DJing Discussion

This area is for discussion about DJing in general. Please remember the community rules when posting and try to be polite and inclusive.

IS IT WORTH IT TO TRADE A RANE 62 FOR A DJM S9?

SG SOUNDS 2:32 PM - 29 June, 2016
Just want hear opinions from those that had the 62 before and currently using the djm s9
DTweed 5:27 PM - 29 June, 2016
I'd keep the 62 personally because you can still use scratch live and the bridge. I don't use a lot of functions on either mixer so that's the sticking point for me
Niro 5:36 PM - 29 June, 2016
I would do some research on the S9 before you trade. Even thou the 62 is older, it can still do a lot more than the S9. The S9 layout is a little more simple, but is a little limited. I prefer the 62.
Dj Rehab 8:46 PM - 29 June, 2016
I had a 62 for 2 years and have a S9 now. S9 is a better mixer, the cues are super high quality and the the headphones have a fader like the 57. What exactly can a 62 do that a S9 can't? Bridge is about it. There's a reason that was completely abandoned and I have absolutely ZERO regrets. SDJ runs much, much smoother on the S9! As a matter of fact in has never once crashed on me with the S9. I think the Pioneer actually sounds better than the 62! The mic section on the Pioneer is 100% better as well with talkover and the Pioneer's efx are much better, starting with the echo out which is money! I never liked the echo on a 62 after coming from a 57.
eugguy 9:33 PM - 29 June, 2016
No. 62>S9.
Mr. Goodkat 10:13 PM - 29 June, 2016
i went 900srt to s9 to 62 this year, what i think the s9 is a better overall mixer, but im more comfortable with the rane and the ability to go from ssl to sdj.

the clear upside to me are the pads, s9s are better but easily triggerable and 8 is so many and it looks toyish to me with all the color. 62 buttons are small and kinda suck esp the flex fx(which i often try to trigger and miss or dont press correctly). The efx on the s9 are much better(and u can use the sdj efx from the mixer) but really i would have to play a really deep techno or house set to really get as much use out of them as i would like(i make money playing . Having the ability to use 2 efx at once on the s9 is dope. the 62s knobs are awful in the dark and too small imo and im gonna get some cooler caps once i decide to part with 65$ for some cooler caps.

i compare it like a luxury sports car(s9) to a street mod race car. (62)

to each their own. i wish i could have both for a year and then decide.

im still happy with the 62 and wouldnt switch.

if the s9 has a good 2 yr run and i can get SDJ to consistently run with whatever computer i have at the time, i'd probably cop a s9 again.
Mr. Goodkat 10:14 PM - 29 June, 2016
Quote:
(i make money playing open format gigs and really only need an echo or reverb here and there
dj_soo 11:59 PM - 29 June, 2016
I used the S9 at a gig the other night and while I like it, I prefer my 62 + an SP1. The SP1 covers the pad controls and the S9 has some funky design decisions that I really can't get with. If they addressed that in a mk2 version I might consider it.

If I were upgrading from an old 57 tho, I'd probably choose the S9 over the 62.
DJMark 12:25 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
I'd keep the 62 personally because you can still use scratch live

This.
Mr. Goodkat 12:35 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
the S9 has some funky design decisions

i thought so too, the gain being on the side and its really dark, if you have low light.

i like the 62 cueing over the toggle like a 57 or s9.
Niro 12:44 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
I had a 62 for 2 years and have a S9 now. S9 is a better mixer, the cues are super high quality and the the headphones have a fader like the 57. What exactly can a 62 do that a S9 can't?

I'll list a few things, Aux 3rd channel cueing/filter, Split cue, Headphone tone control, mic meter, Independent session out, 5 midi layers for each channel.....etc.

I would consider myself a power user, I personally like to have all my controls on my mixer and not have to plug anything else in. Saves time and is just more efficient for shows. One of the main things that was annoying was the inability to map the scroll and load buttons independently to each channel.

The 62 allows me to map all of my serato functions and Mix Emergency functions I need.
Niro 12:46 AM - 30 June, 2016
I also prefer the Rane gain structure and metering system with the floating bit rate. IMO the 62 sonically sounds better.
thorissr 12:49 AM - 30 June, 2016
Being a current owner and lover of both the s9 and the 62, I prefer my s9 over the 62 mainly because everything is intuitively laid out for my playing style. My sets have improved tremendously after I purchased the s9. The only edge I give to the 62 is the ability to use ssl and sdj. If you never ever plan to use ssl, my vote goes for the s9.

Of course ymmv.
dj_soo 1:00 AM - 30 June, 2016
the biggest issue with the S9 for me is the lack of independent control functions for the pads - unlike every other SDJ pad controller out there. I need to be able to say run Loop Roll on the left side while cueing on the right - impossible with the S9.

The 2nd major issue I have is the loop controls being buttons rather than a knob. It's fine if you don't use the beat jump feature, but if you do, a knob (like on the 62 or the SP1) works much better than halving and doubling buttons due to the loop roll and auto loop sharing the same numbers.

Everything else is relatively minor and there's also a lot of things on the S9 I really like better than on the 62.
pdidy 1:17 AM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
Quote:
I'd keep the 62 personally because you can still use scratch live

This.

Scratch life is still a high priority to me so I'm biased to the 62.
pdidy 1:17 AM - 30 June, 2016
Scratchlive
Lou Dog 6:44 AM - 30 June, 2016
Haven't used the S9 but own and really like the 62. Best mixer I've personally ever owned. I'd consider the S9 but like others have said those gain knobs are the dagger for me. Also just browsing these forums I've seen too many issue with the S9. I'm on a 62 with SDJ 1.7.7 on 10.8.5 and never had a single issue

I'm waiting to see what the S9 MK2 is about
CMOS 2:55 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
Scratchlive

You had it right the first time.... ScratchLife... cuz until i open SDJ and have a completely problem free jitter free stutter free dropout free set at home on the lowest buffer like i do with ssl im fuckin scratchlive for life.
djgrits7 3:32 PM - 30 June, 2016
Quote:
I had a 62 for 2 years and have a S9 now. S9 is a better mixer, the cues are super high quality and the the headphones have a fader like the 57. What exactly can a 62 do that a S9 can't? Bridge is about it. There's a reason that was completely abandoned and I have absolutely ZERO regrets. SDJ runs much, much smoother on the S9! As a matter of fact in has never once crashed on me with the S9. I think the Pioneer actually sounds better than the 62! The mic section on the Pioneer is 100% better as well with talkover and the Pioneer's efx are much better, starting with the echo out which is money! I never liked the echo on a 62 after coming from a 57.

yo!! I thougt the bridge was discontinued in serato dj? so,62 wouldn't stock it anymore right???
SG SOUNDS 12:23 PM - 2 July, 2016
thanks for all the input guys i think ill just keep my rane 62 and wait and see if they have a new mixer coming in the near future
DJ Marv the Maverick 6:49 AM - 4 July, 2016
Great discussion here, I was also considering the S9 but just don't feel comfortable being locked officially into Serato DJ.

If Pioneer comes out with a version 2 that supports both RKBX and SDJ then I might consider it.

I know currently RKBX is unofficially supported and people have to map the controls but to me that's not good enough for playing live.

I will just like to have a get out of jail card in case something goes wrong with Serato.

I have an SP6 which I haven't even gigged with this year, sometimes less is more for me. I do open format gigs and a weekly funk... I don't need anything more than what the 62 is offering right now.

It's actually liberating to be able to resist the temptation to get the newest and flashy gear.