DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

So what's a good USED Mac to get?

DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:09 PM - 17 July, 2016
Didn't y'all have a link of some sort for refurbs?
DJ Ravien 11:30 PM - 17 July, 2016
Not sure if this is the one your talking about but here...

www.apple.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:40 PM - 17 July, 2016
Quote:
Not sure if this is the one your talking about but here...

www.apple.com

That may be it!

Thanks!
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 2:29 AM - 18 July, 2016
Also look here: eshop.macsales.com
Thundercat 2:52 AM - 18 July, 2016
damn...
DJ Remix Detroit 5:38 PM - 18 July, 2016
www.classiccmp.org

this might be a good start for ya.... it would go well with that radio shack mixer...lol
Joee 7:27 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
www.classiccmp.org

this might be a good start for ya.... it would go well with that radio shack mixer...lol

+1

You Know! that will run perfectly with ScratchLive 1.9

and if the monitor ever breaks all JM has to do is pull his old 1980's tube tv out of his living room

good find Remix, 2 thumbs up!
Joee 7:29 PM - 18 July, 2016
o i almost forgot i noticed the tape recorder on the side , good stuff dude he can make his mix tapes on the fly

:)
deezlee 8:22 PM - 18 July, 2016
2006 MacBook will run 1.9.2 flawlessly!
desmorider 2:34 AM - 19 July, 2016
Hell. Just get a 2016 MBP. You know it will take you two years of talking about it, before you actually get it. How long did you take to get the new speaker setup?
d:raf 5:20 AM - 19 July, 2016
I'm a firm believer in the late 2011-2012 era machines myself (from what I've gleaned from this board the early 2011's and earlier can be prone to logic board QC issues). I think these were the last ones that were user-upgradable. Just avoid the ones on this list (especially if you're buying used) www.apple.com
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:46 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
2006 MacBook will run 1.9.2 flawlessly!

Intrusting....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:46 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Hell. Just get a 2016 MBP. You know it will take you two years of talking about it, before you actually get it. How long did you take to get the new speaker setup?

Dude, you KNOW I'm on the cutting edge of technology.....
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in the late 2011-2012 era machines myself (from what I've gleaned from this board the early 2011's and earlier can be prone to logic board QC issues). I think these were the last ones that were user-upgradable. Just avoid the ones on this list (especially if you're buying used) www.apple.com

Good info...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:47 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
damn...

I know.... Sigh....
Joee 12:50 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Dude, you KNOW I'm on the cutting edge of technology.....

bawhahahahaa, you finally said something funny

no seriously ,that was a good one

"I'm on the cutting edge of technology"

CTFU
Logisticalstyles 1:50 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Just avoid the ones on this list (especially if you're buying used) www.apple.com

I just realized mine is on that list. So far I haven't had any issues.
dj_craigmac 2:58 PM - 19 July, 2016
I'm afraid to take the bait... I fell for it in the other why should I buy a MAC thread JM started.

JM... My man... Keep it simple, if YOU want a mac buy one... Anything except MacBook air and the known troubled models.
deezlee 4:08 PM - 19 July, 2016
If yer really thinking about getting a old (2006!)MacBook remember to use the old os and iTunes.
The upside is the old iTunes was way better anyway.
I still use mine for high pressure gigs no crashes ever.
deejayfatcat 9:07 PM - 19 July, 2016
I have a mint 12" iBook G4 1300 MHz that runs SL 2.4.2 flawlessly. Been thinking about selling it. I'd cut you a sweet deal just to see it live on.
pdidy 11:47 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Keep it simple, if YOU want a mac buy one... Anything except MacBook air

Guess I didn't get the memo...lol i26.photobucket.com
Mr. Goodkat 1:51 AM - 20 July, 2016
see johnny this is how threads work. you ask a question, people dont go on tangents, and they answer your question.
pdidy 2:15 AM - 20 July, 2016
My main Mac is a used 2011 macbook air www.everymac.com which meets all of my stability and reliability requirements for ALL versions of serato. This mba cost my only $400 and has flawlessly satisfied my high expectations for performance. No video or plugins, audio only.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:38 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
see johnny this is how threads work. you ask a question, people dont go on tangents, and they answer your question.

Like this tangent you're going on about forum etiquette?

Lmao!

Man up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:10 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
My main Mac is a used 2011 macbook air www.everymac.com which meets all of my stability and reliability requirements for ALL versions of serato. This mba cost my only $400 and has flawlessly satisfied my high expectations for performance. No video or plugins, audio only.

This........
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:45 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
I'm afraid to take the bait... I fell for it in the other why should I buy a MAC thread JM started.

Wait, what?

Quote:
JM... My man... Keep it simple, if YOU want a mac buy one... Anything except MacBook air and the known troubled models.

Oh, you already know I do what I want...Some cats have great opinions and offer solid ideas and alternatives, and some others are just "entertainment"....lol.

It's the internet...Buyer beware...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:45 AM - 20 July, 2016
But I was actually trying to sort out the "Troubled Models" if you will....
Dj Shamann 11:44 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in the late 2011-2012 era machines myself (from what I've gleaned from this board the early 2011's and earlier can be prone to logic board QC issues).

It was actually the late 2011-2012 models and some 2013s that had the problems, bad enough that there was a class action suit and Apple issued a recall. I was one of those affected.

I'm just going to C&P what I said in another thread about this:

serato.com

Quote:
Quote:
Everyone who owns a MBP has had success

Tell that to "everyone" who owned a 2011 and was part of the very large crowd of people who had video issues until a class action lawsuit finally got Apple to acknowledge it.

I'm one of those people, I believe 6 had some graphics problems a while back (correct me if I'm wrong 6 because I remember a post, but don't know if it was resolved and if it was related)

www.macrumors.com

www.macrumors.com

www.apple.com

www.google.com

Now I'm sure I'll get the inevitable "well mine works flawlessly, I do x amount of gigs, it works for me etc," but that doesn't change the fact that it was so bad for models spanning 2 years that a class action suit had to be filed.

You don't even want to know about the BS you have to go through to actually get Apple to do the replacement which doesn't guarantee a long term fix anyway.

To be safe JD, stay away from 2011 models. Stay away from 15" retina models between 2011-2013

The problem with the 2011's is the dual GPU, when they switch from Intel to AMD it causes problems and you either get distorted display, crash, and eventually horizontal bars on start up (which won't allow you to even boot the thing and then you're in real trouble)

To anybody reading this that has had the problem, get GFX card status app, stop it from dynamic switching and get to an Apple repair center before Feb 2016 (when the recall program ends) if they deem you worthy, they'll replace the logic board (which seems to be their "fix" for everything even though it doesn't fix the design flaw) and then you can cross your fingers and hope it doesn't happen again. If it does, look into getting it "reballed" (resoldering the contacts for the GPU)
Dj Shamann 11:47 AM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
But I was actually trying to sort out the "Troubled Models" if you will....

If you click on the Apple link in my quote, Johnny, you'll see that it was:

15-inch and 17-inch MacBook Pro models manufactured in 2011
15-inch MacBook Pro with Retina models manufactured from Mid 2012 to Early 2013

And the other links will basically show you how widespread it was.
Dj Shamann 11:51 AM - 20 July, 2016
You're only on SSL 1.9, you can get a 2010 machine for cheap on Kijiji/Craigslist or just hit up Apple refurb. At least with that you still get the basic warranty with an option for a 3 year Apple Care plan.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:02 PM - 20 July, 2016
JM, why are you specifically seeking a "used" mac, versus a new one?
Joee 3:16 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:

do you really need to ask that question?
d:raf 4:03 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I'm a firm believer in the late 2011-2012 era machines myself (from what I've gleaned from this board the early 2011's and earlier can be prone to logic board QC issues).

It was actually the late 2011-2012 models and some 2013s that had the problems, bad enough that there was a class action suit and Apple issued a recall. I was one of those affected.

Yeah, I put a link to the recall up there. I should have specified; it's the 13" models I like, not the 15"s.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:48 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yes he does, So that the thread can be derailed about how he buys used cars vs. new cars and how I can't afford it while making more than Donald Trump.
DJ Remix Detroit 5:25 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes he does, So that the thread can be derailed about how he buys used cars vs. new cars and how I can't afford it while making more than Donald Trump.

not exactly... just wanted to call out your blatent hypocriscy on criticizing people for buying used items instead of new items.

but i see your smart enough to get my drift...

carry on.
Mr. Goodkat 5:35 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Lmao!

Man up.

yeah like this one, you like turtles johnny?
Mr. Goodkat 5:35 PM - 20 July, 2016
what about ham sandwiches.

tell us more about 1.92?
Mr. Goodkat 5:36 PM - 20 July, 2016
tell us about that again
Mr. Goodkat 5:36 PM - 20 July, 2016
you still use 1.92 right?
DJ Art Pumpin Payne 6:33 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This - lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:49 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

not exactly... just wanted to call out your blatent hypocriscy on criticizing people for buying used items instead of new items.

carry on.

As usual, your lack of reading comprehension has reared it's illiterate head.

There is NOTHING the matter with buying USED equipment or whatever...

However, the hypocrisy comes into play when you CRITICIZE someone for buying NEW sh*t, when you're steady buying OLD sh*t....LMAO.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:49 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lmao!

Man up.

Turtles? No.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:51 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:

tell us more about 1.92?

Ham sandwiches were a staple back in the day.

1.9.1/2 is the bomb!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:52 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
tell us about that again

My pleasure!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 9:56 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:

Absolutely?

Did I tell you I'm running an HP using Windows XP and it's the tightest integration of DVS out there?

Here look! youtu.be
Dj Shamann 10:32 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
Yeah, I put a link to the recall up there. I should have specified; it's the 13" models I like, not the 15"s.

Gotcha.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:32 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:

But to answer your question, it's because I know I won't need the latest bells and whistles that come with a fully loaded Mac of today for my needs.

I'm doing Audio Only, have ZERO interest in videos as the up charge around this area isn't worth it.

That being said, I know there are some pretty savvy Mac cats on here who are also budget minded as well.

Pdidy 400.00 is a very nice price point...
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:33 PM - 20 July, 2016
Quote:
You're only on SSL 1.9, you can get a 2010 machine for cheap on Kijiji/Craigslist or just hit up Apple refurb. At least with that you still get the basic warranty with an option for a 3 year Apple Care plan.

Dope.
deejdave 1:29 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Dope.

Not sure this is true. Any Macbook Pro Pre 2011 is officially obsolete by Apple themselves and direct from Apple "Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions." so I don't see them offering a warranty or Apple Care for anything that old as what good would it do if they don't provide service or parts?

support.apple.com

Three months prior to this announcement linked above they obsoleted the 2008-2009 models. It does not take a genius to realize the 2011 will soon be next (sorry guys) so do yourself a favor and consider a current machine.

Quote:
Quote:

Wait, what?

serato.com
Joee 1:35 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

carry on.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Lmao!

Man up.

Quote:

tell us more about 1.92?

Quote:
tell us about that again

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

^^^This - lol

replygif.net
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:27 AM - 21 July, 2016
lol @ you just quoting stuff just "to be seen"...

I keep telling you...

Nobody knew you were gone....

Nobody.
Dj Shamann 3:37 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Not sure this is true. Any Macbook Pro Pre 2011 is officially obsolete by Apple themselves and direct from Apple "Apple has discontinued all hardware service for obsolete products with no exceptions." so I don't see them offering a warranty or Apple Care for anything that old as what good would it do if they don't provide service or parts?

No...

.1 Johnny you can buy 2010 machine on CL for cheap

2. OR you can buy something from refurb (as in what they carry) at which point you can get Apple Care

I've never seen something as far back as 2010 on refurb (at least since they started the recall for 2011+ problem models)
d:raf 3:38 AM - 21 July, 2016
Related note; I just picked up a pair of older 2009 2.53 ghz Core 2 Duo MBP's w/ 8 gigs of RAM each for $225 apiece.

Sold one to a good friend at cost; haven't decided what to do with the other yet...
Dj Shamann 3:42 AM - 21 July, 2016
Outside of that 2012, everything else is relatively current (retina, no DVD etc)

www.apple.com

These prices are obviously more than what you'll see a 2010 on CL for, so maybe what I originally said didn't make sense but I meant those as two separate options.
DJ Remix Detroit 11:12 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:

I keep telling you...

Nobody.

whatever, you know you missed him.

media0.giphy.com
Joee 11:19 AM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I keep telling you...

Nobody.

whatever, you know you missed him.

media0.giphy.com

bawhahahahahahaha

s1310.photobucket.com
Mr. Goodkat 8:44 PM - 21 July, 2016
is trump gonna win johnny?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:36 PM - 21 July, 2016
Quote:

Win what?
Mr. Goodkat 11:41 PM - 21 July, 2016
whos gonna win
Mr. Goodkat 12:10 AM - 22 July, 2016
post that grandmaster flash vid again johnny
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:17 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
whos gonna win

Win what?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:17 AM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:

Okay..... -> Watchwww.youtube.com
deezlee 4:48 PM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Win what?

Powerhouse debate move
Mr. Goodkat 7:55 PM - 22 July, 2016
still using 1.92?
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:14 PM - 22 July, 2016
Quote:
still using 1.92?

Actually 1.9.1.....
desmorider 1:09 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I think Joee would take him in a straight vinyl mix off.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:59 AM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ha, being from Philly and all, he'd first need to shore up on his "Pump Me Ups".
Joee 5:01 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

he knows it, thats why he was scared to come to philly for a old fashion dj battle i offered $1000 as a prize

the winner would have left with $2,000, i mean if he know he's better than me it's an easy $1,000 for him right?

i even offered to put both turntables on the left, just how he likes them

he's not far i'm in philly he's in jersey just a short ride away , he could have made a night of it came down with some of his people hit the club hit pats and genos for a cheese steak etc.

sh!t you were talking about coming down from baltimore so we could do zxa5 vs art 745 shootout & thats what 4 hours away....FYI i'm still down for this, just come hungry i'm treating to the top 5 cheese steak spots , you can decide who's best
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 5:23 PM - 23 July, 2016
Lol @ traveling to your home town to bust yo azz.

If I considered you a DJ at ALL I'd take your money.

But again, me beating you does absolutely NOTHING for me.

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.
Joee 5:27 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.

LMAO, you know this is 2016 right?
DJ Remix Detroit 7:00 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.

somebody is scurrrrrrrrred.

DJ JM.... the M stands for Marty McFly ;)
Joee 7:12 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.

you got it wrong it's DJJOHNNYM_vSpineĀ·L3ss , but you get the it tho
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:09 PM - 23 July, 2016
Good to see Charlie's Angels back in effect!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:10 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.

LMAO, you know this is 2016 right?

Sure is, and you STILL don't count.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 8:41 PM - 23 July, 2016
Quote:
;)

Lol @ you thinking Peer Pressure works on me...

You'd be better off using a Jedi Mind Trick.
DJ Remix Detroit 12:02 AM - 24 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I'm not a puppy kicker.

Lol! Practice yo cutz.

you got it wrong it's DJJOHNNYM_vSpineĀ·L3ss , but you get the it tho

hell, JM could swoop by, battle, win that $1000, eat some legendary cheasteak and buy himself a NEW mbp.

cant see why anybody with skills would pass that up.
Joee 7:02 PM - 24 July, 2016
Quote:
hell, JM could swoop by, battle, win that $1000, eat some legendary cheasteak and buy himself a NEW mbp.

cant see why anybody with skills would pass that up.

don't peer pressure him!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:36 PM - 25 July, 2016
You ladies still giggling?

I'm not interested in kicking any kittens this year....lmao.