Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Does Anyone Pay Pulselocker?

spencerthayer 11:38 PM - 19 July, 2016
I finally decided to try the 14 day trial and I have got to say the service is terrible. Browsing the collection feels as painfully bad as Google Music. The fact that they deliberately turn off the ability to use the services on a mobile phone makes it even worse.

Is there anyone using Pulselocker as a service? I'm curious what you workflow looks like. To me it's just unusable at this point.

Thanks
spencerthayer 11:40 PM - 19 July, 2016
The whole organization based on the week the music was released is insane.

It really sucks.
DJ Ravien 11:53 PM - 19 July, 2016
I agree, I didn't like the lack of any real way to browse the files. Unless you know specifically what you are looking for it was rendered useless imo. While most the songs I did look up I was able to find there was still some missing from the library. While I see it's potential I feel it is still too early in development for them to have released it. Sucks cause I already went through my 14 day trial which means I am more then likely not to purchase it in the future even if they do sort it out.

I see it being great for dj's who take a lot of request. I also don't like that rec option was unavailable, while I understand the reasoning behind such an action it truly doesn't stop anyone from recording except within serato itself. So much like the this week music browsing it is rendered useless.
ceedogg13 2:10 AM - 20 July, 2016
never again !
maarawoe 1:15 PM - 20 July, 2016
It was a huge disappointment for me...
Still find it easier for me to simply buy the tracks....
DJ Tecniq 3:30 PM - 20 July, 2016
Used it with my trial and then totally forgot about it...doesn't have more than an MP3 pool can offer.
deejdave 9:24 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Used it with my trial and then totally forgot about it...doesn't have more than an MP3 pool can offer.

While it needs work and I fear for its future let's be honest here. It absolutely provides WAY more than any record pool and possibly all of them combined. It is hard to navigate, not browsing friendly, and they need to get rid of cover artists etc but other than that the quality is amazing, the ability to download to your Hdd is awesome and IF you know what you are looking for it is the best solution (I know of) for filling requests as well as keeping your Hdd free from clutter of songs you will never use again.

Trust imo this does NOT replace the use/need for record pools but compliments it. With how much I have spent in music being considered my monthly subs (djcity, promo only, PL, etc) are all well worth it id say.
spencerthayer 9:26 PM - 5 August, 2016
Quote:
...the best solution (I know of) for filling requests as well as keeping your Hdd free from clutter of songs you will never use again.

Really? But you have to shut Serato down to initiate the download of new songs. Or am I wrong and you can chose a new track and download while DJing?
DJ Ravien 11:29 PM - 5 August, 2016
Quote:

Really? But you have to shut Serato down to initiate the download of new songs. Or am I wrong and you can chose a new track and download while DJing?

If memory serves you can use the search feature within serato to search on pulselocker and then download through the software. Haven't used it in awhile so I could be wrong.
deejdave 3:57 PM - 6 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
...the best solution (I know of) for filling requests as well as keeping your Hdd free from clutter of songs you will never use again.

No but what I was speaking of doesn't involve downloading anyways. The $10 tier works perfect for this. What you are speaking of is for downloading to the cache which can be done on the fly.
DJ Barticus 3:55 AM - 8 August, 2016
It works best as an emergency backup. say you discover you have the wrong version of a song at a wedding, or there is a song you have on vinyl but never got around to getting a digital version for serato. to me it's worth it if it just saves me at 1 gig a year.

the search and labeling needs work. it's almost impossible to tell if a song is clean or dirty without previewing.
deejdave 12:17 AM - 9 August, 2016
Quote:
to me it's worth it if it just saves me at 1 gig a year

Exactly. Let's be honest the price is very cheap relatively speaking.
Cwite 12:17 PM - 9 August, 2016
Just thought I'd add my feedback.

I did a long trial period with pulselocker before its official Serato release. At first it was very messy. But putting the same trial searches in over a period of the first 3 months brought back better results each time. Gradually the cover artists are disappearing.

I did find I used it at gigs. Usually for an odd request at the beginning of of a session. Or for a track uniquely liked by a crowd at a venue I hadn't played at before.
My main gripe is that bpm and key info isn't visible yet until the track is previewed. But this will come in time.

As a result I have subscribed to the service, and it continues to improve.

My preperation work flow now includes pulling some tracks from pulselocker i wouldnt have rushed out to buy, but still liked, and playing them for a few weeks so I can gauge a crowd reaction. If I like it, I download a permanent copy and ditch the pulselocker one. If I dont like it, no harm, it goes away without wasting my money.

I think you have got to be gigging a lot to get your money's worth out of it, but I personaly feel like I'm starting to.

If I were a DJ just starting out, I would grab this service with both hands. When I think (and shudder) at the money I've laid out on music, it's a great way of hitting the ground running.

Possibly it was a little prematurely released, but I think it will developed in to a great work tool over time. I'm in.
deejdave 1:05 PM - 9 August, 2016
This thing is $10 a month (to stream) in all fairness making it one of the smallest monthly music bills I have and having the opportunity to do ANY real time playlist management for serato is a godsend imo.
deejdave 1:08 PM - 9 August, 2016
Quote:
This thing is $10 a month (to stream) in all fairness making it one of the smallest monthly music bills I have and having the opportunity to do ANY real time playlist management for serato is a godsend imo.

On the go management via mobile device that is. I literally managed a hefty portion of a gigs playlist this past weekend without even being there. I had a bachelor party so a friend did me a favor and I was able to get a large playlist together for him to take some of the load off. Again priceless.
LJ_WOOLSEY 1:34 PM - 9 August, 2016
I don't know of or heard of a single DJ in the UK paying for and using Pulselocker. (Thats going from people i know to people's responses in forumes and facebook groups ect. I'm sure there will be loads using just not very wide spread)
XCAKID 7:26 PM - 9 August, 2016
Quote:
I finally decided to try the 14 day trial and I have got to say the service is terrible. Browsing the collection feels as painfully bad as Google Music. The fact that they deliberately turn off the ability to use the services on a mobile phone makes it even worse.

Is there anyone using Pulselocker as a service? I'm curious what you workflow looks like. To me it's just unusable at this point.

Thanks

I have 9.99 a month subscription.

It really helps augment your library. When I play at small bars and do a full open format set, I will sometimes get requests for tracks I don't have and don't care to add to my library. 9 time out of ten, Pulselocker will have it. Its such a small cost in the scheme of things.

I have unlimited data on my cell phone and I just tether my laptop to it. I find that there are venues where their wifi is so congested that its unusable for a streaming service like Pulselocker. There are also some mobile gigs that I do where there is no wifi. Having my own wifi connection makes it easier. At the longest, it may take 30second to load a track. Search is pretty fast though.
spencerthayer 3:33 PM - 10 August, 2016
The $10 a month to stream doesn't work with Serato though. You have to download the track to use is so discussing this option isn't really relevant to us here on the Serato forum. :)
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:48 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
The $10 a month to stream doesn't work with Serato though. You have to download the track to use is so discussing this option isn't really relevant to us here on the Serato forum. :)

What are you on about? The hole point of Pulselocker is to stream not download. It just has that option if you want that.
LJ_WOOLSEY 3:50 PM - 10 August, 2016
deejdave 4:12 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:

Since 1.9.1........... gotta catch up.
Mr Wilks 4:24 PM - 10 August, 2016
I also think people are missing the point of it being the ONLY legal music streaming (or download) service available and it's built directly inside Serato. That's an amazing feat if ever I heard one.

Other similar services like Spotify/Deezer etc are not for public/commercial use due to licensing where as with Pulselocker the fees have been paid so you can be 100% legal when playing in venues.

Another plus point, although some won't find it that useful, is that once you've paid for it it also works in Rekordbox and a few other programs like Dex (and iOS apps) effectively 'sharing' your library. I think in time there's nothing stopping a few others taking on something like this. N.I's Traktor? Mix vibes?

It's getting a chore looking through the 'feature suggestions' part of this site and seeing a "When can we have Spotify integration" thread. It seems monthly another pops up.
Answer? When they offer a legal solution to DJs. Until then we have Pulselocker.

It works for some and not for others, so that's why theres a trial. If there's nothing on it you use then Serato DJ will still be Serato DJ. If you play a lot of underground you could be surprised at what's on there. I was. I play a lot of Nudisco and there was a huge selection on there. I thought it was worth getting just for my early sets but decided against it.

I'll subscribe when there's some sort of app that allows playback like Spotify so I can listen while I drive to work or walk into town and discover new stuff while adding it to a download queue and grabbing the tracks when I get to the venue or get home. This is for me what it's lacking.
deejdave 4:25 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I remembered you saying this as well and this is not accurate either. This may be worth a revisit and you may even end up liking it.
deejdave 4:28 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
I also think people are missing the point of it being the ONLY legal music streaming (or download) service available and it's built directly inside Serato. That's an amazing feat if ever I heard one.

Other similar services like Spotify/Deezer etc are not for public/commercial use due to licensing where as with Pulselocker the fees have been paid so you can be 100% legal when playing in venues.

Another plus point, although some won't find it that useful, is that once you've paid for it it also works in Rekordbox and a few other programs like Dex (and iOS apps) effectively 'sharing' your library. I think in time there's nothing stopping a few others taking on something like this. N.I's Traktor? Mix vibes?

It's getting a chore looking through the 'feature suggestions' part of this site and seeing a "When can we have Spotify integration" thread. It seems monthly another pops up.
Answer? When they offer a legal solution to DJs. Until then we have Pulselocker.

It works for some and not for others, so that's why theres a trial. If there's nothing on it you use then Serato DJ will still be Serato DJ. If you play a lot of underground you could be surprised at what's on there. I was. I play a lot of Nudisco and there was a huge selection on there. I thought it was worth getting just for my early sets but decided against it.

I'll subscribe when there's some sort of app that allows playback like Spotify so I can listen while I drive to work or walk into town and discover new stuff while adding it to a download queue and grabbing the tracks when I get to the venue or get home. This is for me what it's lacking.

Have you tried splyce? This is exactly what it does.
deejdave 4:29 PM - 10 August, 2016
You can find and listen via splyce and add it to a playlist and download entire playlist when you get home. Only catch is entire playlist MUST be pliƩ locker tracks in order for it to work.
Mr Wilks 4:37 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
Have you tried splyce? This is exactly what it does.

Yeah, I really like it. It feels to me a little like what Pyro should have been.
soul63 5:02 PM - 10 August, 2016
not for me..but can see if working for others..i concur with what woosley said i dont know any djs that use pulselocker ..i think the streaming thing on the whole is not that popular in the uk as in the states,i dont know many that use spotify etc.the price of pulselocker can be offset against your earnings i would imagine,for those not happy with the rates..if you dj every week you will claw that back..and if you do all genres and requests (which is a bit alien to me).then its got to be a no brainer..unless you like to own the music you play..but since djs play music on request they dont even like that situation dont apply..dont know about nu disco being underground..thought that was mainstream
Mr Wilks 5:32 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:
dont know about nu disco being underground..thought that was mainstream

Possibly in some areas but up East I rarely hear any Vanilla Ace, Kolombo, etc. Disciples have kinda made the commercial crossover and Oliver Nelson has done a few commercial remixes.

I'll also say I don't know any DJs on Pulselocker but I could also list around five DJs that are still on Scratch Live so it's swings and roundabouts really. Some DJs crave for the latest and greatest where some are happy to rock 10 year old tech as "it just works".
XCAKID 7:34 PM - 10 August, 2016
Quote:

Not sure what you're talking about. I've been using the $10 streaming only with SDJ for months now. Used it last Thurs. for an in store gig I did, worked flawlessly on the two tracks I needed.
spencerthayer 4:57 PM - 18 August, 2016
I apparently need to update Serato.
spencerthayer 4:58 PM - 18 August, 2016
Though that isn't really useful because I have not renewed my subscription to Pulselocker and likely never will.
deejdave 10:07 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:

us5.campaign-archive2.com
HAH!!!
Mr Wilks 10:11 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

us5.campaign-archive2.com
HAH!!!

Dammit!!! iOS :(

Looks like I'll be keeping away for a little longer then... Grrr...
deejdave 10:14 PM - 22 August, 2016
This is becoming blatantly repetitious LOL. How do you deal with the limitations? (just teasing ;)
Mr Wilks 10:15 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
This is becoming blatantly repetitious LOL. How do you deal with the limitations? (just teasing ;)

I use an iPad Mini ;)
deejdave 10:23 PM - 22 August, 2016
Confused................

Spylce a no go. This a no go too? These are both Mobile apps that provide/will provide playback similar to Spotify, no?

Is it just because it is iOS?
Mr Wilks 10:31 PM - 22 August, 2016
As an everyday phone I have the Galaxy S6 edge (thinking of the Note 7 now) and this is the device that travels around with me to the beach, in the car for audio and to gigs. the iPad is just for messing around (I haven't even bought Remote for it). There's no cellular data with it.

Let's hope they'll develop an Android app once they have nailed the iOS one. I've have no problem with any developer choosing iOS first and developing that to a high standard then concentrating on Android further down the line once the iOS app is functional but it's when developers 'pull a Serato' and say "NO" to Android for no particular reason other than "we have no plans", while developing another app for iOS. That's what gets by back up!!!

Splyce is good. I like it but I wouldn't carry the iPad out for a walk into town etc. It's not portable so it stays at home. If I'm at home I may as well just use the laptop to manage Puleslocker as it's where I do all my other music management from anyway.

I just hope they do it once they get the iOS app up and running.
deejdave 10:35 PM - 22 August, 2016
Ahhh makes total sense and agreed.
LJ_WOOLSEY 6:44 AM - 23 August, 2016
Wilks always goes against what he should.

Serato software uses windows over Mac
Video. Uses Serato Video over MixEmergency
Phone. Uses Android over ios

See the pattern haha he finally got a mac then all issues disappeared... Now carry one and watch the rest go...

I used tobe like that but in 2012 got a mac then got ME then got an ios phone and now no issues really just seems for djing it is the way todo.

Tools of the trade.
Mr Wilks 11:33 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Wilks always goes against what he should.

Serato software uses windows over Mac
Video. Uses Serato Video over MixEmergency
Phone. Uses Android over ios

See the pattern haha he finally got a mac then all issues disappeared... Now carry one and watch the rest go...

I used tobe like that but in 2012 got a mac then got ME then got an ios phone and now no issues really just seems for djing it is the way todo.

Tools of the trade.

Haha! I'll be honest and say I was having zero issues with Windows 10 but it's been crash central on Video since I went to Mac. I only went to it as the Windows machine needed a new battery and I'd damaged the power cable slightly. I didn't see the point in getting new one for a 5 year old machine. I promised for the last few years I'd go Mac when the PC died and this year it finally did. If the Windows machine didn't need the bits I'd still be on it as I've seen no performance benefits up to yet (then again I was on a good specced XPS).

Serato Video... I just mix a few visuals on the screen at work really so don't need ME as SV does all I need in that respect... it should deliver the basics without crashing!

And as for the S6? You'd have to pry if from my cold, dead hands first... Unless it's the Note 7 which I think may have to happen!!!
LJ_WOOLSEY 11:40 AM - 23 August, 2016
The joys of nothing being perfect hey!
XCAKID 4:28 PM - 23 August, 2016
Pulselocker Wishlist:

Add video
Leafie 8:17 PM - 23 August, 2016
I believe they still use legacy file formats.

Some might love it, but not for me.
deejdave 8:41 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
I believe they still use legacy file formats.

Some might love it, but not for me.

Please elaborate.
Leafie 8:44 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Please elaborate.

Lossy codecs, that are no longer necessary in the modern world.
deejdave 8:54 PM - 23 August, 2016
Do you have an issue with the sound quality or are you just assuming here? I am being serious I promise. I ask because I have yet to hear a single person complain on the audio quality. WAV or FLAC format by no means guarantees it sounds better than even a 192. The ONLY thing it guarantees is slower loading times, more storage space required (when caching a file/s) and more chances of things going wrong when it comes to streaming.
deejdave 8:54 PM - 23 August, 2016
FTR not saying I am against it just would have to see it play out first. I have no experience with this as Spotify, Pulselocker, Deezer etc. all use 320.
Leafie 9:20 PM - 23 August, 2016
I don't wish to argue because I don't know you/what you want and vice versa and I have respect for every DJ I come across, because as you know life is not as straight forward as it may seem.

My simple rule is if I am paid to provide music, then I should provide the music in the best quality I can. Lossless was a transition, but is no longer needed as storage space is now cheap.

One day soon, old methods will be HD and the latest and greatest again. 8@D

Leafie.
deejdave 9:39 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Do you have an issue with the sound quality or are you just assuming here?
Leafie 9:42 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Do you have an issue with the sound quality or are you just assuming here?

I'll leave it there.
spencerthayer 10:46 PM - 31 August, 2016
I'm going to have call bullshit. I am running 1.9.3 (1937566) now and Pulselocker in Serato still doesn't update when I add a new track while Serato is running. It only updates if I shut Pulselocker down and start it up again.
spencerthayer 10:54 PM - 31 August, 2016
UPDATE: The only way to update a Pulselocker library while Serato is running is to click SETUP > LIBRARY + DISPLAY > unclick SHOW PULSELOCKER LIBRARY and logout; then you can log back into your account and it will update.

Needless to say that process is a hack and not a professional solution. As of 1937566 one cannot use Pulselocker for taking spontaneous track requests.
deejdave 11:02 PM - 31 August, 2016
Are you talking about adding via web browser (PL) or Serato? If you are speaking of the web browser then yes this is how it is just as it is with Spotify & DJay Pro or DJ Player Pro and Deezer. That is not what you said though..............
Quote:

The second you click "Store Offline" the track downloads and in the bottom of the (Serato) screen it says download complete. No shutting down anything necessary and it is actually doe in less than two seconds with a decent bandwidth. I can provide a video if necessary but if you look at around :45 of this video it is literally that easy. youtu.be

Am I missing where you said update playlist from Browser? I am looking back and everything I am finding says the word download.
Mr Wilks 8:07 AM - 1 September, 2016
Quote:
UPDATE: The only way to update a Pulselocker library while Serato is running is to click SETUP > LIBRARY + DISPLAY > unclick SHOW PULSELOCKER LIBRARY and logout; then you can log back into your account and it will update.

Needless to say that process is a hack and not a professional solution. As of 1937566 one cannot use Pulselocker for taking spontaneous track requests.

I think you meant Pulselocker playlist? (not library?).

This is true regrading updating any playlist you've made on the Web. As said above, the only way to show any playlist you've made on the website is to uncheck the "Show Pulselocker" option and re-check it in the setup as it's only checks playlist information as SDJ startsup. If you've added from the website while SDJ is open you need to refresh SDJ so it can see it.

This is where Serato really do need to add a "refresh" symbol next to the Pulselocker crate and also one for iTunes. Serato only reads external information on startup so if anything is added afterwards it won't be seen until it's restarted (or disabled and re-enabled in setup).

It seems you're searching and adding tracks from the website for spontaneous requests. This is really for adding to a playlist if you was to prepare something for later, for example.

Make sure the little cloud is on next to the search bar and it will search Pulselocker inside the Serato library as if it was on your normal hard disk. The streaming tracks will show and you can load one of these to a deck. They have a blue cloud icon next to them.

Hope this helps.
deejdave 1:10 PM - 1 September, 2016
Fully agree on a refresh option built in for streamline workflow. I would prefer manual but I wouldn't hate automatic I suppose.
Mr Wilks 5:14 PM - 1 September, 2016
A little manual refresh option would be great. It's a shame there isn't one but maybe one day we'll see it randomly appear.

Fingers crossed anyway!