Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Serato DJ + Akai AMX + Portable Turntables

soulsides 10:11 PM - 18 July, 2016
I have a main setup for gigs with a Rane + 1200s but I've been trying to figure out if I can use an Akai AMX as part of a *portable turntable* rig.

Specifically, what I'm trying to figure out is if I can get Serato DJ/DVS to work with *Columbia GP-3* portable turntables.

I don't know if the cartridge on them are mono or stereo but I do know that the only line output is a mono mini-jack (for headphones). Normally, I use a simple mono-to-stereo adapter to split the signal for use in headphones but I'm assuming that what Serato DJ needs is a true stereo chain, from cartridge to output line? I could pay to have someone install RCA outs but if the cartridge signal isn't in stereo, I'm not sure that would make any difference at all.

(Plan B would be to use a pair of Numark PT-01 portables which should have a stereo cartridge and definitely comes with twin-RCA outputs and I would assume works fine with Serato DJ/DVS.)

Thanks!
DJ Remix Detroit 2:40 PM - 19 July, 2016
Watchwww.youtube.com

new vid from DJ City shows the use of portable TT's.

I'd go with the PT-01's just to be sure of having dual RCA's out.

Hooking up excess splitters and cables doesnt seem to be efficient.
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:48 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Specifically, what I'm trying to figure out is if I can get Serato DJ/DVS to work with *Columbia GP-3* portable turntables.

Have you tried the Portable Turntables and your Rane mixer? The Akai is just a bus powered USB mixer. If you get a clean signal and everything works with your Rane mixer - it should also work with the Akai AMX (except for any Sersto DJ glitches or DVS expansion pack problems)
soulsides 1:06 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Have you tried the Portable Turntables and your Rane mixer? The Akai is just a bus powered USB mixer. If you get a clean signal and everything works with your Rane mixer - it should also work with the Akai AMX (except for any Sersto DJ glitches or DVS expansion pack problems)

Thanks - great suggestion and I was able to test it out.

Verdict: The Vestax Handy Trax will work with Serato. You can use either the headphone or RCA outs on it. I didn't have one to test but I suspect this also means the Numark PT-01 would work.

The Columbia GP-3 does not work; it has a mono cartridge and I think that's the problem.
I also tried using an Audio Technica Sound Burger with it and that didn't work either; not sure why. It has a stereo cartridge and stereo outs but in any case, I would never use the Sound Burger with a Serato rig b/c it's not built well for that purpose.

I also realized that I don't really need the Akai AMX if my SL-1 box is sufficient but at least the AMX would result in a cleaner setup (i.e. one less device sitting on the table).
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:56 AM - 21 July, 2016
Good to know -!i remember now Serato usually needs a Stereo signal to work which is probably why Mono signal was no good