DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

What are the new features?

diego vega 11:22 PM - 30 May, 2006
I checked the download info page for 1.6.1 but I can't see new features besides bug fixes, so what's new for the regular SL1 users?
dj shadow from detroit 11:36 PM - 30 May, 2006
it does not seem like any right now.but as long as it is more reliable then 1.5 im good!
im thinking as this beta thing goes on and me and you comment what we feel should be added there will be more added through this beta testing period.
nobspangle 7:17 AM - 31 May, 2006
Quote:
- Adjust loops with vinyl option in setup screen
If you turn this off, vinyl stays controlling playback: you can only adjust the loops with the keys

- Center on selected song option
With this option on, scrolling up and down in your library holds the selected track in the middle of the library panel.

- Optimizations for scrolling through library giving better performance when scrolling.
lesterdiamond 1:14 AM - 1 June, 2006
wow, better scrolling
dj huski 2:34 AM - 1 June, 2006
so no effects for SL1 users?
nobspangle 7:30 AM - 1 June, 2006
Quote:

The TTM 57SL effects are built in to the mixer, they are not really part of the SSL software. It is unlikely that Serato will ever put effects into the SSL software, with the exception of eqs and filters, as they would all be pre-fader.
dj dawn 9:44 AM - 1 June, 2006
Quote:

Read the release notes on top of this forum area! I use SL1 and I just love the new optional scrolling!
Dj Chris "Doc" Roberts 7:30 PM - 3 June, 2006
I was really hoping for a Master Tempo feature with this release, that is the one biggest shortcomming of the SSL1 product. Oh well, these small changes certain are warrented.
Menace 10:39 AM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
wow, better scrolling

It`s a good feature but there were more important feature suggestions here: www.scratchlive.net .

I hope we`ll see some of it in the final 1.6 version. Otherwise I don`t understand what the discussion was for.

BTW, after installing 1.6 Beta 1 and going back to version 1.5, rebuilding overviews of all the songs is necessary if no back up of the ScratchLIVE folder was made before. - So Mac users: backup the that folder before you try out 1.6 Beta 1.
eder 7:51 PM - 5 June, 2006
Quote:
I was really hoping for a Master Tempo feature with this release, that is the one biggest shortcomming of the SSL1 product. Oh well, these small changes certain are warrented.

master tempo's gonna be a paid firmware upgrade...not a software release...
DjBlaze 9:35 AM - 18 June, 2006
Any idea of a price on that firmware upgrade? I hate to use Master Tempo but sometimes it is a necessary evil. Don't try and mix tracks too far apart is the easiest way to avoid it. Maybe once or twice a night will I wish I had that option. Not a huge deal but should be there. Maybe on the fly recording and scratch/playback would be the coolest thing. I 'd love to be able to instantly back-cue my microphone input and cut it up right then without having to save it first. Anyways....

DJBLAZE.com
nik39 12:18 PM - 18 June, 2006
Someone from serato said its going to be less than 50$.
Trat 12:25 PM - 18 June, 2006
What's the deal with that Master Tempo feature? I don't get it :-7
nobspangle 1:35 PM - 18 June, 2006
Quote:
Maybe on the fly recording and scratch/playback would be the coolest thing. I 'd love to be able to instantly back-cue my microphone input and cut it up right then without having to save it first. Anyways....

If I understand your suggestion, you can do this already.

ctrl+N to start recording
say your piece
ctrl+N to stop recording
shift+left or shift+right to load the recording,

no need to enter a filename or save

This is all in the tooltips.

Quote:
What's the deal with that Master Tempo feature? I don't get it :-7
Master tempo is a feature on Pioneer CDJs that allows you to adjust the speed/tempo without changing the pitch. It as several limitations,
1. It sounds crap, especially at large tempo changes
2. You can only change the tempo, not the pitch
3. When you change the tempo, the pitch is reset to 0% so you can't first get the track in key, then adjust the speed.

Serato make a pro-tools plugin called pitch 'n' time which allows you to do crazy stuff with pitch stetching and time stretching in pro-tools, it sounds amazing. Check the samples here -> www.serato.com
Serato will release a plugin for SSL that incoporates some of this technology.
Trat 12:11 PM - 19 June, 2006
Wow is that it, I just want to play records from my notebook :-7. Don't care for all that. Are people really craving for that? Sounds like Ableton stuff to me: everything is pitch-locked in there too. IMO, it doesn't sound nice to here a mix with that stuff. Maybe it's good for trance music with all the melodies and stuff.
nobspangle 4:38 PM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:
Wow is that it, I just want to play records from my notebook :-7. Don't care for all that. Are people really craving for that? Sounds like Ableton stuff to me: everything is pitch-locked in there too. IMO, it doesn't sound nice to here a mix with that stuff. Maybe it's good for trance music with all the melodies and stuff.

I think it makes a difference to people who want to mix tracks with vocals at high pitch shifts. Maybe you'll like the Serato version more since it should sound a lot better than other offerings.
joerockets 11:20 PM - 19 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

master tempo's gonna be a paid firmware upgrade...not a software release...

Do you mean a frimware upgrade to the SL1 hardware?
nobspangle 7:47 AM - 20 June, 2006
Quote:
Do you mean a frimware upgrade to the SL1 hardware?

Pitch 'n Time will be a software upgrade. I think the license key is going to be stored in the SL 1 firmware, so the license will be attached to the serial number of the SL 1 you are using.
boabmatic 8:56 AM - 20 June, 2006
so does that mean if you have a ttm57 & also a SL1 box you'll need to buy 2 key's if you want to you P'n'T on both systems?
nobspangle 9:23 PM - 21 June, 2006
Quote:
so does that mean if you have a ttm57 & also a SL1 box you'll need to buy 2 key's if you want to you P'n'T on both systems?

As I understand it, yes. I don't think this is completely finalised yet.
s42000 6:32 PM - 22 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:

As I understand it, yes. I don't think this is completely finalised yet.

I hope it will not be so ...
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 4:28 PM - 25 June, 2006
This is too Stanton-esque for us t have to pay for any up-grade.
Supagee 6:09 PM - 25 June, 2006
i would pay for a program of that caliber to be added to my SSL
Trat 10:09 AM - 26 June, 2006
I wouldn't pay for it. But hey, I also wouldn't use it ;)
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 5:54 PM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:
i would pay for a program of that caliber to be added to my SSL

Stop it! Stop it! They read this stuff! Don't you want to save money?!
mexicannnnnn 6:20 PM - 26 June, 2006
Clark they already said that PnT pluggin will be a paid one for under $50.

Also, Serato is a software company how do you expect them to stay in business without selling more "software"?
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 6:40 PM - 26 June, 2006
Quote:
Clark they already said that PnT pluggin will be a paid one for under $50.

Also, Serato is a software company how do you expect them to stay in business without selling more "software"?

Please give me a break, my fellow "Beaner." They have made P-L-E-N-T-Y on the Rane Serato Scratch Live, every variation and the TTM-57, which more than paid for R&D, parts and marketing.

Don't be a "House Beaner." How do I know you're not a Serato plant? Huh?! You could be a part of "Big Brotha.'"

Part of the purpose of this forum is for Serato to test responses on their hardcore patrons. The average Serato user probably isn't on here--just the die-hard, loyal types, so I think the forum isn't perfect for judging trends, but it's great for testing betas! It's great for a company to have a way to communicate with their loyal base.

I'm not criticizing--just observing. I'm really starting to like the people on here, by-the-way.
mexicannnnnn 6:55 PM - 26 June, 2006
I dont work for Serato (they didnt want me ;-) ) but I am in the business of making software.

Now, I personally beleive Serato should make a basic key lock for free but have their PnT pluggin for $50.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 8:41 AM - 27 June, 2006
Quote:
I dont work for Serato (they didnt want me ;-) ) but I am in the business of making software.

Now, I personally beleive Serato should make a basic key lock for free but have their PnT pluggin for $50.

Me no understand.
DJMark 1:02 PM - 27 June, 2006
Quote:
Me no understand.

Pitch & Time plug-in: extremely high quality results (pitch shift with locked tempo, tempo shift with locked pitch, or a combination of both). Results are high-quality enough that people have used it on full mixes of songs and released the results.

Typical "Master Tempo"/"Key Lock" algorithm (as found on DJ-type CD players): much lower-quality results, with readily-audible artifacts, though some people feel it adequate for DJ use.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 3:21 AM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:
Quote:
Me no understand.

Pitch & Time plug-in: extremely high quality results (pitch shift with locked tempo, tempo shift with locked pitch, or a combination of both). Results are high-quality enough that people have used it on full mixes of songs and released the results.

Typical "Master Tempo"/"Key Lock" algorithm (as found on DJ-type CD players): much lower-quality results, with readily-audible artifacts, though some people feel it adequate for DJ use.

Me already know this. Me used Pro-Tools great to small, M-Box I to full-blown systems. I used to work at Guitar Centers here in Atl. I know Digi-realted stuff quite well.

I didn't understand

"Now, I personally beleive Serato should make a basic key lock for free but have their PnT pluggin for $50."
DJMark 6:15 AM - 28 June, 2006
He was saying that the plug-in should be a paid upgrade, and that Serato should build in "garden-variety" Master Tempo/Key-Lock (lower quality but still usable) for free.

Theoretically the functionality could be identical, with a "high-quality" setting available only to those who paid for it.
boabmatic 8:59 AM - 28 June, 2006
Don't think serato is in the business of releasing 'low grade' software solutions , think its 'high quality' or nothing so don't think they would release 2 versions of PnT.

It also increases the testing on any new release as they have to test 2 versions of PnT.
DJMark 9:43 AM - 28 June, 2006
I can see logical arguments for either scenario. One thing to consider is that people using slower machines might only be able to make use of a "low grade" algorithm due to the CPU usage for the higher-quality one.
DJMark 9:48 AM - 28 June, 2006
I can see logical arguments for either scenario. One thing to consider is that people using slower machines might only be able to make use of a "low grade" algorithm due to the CPU usage for the higher-quality one.
Konix 1:11 PM - 28 June, 2006
Quote:
He was saying that the plug-in should be a paid upgrade, and that Serato should build in "garden-variety" Master Tempo/Key-Lock (lower quality but still usable) for free.

Hate comparing SSL to FS, but in FS they had the low/mid/high quality settings for key lock to choose from.
mexicannnnnn 2:42 PM - 28 June, 2006
I was refering to a key lock for free (ie you can change your pitch but the key of the track always stays where it was at 0 on the pitch.) This can be a basic version.

PnT, you would be able to change the key and hold the tempo... or change the tempo and keep the key. Their high quality stuff.
Clark @ Breakin-Records.com 3:52 PM - 28 June, 2006
Why are people on this board so sypathetic to Serato's development time? I have nothing against Serato. I just feel that I'm the customer, and I paid for the product. Therefore, I'm not going to kiss keister on this forum, as too many do.
s42000 4:39 AM - 29 June, 2006
Quote:
The average Serato user probably isn't on here--just the die-hard, loyal types, so I think the forum isn't perfect for judging trends, but it's great for testing betas! It's great for a company to have a way to communicate with their loyal base.

They are here .... close to 15000 of them .. just lurking in the shadows. Most come out of the woodword when they smell free T-Shirts or free CV ... then disappear back into the shadows.
s42000 4:40 AM - 29 June, 2006
*woodwork*
Trat 6:51 AM - 29 June, 2006
Did anyone say free T-Shirts or free CV?
Serato, Forum Moderator
Sam 8:51 AM - 29 June, 2006
*moved to general
Trat 12:26 PM - 29 June, 2006
Th eonly thing I would (consider) pay(ing) for is additional drivers that will turn my SL1 unit into a low-latency audio interface. It has to be good though: no half-work stuff.