DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

Downloading music

GRVMPS 3:52 PM - 1 August, 2016
Noob question. Best place or places to download music with good sound quality? As i am new to this i dont make money on gigs yet to put back into buying music/equipment. Youtube converters are shit. Soundcloud has free downloads sometimes. Any other cheap/free good quality music download ideas would be greatly appreciated.
DJ Ravien 6:30 PM - 1 August, 2016
Dj-M.Bezzle 8:04 PM - 1 August, 2016
Quote:
Noob question. Best place or places to download music with good sound quality?

The internet
DJ Ravien 8:57 PM - 1 August, 2016
DJ Remix Detroit 9:04 AM - 2 August, 2016
Quote:
Noob question. Best place or places to download music with good sound quality? As i am new to this i dont make money on gigs yet to put back into buying music/equipment. Youtube converters are shit. Soundcloud has free downloads sometimes. Any other cheap/free good quality music download ideas would be greatly appreciated.

just search the term "record pools" in the Serato Forum search and you will find all you need to know.
DJ Reflex 1:34 AM - 3 August, 2016
You don't "make money to on gigs to put back into buying music/equipment"...

You invest in the music first, THEN you go out on gigs. It's called business investment.

Man, everyone's got this backwards these days. "I want all the profits and none of the risk."
DJ Reflex 1:35 AM - 3 August, 2016
BTW, try whitelabel.net
Antonio Essex 4:10 PM - 3 August, 2016
Preach Reflex! Record pools, and hit up swap meets for the cheap CD booths. Scored a lot of older hip hop/ funk compilations like that
DTweed 9:02 PM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:
You don't "make money to on gigs to put back into buying music/equipment"...

You invest in the music first, THEN you go out on gigs. It's called business investment.

Man, everyone's got this backwards these days. "I want all the profits and none of the risk."

+1 people definitely has their priorities messed up. If you can't afford music then you def can't afford to DJ. As said it's an investment I would even consider using YouTube. When I was a teen I had 20 records but I'd practice my ass off with them 20 records
Antonio Essex 11:26 PM - 3 August, 2016
Dude all I had to start with were my mom and dad record collections. all 70's disco and R&B. Casablanca records mostly. Rode our bikes to Pomona and hit up Galaxy records by the fox theater every sat with $20 I'd save from the week by not buying lunch and eating at my friends house instead to save it for new house records.
DJ Reflex 3:55 AM - 4 August, 2016
Not trying to dash a guy's dreams... Just saying' that you need to put the legwork in before you can expect greatness. I opened a side business a few years ago that went sour. Lost money, but learned a hard lesson.
"It takes money to make money" is cliche, but pretty close to reality. Not so much the money, but the blood, sweat, and tears. Instant gratification often comes with instant failure.

GRVMPS, search out some DJ pools depending on what type of music interests you. I ran into a noob DJ a few weeks ago that had but 200 songs in his library. He rocked the party out!!! Played those 200 songs like a pro and knew them inside and out. Good luck.
GRVMPS 4:57 PM - 6 August, 2016
So wasnt asking for handouts or JUST free music. Just looking for some friendly suggestions. I have a lot of money put into music already. . So much negativity. Thanks anyways.
JayB1200 5:26 PM - 6 August, 2016
Digiwaxx.com
Mr. Goodkat 7:03 PM - 6 August, 2016
Quote:
So wasnt asking for handouts or JUST free music. Just looking for some friendly suggestions. I have a lot of money put into music already. . So much negativity. Thanks anyways.

google, its free. ive found next to free music in every category from pop to leftfield noise.

I can pay 10$ for an uploaded accnt and get literally 5k$ plus per month if i actually bought it.

commercial rap is just free all over the place

but finding it yourself is the best way because its suits your taste
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:12 PM - 7 August, 2016
Quote:
So wasnt asking for handouts or JUST free music. Just looking for some friendly suggestions.

And we weren't being smart asses....we were just telling you to quit being a bum and pay for your music. Just OUR friendly suggestion