DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

RANE sold to inMusic / good or Bad?

monchi 12:12 AM - 6 July, 2016
DJ_X_Trodinaire 12:15 AM - 6 July, 2016
RIP
Mr. Goodkat 12:25 AM - 6 July, 2016
numark, denon, and rane. could be worse
Mr. Goodkat 12:26 AM - 6 July, 2016
might have rane device and serato working together again?
monchi 12:27 AM - 6 July, 2016
Akai is also part of inMusic. So maybe a Rane 62MK2 with MPC pads ;)
monchi 12:31 AM - 6 July, 2016
I really hope that CUSTOMER SERVICE will remain CUStOMER SERVICE.
AddamXavier 12:34 AM - 6 July, 2016
Wooooow
djkurve 12:36 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
RIP

THIS!
djkurve 12:36 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Yeah that's wishful thinking....
monchi 12:36 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

When an EX do you wrong, would you go back to that ….. LOL

Well business is business, naaaahhhh
Systemaddict 1:05 AM - 6 July, 2016
BAD

Not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad
popnwave 1:56 AM - 6 July, 2016
Depends, but it's highly unlikely they will keep the US support as strong as it has been over the years. It's pretty rare that a company can off shore everything and maintain that (maybe Apple pulls it off?).

Don't blame them if the offer was good enough, market seems to be cannibalizing itself and with the bitchy user base. Maybe El Cap's audio headaches were what pushed them over?
Mr. Goodkat 1:59 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

When an EX do you wrong, would you go back to that ….. LOL

Well business is business, naaaahhhh

well, denon and numark seem to do ok, and its not really an ex at this point, its basically a new company. said most of the manufacturing is moving east and only a few will remain in washington.
DJ Barticus 2:43 AM - 6 July, 2016
so sad about this, RIP to those 60 decent US jobs. thanks to the staff for all the support over the years. I don't trust any DJ hardware manufacturers now. Rane must have had a technics problem, they made stuff lasted and didn't need constant replacement. now it's all gonna be disposable junk mk nexus 2
DJ Remix Detroit 2:53 AM - 6 July, 2016
www.facebook.com

Apologies — the Rane news story has swamped the DJWORX site. Here's the press release if you're in any doubt to authenticity:
"Rane Corporation is pleased to announce that cofounders Linda Arink and Dennis Bohn have agreed to sell Rane Corporation to InMusic LLC. The transaction is set to be completed this summer. After the sale Ms. Arink and Mr. Bohn plan to step down and retire.
Rane is one of the most admired companies within the DJ and commercial sound industry. "Rane will continue some operations out of the Mukilteo, Washington headquarters," says Ms. Arink.
Ms. Arink feels that with the added resources, engineering talent, and additional IP, InMusic is an ideal buyer for Rane Corporation and will help it grow now and in the future. "
And here's what we have got from sources:
• The owners of Rane were looking for a buyer, and inMusic clearly made the most attractive offer.
• The majority of the 60+ workforce will be “permanently displaced” at the end of July.
• Some engineers will remain (from the HAL/install side) in Seattle.
• The DJ side of Rane will be absorbed into the Numark/Denon team at inMusic HQ
• Manufacturing will be moved to inMusic’s contractors in the far east.
A press release is coming from inMusic. But it's real.
Taipanic 2:56 AM - 6 July, 2016
Bad, being sold to the highest bidder who will axe most of the jobs here and ship production to crappy overseas plants. SAD that they felt they had to extract every last dollar at the expense of their employees and dedicated customers. I'm so over the excessive greed that has taken over the business world these days - more money than you will ever need, just to have it - no matter what the cost to others. I'm all for making money and living the good life but do you need 10s of millions or hundreds of millions at the expense of ruining common, everyday worker's lives? I'd be OK with several million and still try to take care of the people who helped me be successful, even if by trying to find a good buyer and saving their jobs. It's not just this, it's everywhere these days, so tired of this. I'm trying to open a new business myself so I can take hopefully care of other people, while taking care of myself and my family.
DJ Remix Detroit 3:00 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
I'm trying to open a new business myself so I can take hopefully care of other people, while taking care of myself and my family.

i hear ya man, i opened up my own business last year for the same reason, and never looked back.
Rebelguy 3:27 AM - 6 July, 2016
I'm going to hazard a guess that the selling price was not as high as people think.
DJ Irv 3:31 AM - 6 July, 2016
Would any of you pay the current Rane prices for Chinese made Rane gear?

In order for me even consider a brand new Chinese made Rane mixer it would have to cost half the price of the American made Rane mixers.

Also, would you buy a used and out of warranty Rane now knowing that their support will shipped off minimally trained technicians if they even support out of warranty repairs.

Damn shame: Founders of Rane get paid workers get the shaft, DJ's get another poorly made mixer with terrible support.
MPC O.G. 3:34 AM - 6 July, 2016
Well, WE did this. Serato cut Rane's throat by cutting a deal with Pio. Pio cut Serato's throat with RB. People FLOCKED to buy the SHITTY S9 and Rane couldn't keep up (cost to profit margin on that P.O.S. S9 is ridiculous compared to a 62). Don't cry, bitch, and moan NOW.
woody008 3:38 AM - 6 July, 2016
A "Rane" made in china is not a Rane. I personally will never buy anything Rane ever again.

Rane is practically dead. I'm quite disgusted to be quite honest.
djcrap 4:20 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
A "Rane" made in china is not a Rane. I personally will never buy anything Rane ever again.

Yup its def not a rane but a chinrane

+1 i will never buy a chimrane

Pioneer here i come
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:21 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Well, WE did this. Serato cut Rane's throat by cutting a deal with Pio. Pio cut Serato's throat with RB. People FLOCKED to buy the SHITTY S9 and Rane couldn't keep up (cost to profit margin on that P.O.S. S9 is ridiculous compared to a 62). Don't cry, bitch, and moan NOW.

The S9 most definitely did not single handedly kill rane
Dj-M.Bezzle 4:22 AM - 6 July, 2016
This just puts me 1 step closer to welcoming pioneers dj software
Culprit 5:24 AM - 6 July, 2016
Fuckin sad, Rane gave up like that. Straight up, disgusted with them. If Numark is smart, they will just kill the mixers off so we're forced to use new equipment with deals for Serato DJ.

We loose, Rane is the only real competitor to Pioneer.
Culprit 5:25 AM - 6 July, 2016
Or was.. Unless Allen n Heath step it up..
pdidy 6:02 AM - 6 July, 2016
I once broke my 57 gain knob on Sunday, shipped it to Rane on Monday, Rane repaired and REFURBISHED and shipped it back Tuesday, It was back at my door by Wednesday in perfect condition.

Those days of complete security and reliability in a mixer and its company are now gone......
DJ Unique 6:03 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Or was.. Unless Allen n Heath step it up..

This is what I want.
Allen & Heath for Serato with MPC type pads
DJMark 6:07 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Fuckin sad, Rane gave up like that.

Looking back at the last 10 years or so, I'd say they held on and kept up their efforts for a long time.

Rane's original business was built on installs. It wasn't bedroom DJ's buying $1,000+ MP24's in 1990, it was bars and clubs who installed them in DJ booths as Rane's reputation for quality and support quickly got around.

We all know that "installs" in a lot of bars and clubs are now a thing of the past, and the average DJ's brain is filled with images of toy-like creations pretending to be pro-audio gear.

Very likely this would have happened years ago if Scratch Live hadn't come into the picture 12 years ago.

In the absence of even the slightest indication that trends are going any other way, and with Rane losing its exclusive association with Serato's DJ software, I don't see how what happened today could have been prevented by anything other than altruism.

It's a very very sad day.
blackavenger 7:12 AM - 6 July, 2016
:'(
nik39 8:22 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

+1.

What a sad day :(
monchi 9:12 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

THIS
monchi 9:13 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Would any of you pay the current Rane prices for Chinese made Rane gear?

People are paying that for inferior parts in Pioneer products.
monchi 9:13 AM - 6 July, 2016
high price *** S9 , example
monchi 9:15 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Yes to the latter.
ozfrombk 10:13 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
I once broke my 57 gain knob on Sunday, shipped it to Rane on Monday, Rane repaired and REFURBISHED and shipped it back Tuesday, It was back at my door by Wednesday in perfect condition.

Those days of complete security and reliability in a mixer and its company are now gone......

I had a similar experience. Damn, I'm going to miss that reliability.
The Return of Dj Sparky 10:49 AM - 6 July, 2016
If rane would have kept up with the market and released a half decent controller a few years ago instead of the mp2016 and with them draging their feet so much on the El Captain issue I'm sure profits were plummeting, if that's the case they did this to themselves
Jader 11:09 AM - 6 July, 2016
ewww, numark and denon are not my first choices when it comes to buying gear...
Rane
Sam I Am 11:15 AM - 6 July, 2016
As a Rane employee I will miss you all dearly! If you have ever called into Rane it is me you spoke with. If you have ever had your unit service under warranty or not I am the one who shipped your unit back to you. If you love our faders my hands are the ones that been assembling them for the past 5 years. We have the best customers in the world and that's why it has been so easy to provide you all with the best customer service. Peace out you guys!
nik39 11:26 AM - 6 July, 2016
That's so heartbreaking to hear/read :(

All the best to you guys!!!
pdidy 11:40 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
As a Rane employee I will miss you all dearly! If you have ever called into Rane it is me you spoke with. If you have ever had your unit service under warranty or not I am the one who shipped your unit back to you. If you love our faders my hands are the ones that been assembling them for the past 5 years. We have the best customers in the world and that's why it has been so easy to provide you all with the best customer service. Peace out you guys!

I got a big old can of m.popkey.co .....all I need is a name.....
teemac111 11:44 AM - 6 July, 2016
Thanks Sam I Am..Ive dealt with you 3 times and its always been excellent service and amazingly fast turnaround shipping my mixers back to Florida..Hopefully you can capatalize on your experience and form your own Rane service center here in the states
Rane
Sam I Am 11:51 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Thank you!
Rane
Sam I Am 11:53 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Thanks Sam I Am..Ive dealt with you 3 times and its always been excellent service and amazingly fast turnaround shipping my mixers back to Florida..Hopefully you can capatalize on your experience and form your own Rane service center here in the states

Sad to say but I have to move on and scramble for another job. I will never have a job or work @ a place like Rane for the rest of my life! Thank you for your kind words!
Rane
Sam I Am 11:58 AM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I got a big old can of m.popkey.co .....all I need is a name.....

Haha love it! 💨🍑
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:01 PM - 6 July, 2016
Eh, if you have a 56, the mixer will last longer than your DJ "career". Y'all better be worried that they will merge forums......lmao.
soul63 12:14 PM - 6 July, 2016
The el capitan issued showed how fragile a small company like rane was..i suspect in music were waiting to pounce for a while..the el capitan issue fell right for in music to make an offer..who knows if quality will suffer..in music is all about mass production..i cant see the bespoke side of rane being that attractive to them..so rane controllers could be on the horizon..which will suit serato
djkurve 12:41 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Y'all better be worried that they will merge forums......lmao.

Dear mother of God!!!
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 1:03 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Dear mother of God!!!

Lol, or the removal altogether...

Nice time to make SSL/SDJ obsolete, no?

Stay tuned....
WarpNote 1:04 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

+10000
SpontaneousMixx 3:59 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

inMusic's customer service is AWFUL. Just straight up Bad, yo. This announcement pretty much guarantees I will not be purchasing Rane equipment in the future.
DJ Remix Detroit 4:08 PM - 6 July, 2016
www.inmusicbrands.com

it's gonna be wierd seeing rane on this page....smh

seems like inmusic is buying up everything.... wonder if Serato will end up on this page as well
popnwave 4:20 PM - 6 July, 2016
It's a shame the US market had no one who could make the same grab :/ If I had money I'd love to keep something like this operating domestically.
studio17 4:24 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
BAD

Not bad meaning good but bad meaning bad
skinnyguy 4:25 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Dear mother of God!!!

Lol, or the removal altogether...

Nice time to make SSL/SDJ obsolete, no?

Stay tuned....

I can see how ssl is "obsolete" (But it kinda isn't). Why would sdj become obsolete?
popnwave 4:36 PM - 6 July, 2016
Hey wait... so in what capacity isn't InMusic not US? I mean do they just build in China? They are based out of Rhode Island, no?

Maybe we should email company HQ and tell them not to F the fans over :D
CMOS 4:38 PM - 6 July, 2016
Plastic SL3's coming soon? I havent heard good things about Denons DS1 interface yet.

This blows.
slimmjimm 5:02 PM - 6 July, 2016
In Denons defense, I'm going to say some of the problems are SDJ related. I know someone who uses the DS-1 with a computer that's not great spec wise with VDJ and has had no issues whatsoever.

I wasn't as pessimistic about the purchase when I first read about it last night, but I gotta say I don't think I feel the same this morning.
Culprit 5:12 PM - 6 July, 2016
Sam, good luck and god speed on your new venture. I will be placing an order for extra faders and parts shortly man.. Even though I dont resepct the owners decision to just bounce like that, it is their business to do what they want.. as a small business owner myself, i can understand the challenges..
Culprit 5:13 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
In Denons defense, I'm going to say some of the problems are SDJ related. I know someone who uses the DS-1 with a computer that's not great spec wise with VDJ and has had no issues whatsoever.

I wasn't as pessimistic about the purchase when I first read about it last night, but I gotta say I don't think I feel the same this morning.

Let's see what happens. Have you seen Dennon's line of mixers? Garbage..
ParisCreative 5:24 PM - 6 July, 2016
Before we put the nails in Rane's coffin let's see what happens first. Yes most likely the worst will happen. Great minds will be laid off, production will move overseas, support will slide...

But maybe it won't. Which I give about a 5% chance that it won't.

If the worse happens then the used market of Rane 62s will skyrocket in price as the last tank of battle mixers, running SSL.
Taipanic 5:51 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Before we put the nails in Rane's coffin let's see what happens first. Yes most likely the worst will happen. Great minds will be laid off, production will move overseas, support will slide...

But maybe it won't. Which I give about a 5% chance that it won't.

If the worse happens then the used market of Rane 62s will skyrocket in price as the last tank of battle mixers, running SSL.

It's already been stated that most of the DJ side staff of Rane will be let go by end of the month and that they will move production overseas. Comments from Rane staff on here have pretty much confirmed that. The office they are keeping focuses on the install side of Rane, which has probably always been more profitable than the DJ side.
Detroitbootybass 5:54 PM - 6 July, 2016
Horrible news.

And a real blow to people who favor build-quality and top-notch customer service.
teemac111 6:19 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Let's see what happens. Have you seen Dennon's line of mixers? Garbage..

Not true...not in any sense can u say Denon mixars are garbage.They are actually built better than Rane or Pioneer
DJ Remix Detroit 6:30 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Not true...not in any sense can u say Denon mixars are garbage.They are actually built better than Rane or Pioneer

giphy.com
Detroitbootybass 6:34 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Not true...not in any sense can u say Denon mixars are garbage.They are actually built better than Rane

What a ridiculous statement.
pdidy 6:37 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Not true...not in any sense can u say Denon mixars are garbage.They are actually built better than Rane

What a ridiculous statement.

yea, he go tooo excited and went tooo far......lol
CMOS 6:45 PM - 6 July, 2016
Looking at the DenonDj site there are NO mixers listed for sale. Maybe they are going to keep it where the denon brand makes the players/controllers and the Rane brand makes the mixers?
popnwave 6:46 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Looking at the DenonDj site there are NO mixers listed for sale. Maybe they are going to keep it where the denon brand makes the players/controllers and the Rane brand makes the mixers?

What was the last Denon mixer of any consequence? I mean they seem to really be in it on the controller side for DJ use.
teemac111 6:52 PM - 6 July, 2016
In terms of build quality Denon is rock solid.Ive owned quite a few and sold only because they didnt have the software built in.
Pioneer = Gauranteed rust/paint fade
Rane 62 = loose knobs and broken faders frequently
I prefer Rane Mixers but I gotta call it like I see it plain n simple.
Mr. Goodkat 6:56 PM - 6 July, 2016
how much longer does serato have before its sold?

over/under - 30 months
Culprit 7:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
www.numark.com

RANE is being obsorbed into the Numark/Dennon side

I used a Numark Mixer to a radio show, it was a toy compared to a rane. Not sure how you can defend that.

It's a 2 door car vs a Traktor Trailer in comparison dude.
Culprit 7:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
my bad, tractor trailer.
Culprit 7:01 PM - 6 July, 2016
Pioneer wont need to buy Serato DJ, pretty sure that's not going happen.
DJ Remix Detroit 7:01 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
how much longer does serato have before its sold?

over/under - 30 months

www.inmusicbrands.com

well... there are 2 more spots available on inmusic's site. we know one is designated for Rane... the other space for...???????
AKIEM 7:04 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
www.numark.com

RANE is being obsorbed into the Numark/Dennon side

I used a Numark Mixer to a radio show, it was a toy compared to a rane. Not sure how you can defend that.

It's a 2 door car vs a Traktor Trailer in comparison dude.

Numark did make good mixers..... a long time, ago.
Mr. Goodkat 7:07 PM - 6 July, 2016
seems like numark and denon controllers have been pretty decent?
AKIEM 7:14 PM - 6 July, 2016
....and the mass of savage controller dudes win again....
Mr. Goodkat 7:16 PM - 6 July, 2016
well, im saying they could realistically make rane designed mixers if they wanted too.

everything is made in china, pioneer mixers have done ok and have crappy to average customer support, i dont see why all the whining has to start before we see what happens.
AKIEM 7:19 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
well, im saying they could realistically make rane designed mixers if they wanted too.

everything is made in china, pioneer mixers have done ok and have crappy to average customer support, i dont see why all the whining has to start before we see what happens.

Because you all ready know.
DJ TeeOh 7:53 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Sam!! Noooooo!! I was just messaging Dean about this stuff. Smh. If any of you guys leave, could you all create a FB way to connect with you? i can see this whole thing going sideways.
DJMark 7:54 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Since they're firing the whole place on July 29th, any "Rane" products made by InMusic would be "Rane" in name only.

Much the same way any chimp could don an orange wig and become Donald Trump.
DJ TeeOh 7:56 PM - 6 July, 2016
"The move to buy Rane will has been motivated by the need to widen the inMusic product range in the context of a very broad offering by market giants Pioneer. "
DJ TeeOh 7:58 PM - 6 July, 2016
Got a couple calls and emails today. I have a Rane sponsorship so, naturally, I'm concerned about this.

InMusic said:
1. The majority of the 60+ workforce will be “permanently displaced” at the end of July.

2. Some engineers will remain in Seattle.

3. The DJ side of Rane will be absorbed into the Numark/Denon team at inMusic HQ. [which is in Cumberland, RI]

4. Manufacturing will be moved to inMusic’s contractors in the far east

^^with that last part, I got uneasy. Sounds like some employees being let go and the operations being outsourced. However, InMusic does also own Akai and Denon, both quality products. So I don't know what this means for the future of the brand we love.
Mr. Goodkat 8:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Some engineers will remain (from the HAL/install side) in Seattle.

ah i didnt read know about the hal side, just read about that. thought it was some sort of development team or something.
577er 8:20 PM - 6 July, 2016
Sucks.

Thank you RANE for all the great products over the years. You will be missed.
Dj-M.Bezzle 9:04 PM - 6 July, 2016
So noones asking the big question...
What happens to the contents of RANES vinyl vault?
djkurve 9:05 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

+100

RELEASE THE WHITES!
HighTopFade 9:07 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
If any of you guys leave, could you all create a FB way to connect with you?

Even better. Put your money together, buy all the remaining parts, and start a repair / refurb service.
dj_soo 11:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
If any of you guys leave, could you all create a FB way to connect with you?

Even better. Put your money together, buy all the remaining parts, and start a repair / refurb service.

I was planning on heading down to wa to get my 62 returned and now it seems I slept on it a bit. But if one of you guys were to buy out the stock and run a private tuneup/refurb company for a bit, you've definitely got my money.
dj_soo 11:00 PM - 6 July, 2016
Returned = refurbed
desmorider 11:18 PM - 6 July, 2016
Fuck this is on the same level as Michael Jackson passing away. The end of an era. Rane filled the shoes in major clubs when the old skool bozaks and urei's and shit started drying up. Very clean, warm, and good sound qualities out of the mixers, crossovers, eq's, etc. Glad I still have some old Rane stuff new in the boxes. ttm54i, ac23, me60. Gotta go dig in the closets and see what else i've hidden from myself.
desmorider 11:26 PM - 6 July, 2016
Quote:

Good luck in the future Sam. Thank you guys for all your hard work and dedication over the years. Do you guys still have alot of product in stock, or is it pretty much what dealers might have in stock at this point? I understand if you can't really speak on that.
The Return of Dj Sparky 11:30 PM - 6 July, 2016
got any merchandise that you would be willing to clear out Rane guys? like t-shirts , vinyl ect......
Dj_Roger 11:50 PM - 6 July, 2016
This is just........sad :-/ and heartbreaking news.
Wish you, Sam....and all your coworkers all the best
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:49 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

Savage.

They ain't even dig the hole yet, and you already at the reading of the will...
JaeOneMusic 12:58 AM - 7 July, 2016
All bad.

We saw what happened to Akai when they merged with Numark. Shitty ass products.
Absolutely disposable.

Get ready for horrible support/warranty work.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 4:11 AM - 7 July, 2016
Real rap, y'all ain't see this coming?

Think of the corporate makeup of Rane.

That ideology doesn't necessarily get passed down through the generations much less a corporate buyout.

Cats want to retire, and nobody has a business model (i.e. great customer service) like that anymore.

Cash that check.

Like I said, a 56s will last longer than most DJ "careers".

They'll be back in 10 years with a $10,000 mixer to sell you when it's all over.

You just have to be patient.
soul63 8:19 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
All bad.

We saw what happened to Akai when they merged with Numark. Shitty ass products.
Absolutely disposable.

Get ready for horrible support/warranty work.

dont know about that ..the amx and afx are pretty decent construction imo..not perfect but no way are they disposable
nik39 10:01 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
.the amx and afx are pretty decent construction

euh.... don't get me started...!
soul63 10:07 AM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
.the amx and afx are pretty decent construction

euh.... don't get me started...!

lo..go on then..what issues you having..mine are fine..and i had them a year with regular use..in fact i just bought another afx this week so i could have a pair without switching decks
djgrits7 3:31 PM - 7 July, 2016
sorry guys, but I think we all need to relax..... maybe i'm misunderstanding something, but as long as serato dj is intact with the rane 62 mixers, or sm9 or any brand new mixers they are bringing out in the future with inmusic, you won't have to learn a brand new software... that's what i'm most fearful about... being worried about losing customer service is a thing to worry about, but honestly, that means your gear was breaking down so tell me how good it really was... sure, I had the 57 and loved it, but I can be ok with this move as long as they don't change the software with serato dj etc... if it's just a thing where they are built; inmusic will still have to compete with native instruments so competition can be a good thing in order to protect our best interests...
Gio Alex 3:42 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
being worried about losing customer service is a thing to worry about, but honestly, that means your gear was breaking down so tell me how good it really was...

Not sure I fully follow you. The concern about customer service had to do with how great it is with Rane America (New York I believe) and being able to contact them very easily. Not entirely about things breaking, and the fear with InMusic is that the customer service would not be as intimate.

Quote:
you won't have to learn a brand new software... that's what i'm most fearful about...

Not sure I follow either. Serato and NI are the main DJ software companies aside from Pioneer's.
MPC O.G. 4:02 PM - 7 July, 2016
So the last TRUE Rane works with TSP, and NOT SSL & SDJ? There's about to be a run on 2015's. (I have all 3 DVS, so I'm good)
Gio Alex 5:08 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Like I said, a 56s will last longer than most DJ "careers".

And this is it right there. All my Rane mixers still work flawlessly.

The market calls for disposable garbage and gimmicks. Hence the influx of shitty djs as a result. "everyone can do it", and for cheap.
Taipanic 5:14 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
sorry guys, but I think we all need to relax..... maybe i'm misunderstanding something,

I think what you are not understanding is the demise of a legendary company of the audio/DJ industry. The Rane MP24 was miles ahead of anything else when it came out and raised the bar for club standard DJ mixers, along with other processing gear. US designed, US manufactured, with a small dedicated group of employees. Now most of those employees will lose their jobs, design & production will move overseas to as yet unknown quality & results, and customer service (when needed) will not be done by people who are as knowledgeable or care as much. This really has nothing to do with Serato & DJ software at this time but bigger, more important things that truly impact lives.
Picture Chevrolet being sold to Tata India, firing all the developers, engineers & workers in Detroit and moving design & production of the Corvette to India. It's that big to fans & customers of Rane.
Gio Alex 5:25 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

All of this.
Gio Alex 5:26 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
sorry guys, but I think we all need to relax..... maybe i'm misunderstanding something,

I think what you are not understanding is the demise of a legendary company of the audio/DJ industry. The Rane MP24 was miles ahead of anything else when it came out and raised the bar for club standard DJ mixers, along with other processing gear. US designed, US manufactured, with a small dedicated group of employees. Now most of those employees will lose their jobs, design & production will move overseas to as yet unknown quality & results, and customer service (when needed) will not be done by people who are as knowledgeable or care as much. This really has nothing to do with Serato & DJ software at this time but bigger, more important things that truly impact lives.
Picture Chevrolet being sold to Tata India, firing all the developers, engineers & workers in Detroit and moving design & production of the Corvette to India. It's that big to fans & customers of Rane.

I meant this.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:11 PM - 7 July, 2016
it's like the ground was ripped from beneath our feet.....
DJ Quartz 6:32 PM - 7 July, 2016
Well I'm glad I decided to go with a 62 over the S9 no matter what anyone says. I love this mixer to death since I got it.

I'm just going to be patient and see what happens.

My plan for performance is as follows.

- S9 looking to acquire in the future

To add to the arsenal

- MP2014 for disco/house/funk mixing in the studio
- 64 for 4-channel goodness, currently I was lent the secondary 68 from my residency and I like that mixer a lot as well, I would use it more if it had midi layers like the 64.
DJ Quartz 6:38 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
S9 looking to acquire in the future

Correction on this,

IF an 62mk2 is made with performance pads I will gladly get that to keep the line up all Rane.
Mr. Goodkat 6:43 PM - 7 July, 2016
the buttons on the 62 suck. the cues are ok to bad, but the flex fx buttons suckkkkkkkkkkk
Rebelguy 6:54 PM - 7 July, 2016
I was hoping to pick up a MP2015 by the end of the year. Very curious to see how their mixer lineup and pricing changes with the move to overseas. Allen and Heath had some issues when they first made the transition but I believe things are solid now.
sumoJr 7:26 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
the buttons on the 62 suck. the cues are ok to bad, but the flex fx buttons suckkkkkkkkkkk

is it to late to hope for a rane built mixer with bigger/better performance pads?
I still have my 57, as the 62/57II didnt appeal to me as a bedroom/scratch nerd the s9 did but the quality had me worried...
Gio Alex 7:28 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

is it to late to hope for a rane built mixer with bigger/better performance pads?
I still have my 57, as the 62/57II didnt appeal to me as a bedroom/scratch nerd the s9 did but the quality had me worried...

I mean, yeah, it's too late. They just dropped two rotary mixers and the past two years. Why would they make another when the 57II are 62 are still relevant? They would just lose money, and that's the problem to begin with.
dj_soo 7:30 PM - 7 July, 2016
2nded on the 62 buttons not being great. Believe the 57mk2 buttons were much better
dj_soo 7:30 PM - 7 July, 2016
Maybe it's time for a 62 mod community?
djgrits7 7:43 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
being worried about losing customer service is a thing to worry about, but honestly, that means your gear was breaking down so tell me how good it really was...

Not sure I fully follow you. The concern about customer service had to do with how great it is with Rane America (New York I believe) and being able to contact them very easily. Not entirely about things breaking, and the fear with InMusic is that the customer service would not be as intimate.

Quote:
you won't have to learn a brand new software... that's what i'm most fearful about...

ok, yes, I agree with being able to call in, that will def suck and totally agree with you there!

second, i'm just worried they will discontinue the serato dj software and make you get something like rekordbox where now you have to relearn a totally new system... please no

Not sure I follow either. Serato and NI are the main DJ software companies aside from Pioneer's.
Gio Alex 7:49 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
second, i'm just worried they will discontinue the serato dj software and make you get something like rekordbox where now you have to relearn a totally new system... please no

SDJ support can be licensed to pretty much any dj company given the proper specs. That was the point of sdj to begin with. That there was no long this proprietary software (SSL) that can only be link with the hardware (Rane). This is why there is a Denon box that runs serato, but specifically Serato DJ.
DJMark 8:00 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

Someone should absolutely determine the specs on all the rotary pots, and figure out a way to replace them with higher-quality parts.

Having had 62's installed in several places for a few years, the rotary pots have emerged as the weak point of that design. The buttons (in their latest revision) seem pretty solid now.
DJMark 8:04 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:

Have you had your unit in for service? I had a lot of button issues with the initial run, but on the latest revision I've seen no issues at all.

If you have even one bad button, they replace them all with the revised versions.

Better get an RMA right now, the clock is ticking.
Taipanic 8:22 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Well I'm glad I decided to go with a 62 over the S9 no matter what anyone says. I love this mixer to death since I got it.

I'm just going to be patient and see what happens.

My plan for performance is as follows.

- S9 looking to acquire in the future

To add to the arsenal

- MP2014 for disco/house/funk mixing in the studio
- 64 for 4-channel goodness, currently I was lent the secondary 68 from my residency and I like that mixer a lot as well, I would use it more if it had midi layers like the 64.

Highly recommend the MP2015 over the MP2014. Serato & DVS capable, submix, FX in & out - absolutely the best mixer they ever made, even by their own accounts. Loving mine for sure, especially playing real vinyl.
Mr. Goodkat 8:54 PM - 7 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Have you had your unit in for service? I had a lot of button issues with the initial run, but on the latest revision I've seen no issues at all.

If you have even one bad button, they replace them all with the revised versions.

Better get an RMA right now, the clock is ticking.

they work, and its a 2014 manufacturing date, its just the small size and need to really focus on pressing the buttons down(aka its easy to not press the button by accident not by effort)
DJ_X_Trodinaire 9:47 PM - 7 July, 2016
For Sale: 62, 64, 57mkii and MP2015 Barely used Quartz? lol
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 10:21 PM - 7 July, 2016
Better stock up on fader knobs...
DJ TeeOh 5:28 AM - 8 July, 2016
A refurb shop would be DOPE!!
dj_soo 6:51 AM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Someone should absolutely determine the specs on all the rotary pots, and figure out a way to replace them with higher-quality parts.

Having had 62's installed in several places for a few years, the rotary pots have emerged as the weak point of that design. The buttons (in their latest revision) seem pretty solid now.

yea, going the plastic route instead of the pretty much bulletproof pots from the old 57 was a mistake although it was likely a cost-cutting measure.
sumoJr 1:04 PM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:
For Sale: 62, 64, 57mkii and MP2015 Barely used Quartz? lol

Im a city away from him..haha I ll get something for the right price
WarpNote 4:02 PM - 8 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Quoted for truth! And I wouldn't mind a rubber RGB pad style mod either, if it could be implemented in a good way. Probably not enough space on the mixer though.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:38 PM - 8 July, 2016
The bad...

60 families out of work.
Loss of best in class customer service
Loss of USA made mixers
Loss of readily available spare parts
Loss of Rane service center
Loss of RaneDJ program

The good...
We will probably see that Rane controller finally.
Updated 62 with S9 style pads
Lower prices

personally..I'd rather go back to using a 56 and SL1 than see those good people loose their jobs.
DJ Dub Cowboy 6:39 PM - 8 July, 2016
hell, I'd do a lot more than that...
AKIEM 6:42 PM - 8 July, 2016
^yup.
AKIEM 6:46 PM - 8 July, 2016
I'm actually pleased with my AKIA Renaissance. Very good quality, has that MPCness. The software has some issues but they are updating and fixing bugs....

Maybe some of the Rane rugged goodness will live on.
roy rohypnol 9:18 PM - 8 July, 2016
Heartbroken :(
MPC O.G. 11:55 AM - 9 July, 2016
I wish NI would have bought Rane.........
ParisCreative 11:59 AM - 9 July, 2016
That would have been extraordinarily bad. That means they would have likely locked out any compatibility with Serato. And Trakor is good for live producers, but kinda bites for the two turntables and a mixer crowd.
DJ Irv 12:38 PM - 9 July, 2016
Quote:

NI is not making there equipment locally in Germany but rather China so I am not sure the outcome for Rane employees or Rane customer service would be much different. NI's customer service kinda sucks and Rane's is pretty awesome.

Maybe the current Rane employees can open a repair shop for Rane, Pioneer, NI, Dennon, etc. They can work with the different manufacturers to do warranty repairs for them. If you ever dealt with some of those companies you know getting your mixer fixed is a long painful process.
DJ Quartz 6:48 PM - 9 July, 2016
Yeah it sucks with the loss of jobs. If InMusic was going to absorb the staff that would have been a way better situation.

All that experience will be lost now.
Taipanic 8:52 PM - 9 July, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Maybe the current Rane employees can open a repair shop for Rane, Pioneer, NI, Dennon, etc. They can work with the different manufacturers to do warranty repairs for them. If you ever dealt with some of those companies you know getting your mixer fixed is a long painful process.

Pretty hard to do for what were probably mostly hourly employees that had little or notice that their livelihood was being eliminated. With no rights or access to proprietary parts this would take a lot of time/money/effort to make happen. It could happen, but a long shot I think, don't even know if could be profitable, to be honest.
Mighty Dragon Sounds 11:09 PM - 9 July, 2016
So sad.....

Over the past years I have owned.....

Rane 56s
Rane TTM57
Rane 61
Rane 62
Rane 57MK2

Customer service of course is top notch. When I needed parts I could easily call and parts would be sent.....

I called Pioneer the other day for parts for my PLX1000.... I needed a new tonearm assembly to replace the one that is bent. I also need a new power button...... Guess what??? I costed about as much as it would be to just buy a whole new PLX 1000.
DJ Irv 12:04 AM - 10 July, 2016
Quote:
I called Pioneer the other day for parts for my PLX1000.... I needed a new tonearm assembly to replace the one that is bent. I also need a new power button...... Guess what??? I costed about as much as it would be to just buy a whole new PLX 1000.

I have a pair of PLX's. No surprise there. I don't think they want people fixing them. They look disposable. Just the fact the pitch slider is soldered on the main board tells me they rather you throw them away and buy a new one.
DJ Quartz 2:46 PM - 10 July, 2016
Quote:
have a pair of PLX's. No surprise there. I don't think they want people fixing them. They look disposable. Just the fact the pitch slider is soldered on the main board tells me they rather you throw them away and buy a new one.

All super-oem decks are like this. However, Pioneer is gouging. I've had to get parts for my ST-150's and the pricing is very decent.

If they didn't change the finish on the PLX arm I would say just order a Stanton tonearm.
Culprit 8:26 PM - 10 July, 2016
I'm just assuming that the manufacturing is done I'n China. Have you guys gotten quotes for in house repair?
Joshua Carl 4:11 AM - 11 July, 2016
Sad sad.
Personally I'd rather see the brand get a knights funeral and be left at that.

Sent off with respect, history and admiration.
What I don't want is Rane to become another VESTAX fiasco.
Hero to zero.

I bought an 05proiii new for $80
And it's a total joke.

For many of us, Rane was extended family.
There's no other company that has been by my side for almost 20 years.
Sure, I've had techs for 20 years.
But I didn't see them a few times a year at shows
Talk to them on the phone, countless back and forth emails...
Every single problem I ever had you got that feeling that they genuinely wanted to set you up for sucess.

And they have always been "down for the cause"
I fee with other companies many seem like their thinking "what kind of gimmick can we bring to the table to move units"
RANE it always felt like what do DJS need and want right now to put on the best show they can.
The 24
The 54i
The Empath
The 57
The 62
These weren't just great mixers for RANE.
These were all ground breaking mixers for the planet.

Sad sad indeed.
djgrits7 1:35 PM - 11 July, 2016
I will say the customer service was always top notch, you could get INSTANEOUS HELP... I always worried about that if I switched to traktor...
ozfrombk 1:59 PM - 11 July, 2016
Yeah, it's devastating news for us all that appreciate top notch customer service. I remember when one of my pots went out--I must of had my mixer back within a week! I have a 56s and that thing has been through so many gigs and it's still standing the test of time.

I was thinking about upgrading to the 62 but I am now rethinking that because I'm afraid of what the customer service will be like. When you bought into Rane, you bought into a family that held down its community.
monkeyfunk 8:31 PM - 11 July, 2016
Much love to the Rane family, forever will be recognised and revered as a peerless brand.

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest to see a Rane mixer in the Smithsonian. Oh look.

americanhistory.si.edu

Tough for us, far tougher for the employees who depend on the work.
DJ Jonasty 8:49 PM - 11 July, 2016
In no way is this a good thing. Made in the USA to China. US job losses and an end of an era. Good thing my Rane 62 will last forever and i wont need to buy a new one.
XclusiveCity 10:46 AM - 12 July, 2016
#RaneLivesMatter ✊🏽
XclusiveCity 10:51 AM - 12 July, 2016
#RaneMixersMatter ✊🏽
HighTopFade 10:14 PM - 10 August, 2016
Curious to see how this works out. I notice there are no mixers listed on Denon DJ's website. Just read on another thread Rane service is pretty much done.
djnak 3:09 AM - 11 August, 2016
well, seeing as I have my 57 in the local shop, waiting on a new headphone fader...and by waiting I mean...the parts are on a truck somewhere in the middle of the country and no real eta on when they are going to arrive and be unpacked... I would say It is off to a AMAZING start...
Culprit 4:23 AM - 11 August, 2016
Culprit 4:27 AM - 11 August, 2016
denondj.com

Looks like Denon killed their entire mixer line. Stuff is still on ebay and amazon

www.amazon.com
Alcane 11:13 PM - 16 August, 2016
This is terrible news. Once you stop crafting each mixer by hand and manufacture is sent to mass production they'll be economies made/corners cut. Sad that the owners abandoned their superb product in favour of selling out and wiping their hands of the business.

I've had my original TTM-56 for years and still works great. Upon hearing the news of the company being sold I went out and bought myself a new TTM-56S, to future proof my setup and take the load off my ageing original.

I also intend to buy as many spare parts possible to ensure I can repair my mixers myself in the coming years. Not sure what territory the brand will be moving to now they've been sold but I hope it doesn't detract too much from the name they've build for themselves to this point...
DJ Irv 11:26 PM - 16 August, 2016
Quote:
hope it doesn't detract too much from the name they've build for themselves to this point

That name was built on legendary support, build quality and products Made in the USA.
DJ Remy USA 12:37 AM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
denondj.com

Looks like Denon killed their entire mixer line. Stuff is still on ebay and amazon

www.amazon.com

wow amazing no one even noticed
ParisCreative 1:13 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
denondj.com

www.amazon.com

wow amazing no one even noticed

Yeah it seems that Denon is focusing on controllers for the moment. I am curious if they ever refresh the SC3900 or come out with a Serato-ready mixer. I will say why I am not a fan of the MCX8000 because I am not much of a controller person, it *seems* to be of very good quality so maybe there is still a modicum of hope that Rane will still have their stuff together post-sale.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 2:27 PM - 17 August, 2016
Quote:
This is terrible news. Once you stop crafting each mixer by hand and manufacture is sent to mass production they'll be economies made/corners cut. Sad that the owners abandoned their superb product in favour of selling out and wiping their hands of the business.

I've had my original TTM-56 for years and still works great. Upon hearing the news of the company being sold I went out and bought myself a new TTM-56S, to future proof my setup and take the load off my ageing original.

I also intend to buy as many spare parts possible to ensure I can repair my mixers myself in the coming years. Not sure what territory the brand will be moving to now they've been sold but I hope it doesn't detract too much from the name they've build for themselves to this point...

+1 for buying the 56s.

Cats don't understand how reliable that mixer is.
AddamXavier 12:01 AM - 18 August, 2016
i finally got a 56 like a year ago and picked up a second one the end of July. love those things. hope to get a 57 and a 56s at some point, but people aren't craigslisting them near me
b_kingsley 8:11 PM - 22 August, 2016
I cant speak down on the Rane founders for wanting to retire and enjoy their success... They had a great run.

However, I must say that InMusic aka InMuzak aka NuAkai is a complete S-show of a company. As a producer first and foremost I came to know this company after it acquired Akai. That company was much like Rane with a small staff, great service and a long history of making top quality yet affordable products that transformed their respective markets. Akai went from being iconic and universally respected to a laughing stock of a company after InMusic took over. Akai used to be real pro-audio and is now a shell of its former self. THE ABSOLUTE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE, PRODUCT SUPPORT, RUSHING UNFINISHED PRODUCTS TO MARKET WITH INFERIOR COMPONENTS AND THEN ABANDONING ALL UPDATES AND SUPPORT FOR THOSE SAME PRODUCTS WITHIN MONTHS (NOT TO MENTION GOING TO LENGTHS TO HIDE THEIR CHEAP CONSUMER COMPONENTS AND SPECS) take a look at forums for the legendary Akai sampler/drum machine, go look at YouTube for NAMM and MuzikMesse product rollout fails and if you care about the future of Rane, if you realize how much better they sound, how good their preamps are, the build quality and support, SPEAK UP NOW and tell InMusic to beef up their skeleton crew and put the same level of love and care into their products as Rane has always done. If not, RIP Rane. I just found out about this and its truly a sad day. Also expect second-hand Rane stuff to skyrocket in price over the next couple years as a result of this... PEACE!
Alcane 8:16 PM - 22 August, 2016
@ b_kingsley: I've done this very thing.

Messaged InMusic today to inquire about support for existing Rane products and a worry that existing users will be forgotten.

I rely on my Rane mixer and Serato system for performing every weekend as a working DJ. Hopefully they'll get back to me! (not holding my breath though...)
AKIEM 8:21 PM - 22 August, 2016
I like my MPC Renaissance. The software has some issues, but the updates have been good.
b_kingsley 8:56 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
I like my MPC Renaissance. The software has some issues, but the updates have been good.

Yeah you said before. Werent you on the OTHER forum? Name sounds familiar..

I bought it too when it came out... Stuck with it for a year, wasnt willing to wait longer than that for basic software that didn't crash, could export reliable stems, worked with Yosemite, could deal with audio/VSTs/AudioUnits, worked in Logic, ProTools. Like many, I sold it at half the retail price... bought a used 4000 that came out in 2001 I believe-- its the centerpiece of my studio. The last great MPC.

Look I love Akai stuff... It changed the game going back to the mid-80s s900 and mpc60.. But since they ditched Roger Linn and got swooped by InMusic, since they began putting profit margins over quality, they have fallen off BIG time.

If you are listening InMusic, and I know you are, Rane is Sound quality, build quality, and along with Allen and Heath and Ecler, still commited to VINYL. Stick with NuMark for controllers and put the time and money into keeping Rane PROFESSIONAL and free from gimmicks and hype. Hire the best people and pay them the salary it takes to make the brand better for the consumer!! THE MUSIC DEPENDS ON IT!
HighTopFade 9:18 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:
Hire the best people and pay them the salary it takes to make the brand better for the consumer!! THE MUSIC DEPENDS ON IT!

I'm hopeful inMusic was able to keep some Rane employees.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 11:00 PM - 22 August, 2016
Wait, what? I need some spare parts for my 56s...
Alcane 11:46 PM - 22 August, 2016
Quote:

Can't find them anywhere, apart from one eBay seller. They are selling them for $10.50 each, plus $20 shipping!!

I've bought plenty of EQ knobs to last me hopefully. I wonder if InMusic will be making spares to the same high standard?
Detroitbootybass 12:01 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
I'm hopeful inMusic was able to keep some Rane employees.

None from the DJ side of the business. I heard a couple of engineers (software engineers?) from the HAL/ commercial install (churches, warehouses, call centers, offices, etc.) were retained... for the short terms at least.
AKIEM 12:21 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah you said before. Werent you on the OTHER forum? Name sounds familiar..

Yup, I asking if/suggesting they offer visual representations of the architecture like the old manuals... Helped me out lots.

Quote:

I bought it too when it came out... Stuck with it for a year, wasnt willing to wait longer than that for basic software that didn't crash, could export reliable stems, worked with Yosemite, could deal with audio/VSTs/AudioUnits, worked in Logic, ProTools. Like many, I sold it at half the retail price... bought a used 4000 that came out in 2001 I believe-- its the centerpiece of my studio. The last great MPC.

Been away from MPCs for some years and came back recently. I can't say ibe had a crash recently. Yet I do remember crashes, and freezing on the 2000xl.

Quote:

Look I love Akai stuff... It changed the game going back to the mid-80s s900 and mpc60.. But since they ditched Roger Linn and got swooped by InMusic, since they began putting profit margins over quality, they have fallen off BIG time.

If you are listening InMusic, and I know you are, Rane is Sound quality, build quality, and along with Allen and Heath and Ecler, still commited to VINYL. Stick with NuMark for controllers and put the time and money into keeping Rane PROFESSIONAL and free from gimmicks and hype. Hire the best people and pay them the salary it takes to make the brand better for the consumer!! THE MUSIC DEPENDS ON IT!

Im willing to give them a chance, see how they do... Not expecting it to be there same... Maybe there will even be some good, out of it.... (but still "sad")

But look at serato for example... They didn't get bought out by anyone...... sigh

You never know where a company is headed... sigh
goldarn 12:26 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

Can't find them anywhere, apart from one eBay seller. They are selling them for $10.50 each, plus $20 shipping!!

I've bought plenty of EQ knobs to last me hopefully. I wonder if InMusic will be making spares to the same high standard?

You found your fader knobs here - www.ebay.com - Official Rane ones too. 1 for $5 + 2.50 shipping OR 7 for $25 and free shipping. Get em now!
Culprit 12:26 AM - 23 August, 2016
Let's keep it positive and hope the Owners of Serato keep up the good fight man.

I kinda want Allen & Heath and Serato to come up with a bad ass 4 channel mixer of some sort.
goldarn 12:27 AM - 23 August, 2016
"you can find"...... not "You found". sheesh at me
Rebelguy 12:29 AM - 23 August, 2016
Allen & Heath released the DB4 which is a pretty bad ass 4 channel mixer and works with Serato DJ.
ParisCreative 12:36 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Allen & Heath released the DB4 which is a pretty bad ass 4 channel mixer and works with Serato DJ.

And it's hella ugly. I mean talk about a convoluted layout. While the Rane 62 is utilitarian it does make some logical sense. The DB2 is at least a little nicer looking but only by a bit.
AKIEM 12:43 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Let's keep it positive and hope the Owners of Serato keep up the good fight man.

I kinda want Allen & Heath and Serato to come up with a bad ass 4 channel mixer of some sort.

Sorry but I quit being that positive about serato a long time ago..... x'd The Bridge and gave us Pyro and Pulse locker.... smh...

yay for subsmart crates! 😒
Alcane 12:44 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
You found your fader knobs here - www.ebay.com - Official Rane ones too. 1 for $5 + 2.50 shipping OR 7 for $25 and free shipping. Get em now!

Unfortunately they are the fader caps for the Flex FX and Cue select, not the Magnetic Faders (which have a slightly wider stem).

I've already bought some EQ knobs off this seller, an ex-Rane employee apparently.

Thanks for the heads up anway! :)
Alcane 12:50 AM - 23 August, 2016
This is the scalper I was talking about...

www.ebay.com

Still can't get over this seller charging $20 shipping on a fader cap! :(
goldarn 12:57 AM - 23 August, 2016
^^^ good lord have mercy.
Rebelguy 1:31 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

And it's hella ugly. I mean talk about a convoluted layout. While the Rane 62 is utilitarian it does make some logical sense. The DB2 is at least a little nicer looking but only by a bit.

It's actually on my want list. It sounds awesome. My only complaint with the layout is that the FX activation buttons are on the left and right of the crossfader. It's definitely not made for turntablists.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:41 AM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

***dead*** @ 20.00 shipping.....wtf..
popnwave 3:06 PM - 23 August, 2016
Yo one of you folks who love the brand better grab some and invest in a 3D scanner and printer.
DJ Quartz 3:20 PM - 23 August, 2016
Going to keep my eye out for a 56. Always wanted to get another to have in the arsenal.
Dj-M.Bezzle 3:47 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Yo one of you folks who love the brand better grab some and invest in a 3D scanner and printer.

I was already thinking this lol
DJ Remy USA 8:24 PM - 23 August, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

I was already thinking this lol

you can technically print anything too
The Real Dj Danger 4:02 AM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Plastic SL3's coming soon? I havent heard good things about Denons DS1 interface yet.

This blows.

I've been using the Ds1 since the very day it was released. Not one SINGLE glitch . never has let me down, maybe I just got lucky though. I know I have read about people having trouble .
Culprit 9:36 PM - 2 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:

This blows.

I've been using the Ds1 since the very day it was released. Not one SINGLE glitch . never has let me down, maybe I just got lucky though. I know I have read about people having trouble .

to be honest I have not seen tons of complaints about this unit, the 57MKII is another story!
dj_soo 2:49 AM - 3 November, 2016
I hit them up last month for some replacement parts for my 62 and I really can't complain.

East Coast office hours are annoying, but they were efficient enough and my parts arrived within days at a relatively affordable price (miss the days of free parts from rane though). I got 3 fader carriers and they were $17 apiece + $30 for expedited shipping. They initially asked me about warranty as well which leads me to believe they are still honouring warranties.

Product knowledge from the initial tech wasn't great as he didn't know the 62 uses magnetic faders for all the faders, but the parts guy was quick and processed my order within minutes and received my order within 4 days - and this was international shipping.

Can't say how they would be if you had to send them your gear to fix, but no complaints so far.
goldarn 7:08 AM - 3 November, 2016
I've heard of a potential shortage in new units. I'm not really out there shopping, so, has anyone had a hard time tracking down a new mixer lately?

I know some websites list them, but if you put the item in your cart, it will say out of stock. At least that is the case with spare knobs online.
4mydawgz 12:54 AM - 4 November, 2016
www.inmusicbrands.com

sounds like a rich guy buying up a bunch of companies with no clear sense of direction.
Mr. Goodkat 3:22 AM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
www.inmusicbrands.com

sounds like a rich guy buying up a bunch of companies with no clear sense of direction.

seems pretty clear, dj and electronic music production equipment
Taipanic 2:48 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
www.inmusicbrands.com

seems pretty clear, dj and electronic music production equipment

At many different price points/quality levels. The question will be whether there is still passion at the individual brands and leeway to produce the products that passion warrants. In Rane's case, they pretty much eliminated the whole DJ side of the house, so there's one answer. It might still be good, but it will be different, for sure. All new visionaries, designers, engineers, manufacturing, etc... just paid for the name to get a head start on business. If they maintain quality, they will go on, if not, it will be another name that will just disappear at some point.
Culprit 4:34 PM - 4 November, 2016
Actually they kept the engineering team. The same guy who made the original 57 and 62 and most the mixer line is still with them.
Gio Alex 4:36 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Actually they kept the engineering team. The same guy who made the original 57 and 62 and most the mixer line is still with them.

yeah but gonna be made in china though.
Mr. Goodkat 6:37 PM - 4 November, 2016
everything is made in china, it just depends on if its a good manufacturer or bad manufacturer
Gio Alex 7:28 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
everything is made in china, it just depends on if its a good manufacturer or bad manufacturer

Everything except for the now discontinued Rane mixers. Also, not necessarily everything, but most for sure. You are defintely correct about good manufacturer vs bad manufacturer, makes a huge difference.
Culprit 8:30 PM - 4 November, 2016
Mr. Goodkat 8:54 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
djworx.com

''Just as a side note on Rane US quality manufacturing.......I have a Rane Sixty Eight sitting in its box on a shelf in my garage because It had been returned for service 3 times during the warranty period for the EXACT same issues with he hot cue buttons. Now that it is out of warranty I was quoted by Rane that it would cost me over $400 to repair it. Same issue 3 times over and over.''

thought this comment(in first comment) was interesting because we have all seen rane products have problems or have something like cue buttons breaking or faders break etc. honestly, after owning rane mixers 56/57, then owning a 800 and 900/S9, then switching back to a 62, i like rane mixers sound better. BUT i never had a problem with any of my pioneer mixers breaking or problems with buttons or knobs or cross faders. I know pioneer mixers arent made in china(malaysia i think) but they arent u.s. made.

basically just because something is u.s. made doesnt make it automatically better.
Culprit 9:19 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
djworx.com

''Just as a side note on Rane US quality manufacturing.......I have a Rane Sixty Eight sitting in its box on a shelf in my garage because It had been returned for service 3 times during the warranty period for the EXACT same issues with he hot cue buttons. Now that it is out of warranty I was quoted by Rane that it would cost me over $400 to repair it. Same issue 3 times over and over.''

thought this comment(in first comment) was interesting because we have all seen rane products have problems or have something like cue buttons breaking or faders break etc. honestly, after owning rane mixers 56/57, then owning a 800 and 900/S9, then switching back to a 62, i like rane mixers sound better. BUT i never had a problem with any of my pioneer mixers breaking or problems with buttons or knobs or cross faders. I know pioneer mixers arent made in china(malaysia i think) but they arent u.s. made.

basically just because something is u.s. made doesnt make it automatically better.

I actually agree with you. My pioneer units have been pretty solid. My Rane's have also been equally solid as well. I own a 57, SL1, sold my 62 to get my S9 and I have an SX2. I had an issue with the SX2, but it was a cosmetic issue and they fixed it promptly.
Gio Alex 9:30 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:

Yes, but that's such a broad approach and/or comment though. It doesn't automatically make it "better", but let's not deny that Rane products, especially the NON digital ones are pretty solid. My empath is a tank. Every part on it is quality, and I think a lot of care was put into it just based on where it's made. Usually when you go china, doesn't mean it'll be a cheap or bad product, but it does mean the company is trying to cut on cost, and half the time will result in less care for quality and details. Not saying that's the case with Pio, I'm just generally speaking.

Most pioneer mixers are solid (at least the ones i own 707 and 909), but the markup on the 4 channel ones are so ridiculous. Also the button issues with Rane are very specific to a design/material choice. Has nothing to do with where the mixer was manufactured. I hated the arcade hard plastic buttons too on the 68, but it was the first time they introduced buttons on a mixer of theirs other than what was on the 57.
Detroitbootybass 10:06 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Actually they kept the engineering team.

Not true.

Rick Jeffs is now employed by InMusic. He was only one member of the engineering/product design team.
CMOS 11:34 PM - 4 November, 2016
China makes some dope shit, the question is will the company pay for the dope shit, or go cheapy cheapy on parts wherever they can.
nik39 11:46 PM - 4 November, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
Actually they kept the engineering team.

Not true.

Rick Jeffs is now employed by InMusic. He was only one member of the engineering/product design team.

Yeah.. what about Steve Macatee?
Detroitbootybass 4:48 PM - 5 November, 2016
Quote:
what about Steve Macatee?

I initially heard he could potentially be one of the two people retained by InMusic, but have never received confirmation of that. As far as anyone knows, only one former Rane employee (out of roughly 80) didn't lose their job - Rick Jeffs.
goldarn 7:35 PM - 5 November, 2016
Steve is not with the company anymore. That dude was brilliant in both life and music. I'm sure he's moved on to much better things. He is also an instructor for Syn-Aud-Con programs. I took those courses, awesome for audio education.
Detroitbootybass 11:58 PM - 5 November, 2016
Thanks for the confirmation, goldarn.

:)
Serato, Forum Moderator
Michael R 9:31 PM - 6 November, 2016
Quote:

As well as Rick from engineering there is Roy and Colin as well (these are the team I've worked with for a long time :).
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 7:46 AM - 19 May, 2017
I know this is older news but if you think inMusic will continue the vision & quality that was Rane then check out how many people who work for them say it's a terrible company.

www.glassdoor.com

Rane is gone forever. If I was anyone else find a new brand & never purchase a Rane product again. Considering they've f***ed Rane owners who just bought them and even under warranty they're not supporting it. Parts gone.
Brian M 1:00 PM - 19 May, 2017
Buy the brand, kill the brand, empire expanded.
ParisCreative 1:11 PM - 19 May, 2017
It's sad because there really is no equivalent on the market. The S9 is rife with build quality issues and does not sound as warm as the 62. Mixars does not have on board effects. Reloop may have something interesting with the RMX-90 but untested really.

sigh.
Brian M 1:16 PM - 19 May, 2017
July 6, 2016 was the date of the press release about the sale to inMusic.

Crickets...................................
Brian M 1:18 PM - 19 May, 2017
Excuse me, July 5, 2016
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 2:59 PM - 19 May, 2017
Quote:
seems like numark and denon controllers have been pretty decent?

People want RANE MIXERS not controllers. How many controllers have you seen at Threestyle or DMC?

I've yet to see anyone use a controller at these competitions & most use Rane or Pioneer. Rane people want DJ MIXERS not plastic garbage.
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 3:01 PM - 19 May, 2017
If deejays have used a plastic controllers I've not seen it and dismantle definitely didn't win the competition. Rane made the best dj mixers period. Others were great as well, but Rane was by far the best.
ParisCreative 3:05 PM - 19 May, 2017
In the defense of Numark, the NS7/ii/iii are metal construction and very solid. It's still a controller, but by far the most true to form of emulating vinyl in a controller build.

Still it's not quite the same.
blackavenger 1:40 PM - 20 May, 2017
Quote:
Rane people want DJ MIXERS not plastic garbage.

Oh, the irony.

The 62 had plastic pot posts, FFS!
GREAT faders, but the rest of the mixer is 'meh, IMO!
Mr. Goodkat 1:19 AM - 21 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:
Rane people want DJ MIXERS not plastic garbage.

Oh, the irony.

The 62 had plastic pot posts, FFS!
GREAT faders, but the rest of the mixer is 'meh, IMO!

yep and the plastic fader carriers that ppl are making metal versions of now
DJ Remy USA 9:14 AM - 21 May, 2017
Rane is gone guys deal with it lol.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 3:47 PM - 21 May, 2017
Wow, Trump in office, Rane is gone...Can't even find a new SL3 anywhere....
Jason (Dj K-oZ) 9:49 PM - 21 May, 2017
Nope not gonna deal with it. It's really really shitty. I'm hoping inMusic will do the right thing and keep it quality while implementing the technology they now own. I'm not holding my breath though.

For me I literally went to finally purchase the Rane 62 & found this out.
ParisCreative 9:51 PM - 21 May, 2017
Given that most Rane employees are gone it would be a miracle that quality remained. That is even if they will sell a newly manufactured product. May never get a new Rane again.
Culprit 7:12 AM - 22 May, 2017
Quote:
Given that most Rane employees are gone it would be a miracle that quality remained. That is even if they will sell a newly manufactured product. May never get a new Rane again.

Was a great run. The fact that vestax and rane are gone really makes me feel bad about the direction it's going.
DJ Remy USA 10:55 PM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:

its probably over and anything new is going to be junk guaranteed
DJ Remy USA 10:56 PM - 23 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

Was a great run. The fact that vestax and rane are gone really makes me feel bad about the direction it's going.

DJ tech resurrected something that was already dead we are actually lucky to be living in times where there is real chance to live off this stuff
AddamXavier 12:47 AM - 24 May, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

The funny enough is you just made me realize my setup is almost fully "vintage" at this point. I use Vestax turntables, a Rane 56, and SL3.
dj_soo 3:17 AM - 24 May, 2017
Just about everything I use is discontinued.

Technics, Rane 62, Denon SC3900s, VCI 380.

Only things I use that are still in production are my m44-7s, my HD25s, and my SP1
Culprit 5:35 AM - 24 May, 2017
Crazy man.. let's hope Serato does not sell to someone big, like Pioneer or inMusic. Kinda feeling like the last of the Mohicans!
DJ Remy USA 1:00 AM - 31 May, 2017
In the voice of Kid Capri

rekidbox

lol
Will08272 2:28 AM - 31 May, 2017
Quote:

rekidbox

lol

Speaking of which, has anyone used RB recently after alot more time in the wild how is it holding up.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:05 PM - 31 May, 2017
Quote:
Just about everything I use is discontinued.

Wow, yup.

Technics, 56s, and SL3....Smh.
DJJOHNNYM_vSL3 12:05 PM - 31 May, 2017
Oh, and WinXP and Scratchlive 1.9.1 FTW....
DJ Remy USA 5:01 PM - 5 June, 2017
Quote:
Quote:

rekidbox

lol

Speaking of which, has anyone used RB recently after alot more time in the wild how is it holding up.

It's not terrible to be honest. I haven't used it for DVS yet
DJ Guayo 8:40 PM - 5 June, 2017
Quote:
Oh, and WinXP and Scratchlive 1.9.1 FTW....

Johnny always has to get this mention in. lulz.