Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Pro's and Con's of DJing from an external HD

XCAKID 1:27 PM - 18 July, 2016
My 1TB internal HD is getting full. I do video so that takes up a lot of space.

I am contemplating of transferring all my music to an external HD, something that is 2TB and using that to DJ. I found a few that are fast with thunderbolt connections.

My questions are:

How many of you use primarily an external drive to DJ with SDJ or Scratch Live?

How long have you been doing it?

What are the advantages and disadvantages?

What problems/crashes/errors have you run into?

Any brands of External HDD that are absolutely crap and should avoid?
DJSpynn 1:42 PM - 18 July, 2016
All my music & videos are 3 TB Externals. There is no issue. If you are running a PC you can permanently set your drive letters to certain drives so you never an issue
GnollinZ 2:27 PM - 18 July, 2016
Since my Macbook Pro only has a 256GB SSD, I store all of my music on a 1TB Thunderbolt drive:

www.amazon.co.uk

Flawless so far.
XCAKID 2:56 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Since my Macbook Pro only has a 256GB SSD, I store all of my music on a 1TB Thunderbolt drive:

www.amazon.co.uk

Flawless so far.

How long have you been using an external drive?
Ever have a problem with it randomly disconnecting?
GnollinZ 3:40 PM - 18 July, 2016
Been using it most days for 6 months, zero disconnects.

The only thing that worries me is that it's quite easy to unplug a Thunderbolt connection. Really need a connection that latches for pro use.
Deejay Steve 4:40 PM - 18 July, 2016
I've been using external hard drives for years with zero problems. I use WD My Passport Studio 2TB via firewire 800. I have had faulty leads in the past but never failed during a gig, only whilst setting up so carry extra leads for sure. Been using my latest hard drive for a few years & hasn't failed me yet working 4 times a week for gigs around 6 to 7 hours. For video or audio works perfect for me OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on early 2011 15inch Macbook Pro i7.
Only word of caution, I've spoken to DJs who work in extremely loud gigs where the hard drive would be bouncing on the table with the bass and they have has hard drive disconnects but has never happened to me, maybe a large piece of sponge may help in that situation

Hope this helps
Steve
XCAKID 5:16 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
I've been using external hard drives for years with zero problems. I use WD My Passport Studio 2TB via firewire 800. I have had faulty leads in the past but never failed during a gig, only whilst setting up so carry extra leads for sure. Been using my latest hard drive for a few years & hasn't failed me yet working 4 times a week for gigs around 6 to 7 hours. For video or audio works perfect for me OS X Yosemite 10.10.5 on early 2011 15inch Macbook Pro i7.
Only word of caution, I've spoken to DJs who work in extremely loud gigs where the hard drive would be bouncing on the table with the bass and they have has hard drive disconnects but has never happened to me, maybe a large piece of sponge may help in that situation

Hope this helps
Steve

Awesome. Thanks for the info.
DJ Tecniq 6:34 PM - 18 July, 2016
For about 2 months I been using a Ext SSD Samsung T3 which has been solid so far. The connection isn't dodgy like most external drives. It's very tight and secure. I store all my videos on it while all my songs are on my Mac drive. It's only a 500 gig but I haven't even filled it up yet. I have even used it with a USB hub with no problems and it is super fast. Very happy with it so farπŸ‘πŸ» good luck
DJ Tecniq 6:37 PM - 18 July, 2016
It is the size of my palm and can fit it my pocket. Vey small and compact. My first time trying a Samsung ssd it stays cool as wellπŸ‘πŸ»
i am Dj fLiP 7:38 PM - 18 July, 2016
I use 2 4tb firewire 800 external drives, and a 2tb usb portable drive.
I use all of em at the same time, and no issues.

My 2tb usb portable drive is also plugged in a usb hub on port 2 (along w/my midi controller) while port 1 is for my NS7iii/SL4/DJM900nxs/etc.

If you have the older MBP's you can take out your cd drive, get the adapter and plug in a portable drive in there (which i also have on top of my external drives lol)
XCAKID 7:44 PM - 18 July, 2016
I have the newer retina macbooks. Can't touch or upgrade those. Everything is soldered on.
i am Dj fLiP 7:49 PM - 18 July, 2016
yep, you're screwed.

jk, yeah you're gonna have to resort to ext drives.
if you're using usb and need a hub, make sure you have a GOOD usb hub, or at least get a powered usb hub.

or utilize the thunderbolt port as well.

my 2 4tb seagate drives has a separate adapter to where I can switch it out from firewire800, to usb3.0 or thunderbolt should i need to. 1 of em, i've been using for at least 4 years now and it's still running great
XCAKID 8:11 PM - 18 July, 2016
Yeah, I have been looking at the LaCie 2TB or the Buffalo Ministation 2TB, both have a thunderbolt connector.
DjSyndic8 1:23 AM - 19 July, 2016
been using externals from day 1 I currently use a 3tb usb3 external but make sure you plug the drive directly into your USB port on your PC I never put it through a hub
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:39 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
I use 2 4tb firewire 800 external drives, and a 2tb usb portable drive.
I use all of em at the same time, and no issues.

Lord have mercy πŸ˜†

Thats like 10TB of storage right there.

Are they all bus powered?

Considering getting more space and can't justify spending 300€ on the 4TB thunderbolt. I like keeping things simple, minimal leads and connections.

Considering just getting a USB 3.0 desktop external HD probably with 5gb of space. It costs about 150, the only thing holding me back is that they need a power adapter and the manufacturers have tendency of supplying those with short leads. I have WD that I use for backing up and it's not the longest lead.
i am Dj fLiP 10:16 PM - 19 July, 2016
yeah, it is overkill.

the 2 4tb have their own power adapters, and the 2tb is bus powered.
i probably have maybe 6tb worth of files, but i just haven't had the time to reorganize them, so i'd rather be over prepared than underprepared lol.

oh mine are seagates btw, i stopped get WD's after my firewire ext drive went. been rocking one of the 4tb's for at least 4 years now, and it's still working great!

btw, my 4tb ext drives are the ones that you can switch out the adapters (currently using fw800) and it's futureproof as you would only need to buy the adapters if you wanted to use thunderbolt for example.
deejdave 2:19 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
I have the newer retina macbooks. Can't touch or upgrade those. Everything is soldered on.

Can absolutely upgrade the SSD with new kits eshop.macsales.com
DJ Marv the Maverick 2:19 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
yeah, it is overkill.

the 2 4tb have their own power adapters, and the 2tb is bus powered.
i probably have maybe 6tb worth of files, but i just haven't had the time to reorganize them, so i'd rather be over prepared than underprepared lol.

oh mine are seagates btw, i stopped get WD's after my firewire ext drive went. been rocking one of the 4tb's for at least 4 years now, and it's still working great!

btw, my 4tb ext drives are the ones that you can switch out the adapters (currently using fw800) and it's futureproof as you would only need to buy the adapters if you wanted to use thunderbolt for example.

You can consolidate and get two of this Seagate Expansion 5TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC & Xbox One www.amazon.co.uk

One for gigging, one for backing up
XCAKID 5:50 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see a 2TB model. I have a 1TB now
i am Dj fLiP 7:23 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:

You can consolidate and get two of this Seagate Expansion 5TB USB 3.0 Desktop 3.5 inch External Hard Drive for PC & Xbox One www.amazon.co.uk

I actually just consolidated one of my 4tb into my 2tb portable drive.
gonna wipe out the 4tb, and reformat it to HSF, then back up my other 4tb to it.

So my current setup will have a 4tb external drive through firewire, and 2tb through usb.
deejdave 8:26 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't see a 2TB model. I have a 1TB now

Not sure if there is one available there but I do remember seeing it either available or available soon from a third party manufacturer.
DJ Marv the Maverick 5:01 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I actually just consolidated one of my 4tb into my 2tb portable drive.
gonna wipe out the 4tb, and reformat it to HSF, then back up my other 4tb to it.

So my current setup will have a 4tb external drive through firewire, and 2tb through usb.

You are getting there πŸ˜†

From 10tb to 6tb
DJRockMyWorld 5:25 PM - 27 February, 2018
I know this is an old thread but....

I'm currently on a PC. My C drive is getting full. I have an additional internal HD on my computer with more space.

Do I need to just copy the folder where my music resides currently on the C: drive to my other internal drive, and then do the locate files thing for that drive?

Thanks for any help.
Deejay Steve 7:12 PM - 27 July, 2019
Are you trying to copy complete drive onto internal drive?
If you are it's easy, copy all of your music folders across as is including the _serato_ folders including the backup one and your software will see all the files once the _serato_ folder is there
bumbo08 7:18 AM - 29 July, 2019
Wow 18 months later...
Deejay Steve 7:31 AM - 29 July, 2019
Hahaha, I'm not on here much!!!