Serato Video General Discussion

Talk about Serato Video and Video-SL.

Video playback problems...

Rebelguy 2:22 AM - 15 July, 2016
Hey Folks...

I am currently running the following configuration...

MacBook Pro
15-inch, Mid 2012
Processor 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F2560)
SDJ 1.9.1
Mix Emergency 3.0.2

For the past few months I have been having some serious issues with video playback at events. Basically it looks like videos are dropping frames with the screen video occasionally freezing momentarily and then continuing on. I am running SMC Fan Control but still sometimes have temperatures hitting 205 degrees F. Mix Emergency is set to 50% quality. All my videos are sourced from Smashvidz, Xtendamix and my own edits. This problem occurs with SD and HD videos. I usually run the external output at "Best for the display" option. One thing I have noticed is that a few times I have switched resolutions at the event and when I revert back to the "Best for the display" option then problem stops.

I have an appointment with Apple next week but I am curious if anyone else has had a problem like this. I am wondering if it is a failing video card. My computer is not one of the models that had video card failures.
DJ Baby Boy 12:59 PM - 15 July, 2016
Just out of curiosity what are you connecting with? VGA or HDMI? I did have a similar issue quite a while back and because of it I had to replace the logic board which was cheaper to do through apple than by myself due to having trouble finding the board for a reasonable price ... Apple will replace it for around $320 ... I will say that this problem only occurred when I connected via HDMI and went full screen in ME if I stretched the output to the full size of the screen there was no issue it only happened when I hit full screen
Rebelguy 1:30 PM - 15 July, 2016
Thanks for the response. It actually happens when using VGA or HDMI. I did have the same problem with Mix Emergency though. If I drag the screen to full size manually the issue isn't there. Only when i double click to go full screen. Was your problem because of the logic board or the video card?
DJ Baby Boy 1:35 PM - 15 July, 2016
Well as odd as it is nobody was able to narrow it down to either the program or the hardware in my case which sucked and unfortunately you can't just change the graphics card you have to replace the entire logic board ... But me & Nick ran through a lot of trouble shooting trying to narrow down anything in ME and I also spent hours both on my own and with apple running through various tests and they couldn't show any problems with the hardware but after having the logic board replaced I never had the issue again and now I'm running full force with SDJ, ME & Arena no problems at all ... Also on a 2012 MBP
DJ Tecniq 6:49 PM - 18 July, 2016
Does the 2012 have an HDMI output built in? Or does it need an adapter? May want to see if the adapter is causing those issues if so.
i am Dj fLiP 7:24 PM - 18 July, 2016
My mid 2012 uses an adapter. I think they implemented the HDMI after this gen.
Rebelguy 10:14 PM - 18 July, 2016
Quote:
Does the 2012 have an HDMI output built in? Or does it need an adapter? May want to see if the adapter is causing those issues if so.

I use an adapter as well but that isn't the issue. I have tried a few different adapters.
DJ Baby Boy 6:01 AM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:

His is the non retina so no built in HDMI but when I had the issue with mine as well I went through litterally 10 different adapters with all the same issue ... The logic board just needs to be replaced
DJ Tecniq 7:36 AM - 19 July, 2016
Yeah I thought it was the 2010 and 2011 models but turns out some 2012 models have it to. Best to just get it tested👍🏻
popnwave 7:40 PM - 19 July, 2016
Quote:
Yeah I thought it was the 2010 and 2011 models but turns out some 2012 models have it to. Best to just get it tested👍🏻

They started doing on board HDMI once the retinas rolled out. So 2012 has both styles with the late 2012 units adopting Retina + slimmer body that can't be upgraded as easy, but does have on board HDMI.
i am Dj fLiP 7:46 PM - 19 July, 2016
that's why i did my hw and resorted to mid 2012 mbp since it's the last one that you can upgrade stuff with.

but i'm sure the early versions of the "soldered" hardware are probably not that bad to work on.
DJMark 6:49 AM - 26 July, 2016
Have you tried vacuuming out the fans? And the inside of the computer in general?

205 degrees F is catastrophically hot, you're very close to the rated failure temperature of the CPU and other components. The stuff you see happening with ME may well be from the CPU/GPU going into thermally-induced throttling.
DSAND 11:01 AM - 27 July, 2016
This problem started when I upgraded to OS X 10.11 El Capitan on both my MacBook and Mac Mini. I have tried all the settings in Serato and get the same result.
i am Dj fLiP 6:21 PM - 27 July, 2016
you gotta keep in mind, when you upgrade OS, you're going to need to update the firmware, drivers, etc for your devices.
DSAND 11:29 PM - 27 July, 2016
That is the first thing I did when I upgraded to El Capitan
DJ Tecniq 11:05 AM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
That is the first thing I did when I upgraded to El Capitan
Not good but you need to understand Serato has and still is having some major issues with El Capitan. Have you tried updating your computer for new OSX updates?
DJMark 9:33 PM - 28 July, 2016
The original poster clearly stated he's running Mountain Lion, so all this talk about El Capitan is useless and in the way.
DJ Tecniq 10:49 PM - 28 July, 2016
Quote:
The original poster clearly stated he's running Mountain Lion, so all this talk about El Capitan is useless and in the way.
Correct but I wasn't replying to the OP..lol
dj govin 7:22 PM - 2 August, 2016
I'm having lags in my videos when i play using SSL but when i use SDJ on my 900srt, the lags are minimal.. is there a way how to get rid of the lags?

Macbook pro mid 2012
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB
OS X YOSEMITE Ver 10.10.1

output quality - Medium
buffer size - 2GB
YUV handling - Default

Are there any changes i need to make to get smooth playbacks?
DJ Baby Boy 4:37 AM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:
I'm having lags in my videos when i play using SSL but when i use SDJ on my 900srt, the lags are minimal.. is there a way how to get rid of the lags?

Macbook pro mid 2012
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1024 MB

output quality - Medium
buffer size - 2GB
YUV handling - Default

Upgrade your laptop to one with a dedicated graphics card most importantly but also buy MixEmergency which will help you out dramatically with the machine you have now and going forward with whichever machine you choose to upgrade to
DJ Tecniq 6:53 AM - 3 August, 2016
Quote:

Macbook pro mid 2012
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5
8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Intel HD Graphics tel:4000%201024 MB

output quality - Medium
buffer size - 2GB
YUV handling - Default

I agree you are using an integrated graphics card. You need a Mac with a NVIDEA card to switch to high performance graphics when video mixing. Have you tried the new 1.9.2 release? It seems to have better CPU running SV with SDJ. Also running the video quality on medium will look pretty bad so I'd say an upgrade is def needed. I can run my video quality on "Best" and it looks HD. That's also cause I have a 15" Mid 2014 MBP w/16 gigs ram.
dj govin 9:20 PM - 4 August, 2016
Thanx guys.. will test out 1.9.2 soon.. and revert if there is any changes
Maskrider 1:09 PM - 27 September, 2016
I'm still on Yosemite with a Macbook Pro (Early 2011)
Ver. 10.10.5
Processor 2 GHz Intel Core I7
16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics Card AMD RADEON HD 6490M 256 MB

Never had problems

I'm Using SDJ 1.8.1
I'm using M.E as well