Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Mix Emergency 3.1 + NewTek NDI

Culprit 10:51 PM - 3 August, 2016
I think this is more game changing than what they are even advertising. I know with Mix Emergency with NDI were only initially dealing with Video here, but it also has the capability of sending audio output as well.

pages.newtek.com

Maybe there is a small application out there, or someone is possibly developing so we can tap into that video/audio stream and display it on multiple sources on a small local network via a mini computer, it would eliminate our cable problems in a live environment.

NewTek has the "NDI Video Monitor", going to install this on some machines and see if I can tap into Mix Emergencies source and display it on a wireless monitor.

Been waiting for something like this for quite a while now. If Mix Emergency could also send the audio (maybe with the rca to 1/4" adapter needed when we record a video mix) we could apply that concept for audio monitors.

All helpful for mobile event guys.
popnwave 3:34 PM - 4 August, 2016
After watching the DJCity video on it I am pretty impressed. Not sure what specs you need to get decent performance outputting video via your gfx -and- NDI but I'd love to see a CPU usage graph and if it just scales it down before making your MacBook crap the bed.
Culprit 4:43 PM - 4 August, 2016
I was able to successfully show the stream live on any computer using NDI Video Monitor, and the latency was amazing. Only problem is the high bandwidth. You can set the setting to 640x360 and 24fps and the output is useable to mobile events. I want to stress test this on a private network no internet next and see how many monitors I can output to. It's not really for video distribution purposes since it was made for live production.

The idea for me is to go wireless. It's amazing that this got implemented directly into Mix Emergency.
PopRoXxX 7:02 PM - 4 August, 2016
Tracking now Culprit. Let me know how this goes
i am Dj fLiP 9:24 PM - 4 August, 2016
Interesting. Though it's only for Windows at the moment?
From what I read it said min spec was Windows Vista o_O

And this would mean, each devices will need a computer or something.
Culprit 9:54 PM - 4 August, 2016
where does it say that?

NDI Video Monitor is for osx, linux, and mac

pages.newtek.com
Culprit 9:55 PM - 4 August, 2016
Ok, i see where you got that, it also says below that "Mac OS X versions of select tools also available. Minimum system requirements and features may vary. Subject to change without notice"
Culprit 9:55 PM - 4 August, 2016
I downloaded all packages after signing up and NDI Video Monitor is available for OSX and Windows.
i am Dj fLiP 10:25 PM - 4 August, 2016
ahh nice, good to know.

i was gonna link you, but you found it lol.

let us know how it's working out for ya!
i am Dj fLiP 6:26 PM - 5 August, 2016
mojaxx did a quick review regarding this..

news.djcity.com

oh man the potentials you can do with this beast!
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:33 AM - 3 September, 2016
Did someone say wireless? Shed more light on this please.

Just invested in some Baluns will be nice to be able to go wirelessly.
Culprit 5:18 PM - 3 September, 2016
Quote:

It actually works really amazing over a private wireless network, non internet. You can do about 4 output's with minimal lag. You would still need a mini pc to tap into it.

I have been looking into these when the time is right.

www.walmart.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 12:09 PM - 4 September, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

It actually works really amazing over a private wireless network, non internet. You can do about 4 output's with minimal lag. You would still need a mini pc to tap into it.

I have been looking into these when the time is right.

www.walmart.com

Any step by step guide on how to do this?

Gear required etc.

I don't mind buying the mini pc to try this out.
Culprit 10:43 PM - 4 September, 2016
Sure you can try it now if you have 2 computers. I used a Mac for mix emergency and windows 10 pc for NDI Video output. Just run mix emergency, enable NDI output, and run NDI Video Monitor on the second pc and tap in.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:29 PM - 5 September, 2016
Quote:
Sure you can try it now if you have 2 computers. I used a Mac for mix emergency and windows 10 pc for NDI Video output. Just run mix emergency, enable NDI output, and run NDI Video Monitor on the second pc and tap in.

Over wireless?
Culprit 7:30 PM - 5 September, 2016
Try it
nik39 8:17 AM - 6 September, 2016
Cuplrit, which NDI receiver did you use? I have tried NDI Connect

pages.newtek.com

But I was in a rush at the club, and I couldn't get into a simple "full screen" mode, getting rid of borders and the "mixing" console.

Spout from

spout.zeal.co

didn't work for me. There was an error message ("... cannot create directx/opengl interop ...").
nik39 8:17 AM - 6 September, 2016
(That was all on W10, 64bit)
Culprit 7:40 PM - 6 September, 2016
Hey Nik,

I used NDI Video Monitor, which should come with the package.

pages.newtek.com
Culprit 7:51 PM - 6 September, 2016
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:23 AM - 7 September, 2016
Working over here, PC running VDJ's master output over to my Mac. Kinda slow and got a freeze every now and again but it does work.

I was able to go both directions (PC to Mac and Mac to PC) with a few clicks. Had it all setup in minutes.

This has a lot of potential but Ill definitely need a faster router and be hard wired I think.

Eitherway this was just a quick test.

Watchwww.youtube.com
Culprit 1:49 AM - 7 September, 2016
does Virtual DJ have NDI Built in like Mix Emergency?
Culprit 1:51 AM - 7 September, 2016
I see this NDI technology as the future for wireless video streaming and production period.

Going to ask Nick if we can also send an audio signal as well, even if we need the RCA -> 1/4" Connection, wireless audio and video sync'd over a private dedicated wifi network would cut down so much on labor at a gig.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 2:03 AM - 7 September, 2016
Quote:
does Virtual DJ have NDI Built in like Mix Emergency?

No but I can have VDJ's master output be chosen as an NDI output and then grab that in M.E..

Im gonna ask for this to be a feature built into VDJ just like M.E. ;-p

And yeah I couldn't figure out the audio part yet. I could pick whats what on the PC side but didn't see any audio options on the Mac side unless I over looked something??

This is really awesome and yes I can see the potential. If this were built into programs like Resolume or Arkaos so many doors could opened for PC guys.

Ive used Spout but its never been reliable for me.
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:36 AM - 7 September, 2016
From a practical point of using it to send video to a screen that's not in the same room, how is this different from using the HDMI LAN Baluns if using wired connection is the stable way vs wireless.

Done a bit of reading up on the wireless bit, think the sub optimal performance is bandwith related. Even if one invests in a gigabyte router there might be the WiFi card bottle neck on the sending and receiving PC. I'm no techie so I might be wrong.

Seems like a more expensive way to achieve video streaming to a screen as one needs an extra computer.

not talking about using it for b2b video djing though.
Culprit 7:14 PM - 7 September, 2016
Expensive as in the purchase of a computer for each source? You can wire a intel stick to a 4 or 8 way splitter in another room. The possibilities are pretty endless. I think you would save ton's in labor and time. At a gig, like Nik was, if you got a dj booth far away from a source, he could tap into that source with a pc stick and display his video feed with almost zero lag since its a single receiver on a private network.

www.amazon.com

It has ubuntu on the stick, you can use the linux version of NDI Video Monitor which is available.

www.ubuntu.com

www.amazon.com

Or any old wireless router in the house.

Or you can stick to the wired solution as well, not knocking that at all.
the smooth operator 8:08 AM - 19 September, 2016
Is there a full screen option with NDI video monitor? I am having a problem with video feedback. I am running mixemergency connected through NDI to second macbook running resolume then running in back into my main macbook. Video output in Mixemergency has video feedback. This might sound ridiculous but the effects in resolume when running midi beat clock and direct audio from my mixer makes for some dynamic effects.
Culprit 2:36 PM - 19 September, 2016
You just double click the window for full screen mode or right click anywhere inside the window
the smooth operator 9:31 PM - 19 September, 2016
Quote:
You just double click the window for full screen mode or right click anywhere inside the window

This isn't working for me. Are we talking about the Sienna NDI monitor?
Culprit 10:17 PM - 19 September, 2016
The only software I ever mentioned in here was Newtek NDI Video monitor included in this pack

pages.newtek.com
Culprit 10:21 PM - 19 September, 2016
Culprit 10:23 PM - 19 September, 2016
Culprit 10:28 PM - 19 September, 2016
I just realized after redownloading the applications that the mac versions are in fact the sienna NDI tools kit.

You might be right in that it might not support full screen. Can you try double clicking in the middle of the window?
the smooth operator 10:46 PM - 19 September, 2016
Man I'm playing with it right now. It leaves a tacky border on top and bottom. Do you know any other Mac app that can simply display the symphony full screen? I was doing it through resolume but even with a totally blank composition I can see a strain on my hardware. I got the second macbook right after I found out about NDI to process the more advanced video dj software. I really can't find any documentation on Sienna's version either. Thanks for your help!
Culprit 11:09 PM - 19 September, 2016
That's weird man. Yeah you might have to just drag out an old pc laptop or try a desktop pc for now.

I will have to test when I get back to the pad on my osx.
the SOUNDINSURGENT 12:33 AM - 20 September, 2016
In my test I've found that the windows side can only be made an actual full screen.

As you've found the Mac side has that white border. I haven't found anyway to get rid of it either.
Culprit 8:44 PM - 29 September, 2016
philou800 1:37 AM - 6 October, 2016
Philou800 9:36 PM - 5 October, 2016
Hi, i want to know where can i get some sample for mixemergency like for example nate dogg face associate with audio hold up. Or a siren image associate with the audio..while i am vdjing i want to add video sample with audio. Where can i find some plz ?? ☺
GRiNDBoX 6:11 AM - 22 October, 2016
culprit i need your help regarding this since you tried mE to pc...been looking for a solution on how to show my mE out to the LED wall since it uses a chinese software..
Culprit 4:19 PM - 22 October, 2016
Hey Grind,

I never got Mix Emergency to work on Windows. I did, however, hack my Alienware to run OSX 10.6.8 which ran SSL and Mix Emergency almost as efficient as having an authentic MacBook Pro it's self.

It's not really a good solution, and def not recommended for users who don't have some form of advanced knowledge of working on computers, dos, firmware and driver hacking.
nik39 7:22 PM - 22 October, 2016
First of all, thanks to all who have provided tips and tricks so far!

Wow, we were able to use a RaspberryPi to receive ME's output, with just a few frames delay and really good quality. I am amazed. Will post a tutorial.
Culprit 7:22 PM - 22 October, 2016
I apologize I got that conversation mixed up for some reason.

Just boot up Mix Emergency, enable NDI output over your wifi or wired network And any computer with NDI Monitor should be able to see the stream, with no lag.
Culprit 7:23 PM - 22 October, 2016
Quote:

Wow, we were able to use a RaspberryPi to receive ME's output, with just a few frames delay and really good quality. I am amazed. Will post a tutorial.

Great news man! Can you post the hardware? I was thinking of going the pc stick route
nik39 8:28 PM - 22 October, 2016
RaspberryPi B+

www.adafruit.com
nik39 8:29 PM - 22 October, 2016
The PC Stick Route looks interesting too, but the RaspberryPi is considerably cheaper (at least hefe in Europe). Plus, I wouldn't trust Wifi. The RaspberryPi has an Ethernet port.
Culprit 9:42 PM - 22 October, 2016
Understood. I got an 1x8 splitter from monoprice that uses cat5 extensions that work really well.

The new technology coming out gifts us with the wireless AC technology, so wifi is getting there. Will never beat a solid connection though
nik39 7:33 AM - 23 October, 2016
Got a link for that cat5 splitter?
Marine 4:47 PM - 23 October, 2016
What about audio when using ndi
popnwave 10:06 PM - 23 October, 2016
Quote:

I think the audio should be pushed out via the club system not via any displays using the NDI protocol.
Culprit 3:32 AM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I think the audio should be pushed out via the club system not via any displays using the NDI protocol.

Agreed, still need to experiment
Culprit 3:34 AM - 24 October, 2016
Quote:
Got a link for that cat5 splitter?

www.monoprice.com
nik39 1:51 PM - 24 October, 2016
Thx :)
nik39 1:52 PM - 24 October, 2016
Does it transfer the signal using the network layer, or is just 'abusing' the cat5 coppers?
Culprit 7:23 PM - 24 October, 2016
Cat5 adapters for sure, no network involvement. Hdmi input to cat5 output
Culprit 7:12 PM - 25 October, 2016
www.driveplayer.com

Hey Guys, here is a quick, dirty, unscripted video I made to help out Clint and anyone else who is inquiring about NDI Video Monitor with Mix Emergency NDI Output
Culprit 10:12 PM - 25 October, 2016
GRiNDBoX 7:33 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
www.driveplayer.com

Hey Guys, here is a quick, dirty, unscripted video I made to help out Clint and anyone else who is inquiring about NDI Video Monitor with Mix Emergency NDI Output

thanks bro for this one!
GRiNDBoX 7:41 PM - 26 October, 2016
So what i did to mine is, im using the ethernet LAN of my mac (NDI input thru MixEmergency) going to my LAN card in which my desktop is also connected..on my desktop (windows 7) i installed the NDI tools in which the NDI Monitor is included..viola...it works..my only problem is the borders of the monitor screen since MY LED output is been configured to 640x628 on a chinese software so i need to re allign the best output on the led screen..

Once again than you CULPRIT...:)
popnwave 7:53 PM - 26 October, 2016
Quote:
So what i did to mine is, im using the ethernet LAN of my mac (NDI input thru MixEmergency) going to my LAN card in which my desktop is also connected..on my desktop (windows 7) i installed the NDI tools in which the NDI Monitor is included..viola...it works..my only problem is the borders of the monitor screen since MY LED output is been configured to 640x628 on a chinese software so i need to re allign the best output on the led screen..

Once again than you CULPRIT...:)

Yooooou need to post a clip of that LED in action!
GRiNDBoX 7:54 PM - 26 October, 2016
here is its...:) sorry for the crapot video i was playin at the same time talkin to CULPRIT hahahahha

www.dropbox.com
GRiNDBoX 7:55 PM - 26 October, 2016
demn auto correct..lol
Oscar Troya 12:25 AM - 22 August, 2017
Quote:

Hi nik39, is it possible to see that tutorial you mentioned earlier?. I'm very interested in using a raspberry pi as an NDI receiver.

Thanks!
GRiNDBoX 11:58 AM - 7 October, 2017
hmmm