Serato DJ Pro General Discussion

Talk about Serato DJ Pro, expansion packs and supported hardware

Rane sold!?

hersh20 12:51 AM - 6 July, 2016
What are these grumblings about Rane being bought out?? How do the Rane boys feel. If its true, i suspect its a pretty scary time up there in Washington... :-(
Best wishes fellas...
Big Pops 12:53 AM - 6 July, 2016
It's sold to inMusic
DJ Tecniq 1:52 AM - 6 July, 2016
If I haven't heard of inMusic I don't expect much...Pioneer will be taking over now👏🏻
Big Pops 2:20 AM - 6 July, 2016
InMusic is the company that owns Akai, Numark , Denon and about two more companies
slimmjimm 2:25 AM - 6 July, 2016
I dunno, we'll have to wait and see if it's bad. The thing with Rane is that it's kind of a niche-y company, they have to know the people who (previously?) bought their products were looking for US made. Unless they really were looking for only a name and plan on beating it to shit. All of the mindless "new crop" of DJs are trained to go for Pioneer, they don't give a shit about the Rane name.
DJ Tecniq 3:34 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
InMusic is the company that owns Akai, Numark , Denon and about two more companies
Ahhh thanks for clarifying. So this means qualify control will go down hill for Rane products.
Laz219 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2016
I feel like them going to Inmusic means they'll lose the things that made them stand out. Their after sales support was incredibly good and I just don't see that continuing under a huge corporation.
Ragman 3:44 AM - 6 July, 2016
Why don't we just wait and see before throwing dirt on their grave.
Ragman 3:52 AM - 6 July, 2016
This could be a good thing as Rane is now backed by a company with deep pockets. Denon got bought by InMusic and have made a resurrection of sorts. InMusic have added some great DJ companies to their portfolio and I willing to bet Pioneer is paying attention. The next question is are they looking at Serato as good investment.
Rebelguy 3:54 AM - 6 July, 2016
Well the Rane staff is being fired so we can assume that customer service and tech support will be handled by Inmusic. Does anyone have any reviews on recent dealing with them?
skinnyguy 7:11 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Well the Rane staff is being fired so we can assume that customer service and tech support will be handled by Inmusic. Does anyone have any reviews on recent dealing with them?

probably Chino
monchi 9:38 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
If I haven't heard of inMusic I don't expect much...Pioneer will be taking over now👏🏻

Interesting that you would be applauding that Pioneer will be taking over.

Did you not have an issue with your S(uka)9? You waited almost 2 weeks to receive it back?

Pioneer did not even attempt to fix it , they rather send you a new unit .
Why ,because it is a disposable unit with plastic disposable inferior parts.

I have read many post were a Rane user had problems and within 2-3 days turn around time they get they mixer back working like new.

So for all the real working DJs' it is truly a SAD day that Rane was sold.

Can we hope for something good out of this, only time will tell.

Tecniq not picking on you just trying to make sense of you applauding a Pioneer takeover.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:15 AM - 6 July, 2016
Read that manufacturing will be outsourced to the far East now.

Maybe Rane will start making controllers now?

I just feel a bit lost with all the current movement in the DJ industry.

InMusic might buy Serato at the rate they are acquiring everything.

On the bright side, price may come down for Rane stuff.
DJ Remix Detroit 1:14 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
I just feel a bit lost with all the current movement in the DJ industry.

I'm pretty sure Sam saw this comming and that's why he bailed.... He didn't just leave one of the best dj companies for shits and giggles.
monchi 2:09 PM - 6 July, 2016
^^^ You meant to say Mike May
Rebelguy 2:26 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

+1
hersh20 3:03 PM - 6 July, 2016
As stated in my original post, Good luck to the employees up there this has to suck. Another example of losing jobs to overseas markets... :-(
DJ Remix Detroit 3:06 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

yeah, him too...lol
DJ Remix Detroit 3:06 PM - 6 July, 2016
whenever you see higher up execs jumping ship.... you know shit is about to go down....Enron happens to come to mind...lol
DJ Tecniq 5:21 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Tecniq not picking on you just trying to make sense of you applauding a Pioneer takeover.
I would much rather have a brand new unit then one that was repaired. Pioneer I believe are fixing it and will prob sell it as a refurb. It took 2 weeks to get another cause I had to ship the defective unit to Pioneer and once it reached their factory agiprodj sent a new unit to me from their recent shipment. I could of waited longer but I paid for 3 day shipping. Defects happen with anything that is mass produced. Rane has been a leading DJ company for years now it's Pioneer's turn. Just my opinion carry on...
Detroitbootybass 5:40 PM - 6 July, 2016
A sad, sad day.

:(

R.I.P. Rane
AKIEM 5:58 PM - 6 July, 2016
Terrible news.
J.J. 10:31 PM - 6 July, 2016
Is it entirely impossible for anyone still at Rane to pull a Alessio Foti?

He went from working at DJ Tech to opening his own business called Mixars in a few months.
djworx.com

I just want a Rane 62 with 16 Pads like the Pioneer DJ DJM-S9.
DJ Marv the Maverick 10:44 PM - 6 July, 2016
I
Quote:
Is it entirely impossible for anyone still at Rane to pull a Alessio Foti?

He went from working at DJ Tech to opening his own business called Mixars in a few months.
djworx.com

I just want a Rane 62 with 16 Pads like the Pioneer DJ DJM-S9.

Was also waiting for something like that. Looks like I'm gonna get an S9 now.
Ragman 11:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
If anything InMusic has a lot of leverage to combine these off-shoot companies into a singular super DJ company that can legitimately take on a Pioneer. The ball is in their court (especially if a Serato purchase were to happen). Just take the best R&D, innovation, creativity, development, customer support, sales and marketing of all their DJ companies and combine them and you have the making of the Golden State Warriors of the DJ world. All they would need is Serato (Kevin Durant) to join the team and it's a wrap. LMAO!!!

But seriously it's definitely a thought.
DJ Ed Wong 3:14 AM - 7 July, 2016
wha????

BTW - Rane has a whole other division doing pro broadcast / installation gear...

Their stuff was SOLID...
Chino 11:42 AM - 7 July, 2016
So I just got back from my vacation in Miami to this news?! First Vestax, now Rane???!!! Rane has the best build quality and customer service in the DJ industry by far!! I wish the Rane employees all the best!!
Dokumentary 12:52 AM - 8 July, 2016
Hopefully someone from Mukilteo will eventually do a write up about the whole El Capitan debacle and we'll finally get the whole truth. Probably after the dust settles.
Chino 12:26 PM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:

My most recent dealings with InMusic was my purchase of the MCx8000. Initially I had ALOT of trouble with audio distortion. The InMusic customer service reps I dealt with where knowledgeable and extremely helpful. Eventually, I was shipped a new replacement controller to replace the defective MCx8000.
Chino 2:54 PM - 9 July, 2016
There is some good news to Rane being sold to InMusic. The ultimate controller can now be made. InMusic will now have Denon DJ, Numark, Rane & Akai to pull technology from. My prediction of a controller with Denon DJ direct drive moving platters, Akai MPC performance pads, Numark screens, Rane magnetic faders and legendary build quality... is now very feasible! I do think InMusic is brave enough to build such a controller!! It may even include embedded technology too.
Ragman 3:25 PM - 9 July, 2016
^This is what I've been harping on since the Rane announcement. InMusic now have the resources (hardware wise) to make some truly innovative DJ gear. Now it's just a wait and see if they make the right moves. They would really be doing themselves a disservice not to pool the creativeness and innovative knowledge of all their companies into one awesome think tank.
Ragman 4:21 PM - 9 July, 2016
*Along with a top notch customer support layer.
skinnyguy 6:30 PM - 9 July, 2016
Rane magnetic faders, possibly. Legendary build quality and customer support, probably not.
Chino 8:31 PM - 9 July, 2016
^^^ @ skinnyguy…I do share your concerns about build quality and customer service. Ideally, it would benefit InMusic to mimic Rane's outstanding customer service and build quality.

My recent experience with InMusic's support team was a very positive one. If InMusic is going head to head against Pioneer then they will need to show their customer base what makes them different/better than the competition. An easy way to do that is by building better, cheaper products and supporting them with great customer services!
skinnyguy 8:43 AM - 10 July, 2016
I've always read people complaining about Pio customer service. And the mcx is less than half the price of their new RB flagship.
DJ Marv the Maverick 9:42 AM - 10 July, 2016
Watchful waiting
reif99 11:43 PM - 10 July, 2016
But what happens going forward???

What happens when the next Mac OS or Windows 11 are released??

Are the SL boxes, Sixty series, 57mkII & MP's going to have drivers?? Are InMusic going to care??

InMusic seem to treat the Denon SC3900 like a bastard stepchild. Why is there no Serato DJ midi mapping?? The old scratch live one does not work with SDJ

As an owner of both a SL4 & Sixty One, I am now pretty concerned going forward.

I made a mistake buying a Sixty one, I really should have brought a Sixty Two, I have been contemplating buying a Sixty Two for the last couple of months and offloading my Sixty One.

However, I want an quality overpriced 2 channel Serato w/ midi features Asian made mixer, I may as well buy a Mixers Duo or Pioneer S9
Ragman 2:34 AM - 11 July, 2016
InMusic is not responsible for the SC3900. That's Denon's responsibility. InMusic is just a holding company whose primary concern is to make sure their subsidiary companies remain profitable. I'm sure they make operational decisions as a whole, that's why you see Denon and Numark with one customer support now. But the inner-workings of each company is still managed by each company. as far as the Rane 62, I'm sure it will be awhile before the current stock is depleted. I wouldn't wait forever but if you're looking for the current Rane 62 say in a few months, you should still be able to buy one. Hell they're all over ebay.
Ragman 5:41 PM - 15 July, 2016
I find it very odd for Serato and Rane to have such a long partnership, yet we haven't heard from Serato about how this will affect that relationship between the two companies.
Beatlogik 9:40 PM - 15 July, 2016
Just traded my 900SRT in for a new MP2015 before the manufacturing moves to inMusic's partners in the far east. A true American classic!
myndgruv 12:18 AM - 16 July, 2016
Quote:
I find it very odd for Serato and Rane to have such a long partnership, yet we haven't heard from Serato about how this will affect that relationship between the two companies.

serato and In music are workinh together so i doubt it has much of an effect but who knows. Denon and numark just dropped newer serato basted controllers
DJHexum 7:41 PM - 16 September, 2016
Bad...where the repair process from start to finish (including calling, shipping to, repair, shipping back) would be 1-2 weeks at most - now cannot even get anybody to call me back. Basically now instead of calling Rane in Washington, you now call InMusic in Rhode Island where an actual person (give them credit for that) takes down your name and number and says someone will call you back "as soon as possible". Trying to get a few things fixed on my 62 mixer stateside before everything goes overseas. If anybody else has other options for repair please post.
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 2:42 PM - 19 May, 2017
It might be good but seriously doubt it. If you look at how terrible inMusic is ran from a company perspective then you're going to see how terrible Rane mixers are going to be with cheap shitty parts, to keep production costs down, all while inMusic tries to convince you it's still Rane, then when time comes to get it fixed it'll take 4 months to get it back cause it has to be shipped to China & given plastic toxic parts as replacements then another 2 months to finally get back to the owner who paid $2500.00 for a Chinese knockoff with a Rane.

On top of that Rane was really catered to vinyl scratch deejays & digital still can't compete with the feel & sound of scratching with vinyl.

logo.www.glassdoor.com
DJMaytag 5:46 PM - 13 June, 2023
So was InMusic responsible for what happened with the Serato boxes getting dropped? Curious if they’re behind not wanting to mess with driver support, or if Serato or Apple had more to do with it (someone said El Capitan was a problem?).
DJMaytag 5:48 PM - 13 June, 2023
Asking because InMusic just bought Moog Music, and some of us producers are wondering what’s going to happen to Moog. I feel like there’s a chance that Moog could end up like Rane, a “made in the USA” type company that ended up outsourcing everything to China and having its quality go down the tubes.
HellNegative1 6:23 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:
Asking because InMusic just bought Moog Music, and some of us producers are wondering what’s going to happen to Moog. I feel like there’s a chance that Moog could end up like Rane, a “made in the USA” type company that ended up outsourcing everything to China and having its quality go down the tubes.

1. Way to necrobump this thread.

2. Neither InMusic or Serato has confirmed whose decision it was to end driver support. However, A&H non-class compliant devices were also dropped from Serato. We can just assume that EOL devices are no longer going to be supported as Apple drops driver support with future updates. These devices still work with windows, but it’s easier for Serato as a company to kill support overall to avoid customer issues (I don’t agree with the idea, but eh).

3. All newer InMusic associated devices have been using class compliant audio interfaces, so future support shouldn’t be an issue. Are there any Moog devices with built in audio interfaces? I can’t think of any.

4. We won’t know what will happen to Moog’s manufacturing without having an actual look at the contract or waiting to see what happens further down the line. However, it is unlikely that there will be a change in manufacturing. Also, InMusic makes their products in Taiwan, not China.
HellNegative1 6:25 PM - 13 June, 2023
From Moog,

“ With product development continuing to be led by Steve Dunnington, a long-time Moog engineer and former student of Bob Moog, we are proud to keep engineering, designing, and building instruments in our hometown of Asheville, North Carolina, USA.”
metroplex2005 8:34 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:
...and some of us producers are wondering what’s going to happen to Moog.

So, Moog is most likely dead, like all the other "big" brand names in posession of inmusic.

Its just a future brand name, used for hanpin/yahorng made consumer hardware.

Including the famous notorious custumer services, update policy, model cycles, etc.

As long as you buy new hardware every 2-3 years and thus consume it, everything is fine. At least for this group.
DJ STU-C 9:02 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:
Quote:
...and some of us producers are wondering what’s going to happen to Moog.

As long as you buy new hardware every 2-3 years and thus consume it, everything is fine. At least for this group.

I think thats slightly harsh, given their firmware policy and updating old devices.
metroplex2005 9:42 PM - 13 June, 2023
I think thats slightly harsh, given their firmware policy and updating old devices.

Are you really serious?

So I'm still waiting for the firmware and driver updates for

SL2-4
57mk2 (the biggest joke of all, just turned 8 years old...)
HellNegative1 9:54 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:

Are you really serious?

SL2-4

Some of these devices are a decade+ old. In the modern technology landscape, you can expect to refresh every 5-7 years.

The sc5000’a just turned 6. They are still getting updates, but I don’t expect that to continue after next year.
Ragman 10:16 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:
So was InMusic responsible for what happened with the Serato boxes getting dropped? Curious if they’re behind not wanting to mess with driver support, or if Serato or Apple had more to do with it (someone said El Capitan was a problem?).

Rane owns the box, so it's technically not a Serato box. Just like the Pioneer S11 is technically not a Serato mixer. When Rane or other DJ hardware companies discontinues a piece of hardware that controls Serato DJ Pro, Serato must comply. It's not some conspiracy to piss off DJs.
DJ STU-C 10:58 PM - 13 June, 2023
Quote:

Are you really serious?

SL2-4

As HN said above, the Denon/Numark products in the Prime range are getting regular firmware updates and expanded features added long after their initial release.

We all understand the nonsense around the Rane products, and we may never know the actual truth as to who or what was behind the reason for them not being supported, but my comment of 'slightly harsh' still stands when looking at their policies around support of Prime gear.
electro77 12:13 AM - 14 June, 2023
68 was a powerful expensive digital mixer. What year was it discontinued?
DJMaytag 1:20 AM - 14 June, 2023
Quote:
When Rane or other DJ hardware companies discontinues a piece of hardware that controls Serato DJ Pro, Serato must comply. It's not some conspiracy to piss off DJs.

I guess I’ve become used to outstanding legacy driver support when it comes to using RME audio interfaces in my studio. 20 year old hardware needs drivers for Ventura? No problem. We got ya.
Despo 8:50 AM - 14 June, 2023
Quote:
When Rane or other DJ hardware companies discontinues a piece of hardware that controls Serato DJ Pro, Serato must comply. It's not some conspiracy to piss off DJs.

Nope, it's specifically done to piss of DJs. Why else do you think they always do this right before major software changes? Stems is a huge deal, last time they did it inbetween the switch from scratch live to SDJ.

Quote:
Some of these devices are a decade+ old. In the modern technology landscape, you can expect to refresh every 5-7 years.

The oldest Pioneer products are still supported to this day.
DjSyndic8 11:03 AM - 14 June, 2023
Quote:

still happy with my DDJSX2 and DDJSR2 still going strong
HellNegative1 1:07 PM - 14 June, 2023
Quote:

Pioneer and RME also charge a premium for their devices leading to a higher dev budget for each device.

The DB2 and DB4, for ex, on just the next pricing tier down from Pioneer also do not work with newer versions of Serato DJ.

And to be fair, all of the aforementioned legacy devices except the SL2 still work on windows 11 with all other DJ software except Serato DJ. So, it is really Serato users on Mac that are getting the shaft here.

Currently, there are more non-Serato unlock devices, with interfaces, on the DJ market than there are products that do unlock Serato DJ. The latest trend is to use class compliant interfaces in the DJ device to avoid future driver issues. So, this begs the question… why are companies choosing to work with Serato DJ less.
popnwave 3:54 PM - 14 June, 2023
Quote:

I crap on their price point, but maybe that's what you get when you buy Pioneer? My SX is still used when I am at home and that's hitting 10 years!!
DjSyndic8 5:13 AM - 15 June, 2023
Quote:
Quote:

I crap on their price point, but maybe that's what you get when you buy Pioneer? My SX is still used when I am at home and that's hitting 10 years!!

Niiiice one thing I like about the SX2 is the many buttons I can map to do stems and grid edit on the fly
Big Pops 6:26 AM - 15 June, 2023
I have a SX3 and honestly I don't see anything that really excite me to upgrade, still going strong.
DjSyndic8 7:07 AM - 15 June, 2023
Quote:
I have a SX3 and honestly I don't see anything that really excite me to upgrade, still going strong.

u have the added advantage of connecting 2 laptops
DJ Guayo 11:14 PM - 15 June, 2023
I just brought back my 2009 MacBook Pro from the dead to run my Rane 62 at the house. I installed SSL. SSL is super lite, 26MB I believe. Still reads crates like a boss too.