is absolutely incredible.
Well I hate to tell you this but serato's code was written on a Mac. Sometimes it's best to just buy a Mac for video use. Sure you can use a Windows laptop but finding one that works is like finding a needle in a haystack. Windows has so many software/driver problems. Best of luck
Papa Midnight 8:54 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
Well I hate to tell you this but serato's code was written on a Mac. Sometimes it's best to just buy a Mac for video use. Sure you can use a Windows laptop but finding one that works is like finding a needle in a haystack. Windows has so many software/driver problems. Best of luck

And I hate to tell you this, but that's horseshit.

I'm well aware Serato develops on OS X (sorry, macOS). But Serato also produces a version of their software for Windows.

If Serato doesn't want Windows users, then do like Mix Emergency and say that this is for OS X (macOS) only, and stop producing a half-working version of Serato DJ.

Now, I'm not going to make one of those stupid "FIX IT OR I'M SWITCHING POST", but it is funny how neither Traktor nor Virtual DJ seem to have this problem...
djaldavila 9:18 PM - 10 August, 2016
All, please no more "just buy a mac" comments. We know, we know. I have personally used a mac and yes it works great for videos. Everyone has different reasons to stick to PCs and we are trying to use your software and want it to work well. It works great for non video gigs. More on this below.

First.. its true the specs matter but they do not really matter. Most of us venting have a 16gb pr ram, i7, and a properly configured nvidia gaming video card.

Lets get back to the main problem.. From what i have gathered. (And I want to be proved wrong here from a serato developer not a random mac user... PLEASE... because that would mean at least they are looking into it.) Serato within windows can only pass resolution info to the codec for one video when using something else besides quicktime. This is why one video will work great and your next one will be off centered, crash, or a large list of other issues. Especially if videos are from different formats. It does not seem to pass the right info to ffdshow so then it overloads the processor like crazy. In MACs, quicktime is built into the OS so it does not need this. This is why it just works great on a mac and it has nothing to do with specs. It's also the reason why serato has yet to invest time in a workaround for windows since it works naturally for mac and its easier to just say "buy a mac"

So ...buy a mac... No.. Why? Because Virtual DJ uses a its own ffdshow video decoder that is flawless on even the weakest of weakest built in video cards on PCs. I did a 6 hour video mix show without a hiccup on virtual dj a couple of weeks ago. I prefer to mix on serato so it sucks that i have to switch hardware and switch to virtual dj for video shows.

Let's stop pc users from spending hours optimizing video settings that wont help or having to use other dj software. Also lets please stop the "buy a mac" responses as the solution.

A technical update to the software is the most ideal solution. Can the serato developers come forward and please size this effort for an upcoming version release. I don't want to mix my videos on virtual dj anymore.
popnwave 10:25 PM - 10 August, 2016
1.9.x has seen some bug fixes on the PC side at least, that's a start. But the issue still remains that even on OS X, most of us are using Mix Emergency.

Personally on the PC side I'd be inclined to try out Rekordbox's new video plug in and see how it it plays. During the beta testing phase it seemed to be on par with SV's options at least.

Cheapest way to test would be to subscribe to RB for one month and see how it plays out for you. Maybe Pioneers jump back in to video will inspire Serato to shine the light back on SV but I wouldn't hold my breath for now.
i am Dj fLiP 11:08 PM - 10 August, 2016
SV is still way behind compared to others.. and I do understand where the OP's coming from.

I got out of Serato when I started doing videos and had to switch to VDJ.. Video files ran like a beast on my 13"MBP, but when I finally switched back to Serato, I had to upgrade to 15"mbp..

SV's is good, but not great.. I still miss other plugins/features from VDJ.. And if RB knocks the video plugin out of the park, I do hope Serato will step up a bit more on the Video side of the game.
Papa Midnight 11:42 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
I got out of Serato when I started doing videos and had to switch to VDJ.. Video files ran like a beast on my 13"MBP, but when I finally switched back to Serato, I had to upgrade to 15"mbp..

I remember when I first tried out video mixing years ago with Virtual DJ. It ran like butter on a Core 2 Duo. ITCH with Serato Video on a newer machine? That was a no go.
i am Dj fLiP 11:48 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:

I remember when I first tried out video mixing years ago with Virtual DJ. It ran like butter on a Core 2 Duo. ITCH with Serato Video on a newer machine? That was a no go.

yep, that was my issue, itch w/SV... SUCKED. HARD.
and that's what forced me to find another video dj software (unfortunately)
DJ Tecniq 1:57 AM - 11 August, 2016
I know it sucks SDJ is a huge resource hog esp Serato Video. Scratchlive w/Serato video I'm sure would have no problem on a core2duo machine. Way less CPU and runs smoother IMO. I understand there are pc's that work. I'm the type of person that would rather deal with less headache and just get a Mac. When I first got Video-SL I was using an HP it however wasn't good enough for video which is why I have a Mac in the first place. Codecs can be a lot of the problem as you mention. There's also a post in the SV discussion about "which pc's work with Serato video" i would suggest taking a look at it and see what's working for others.
Papa Midnight 2:34 AM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
I'm the type of person that would rather deal with less headache and just get a Mac.

Interesting: I'm the type of person who would rather it be dealt with by the product getting fixed, rather than just throwing a new resource at it...

Instead of espousing consumerism by telling users to "buy a mac", how about they just fix their product?

If they don't want to fix their product, then cease producing a Windows version, and announce that they're focusing all resources exclusively on macOS moving forward. At least, then they could stop marketing a product that only half-works when compared with it's macOS counter-part.
DJ Tecniq 4:10 AM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
Interesting: I'm the type of person who would rather it be dealt with by the product getting fixed, rather than just throwing a new resource at it...

Instead of espousing consumerism by telling users to "buy a mac", how about they just fix their product?

If they don't want to fix their product, then cease producing a Windows version, and announce that they're focusing all resources exclusively on macOS moving forward. At least, then they could stop marketing a product that only half-works when compared with it's macOS counter-part.
Well just by from what I've seen Serato Video hasn't gotten much updates. I mean hell the bug with the preview video screens missing still happens even on a my Mid 2014 MBP. However a restart seems to fix it and they appear again. There are other bugs that still happen since day 1. What I'm saying is if you think they are going to fix the Windows problems you are hoping for a miracle.
DJ Tecniq 4:12 AM - 11 August, 2016
Anyway here's the post of users using pc's with great results -> serato.com

Wish you all the best.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:29 AM - 11 August, 2016
I just don't get why people hate on VDJ so much??

I could see if your using turntables/timecodes but even then VDJ is pretty much on point with Serato as of 8.

If your using a midi controller of some sort there is really no difference.

As for fx's well VDJ shits on SV all day , some do look like shit still but but theres really nothing I can't do with SV that I can't do with VDJ.

I use both a Mac and a PC and I've gotten my PC to run SV just fine but it has its moments every now and again which I dont have time for.

As for Serato not supporting the PC side or every fixing it, I believe they kinda said it already when they officially started to Mix Emergency. Ever since then SV has not seen anything and probably never will.

If you want them to ever fix it, stop telling your friends and anyone who is interested in video to not buy it. In the end Serato is a company and they will notice that lose of income at some point and then they'll have to trash it (which I believe they already have) or actually sit down and hash this out.

People need to quit buying the product and just bash them on every social media outlet at your disposal.
Papa Midnight 12:02 PM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
I just don't get why people hate on VDJ so much??

No one here is bashing on VDJ. Quite the opposite actually. As I pointed out...

Quote:
...it is funny how neither Traktor nor Virtual DJ seem to have this problem...

Quote:
What I'm saying is if you think they are going to fix the Windows problems you are hoping for a miracle.

Hoping for a miracle? No. Expecting them to provide support for a product that they've produced and continue to market? Yes. If they do not wish to meet that expectation, then cease production of the product.

It's seriously not that complicated, and I don't see why you keep directing this back to "Buy a mac" or "see what these Windows users have done". Both statements are completely irrelevant to myself: i.imgur.com

I stand by my original statement: acknowledge the product is broken, and fix it, or acknowledge that you don't care about the specific OS, and stop producing a broken product for it.
djaldavila 9:36 PM - 11 August, 2016
To be fair, I'm not dissing VDJ because unlike serato video ...it works and it does read your crates. It's just inconvenient to have leave my turntables and rane mixer at home and pull out a controller that works with virtual dj to do a video show. Maybe it would be faster to have virtual dj talk to RANE to support the hardware along with the timecode vinyl. I've never used VDJ with vinyl before but if they can do it and the video works.. I would.

I want to here from serato programmers on this thread to see if they have looked into the solution. I can help them find developers to contract... lets just get this fixed...
popnwave 10:08 PM - 11 August, 2016
Not that simple, honestly.

VDJ is from a completely different code base and, as mentioned, Video-SL and later SV were entrenched with QuickTime it seems and the demise of it seems to go hand in hand with the performance stagnation.

I think a complete recode will be the end result and a fresh code base is what Pioneer and Inklen brought to the table with their video plugins/apps. How soon that happens? That is the million dollar question because unless there is a huge influx of demand or revenue to be generated for it I don't see it high on any org chart or road map.
Papa Midnight 11:37 PM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
because unless there is a huge influx of demand

How does four years of demand sound? In example: serato.com
popnwave 11:41 PM - 11 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
because unless there is a huge influx of demand

How does four years of demand sound? In example: serato.com

Not for fixes, but revenue and the guy who started that thread has since ditched the PC platform.

Seriously though, I would be using VDJ week in and week out up until Rekordbox's video plug in came out this summer if I was on PC.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 11:46 PM - 11 August, 2016
What RANE mixer are you using because VDJ supports them all I believe.
i am Dj fLiP 12:10 AM - 12 August, 2016
VDJ is probably the most versatile when it comes to controllers as they stay on top of the current controllers/mixers/etc.

VDJ works w/timecode and Videos work well with it just like how Serato is..
Last VDJ I used was VDJ7, and I know 8's been around, and I could only imagine how much better it is now.

Serato just needs to act up on SV specially now that we also have SoundSwitch, it's almost a fact that Visuals are pretty important nowadays..

So calling and Serato folks want to shed some light on this?
I think it would be helpful for the PC folks to have SOME hope..
djaldavila 5:53 PM - 12 August, 2016
i have a 62 and a 57sl. Can virtual dj work on them?
the SOUNDINSURGENT 10:59 PM - 12 August, 2016
The 62 is natively supported, www.virtualdj.com

but the 57 won't work with VDJ because it doesn't pass midi but the the 57mk2 is also natively supported as well.
Funkytownstopsix 1:46 PM - 17 August, 2016
The last two PC laptops that I purchased were Alienware both when I installed Serato with QuickTime gave me issues especially with HD Videos. The Fix,,,,,, well I updated QuickTime after which I have zero issues using my PC. Actually it runs it smoother than my 2012 mac but the dark colors are not as clear as they are on my mac. One laptop has 16gig video card the other has 3gig both work the same. Any of these laptops can run serato video but understand the program was written for MAC. I have always had a pc that could run serato and I have always had at least 2 MAC's at this point I will not buy another Mac ever again,,,,, yes I will miss ME while using a PC but on the real the music is what keeps the party jumping.

There is one problem I do have with my Alienware that has the 16gig with serato because it is an HD screen the gui is small they have yet to work this out even though they say they are. I wont say serato is making leaps and bounds but I have been with them from the beginning of video and has gotten better just at snails pace.
Funkytownstopsix 2:42 PM - 17 August, 2016
My bad I wrote 16gig I meant 8 with 16gig.... this model
www.dell.com

I use it for Serato but I also use it to make cartoons.
Burny 5:08 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quicktime is a dangerous app to have on a pc now, extremely vulnerable to exploits.
Funkytownstopsix 8:20 PM - 17 August, 2016
Yeah but here's the deal I don't use that laptop for anything except serato and my cartoon software. So what am I vulnerable too, not much!!!! Furthermore tell me something in tech world that is not vulnerable to exploits...
the SOUNDINSURGENT 4:56 PM - 20 August, 2016
This laptop is like 4/5 years old now and isn't anything special, I'm online everything with it and it runs SV just fine 👍

Watchm.youtube.com

I pretty followed Listendats advice and all my videos are properly encoded.

In that clip I was running timecodes off a set of Denon 5500's with a Pioneer DJM 850 for my soundcard. I had all the video fx's running including the masters plus all 8 samples while using PnT on both decks and samples.

I dont have any resizing problems and this I believe is because my videos are encoded the right way (most of my stuff is from MixShowTools over the past 5/6 years).

The laptop has a slower i7 (not a quad core), only 8 gig of ram and a Nvidia 745m with a dedicated 2 gigs of ram. Oh and its an ASUS.
DJ Tecniq 5:15 PM - 20 August, 2016
Quote:
This laptop is like 4/5 years old now and isn't anything special, I'm online everything with it and it runs SV just fine 👍

Watchm.youtube.com

I pretty followed Listendats advice and all my videos are properly encoded.

In that clip I was running timecodes off a set of Denon 5500's with a Pioneer DJM 850 for my soundcard. I had all the video fx's running including the masters plus all 8 samples while using PnT on both decks and samples.

I dont have any resizing problems and this I believe is because my videos are encoded the right way (most of my stuff is from MixShowTools over the past 5/6 years).

The laptop has a slower i7 (not a quad core), only 8 gig of ram and a Nvidia 745m with a dedicated 2 gigs of ram. Oh and its an ASUS.
I've heard quite a few users with Asus laptops running SV. I think if it's a powerful video card the better results.
Dj ListenDat 12:10 PM - 3 November, 2016
It's funny to come here FOUR years later after my battle with Serato to have some upgrades on SV and still see that i was right about giving up...........

Guys stop looking everywhere for a solution. I explained the problem FOUR years ago here :

serato.com

The problem is that in order to achieve video decoding of HD/ FULL HD / 4K contents the CPU is not enough. I won't explain it again as i lost too much energy during 2 years trying to convince Serato and even explain that to them cause it seems they just couldn't understand it.

When intel brought i5 and i7 CPU it was coming with GPU chip that was designed with a technology allowing to decode and encode H264 in hardware. So making it blazing fast. That is why the Macbook equiped with that GPUs could encode H264 videos faster that the most powerful macpro that had nvidia GPU. It is called Intel Quick Sync. Look in the forum or google.

Time as gone by and not only intel but also nvidia and amd have worked to implement better H264 and H265 HEVC decoding/encoding functions in their GPUs. All the PC video software use it. When you see "hardware acceleration" is that ! The GPU is used to decode/encode and can do it so much faster than CPU. Nowadays when you work with 4K video, considering the size, is just a non sense to use CPU encoding as it would take too long to encode. Anyway guys please just make some search on google you will find it very quickly and well explained.

Serato Video is working better on mac just because the way OSX is done make the GPU hardware acceleration used natively so doesn't need to be activated through software. Unfortunately gpu hardware acceleration is not natively used in windows and has to be implemented in each software to tell it to use GPU to handle video.........Serato just never wanted to implement that........it would have solved ALL THE PROBLEM............

The worst for me was to fight against people that was defending Serato without even trying to look on their side on the internet.........I hate them.........they were keeping saying CPU encoding is better......i want to see them now working with 4K contents on PC and know if they're still doing CPU encoding............i'm not even sure CPU can do H265 HEVC encoding...............anyway........
Papa Midnight 12:34 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Serato just never wanted to implement that........it would have solved ALL THE PROBLEM............

Honestly, I keep saying Serato needs to stop the b.s. and just admit they have no intention of ever providing proper support for Windows. Either do it right or not at all.
Funkytownstopsix 6:05 PM - 28 November, 2016
I'm a Die Hard PC guy I can run Serato on my PC/PC's only thing I did was update QuickTime after that no problems with HD Videos,, haven't tried 4k.. Most don't want to update because their pc can be hacked... BLAH I only use mine to dj.... I agree it should be a 64 bit. I downloaded Mixvibes Cross DJ and that sucker installed the 32bit and 64 bit....Not a bad dj software but it's not Serato but it good in some areas that serato is not. Serato has never been a PC friendly but they sell it as such. Sucks you have 16gig of ram and can only use 4.
Djoseviera 5:18 PM - 15 April, 2017
I'm very disappointed with Serato Video in Windows, Virtual DJ runs perfectly with any video...
Serato Video needs new release without quicktime in windows.
i have spent much money and time, and i not have great performance with serato video...
(sorry, i don't speak english very well)
DJ Tecniq 5:20 AM - 17 April, 2017
Quote:
I'm very disappointed with Serato Video in Windows, Virtual DJ runs perfectly with any video...
Serato Video needs new release without quicktime in windows.
i have spent much money and time, and i not have great performance with serato video...
(sorry, i don't speak english very well)
What are the full specs of your machine? Serato Video uses more CPU than VDJ it has more features. It's very difficult to get SV to work smoothly on a pc. These are just facts.
Djoseviera 2:23 PM - 17 April, 2017
Hi!
My laptop is a MSI GT62VR 7RE:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX-1070 8GB DDR5
16GB DDR 4
SSD PIC-e(2000mg/s) 256GB
Windows 10 Pro
Serato 1.9.6 - Quicktime 7.7.9

i tried many codecs, setup guides from serato web/support, optimized system, graphic card optimized...
I have white flashing when i set video buffer in 2GB, if i set video buffer in 1gb i not have white flashing but sometimes some videos have "jumps".
:/
Djoseviera 2:40 PM - 17 April, 2017
VDJ runs perfectly on Windows 10, serato team should do something about this.
DJ Tecniq 4:09 PM - 17 April, 2017
Quote:
Hi!
My laptop is a MSI GT62VR 7RE:
Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX-1070 8GB DDR5
16GB DDR 4
SSD PIC-e(2000mg/s) 256GB
Windows 10 Pro
Serato 1.9.6 - Quicktime 7.7.9

i tried many codecs, setup guides from serato web/support, optimized system, graphic card optimized...
I have white flashing when i set video buffer in 2GB, if i set video buffer in 1gb i not have white flashing but sometimes some videos have "jumps".
:/
My only suggestion is to try to do a complete clean install of your operating system (back up data first) Your pc def has well enough specs for video use. I don't know why Macs run smoothly with video my only guess is windows is having conflict with drivers/codecs where Macs don't suffer from this. I would always try updating any of your graphics cards or any updates the computer might need. I hope you resolve it good luck.
Djoseviera 5:01 PM - 17 April, 2017
Thanks DJ Tecniq
I tried comprete clean install, only serato with quicktime & itunes only, latest drivers from nvidia...
all videos from record pools (bpm supreme & smash vision)
habdbrake with windows
preset...

i still have issues (white flashing+jumps in videos)
DJ Tecniq 5:06 PM - 17 April, 2017
Quote:
Thanks DJ Tecniq
I tried comprete clean install, only serato with quicktime & itunes only, latest drivers from nvidia...
all videos from record pools (bpm supreme & smash vision)
habdbrake with windows
preset...

i still have issues (white flashing+jumps in videos)
How long have you been using serato video? what is connected to your 2nd display? Maybe it's the HDMI cable that you are using that is causing this flicker? I once had a mini display port to HDMI adapter that caused something similar to this. I replaced the adapter and all was fine. You need to look at other possible causes other than the software. How it's connected may be the culprit. Test diff cords/adapters if you use them. I only needed an video adapter for my older mac. I have a mid 2014 MBP now which has an hdmi output so an adapter is not needed.
Djoseviera 5:14 PM - 17 April, 2017
I have this issues without second display and with 1 o 2 external displays :/
Serato video preview & output have flashes and "jumps"
The only way is setting buffer to 1GB, but sometimes i have "jumps" in videos"
If i set buffer to 2GB i not have "jumps" but i have white flashing xD

(sorry i not speak english very well :/ )
DJ Tecniq 12:27 AM - 18 April, 2017
What are your settings in Serato video? Try enabling "vsync"
Djoseviera 1:19 AM - 18 April, 2017
Thanks again DJ Tecniq :)

i tried with "vsync" and changing all settings, but i still have same issues :(
DJ Tecniq 2:42 AM - 18 April, 2017
Does your computer have these white flashes when yuh play video in QuickTime or any other video player? Have you reinstalled QuickTime?
Djoseviera 3:14 AM - 18 April, 2017
No, i not have these flashes when a use quicktime in the same videos :/
Yes, quicktime updated & reinstalled :S

I triying other VideoDJing software with my ddj-sx2 and i no have issues...
DJ Tecniq 4:39 AM - 18 April, 2017
Are you making sure the computer is using the nvidia chip when you video mix? It may be using the lntegrated graphics card.
Djoseviera 11:11 AM - 18 April, 2017
Yes, i use nvidia GPU. I did this before try Serato Video at the firt time:
support.serato.com
:S
Djoseviera 5:31 PM - 25 April, 2017
Watchvimeo.com this is the issue at 01:28 :/
Serato, Support
Dave. 4:36 AM - 28 April, 2017
@all users in this thread - if you are having issues with Serato Video, try the following optimizations:

- support.serato.com

- support.serato.com

If they don't help, get in touch by opening a help request with a screen shot of your Video Output window and your computers system report file. This is the most efficient way to get your Video issues looked at.
Serato, Support
Dave. 4:38 AM - 28 April, 2017
@Djoseviera - sorry to see you're running into issues with SV.

Could you run through the same optimizations I suggested in my above post:

- support.serato.com

- support.serato.com

After doing so, please also set your Video buffer setting to 1.5GB (between 1GB and 2GB)

What's the result? Do you still get 'jumps' in videos?

Do you have a video showing the following behaviour: "sometimes i have "jumps" in videos"?

- Dave
Spontaneous Mixx 6:56 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
It would help if you did explain the specs of your machine. SDJ uses a lot of CPU power. Mac's just seem to run video better. If you don't have a dedicated video card you will run into nothing but problems. For example I'm running a Mid 2014 MBP with 16 gigs ram w/NVIDEA card and not even using a quarter of CPU with Serato Video. So explain the specs beforehand.

I know this is an OLD comment, but I just wanted to point out errors in your judgement. "SDJ uses a lot of CPU power" is exactly the problem. Because there is practically zero optimization for the windows environment, tasks that should be offloaded to the GPU aren't, so it's not a question of if the machine is capable, it's a question of why hasn't the team rebuilt the windows version to take advantage of the proper API's , rather it's DX11/12, OpenGL, Vulkan, or whatever.

"If you don't have a dedicated video card you will run into nothing but problems." is not necessarily true either, because if you have a QuickSync capable core processor, (probably skylake or later), you can get away with running sdj video with no discrete graphics card.

The problem, isn't with the hardware so much, it's with the lack of attempt to create a solid windows version. Instead we get a barely functional (squeaks by) port of the mac version. It runs, just not well, and the OP is right, Serato needs to fix that.
Spontaneous Mixx 7:19 PM - 12 June, 2017
Quote:
I'm a Die Hard PC guy I can run Serato on my PC/PC's only thing I did was update QuickTime after that no problems with HD Videos,, haven't tried 4k.. Most don't want to update because their pc can be hacked... BLAH I only use mine to dj.... I agree it should be a 64 bit. I downloaded Mixvibes Cross DJ and that sucker installed the 32bit and 64 bit....Not a bad dj software but it's not Serato but it good in some areas that serato is not. Serato has never been a PC friendly but they sell it as such. Sucks you have 16gig of ram and can only use 4.

Here's the problem. If Serato built the Windows version of SDJ to be performance-dependent on Quicktime, then they should have re-wrote it the instant apple ended support for Quicktime on windows: www.engadget.com. It's no longer just a security concern anymore, it's an unsupported platform.

They need to switch to a hardware-accel-supported video decoder that is not hardware dependent too. I personally refuse to support apple or intel with my hard earned dollars, so we need a platform that works on AMD/NVidia/Intel/ATI, whatever, even if they have to license something like coreAVC. it needs to be right regardless of platform, within reason of reasonable system requirements.
phaeton 10:37 AM - 17 July, 2017
Im having the same problems....do you know to activate the debug panel...i find i have these problems with 1280x720 and 1080 videos..the debug panel will tell you the resolution of the video and fps.
phaeton 10:39 AM - 17 July, 2017
Quote:
@all users in this thread - if you are having issues with Serato Video, try the following optimizations:

- support.serato.com

- support.serato.com

If they don't help, get in touch by opening a help request with a screen shot of your Video Output window and your computers system report file. This is the most efficient way to get your Video issues looked at.

How do i get the system report file?
DJ Tecniq 5:52 PM - 17 July, 2017
Just wanted to update this post. I'm a Mac user and lately I've been having video freezing. My specs are top of the line. It seems SV has gotten worse with 1.9 don't think they will ever fix it though it's long outdated. Let's all not forget the video add on was first created for Scratchlive then they later moved it to SDJ. They should of just built it from scratch again. Years later here we are lol...they will discontinue it soon.
DJ Tecniq 5:53 PM - 17 July, 2017
So if you pc users think it's just you you're not alone.
popnwave 5:58 PM - 17 July, 2017
I have a feeling when SDJ goes 64bit the SV plugin will get updated to work with it. That, will hopefully, be the point it gets the love it needs.
Djoseviera 5:58 PM - 17 July, 2017
serato video need's a new release, specially for windows, without quicktime.
Djoseviera 6:10 PM - 17 July, 2017
Me conformaría con que serato video no usase quicktime en windows, seguro que con eso al menos no daría fallos.
Hace pocos meses probé rekordbox video y fallaba mas que serato video. Ahora, tras sólo unos meses después, rekordbox video no falla ni una sola vez. Si pioneer dj ha conseguido sacar un plugin de vídeo que funcione bien en windows tengo claro que serato también puede, un asunto distinto es que quieran o les salga rentable.

Repito, el problema es quicktime.

PD: Si a serato no le sale rentable dar un buen soporte a windows, por favor, que me manden un mensaje privado y me vuelvo a apple. Guardaré el secreto XD.
PD2: Lamento tener que expresarme en mi idioma, pero para algo está el traductor de google. XD.
Dj ListenDat 10:18 AM - 18 July, 2017
It's very funny to come here.........i had talked about it for years. Hopefully i understand nothing would move.......in late 2012 i was trying to convince them to use gpu hardware acceleration. Their only argument was that it was less efficient than cpu decoding. Even with proofs like giving links to different tests showing how gpu hardware acceleration gave faster performance by also reducing cpu usage etc....they never do anything. The saddest was the different users that was defending Serato instead of helping to make things move. I remember how i was frustrated. I was willing to help i had even created a thread explaining how to use lav filters to force use of gpu with serato video........i was treated like a fool lool. The guys were constantly saying cpu is better blabla !! They weren't humble enough to admit that when you want to decode a 720p or 1080p video clip (which have very low bitrate compare to movies (often max 5mbit/s) you don't need it to be post processed by the cpu. Intel created intel quick sync especially for this purpose. It used to be very painful to encode videos to put it on a smartphone or even being able to play video via airplay as cpu encoding/decoding is sooooo slowwwww. Intel Quick Sync came to solve that with incredible high speed in decoding/encoding. The saddest is that gpu hardware decoding were implemented 12 years ago in Virtual DJ :

VirtualDJ 3.1 (07 August 2005)

New video features:

VirtualDJ can use DXVA (DirectX® Video Acceleration) and Nvidia® PureVideo® for hardware dvd-decoding

That's so funny isn't ? Again i wish i could understand why instead of helping me convince serato that their video software were updated and needed work to implement gpu hardware acceleration, they were constantly saying that the quality of gpu decoding wasn't as good as cpu........yes in fact but i doubt someone could make the difference when it's about video clips. Most of them have so low bitrates and quality compared to movie. Moreover the intel quick sync is very efficient and different tests show it on the net.

To resume, gpu hardware acceleration has been existing for more than 10 years and is used in EVERY other video softwares (ALL of them have been using it for ages !). Serato had time to develop it or even pay another company or developers to implement it. I remember even offering them to contribute to pay an Indian dev from rentacoder.com but they weren't interested..........I repeat again forget about this software ! I don't like VDJ and still find that after all those years the sound is a bit metallic on it an turntable timecode not enough accurate (Serato seems unbeatable) so i went from pc to mac which was hard as i had always had PC since i was 10 (i'm 32 now). But finally when you get used to MAC it's ok and you can use mixemergency which use gpu acceleration to decode videos (they unfortunatly still use cpu for recording video but you can record videos with a video capture software (quicktime does it natively and use gpu to encode without impacting the system ressources))
Dj ListenDat 10:21 AM - 18 July, 2017
Old posts (if you have time read it and you'll understand how my fight with Serato Video was hard and how many i tried to convince them to implement gpu hardware acceleration. This will make you understand how much you should stop that war and just invest on a MAC + Mixemergency if you really want to do video mixing in the best conditions

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com
phaeton 5:55 AM - 19 July, 2017
Quote:
Old posts (if you have time read it and you'll understand how my fight with Serato Video was hard and how many i tried to convince them to implement gpu hardware acceleration. This will make you understand how much you should stop that war and just invest on a MAC + Mixemergency if you really want to do video mixing in the best conditions

serato.com

serato.com

serato.com

3-4 years on..and i still read your posts when i do a fresh reinstall
of windows...i just got a new lappy 6gb of video ram...was having problems before, but now all ive done is install lavfilters and im getting real good results (upto 90+fps) an still testing, Thanks for all your help dude.
Djoseviera 4:08 PM - 19 July, 2017
I have many issues with lav filters, no centered videos, serato video freezes...
i tried all tutorials & guides in this forum, all guides in serato web and nothing.

(sorry for bad english xD)
phaeton 6:02 AM - 20 July, 2017
The only issues ive had lately is not centered...but its only with strange resolution videos...one video is black and white and on a lean to the right lol...but it is 854x480 resolution.
DJ Tecniq 6:28 AM - 20 July, 2017
Quote:
The only issues ive had lately is not centered...but its only with strange resolution videos...one video is black and white and on a lean to the right lol...but it is 854x480 resolution.
Could be from where you are getting your videos 854x480 does not sound like it's encoded correctly. Where did you download it from?
Papa Midnight 5:21 AM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:
854x480 does not sound like it's encoded correctly

854x480 is a valid resolution (en.wikipedia.org & en.wikipedia.org), and has a ratio of ~1.779:1. That falls within the range of 16:9 (which is ~1.777:1).

Quote:
The saddest was the different users that was defending Serato instead of helping to make things move. I remember how i was frustrated. I was willing to help i had even created a thread explaining how to use lav filters to force use of gpu with serato video........i was treated like a fool lool.

Man, I've been saying this crap since ITCH 1.5 (serato.com).

I told you all years ago (serato.com): by their own practices, Serato has demonstrated that Windows is barely even a secondary product to them.

Likewise, I still stand by what I said back in November of 2016 (serato.com). Likewise, everyone else around here knows it too: serato.com.
popnwave 2:49 PM - 21 July, 2017
Do you blame them? The sheer amount of hardware varieties you have to factor in makes testing on the PC platform a huge undertaking.

The closest thing I think they could do is have a recommended brand and series that they actively test with on the PC side. Of course this could get crazy quickly with people asking them to try out other hardware.
Papa Midnight 3:57 PM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:
Do you blame them?

Yes, I do.

Quote:
The sheer amount of hardware varieties you have to factor in makes testing on the PC platform a huge undertaking.

That is an argument which was debunked years ago the second people (myself included) started loading up OS X (serato.com, serato.com, serato.com) on all those same hardware varieties you speak of, and suddenly had magically fully working systems.

As I've said before of Serato: "acknowledge the product is broken, and fix it, or acknowledge that you don't care about the specific OS, and stop producing a broken product for it."
Djoseviera 4:02 PM - 21 July, 2017
About of different hardware on windows 10. Virtual DJ Video plugin & Rekordbox video plugin works perfectly on windows 10. If they can, why serato video no?
popnwave 4:44 PM - 21 July, 2017
You guys keep barking up that tree.

VDJ and RB have been waaaay more active in their development, unlike SV.

And
Quote:
Quote:
Do you blame them?

Yes, I do.

Quote:
The sheer amount of hardware varieties you have to factor in makes testing on the PC platform a huge undertaking.

That is an argument which was debunked years ago the second people (myself included) started loading up OS X (serato.com, serato.com, serato.com) on all those same hardware varieties you speak of, and suddenly had magically fully working systems.

As I've said before of Serato: "acknowledge the product is broken, and fix it, or acknowledge that you don't care about the specific OS, and stop producing a broken product for it."

So even better, ditch Win10 and use a Hackintosh if that 8+ year old conversation is to be believed. And the fact Hackintoshes only run well when you consider -specific- models of laptops known to work well with the versions of OS X in the wild is even more telling. Certain, limited selections of hardware are going to play nicer than even the most overpower and untested configurations. Until SV completely ditches QT and switches to something like DirectX you're out of luck.

I think a 64bit refresh is your only hope, and bitching about it is pointless. Use a product that works for you now and don't pine for what worked in the past. Push forward.
Papa Midnight 5:11 PM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:
I think a 64bit refresh is your only hope, and bitching about it is pointless. Use a product that works for you now and don't pine for what worked in the past. Push forward.

Just so that there's no ambiguity: your position is that Serato shouldn't fix it's product, and that everyone should accept that rather than asking them to properly support something that they claim to?
popnwave 6:42 PM - 21 July, 2017
Quote:

Just so that there's no ambiguity: your position is that Serato shouldn't fix it's product, and that everyone should accept that rather than asking them to properly support something that they claim to?

No, I am saying: If you value your time, you will use a product that works RIGHT NOW and not continue to wait for SV to be brought up to spec. If Serato gets around to fixing it is irrelevant, how much time you spend complaining about it is. Now, most of us have fallback solutions in place already. On Mac it's Mix Emergency on PC it might be VDJ or Rekordbox at this point.
Mr Wilks 6:51 PM - 21 July, 2017
I've been following this thread and have to agree there's a real lack of Windows input from Serato where as the other DJ/VJ apps seem to nail Windows.

Mixvibes just launched RemixVideo beta for Windows which seems a good option as it has Ableton Link included djworx.com

It's a shame as apps like Resolume etc really shine on Windows but Serato can't make two mp4 videos play together reliably.

I ended up getting a 15" MacBook Pro to solve my issues but felt I shouldn't have had to. If you sell a product it should be capable of delivering to an expected standard and feel confident in use.
Djoseviera 5:35 PM - 31 August, 2017
Serato video is a shame, virtual dj and rekord box video works really fine.
if they don't upgrade SV, maybe, serato must stop selling this plugin on windows...
Spontaneous Mixx 6:29 PM - 12 September, 2017
Quote:
serato video need's a new release, specially for windows, without quicktime.

+1 to this

Quote:
Do you blame them? The sheer amount of hardware varieties you have to factor in makes testing on the PC platform a huge undertaking.

Except for the fact that it's not though. You have to develop the app using graphics API's and there are API's out there that all GPU's understand. DX12 would make it two code bases. (which might be slightly obnoxious), but would basically work on ANY Windows GPU acceleration from Windows 8 or later. Or you could use Vulkan, if Apple would finally support it. A lot of the pain for PC users probably has to do with the fact that Apple keeps building *MACBOOK PRO* machines with S#!TTY integrated intel graphics. As long as Apple keeps doing it's own thing (Metal instead of Vulkan), and the Developers keep apple systems happy with an un-optimized port to windows, well, here we are.

The BEST answer, honestly, is probably to fork and have two code bases. One optimized for Metal and one for DX12 or Vulkan
Djoseviera 8:24 PM - 12 September, 2017
maybe, making a petition in change.org ¿?
popnwave 8:27 PM - 12 September, 2017
They see these forums. They don't talk about it so either 1) there's something deep behind the scenes being worked on or 2) they will let it out to pasture. The moment they hashed out the differences with Mix Emergency I felt the slow death was coming.
Spontaneous Mixx 8:32 PM - 12 September, 2017
Unfortunately, I think the bulk of the development time is likely spent on working with hardware manufacturers to support every newest piece of DJ gear being developed and tossed out to market. I really wish there was a new "from-the-ground-up" rebuild going on, but they would likely never tell us if it were.

It is necessary though
J-rod281 8:43 PM - 21 November, 2017
With the leaks that came out from SDJ 2.0 do you guys think we might see any hope that enough coding has changed to help us out..?
Djoseviera 8:52 PM - 21 November, 2017
I'm not have any hope in it, probably serato 2.0/pro use the same video plugin (with quicktime as decoder...)
They had many time to fix it.

(sorry for my english again XD)
popnwave 9:23 PM - 21 November, 2017
I think it will rest completely on if they finally fix the Windows stuff so it uses the correct decoder, not sure what can really be done on the OS X side since it can still use Quicktime.

Of course on mac you better be using Mix Emergency anyway.
Djoseviera 9:25 PM - 21 November, 2017
I purchased rekordbuddy and i moving to rekordbox dj, rekordbox video is working really fine in my pc

Mac release can still using quicktime, but windows version needs other decoder
Samvideoman 9:56 PM - 6 December, 2017
So I'm new to serato video, but i have both PC and Mac. On the Mac it works like it should, on the PC it's a Joke, audio plays with no problem, but video is like 1 frame every 5 sec. Just for fun i uninstalled and installed serato 1.8 and the video plugin required a serial number then, i pressed Demo and tried playing back the video's that where not working in 1.9.10. they play back Fine! little to no bump in CPU, i can scratch the video, add FX's works!. I uninstalled 1.8 and installed 1.9. That too worked as expected, but the Video add on required the serial so i used demo. once i got to 1.9.2 that's when they changes the authorization on the add on and that's when it stopped working. I attempted every version from 1.9.2 up and got the same problem. So then i see that in the program folder that the Video app is it's own app. I install 1.9.0 copy the video app to the desktop, uninstall 1.9 and install 1.9.10. I then copy the video application and overwrite the 1.9.10 video app. Launch serato and boom, the video's play back like they should, only problem is there is a big DEMO watermark over the video screen. So i know it's not my computer that's causing the problems.
Samvideoman 1:45 AM - 12 December, 2017
So with some more testing, i was able to activate the video app/plugin in version 1.9.0 and video's play as they should. i then copied the video app from the serato folder to my desktop. uninstalled 1.9.0 and installed 1.9.10. Launched it and tested video. No go! video audio plays great, but video like 1 frame every 20-30 sec. I then closed out of serato and copied the video app from the desktop v1.9.0 into the serato folder. It asked me to overwrite what was there. I said yes. I then launched serato 1.9.10 and clicked the video button, up popped the full screen window and i loaded a video, worked like a charm. No more watermark and videos play back as expected. I did notice thought that when i click on FX the pull down list are blank, so no video FX:-( But at least i get good video playback on a second monitor and the preview tab in serato. Hope this helps somone. Serato please fix this problem, i love your software and as a mobile DJ i need all of it to work!
joaoluciofreitas 5:38 PM - 3 January, 2018
OLA! I currently use a Pioneer DJM-850 Mixer with CDJ-850K !! I bought on the official site of the pioneer the serato dj and the serato dvs to use the program without the use of the interface, using the mixer djm-850 !!!! up to all that well I can use serato dj, I can use the record player, everything is perfect run !! more when using the video serato is not obeying the fader and crosfader to cut and to do the video mixing! Audio works more than the fader does!

I already have all the CDJ updates of the Mixer including the firmware and do not obey! try to do the mapping via mid, but in case of use of the Mixer without audio interface the serato do not have this resource

a question with with this setup can I mix audio and video with serato DVS, without using the audio interface (sl-4)?

Best regards

joão lúcio
DJ Tecniq 6:08 PM - 3 January, 2018
This mixer should be able to mix audio/video you may need to map the faders in the software if it’s not working correctly. If you purchased the DVS expansion pack the mixer does not need an SL interface to function.
DJ Tecniq 6:15 PM - 3 January, 2018
Here’s the DVS tutorial which mentions your specific hardware youtu.be
joaoluciofreitas 6:31 PM - 3 January, 2018
Quote:
This mixer should be able to mix audio/video you may need to map the faders in the software if it’s not working correctly. If you purchased the DVS expansion pack the mixer does not need an SL interface to function.

Hi! I bought the serato dvs expassão package !! but I have not been able to do this on the screen, I have updated all the drives and firmware of the mixer !! I can only mix audio, but I can not enable the fader and crosfader !!!
the SOUNDINSURGENT 3:18 AM - 4 January, 2018
Did you turn the midi on on the mixer??

There a button in the top right corner...
DJ Tecniq 3:47 AM - 4 January, 2018
Quote:
Did you turn the midi on on the mixer??

There a button in the top right corner...
Good point. Usually by default the faders should be mapped already my Pioneer S9 was already default for use for video mixing but maybe the 850 isn’t?
popnwave 3:59 AM - 4 January, 2018
I think the 850 was one of the last models you still had to do it by hand. It was certainly a step forward from my 900 that you needed the midi -> usb adapter on top of that to map in SSL/SDJ.
popnwave 4:00 AM - 4 January, 2018
Typo, I had the 800, not the 900.
DJ Tecniq 4:03 AM - 4 January, 2018
I had the DJM 700 it was able to video mix but needed a midi to usb interface plugged into the midi out of the mixer. After that it was fully mappable but used up a USB port.
popnwave 4:04 AM - 4 January, 2018
Yep same thing on the 800, the 850 though has the USB port on it so you don't need that extra interface, BUT you still needed to map it manually.
DJ Tecniq 4:06 AM - 4 January, 2018
Yeah that’s def more convenient and hopefully that sorts it for him.
joaoluciofreitas 2:55 PM - 4 January, 2018
Hi! How would the mapping procedure of the djm-850 mixer via mid in the serato dvs to control mixing of audio and video using the crosfader?
DJ Tecniq 8:37 AM - 5 January, 2018
Quote:
Hi! How would the mapping procedure of the djm-850 mixer via mid in the serato dvs to control mixing of audio and video using the crosfader?
When Serato Video is in use you open up the midi tab in Serato also make sure the mixers midi button is on. You will see the crossfader and up faders in the midi panel of Serato Video. From there just move any of the faders or click the fader in the software first to map then move the fader to map it.
DJ Tecniq 8:41 AM - 5 January, 2018
Follow this tutorial it’s a diff mixer he’s using but you map it the same way. Just make sure the midi button is ON for the mixer and it should work youtu.be
Mr Wilks 6:32 AM - 11 January, 2018
I never had to months 850 at work. It was automatic when I plugged into the USB. I've mapped a few other Pio mixers before but never an 850 so wonder if they use a similar protocol and it just picked that up?
Jonia 11:35 AM - 14 January, 2018
hi there!
Hi! I bought already the second serato dvs expassão package !! but I updated all the disks and firmware of the mixer! talked to the forum with the guys and from:
wedding-retouching.com
Mr Wilks 2:06 PM - 14 January, 2018
Quote:
I never had to map my 850 at work. It was automatic when I plugged into the USB. I've mapped a few other Pio mixers before but never an 850 so wonder if they use a similar protocol and it just picked that up?