Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

SDJ 1.9.2: DICERS & PIONEER DJM-S9

Shan-One 4:14 AM - 9 August, 2016
This actually applies to all versions of SDJ I've used with my S9. I'm not able to trigger the midi mapped controls from my Dicers. I use the same version of software with my SL4 and 62 and it triggers so I'm not sure what to do with S9.

Thanks,

Shan-One
DJ Tecniq 7:42 AM - 9 August, 2016
Why do you need the dicers? The s9 can do everything the dicers can? I have dicers but only need them for my sl3 and old DJM 700. Plus it frees up the USB when I run the s9.
Marv Incredible 11:35 AM - 9 August, 2016
That's hardly the point Tecniq
DJ Tecniq 11:51 AM - 9 August, 2016
Quote:
That's hardly the point Tecniq
I understand that. Never seen a DJ use the S9 with dicers though. The whole mixer is like a built in dicer. It's quite pointless. Unless it's more user friendly I could see it being a benefit. Maybe try removing it as a midi device in your utilities then reconnect?
Marv Incredible 1:09 PM - 9 August, 2016
It's not pointless at all. What you mean is YOU can't see a point to it, but that's no reason to dismiss the idea. I can see you weren't saying it just to troll the guy, but this is partly why or how you come across like a jerk sometimes, even when you're not meaning to.

The only thing I can think of that would make the Dicers virtually redundant (and practically pointless in your eyes) is if they lose their independance when hooked up with an S9. I don't own an S9 so maybe one of you can confirm? If so, then most of what I'm about to say won't apply, but I can certainly use the Dicers with my SP1 and have them in different modes and still have many good reasons to do so, even though the SP1 does just about everything the Dicers do.

For a start, I suspect that most of the DJs who continue to use Dicers alongside other hardware with the same capacity bought them before purchasing their newer hardware. So if you have them, why wouldn't you use them -- even if some of the functions are duplicated? You make a point about saving a USB slot; there is that, but then there are also USB hubs.

Secondly, using the Dicers gives you the flexibility of having one page open on say your S9 (Cue Points) while you have another page open on your Dicers (Autoloops), saving you from having to switch pages so often and allowing you to do two things at once that you just couldn't do on a single piece of hardware (like I say, I can do this with my SP1).

It also means you can have independant pages for different decks, which certain hardware (like the S9) doesn't allow you to do (I'm told that with the S9, if you switch to say, Cue mode on the left deck, the right deck switches to Cue too, which sucks).

Third, you have the convenience of placement. Most people who bought/buy Dicers are turntablists and there's still no other add-on controller that gives you that much control right where your hands would naturally be. Admittedly, having big pads directly on the mixer like the S9 is equally as handy, but in this case it merely means even more deck-area control.

Plus, there are the two user-mappable banks in the Dicers (four in total) that you can use to program things that aren't natively programmed in your other hardware. This gives you up to 20 additional buttons or controls that you can map (I know the S9 has user modes but again, provided they can be used independently, the more the merrier).

Also, by careful use of the Tilde (~) key, you can switch the focus of the Dicers from decks 1 & 3 to decks 2 & 4, whilst still leaving the other hardware in the other deck group (you can do this with the SP1; not so sure about the S9). I say 'careful' 'cause if you use it, you really need to keep an eye on the deck group focus on-screen or you will inevitably get a nasty and unwanted surprise at some point).

One thing that has occured to me as a reason to drop them is so that it would be one less controller to have to rig up when I'm playing out. Another reason is I'm finding I'm using so many controllers now (Dicers, SP1, APC40 + Rane 68), I'm starting to worry I'll become too dependant and not able to perform the same act without them. I've been thinking about dropping the Dicers at least, but for all the reasons I've stated above, they're still so damned handy.

Anyway, this is why I still use my Dicers even though the SP1 covers most if not all of their functions. My guess is that the OP shares similar reasons for continuing to use his.

As for the original topic and question at hand, I have no idea why the Dicers don't appear to be working properly with the S9. It sounds like a bug or another frustratingly limiting design feature of the S9. I'm keen to learn more about this and I hope it gets sorted. Have you opened a support ticket?
DJ Marv the Maverick 4:10 PM - 9 August, 2016
@Marv Incredible,
You covered everything

Yeah I have the S9 and sucks that you can't independent pages like the SP6 or DDJSX for each deck with the performance pads.
Could be the reason OP wants to keep his dicers.

Has he tried a different midi channel for his dicers?
Shan-One 5:35 PM - 20 February, 2017
Hey guys, still old school. Using DiceLock to lock the programmable pages. I can trigger the SDJ effects from the dicers. When the dicers are plugged in I have no control of the SDJ effects.
Dj Maze1er 11:54 PM - 20 February, 2017
Ok so when buying serato don't its pure garbsge how can a program have knocks freezes and dropouts but yest other music playing soft ware don't serato stop the crap and fix your software isuues stop giving updates thst go to the toilet
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 12:57 AM - 21 February, 2017
@Dj Maze1er,

I'm really unsure what you're trying to achieve here. Kane has been helping you, he's told you what to do and still you don't want to do it. If you won't help yourself, you'll always have the same problems. If you think that all these posts are going to get you something, then I hate to break it to you but they won't. Until you take our recommendations you will be stuck with the issues you have. This is your own fault.

Please stop posting in other peoples threads, they are trying to have discussions and you are wasting their time.
Dj Maze1er 1:31 AM - 21 February, 2017
This is only the beginning. I am going to start posting videos as soon as I free time and thes other usss brought this on to themselves I am going to midevil on sersto forums and you can thank dj spanky for this. So fix this crap program all j eill fix things for you
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:35 AM - 21 February, 2017
You literally read nothing I posted. I struggle to understand how as an adult you are behaving like this! it's a bit embarrassing for you.

Make as many videos as you like. When you're ready to work with Kane again on resolving this issue we'll be here to help.
Dj Maze1er 1:40 AM - 21 February, 2017
I make sure I post thousands of videos and I will write brought to you by Micheal R and the shitty serato team and spell real big attention all dj don't get this save your reputation you've been warn... and screw jazzy jeff for bringing tjis crap program to use that why will smotj is a big start and jazzy jeff is like obama asking for change
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:44 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
I will write brought to you by Micheal R

I would be flattered :)

Well, talking to you is resolving nothing. You know what you need to do, Kane has told you, people on the forum have told you, and yet you don't listen. If you want to rip all your music off YouTube, help yourself. This might be a bit of a life lesson for you mate: take responsibility for your own actions for once instead of blaming others.

One last tip for you: it might be quicker to source legitimate files than it is to make "thousands of videos" ;)
Dj Maze1er 1:44 AM - 21 February, 2017
20 February, 2017
I make sure I post thousands of videos and I will write brought to you by Micheal R and the shitty serato team and spell real big attention all dj don't get this save your reputation you've been warned... and screw jazzy jeff for bringing this crap program to use that why will Smith is a big Starr aned jazzy jeff is like obama asking for change
Dj Maze1er 1:48 AM - 21 February, 2017
I don't download from you tube first off and I hace original cd albums I bought I download music from yiu tube if I can find them anywhere and they play well on virtual dj with no problems on itunes and media player again with no problem. Your program ducks and I am going to push and push till I get more and mkre dj not to support serato until you grab the bull by its horns and really fix this crap shoot program
Dj Maze1er 1:51 AM - 21 February, 2017
I only have 9 songs one is the pony tail sing a shoorite song and baby shark since I can't seem to get songs lkke these those are the only one I down load other than thst I buy my music on cd albums and create file and upload on this shitty serato program
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 1:51 AM - 21 February, 2017
You know what you need to do.

As you're only using your account to troll these forums, I'm banning you. If you'd like more help, please reply to Kane in the email discussions you've been having.

Bye!
Marv Incredible 1:55 AM - 21 February, 2017
Quote:
Hey guys, still old school. Using DiceLock to lock the programmable pages. I can trigger the SDJ effects from the dicers. When the dicers are plugged in I have no control of the SDJ effects.

@Shan-One: Do you mean that when using anything but the S9, you can trigger FX from your Dicers, but if you're using an S9 you can't? Still?

I'd still like to know if this is a bug or a design limitation of the S9? If it's a bug, it may not even be logged or it may have already been addressed in the latest beta. I just tried to look now but we're on version 3 already and the notes for the previous builds are no longer listed so I can't double-check.
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:15 AM - 21 February, 2017
I am back with serato drop out news .... djs sersto will ruin your reputation with their dropiuts don't support serato needs to get their shit together before releasing their software or get out the business djs you've been warned
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:17 AM - 21 February, 2017
Even the suoer dj had issues with sersto when he first introduced it to me that was a clear red flag to stay away from serato products
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:18 AM - 21 February, 2017
And yet you are still spending your day on our forum Mazeoner disc jockey?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:19 AM - 21 February, 2017
You can keep making accounts and we can keep banning them for littering the forum area with unhelpful comments but surely there are better things for you to do?

As we have said many times the support team are always there to help you with your Serato issues otherwise we will have to keep banning you for abusing the Serato Forums.

Have a lovely day.

J
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:19 AM - 21 February, 2017
I am eating and drinking a beer but I will set videos in alittle while once I done eating
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:20 AM - 21 February, 2017
We can't wait
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:22 AM - 21 February, 2017
Me either its going to be an epic saga for serato dj
Serato, Forum Moderator
Jason.S 2:31 AM - 21 February, 2017
Ok
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:33 AM - 21 February, 2017
Instead of wasting your time and responding to me why don't you go do your job and fix this crap program we hard working dj invested our hard working on
Mazeoner disc jockey 2:33 AM - 21 February, 2017
And I meant hard working money on
Tommy Deem 1:22 PM - 21 February, 2017
This guy is something else xD Failure in life, failure in forum and failure in dj life xD
Shan-One 5:14 AM - 12 March, 2017
Dicers still don't allow me to trigger the Serato DJ FX, when they plug in it says USB ENABLED and I cannot setup the effects.
Marv Incredible 7:52 PM - 12 March, 2017
You need to use pages 4 + 5. Access these by holding down the Loop Roll or Loop buttons respectively.

In other words, when you press either the cue, roll or loop buttons, the dicers switch to pages 1, 2 or 3. When you hold down roll or loop, they switch to pages 4 + 5.

But they're 'momentary' and will only hold for as long as you hold the button. To make them 'stay' you need something like Dicetools.
serato.com